Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Honestly, SEGA is just going to pull  the plug on archie if they have to strep in. From SEGA's perspective there is no reason in letting this drag on any futher when IDW is just a phone call away. 

Transformers

Goldzilla

TMNT

They have done wonders for these licenses and I'm positive Sonic would get the same treatment. Take THEIR license and let Penders and Archie duke it out without the extra negative publicity on Sonic.

Ken doing this does not affect Archie or Sega.  He's asking old creatives if he can buy their characters, which have already been removed from the book for the same reason Ken's were; Archie can't prove ownership of them ever went to Sega in the first place.  Archie and Sega would not get involved in Ken doing this, aside from it giving them even more reason to never do business with Ken again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly wouldn't count Sega really bothering to give the license to anyone else unless it really ranked in money for them (not doubting it has, but still).

We'll he is back on his Sega/Archie bashing train again.

Seriously, Sega/Sonic Team's games were on the up and up until Boom, even Lost World while not selling well wasn't a bomb in the respect that '06 and Boom were with ratings. He's basing his argument in either a game that came out 10 years ago, or a game that wasn't even Sonic Team's and also isn't a main series Sonic title.

As far as Archie goes, the majority of media outlet reviews as well as fan perception not just on here, but in most forum locations has been highly positive. The new arcs and characters, as well as the purge generally being applauded.

I really don't know where he gets this info that people are dead against how Sega and Archie has treated Sonic lately (minus Boom).

• Thumbs Up 3

It's just him maintaining his narrative that, somehow, his work on Sonic and especially Knuckles (whom he claims to have 'given value to') was the most iconic, beloved, successful, etc, and that he and he alone 'cares' about Sonic and the 'potential' of the franchise, unlike those small-minded FOOLS at SEGA/Archie who just cannot see 'the big picture' like he can. This is the same guy who steadfastly denies that it was more the strength of the overall franchise based on the *games* that helped sales of the comic, instead choosing to present himself as an essential part of Sonic's success. It isn't based on anything but the narrative that he's constructed for himself. 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I kind of hope that Flynn is going to reintroduce a revamped Fiona Fox. It would be interesting to see Penders' reaction.

Yeah, he won't do it. At least not resembling enough for Penders to care.

Can someone tell me where Ken actually plans on getting the money to buy up all these character rights?  I mean I'm sure they won't come cheap especially with some of these creators that don't like him or don't understand his plan.  He went through a whole court case which I'm sure made him take a hit, he hasn't produced ANY work in years, he hasn't sold ANY LSC merchandise nor provided any update that the project is still alive in any fashion.  Sure he has bought and resold Sonic Archives (which by the way is that legal?) at conventions but to have a table at a convention is expensive in of itself (especially if you are promoting a project that doesn't actually exist).  Now I don't know what his wife does but how can he think that buying rights to characters that do not appear at all will be profitable?

And he really really really needs to be clear on his wording.  He keeps saying "SONIC rights" and that is confusing some people.  He isn't going after the rights to the franchise, he is going for the rights of former characters once used in that franchise.  He needs to be more responsible and actually be clear on what he says because so far he has been switching up terms making everyone confused and him not correcting anything.  That is really incredibly irresponsible on his part and down right unprofessional (not like he has been so professional in recent years).

Now if he REALLY is talking about wanting to buy the Sonic license from Archie/Sega, then he is too far removed from reality at this point...which unfortunately is a likely possibility...

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, Tenko said:

We'll he is back on his Sega/Archie bashing train again.

Seriously, Sega/Sonic Team's games were on the up and up until Boom, even Lost World while not selling well wasn't a bomb in the respect that '06 and Boom were with ratings. He's basing his argument in either a game that came out 10 years ago, or a game that wasn't even Sonic Team's and also isn't a main series Sonic title.

As far as Archie goes, the majority of media outlet reviews as well as fan perception not just on here, but in most forum locations has been highly positive. The new arcs and characters, as well as the purge generally being applauded.

I really don't know where he gets this info that people are dead against how Sega and Archie has treated Sonic lately (minus Boom).

I would argue that lost world being " nothing the videogame" is a lot worse than boom, in boom tried and is trying to be something and I see room for future improvement, Unlike lost world where I see nothing filled space. He's full of shit though, or just crazy. Anyone else just think he's just kind of nuts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Re: buying and reselling Archives.

In my view, they contain stories has wrote and/or drew so he probably has a right to so.

3 hours ago, Detective Panda said:

In my view, they contain stories has wrote and/or drew so he probably has a right to so.

That, and you can generally sell something you own.  I can sell the Sonic Archives books I own if I wanted to.  Ken can too.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do wonder if, in addition to the monetary incentive from resales, he's intending to get as many of the characters he can so that - in his mind - he will look more attractive for SEGA to come to when they see the light and want to restructure the franchise around the old Archie continuity, as he seems to be hoping they will due to it 'making most sense'? I suppose the logic would be that while SEGA wouldn't want to have to deal with a whole ton of different copyright owners and thus would be disincentivised to try to return to the old continuity, they'd be more willing to deal with a single person who owns the majority of the loose non-Archie owned characters.

Gotta catch 'em all!!!

:lol::blink:

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, chaosjam said:

Can someone tell me where Ken actually plans on getting the money to buy up all these character rights?  I mean I'm sure they won't come cheap especially with some of these creators that don't like him or don't understand his plan.  He went through a whole court case which I'm sure made him take a hit, he hasn't produced ANY work in years, he hasn't sold ANY LSC merchandise nor provided any update that the project is still alive in any fashion.  Sure he has bought and resold Sonic Archives (which by the way is that legal?) at conventions but to have a table at a convention is expensive in of itself (especially if you are promoting a project that doesn't actually exist).  Now I don't know what his wife does but how can he think that buying rights to characters that do not appear at all will be profitable?

And he really really really needs to be clear on his wording.  He keeps saying "SONIC rights" and that is confusing some people.  He isn't going after the rights to the franchise, he is going for the rights of former characters once used in that franchise.  He needs to be more responsible and actually be clear on what he says because so far he has been switching up terms making everyone confused and him not correcting anything.  That is really incredibly irresponsible on his part and down right unprofessional (not like he has been so professional in recent years).

Now if he REALLY is talking about wanting to buy the Sonic license from Archie/Sega, then he is too far removed from reality at this point...which unfortunately is a likely possibility...

I think he's far enough outside of reality that Bill Cipher thinks he's being outlandish.

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

That, and you can generally sell something you own.  I can sell the Sonic Archives books I own if I wanted to.  Ken can too.

I think you might be confused here; you're talking about a physical copy of a book you had purchased from a retailer, who in turn bought it from Archie, who published it.

Seems like Ken's talking about publishing his own version of the Archives and selling them because he worked on them/owns the rights to some of the characters, unless I missed something in the conversation.

10 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I think you might be confused here; you're talking about a physical copy of a book you had purchased from a retailer, who in turn bought it from Archie, who published it.

Seems like Ken's talking about publishing his own version of the Archives and selling them because he worked on them/owns the rights to some of the characters, unless I missed something in the conversation.

I was referring to Chaosjam and Panda's posts:

7 hours ago, chaosjam said:

Sure he has bought and resold Sonic Archives (which by the way is that legal?) at conventions...

5 hours ago, Detective Panda said:

• Thumbs Up 1

I just noticed something - remember that confusing tweet he made a short while ago while he was saying that the franchise should rebuild the brand around SatAM/Archie, when he seemingly out of nowhere said that he would "...have no interest in guiding the Sonic franchise at this point with too many cooks to answer to" (emphasis mine). I bet you that this ties in with what we're seeing now - buying out the other "cooks" to a point where he would be the sole 'guide' of the non-Archie owned Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 8

You're probably not gonna like what I'm about to say, but hear me out.

I hope he does buy the copyrights from the other creators. Why?

When he got the rights to his characters thanks to lost contracts, it opened the floodgate for ANY and ALL creators to lay claim to their characters. This means if Archie were to use any of the old characters or reprint the old comics, it would have to go through a lot of channels for everyone to get royalties. Some issues may have characters from four or five creators. If they had to just pay ONE, it would be much easier for them and it would actually make it possible for us fans to actually see reprints again. 

That said, I seriously doubt he could get them off of everybody. Especially Bollers.

On 2/24/2016 at 4:17 PM, RappedinBlacX said:

Honestly, SEGA is just going to pull  the plug on archie if they have to strep in. From SEGA's perspective there is no reason in letting this drag on any futher when IDW is just a phone call away. 

Transformers

Goldzilla

TMNT

They have done wonders for these licenses and I'm positive Sonic would get the same treatment. Take THEIR license and let Penders and Archie duke it out without the extra negative publicity on Sonic.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Well by that logic, someone should buy the rights, it just shouldn't be Penders.

The problem with that idea is that I'm pretty sure none of the other creators care.

2 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Image-only posts are considered spam and thus a no-no. Also, I...really don't know what point you're trying to make with this image, though perhaps it would help if I knew anything about Godzilla.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I...really don't know what point you're trying to make with this image, though perhaps it would help if I knew anything about Godzilla.

He was making a joke about how RappedinBlacX misspelled Godzilla as Goldzilla.

1 hour ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

The problem with that idea is that I'm pretty sure none of the other creators care.

Image-only posts are considered spam and thus a no-no. Also, I...really don't know what point you're trying to make with this image, though perhaps it would help if I knew anything about Godzilla.

I was making a joke. RappedinBlacX spelled Godzilla GOLDzilla. I even bolded the word. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/25/2016 at 2:20 AM, Jason the Jackass said:

You're probably not gonna like what I'm about to say, but hear me out.

I hope he does buy the copyrights from the other creators. Why?

When he got the rights to his characters thanks to lost contracts, it opened the floodgate for ANY and ALL creators to lay claim to their characters. This means if Archie were to use any of the old characters or reprint the old comics, it would have to go through a lot of channels for everyone to get royalties. Some issues may have characters from four or five creators. If they had to just pay ONE, it would be much easier for them and it would actually make it possible for us fans to actually see reprints again. 

That said, I seriously doubt he could get them off of everybody. Especially Bollers.

I can see why you would think that but we are talking about Ken Penders here.  Sure paying just one creator is easier than paying several but we are talking about the guy who won't allow you to use his characters unless you change basically the entire format of the series itself, a fact he constantly skirts around when saying "Archie themselves decided to not use my characters", effectively placing the blame squarely on only them.  I'm sure that he still wouldn't make it easy on Archie to continue reprinting Archives no matter how simple the process is or should look on paper.

And I would hope that Bollers would have more sense to keep his characters then sell to Ken.  Let's look at it this way, Ken is offering creators a one-time lump sum and then looking to benefit from the reprints correct?  If Archie approached all past creators and struck some sort of level ground, all creators could benefit for as long as the reprints were around.  That would make Ken's proposal actually look small in comparison to the benefits of letting Archie continue with their characters.  I would think (and hope) it would be in Archie's best interest to start reaching out to cut Ken off at the pass.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wonder what sources told him that anyway?  Fox News?  Honestly, he must (for once) feel a little embarrassed after getting shot down in flames like that.  Hopefully he learns his lesson and doesn't spout out anything like that unless he's got official word, but I'm not holding my breath.