Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

That is usual Penders standard. Not very good shading, colouring, Lara sticks out from the others and Mykael looks like hs head is about to be eaten by a ravenous shark. Also here's a game. See if Penders has traced over an actors face for Mykael this time. Is it Anthony Mackie again? Or Will Smith? Let's find out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, uh, at least he's not blatantly using Anthony Mackie's likeness anymore...?  Or at least he gave him a new haircut.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Promethean0416 As a general board rule, image-only posts aren't allowed. I can see why you're sharing it, but just as future reference, be sure to elaborate a bit on it. Otherwise it just comes across as spam.

As for the image... well, I'm not entirely surprised everyone's so tall (this being his bare minimum workaround with Sonic-esque designs), but it's still awkward to look at because they have SEGA Echidna designs still. Don't really know what to make of Taelor's face. The cynic in me is thinking he just didn't have a good reference of Mackie to trace that fit this pose, but maybe he's trying harder to not blatantly lift people's likenesses for his work. It does at least resemble the model he had made a while back. And is it just me, or do Lara-Su's feet look a little too small?

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

@Promethean0416 As a general board rule, image-only posts aren't allowed. I can see why you're sharing it, but just as future reference, be sure to elaborate a bit on it. Otherwise it just comes across as spam.

As for the image... well, I'm not entirely surprised everyone's so tall (this being his bare minimum workaround with Sonic-esque designs), but it's still awkward to look at because they have SEGA Echidna designs still. Don't really know what to make of Taelor's face. The cynic in me is thinking he just didn't have a good reference of Mackie to trace that fit this pose, but maybe he's trying harder to not blatantly lift people's likenesses for his work. It does at least resemble the model he had made a while back. And is it just me, or do Lara-Su's feet look a little too small?

Yeah, sorry about that. I had trouble adding what I had to say with the image in my post. What are the steps to do so so it does not happen again?

Regarding that, it's mainly because of the lack of consistency on that human character's face. First, he's a purple people eater, then Eddie Murphy, then Anthony Mackie, now...maybe someone from an MTV series?

6 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I had trouble adding what I had to say with the image in my post. What are the steps to do so so it does not happen again?

Regarding that, it's mainly because of the lack of consistency on that human character's face. First, he's a purple people eater, then Eddie Murphy, then Anthony Mackie, now...maybe someone from an MTV series?

It's fine. I had a feeling there was probably some glitch, but I put on my mod hat by reflex. Sorry about that.

You should be able to just edit your post and write underneath the image (hit enter/return you should be able to drop down to the next line). Unless you're on mobile, in which case, good luck.

Just now, Zaysho said:

It's fine. I had a feeling there was probably some glitch, but I put on my mod hat by reflex.

You should be able to just edit your post and write underneath the image (hit enter/return you should be able to drop down to the next line). Unless you're on mobile, in which case, good luck.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks!

Anyway, I looked over at Mr. Penders' Twitter page and got a little insight why his characters have such inconsistent designs. He's apparently refining his style, yet these are more or less his "final products". Or am I reading that tweet wrong? 

Right now, I'm still adjusting to this forum's style, so I can't post Twitter snippets or links yet. Those interested will have to look at his Twitter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gah, dat Captain Taelor. He really is the man of a thousand faces; I don't think we've seen a single image of the guy that has been consistently portrayed. Also... that helmet is still stupid looking, I'm sorry to say. As is the rest of his outfit, at that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jason the Jackass said:

The Ugly Squad

Don't you frown

The Ugly Squad

They're coming to your town.

They'll fight off all the evil jerks.

As soon as they figure out how lighting works!

The Ugly Squad

It's their turn

The Ugly Squad

Dodge and burn

UGLY SQUAD ROLL CALL

Xero! Just who the heck is that guy?

Geoffrey!  He's a horrible slight to my eyes!

Lara-Su! She's just a weird looking freak.

Myhkal is a different black guy every week!

The Ugly Squad

Saving the day

The Ugly Squad

I wish they'd go away!

Ugly Squad!

Nice! Now all it needs is a catchy theme to go with it!

Just now, Tenko said:

When asked if he was going to replace Sonic in his stories or still use him he replied, "Depends what Sega wants to do"..seriously Penders, stop, just stop.

Seriously Sega isn't going to give you permission or let you licence Sonic for your space opera. They only just finished purging the comic and have Archie under lockdown following Sega's current direction for the series, they aren't going to let you run rampant with him again to promote your project. Especially after taking them through court via Archie and in the EA/Bioware case.

He seems to think anything can be solved with either money or "business"...just no.

Forget that. He still thinks that SEGA and Archie are currently in "trouble" because of not having his characters anymore, so therefore he still thinks SEGA are ready to do whatever he wants in order to get him back.

In reality, SEGA are probably laughing themselves silly every time they are mentioned, and I'm just counting down the days until Aaron decides to reply to him in order to take the complete piss out of him, which will likely cause Penders to have a meltdown, and get into an internet slap fight with Aaron, all the while Aaron laughs at his over the top reaction behind the scenes.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

CcqXdi6VAAAXTCy.jpg

I know he's trying to branch off from the sonic series but they look more like people with dreads than echidnas. Geoff is ok but still too human. It looks like somebody put a pandas head on a bodybuilders body

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Forget that. He still thinks that SEGA and Archie are currently in "trouble" because of not having his characters anymore, so therefore he still thinks SEGA are ready to do whatever he wants in order to get him back.

In reality, SEGA are probably laughing themselves silly every time they are mentioned, and I'm just counting down the days until Aaron decides to reply to him in order to take the complete piss out of him, which will likely cause Penders to have a meltdown, and get into an internet slap fight with Aaron, all the while Aaron laughs at his over the top reaction behind the scenes.

He really has no clue about SEGA. They historically do not cotton well to outsiders, and would gladly sink the company straight out of the hardware business than let someone from America lead them to glory the world over.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to go off on a long thing about how this is not how you do a group shot, but apparently he was just trying to show how tall they are in comparison to each other, so, slightly less terrible than I feared.

On a different note, if I was Lara-Su I'd be incredibly angry that Geoffrey got the luxury of actual shorts. 

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Disonoid 3000 said:

On a different note, if I was Lara-Su I'd be incredibly angry that Geoffrey got the luxury of actual shorts.

It's a little hard to tell because the seam isn't there for the whole thing, but I assumed that was St. John's tunic, with just the belt dividing it. I only get the impression he isn't wearing pants because Xero isn't.

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Keep counting, I'm sure Webber actually likes his job and the last thing Pen needs is getting attention from an official SEGA employee.

On 3/2/2016 at 6:37 AM, Tylinos said:

Holy crap.  Geoffrey has almost Mary Sue levels of special skills.

Also, his description of Sonic: "...the blue-spined Erinaceinae..."

12 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

CcqXdi6VAAAXTCy.jpg

Holy cheese, the art gets worse every time. Geoffrey's face looks like he's got fish lips.

Also, I think the second pic confirms there's going to be another character bio for Taelor?

Okay, so for a lark I decided to do a side-by-side of all the images we've seen of Taelor so far. 

TNimbUE.jpg

I feel almost like the first two shouldn't count given that they weren't made by Penders, but it's still his design so whatever. Either way, as you can see, the precise style of his hair, facial hair, facial features and even eye color is not at all consistent designwise. He looks like a new person each time, and it makes one wonder why he bothered with the Mackie trace if thats NOT gonna be the final design for this piece of crap. 

Also, I checked the Mobius wiki regarding what a 'mark' is. If that's to be believed, a mark is approximately 1.4 centimeters, and in terms of feet that means that Geoffrey is 3'8 ft and Lara-Su 3'6 ft. Sooo either Penders has an entirely different mark in mind, or he done goofed up his proportions rather soundly, cause that's definitely not the height conveyed against the supposedly 6'2 Commander Taelor. Then again, this IS the guy whose 'official bio' for Robotnik listed him at being 177 lbs.... 

• Thumbs Up 9

Anyone else think the latest face of Taylor looks kinda like Coolio?  Because if it isn't just me, then Ken might've used another person's likeness... again.

I really like your style for those guys! :D I could totally see designs like that in a comic, cartoon, or animated movie. I'm particularly fond of your Spectre sketch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad you like the sketches Monkey! I did them when I was having a day out. Also I think QuantiumEdge might be right about the current image of Michael Taylor looking like Coolio... though I think it might have something to do with the hair. 

Elbows aside, I think you

1 hour ago, Mightyray said:

Since Mr Penders thinks designing aliens is hard I've decided to show you guys my old 2014(?) sketches of what the 'alien echidna' could look like if I was doing the designs... keep in mind that they are dated sketches. I know folks have done better but hey I'm a slow poke when it comes to showing off. 

Hide contents

maugc2.jpg 21oddhh.jpg

Left image: unimpressed Lara-su in a trekkie outfit. Right image, top teft: Lara side on. Top right is the back of her head where the tentacles come out. Middle left is the Praetorian. Middle right is Spectre. Bottom left is a side view of the Praetorian's side view with cybernetic eye. Very bottom is me figuring out how alien anatomy works with Julie-Su.  

2r6efee.jpg

What is love? Baby don't hurt me no more... forgot Julie-su's antennas... oops.

e5r0d4.jpg

Dad and baby Lara-su.

2nv78n9.jpg

Another sideview I wasn't sure of. Enjoy.

Elbows aside, I think you did pretty well. I like how you use tentacles for the dreadlocks, since it keeps a somewhat familiar element in your design while giving it a more original twist to keep it from being purely a copypaste.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad you like them Ed! The tentacles were pretty easy to come up with. All I had to do was think of octopuses at time. As for the elbows I tend to add the bony knobbly bits due to myself having rather bony elbows as a quirk. Though looking further I'm not too happy with with Lara folding her arms nor was I happy when I first drew them. 

5 hours ago, horridus said:

Okay, so for a lark I decided to do a side-by-side of all the images we've seen of Taelor so far. 

TNimbUE.jpg

I feel almost like the first two shouldn't count given that they weren't made by Penders, but it's still his design so whatever. Either way, as you can see, the precise style of his hair, facial hair, facial features and even eye color is not at all consistent designwise. He looks like a new person each time, and it makes one wonder why he bothered with the Mackie trace if thats NOT gonna be the final design for this piece of crap. 

Also, I checked the Mobius wiki regarding what a 'mark' is. If that's to be believed, a mark is approximately 1.4 centimeters, and in terms of feet that means that Geoffrey is 3'8 ft and Lara-Su 3'6 ft. Sooo either Penders has an entirely different mark in mind, or he done goofed up his proportions rather soundly, cause that's definitely not the height conveyed against the supposedly 6'2 Commander Taelor. Then again, this IS the guy whose 'official bio' for Robotnik listed him at being 177 lbs.... 

Huh, never imagined that I weigh more than Robotnik.

• Thumbs Up 3