Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Hmmm, not bad theories, given his psychotic insistence that any idea used by him is exclusively his and his alone regardless of how utterly generic they are. Only thing is, his words would seem to indicate that whatever his problem is it has to do with a digital release rather than anything character specific. It's the same thing he brought up last time he started grumbling Archie doing something or the other that went against the settlement, at least according to Penders. 

Edit: 

Perhaps, but surely he can't try call foul on a character that isn't his, and isn't under the "no parents" mandate, in having mother. Unfortunately Penders, Mother Nature trademarked and copyrighted that idea first.

As long as it isn't his character, which it obviously wouldn't be, then surely he wouldn't have a leg to stand on

Recall, this is a guy who wants to regard the idea of Alternate Timelines and Multiverse Theory in Sonic as being his own unique ideas, even though as General Concepts they cannot be copyrighted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Maybe he

Hide contents

sees the shillouette of Sally's mother in the latest issue and considers that to be Alicia. 

If that's the case, I don't think he can make a case. He has no definitive way of proving its Alicia specifically. It may be Sally's mother, but for all we know, her mother could be a completely new character.

On top of that, the fact it's a shillouette only throws Penders' case out the window.

If I remember correctly, back during Worlds Unite, they couldn't specifically show Street Fighter characters until Issue 8. However, I believe it was said on Bumbleking that a shillouette is a good placeholder due to an argument that the shillouette just happened to resemble the character, and wasn't actually the character.

Plus there's the fact Penders likes to throw hissy fits over anything so idk.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly confused every time I see Penders talk about supposed breach of agreement on the part of Archie but we're no closer to figuring out what that means. This is made more annoying by the fact that, in all likelihood, he probably can't even talk about these things, so this cryptic/vague nonsense of his loses any merit it should have and just looks like shitstirring--at this point I wonder why he doesn't just keep his mouth shut until we know if he's even taking Archie to court at all.

My best guess is that this relates back to the digital reprints he previously hinted at, going by the bit Tenko posted, but I'm not even sure how. I wasn't even aware that was still going on or that there was any movement on it. Are there more services that are supposed to be paying out? Or is there some larger problem with the re-released material? I'm a little reluctant to think this has anything to do with the silhouette of Sally's mother in #280 or the upcoming appearance of Nixus (who, in all likelihood, is probably Naugus), or whatever else Archie has dropped hints for lately. The timing of these things usually causes whatever mess he's creating to be blown out of proportion as having heavier consequences on the on-going book, but I am willing to admit it could be a possibility (this being a man who somehow copyrighted "Evil Sonic" and has Archie's and SEGA's hands tied over the Nocturnus for vague similarities), just not one I'd consider right now until he bothers/is able to tell us more.

Perhaps he used a silhouette of a character before and thinks he owns the idea of silhouettes in Sonic comics. Anything is possible at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh. It would be a tremendous and terrible irony if he WAS throwing a hissy fit over the silhouette of Sally's mom, given that he pulled THIS in that crappy Image Crossover. 

evdwjAf.png

When most people pull New Villain Stink, they limit themselves to reducing established baddies as jobbers. Not Penders though, ooooh no, he's gotta prove Droid a badass by having him capture cultural friggin' icons. Captain Copyright in action, folks!

Buuut yeah, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the book's content, and something more about the digital distribution. Course, all we can really do is speculate since, being so dedicated to expose Archie's wrongdoings, he seems adamant on not actually SPECIFYING anything. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, we're obviously supposed to take the poor, humble, impoverished creator at his word that something is wrong and rally around that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Did he post anything about the comic as of late? I've skipped large chunks of this topic because it seems to be nothing but his tirade of tweets about something archie related again.

As I said on his Twitter, it's not like he could start using Sonic/Knuckles and crew for this project of his if he intends to make income from it, without getting slapped with a much bigger and nastier lawsuit from Sega this time.

So he's probably threatening to perhaps use stories or elements of his that were ordered to be left with Archie as part of this legal agreement, the one that Archie are supposidly breaking. He can't really threaten more than that, considering he already had his content awarded to him and removed from the comics, with most of the reprints being on hiatus or cancelled already. Using Sega characters or changing the designs back or anything else he had to change about his work as part of the agreement wouldn't be a threat to Archie as much as just painting a target on his own head for Sega to see.

Then again Sega expected Archie to deal with it last time so who knows..maybe it would cause them more trouble if he went back on his side of things and argued that he did so due to Archie breaking their side first.

Even if Archie ended up losing their contract with Sega it wouldn't benefit him outside of satisfying his "revenge" tho. Whoever made a new deal with Sega (and it wouldn't be him), wouldn't have the Archie legacy and old books to consider, they would likely start again, or if they secured the current stuff reprint from after the reboot, especially since Sega isnt interested in the older stuff now by the sounds of it, so his pitch to sell them his rights to either them or the new company would be rejected...it's lose lose.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying the new Mega Drive Classics HUB on Steam when I noticed the old Archie Sonic comics scattered on the ground by the bed in the virtual bedroom. Good thing Penders didn't do the art for those covers, tho he did do the writing for at least one of them, only being pictures of the covers and being unreadable he can't claim infringement..otherwise I'll bet he would be decrying Sega on his Twitter again >.<;

• Thumbs Up 4

Unless someone decides to tell him, I doubt he'll even know about it. He doesn't seem to view the games as a factor at all in his life beyond Sonic Chronicles, given that he has demonstrated a woeful amount of ignorance. That being said, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if sooner or later it comes to his attention and he begins screaming about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't this exactly what happened with Mega Collection, only for that case to not gain any ground for basically the same reasons his case against SEGA/BioWare didn't (he made his claim far too late, IIRC)? Granted, the Steam thing is new, but if none of the covers had anything to do with him, nor are linked to anything he's produced (never mind the covers have nothing to do with the contents which aren't even reproduced--at least his complaint about Mega Collection had some merit due to the fact it featured a reprint of a story he wrote), I can't imagine even Pen would waste his breath other than to try to stir shit up with Shaw or whoever the covers were actually made by.

Yeah, what happened with Mega Collection was that it was well outside the statute of limitations.  This thing is definitely new enough to still be covered by the statute of limitations, but it sounds like he didn't draw any of the covers, so it doesn't really matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

That and the upgraded HUB is given for free when you own or purchase one of the Mega Drive Classics, so Sega aren't making any money from the HUB itself, nothing for him to claim so I doubt he would be interested in that respect either.

I did think it odd he announced he's going to the 25th Anniversary party recently too, considering as has been said his lack of interest in the games and characters outside of how he wrote them. I doubt there will be much if any Archie related stuff at said party, he would be awful bored there. He might have to admit the games, and products related to the games are far more influential and popular than his stories and characters were.

Either that or he will try to solicit interest in his fan fiction whilst there, trying to chat up Sega staff and patrons haha.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh man, you mean there's a chance that Penders and Iizuka will meet? I'd pay money to see how Iizuka would react to Penders' assertions about the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 9

Is he mad? If he goes to a Sonic themed event he will be recognised and horrible things will happen. I'm not sure he would be very safe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well he said he was attending via his Twitter. If that pans out or not is anyone's guess. I would have thought at least a few people, mainly from the Sonic based web community would recognize him, so yeah he would be putting himself in a position where he may be asked difficult questions. Would have to behave himself whilst there too, not like his online self at least. I just hope the fans attending also behave themselves if they see him. He may not be a paragon of the human race, but he doesn't deserve to be accosted by any angry mobs at what should be an enjoyable event either.

• Thumbs Up 7

Given his various statements directed at SEGA, I gotta wonder who this friend is and if they have any kind of awareness of what he's been up to via Twitter and his forums, to say nothing of the whole "LSC" thing. Ironic, given that Penders has at various times stated he was 'done' with Sonic... course, in the same breath he's also made wishy washy 'what if' statements about how Archie/SEGA could still totally work something out. 

Beyond possibly trying to worm his way back into Sonic somehow or soliciting his work, I really don't see why he'd participate. Maybe it's just to prove he's still important to Sonic or whatever. Here's hoping things don't end in a fiasco. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Well, you start by pressing your tongue to the front of the roof of your mouth...

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

He means he's considering including a sexual preference section in the upcoming bios, but isn't sure it really matters.  Personally, I'd say that if it needs to be mentioned (such as in Cobar's case), he can just note it in the history section, or consider including it on a character-by-character basis, like how Geoffrey had a "Number of Confirmed Kills" section.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would vote just mentioning it in a casual way, like- in the family section or something, mentioning that Cobar and the Emmissary are an item and just leaving it at that or bringing it up in the backstory. Going out of your way to list sexual preferences, when nobody else so far has had the same done, is gonna seem a little off-putting- like they're being singled out specifically and going "OH HEY THESE TWO ARE GAY JUST SO YOU KNOW". 

If he's going to actively change the data-files for everyone to reflect their preferences, then sure, then it can just be listed. Done that way it just becomes another trait.

Also, nice to see that Rotor is still gonna just be 'The Emissary'... gotta fill in those Star Trek reference quotients at all possible times, after all. Kinda shocked he's even going to give those two Data Files, particularly 'The Emissary'. Can't wait to hear about his background as a mechanical genius. 

• Thumbs Up 5

My gut instinct is to wince whenever I see this topic has been bumped, but I have to say, this is probably the least wince-worthy thing I've seen from him in some time. It's actually kind of an interesting question in this day and age.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know what yes please include Sexual preferences so that the Data Files will tell us literally anything about the Characters other than things they've done.

I guess it's more baseless fear mongering today than any actual work.  Remember when LSC was suppose to be published BEFORE 2016?

• Thumbs Up 9