Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I wonder if Ken Penders is as entertaining as Uwe Boll. I've meet him at a special screening in 2010. I'm not a huge fan of his movies but It was really fun and interesting. :)

20 hours ago, horridus said:

Much as I would like to see how he responds to actually being put on the spot, I really think it'd be best for people to just forget him and enjoy everything else that the convention has to offer. 

I'm more interested in him finally being at a convention that we can get a solid idea of his progress and ultimately WTF he has actually been doing.  What does the app look like?  Where is he at with the story?  Is he going to force you to take pics in front of a cardboard cutout that's 3 years old?  This is the opportunity to see what he really has done and if it holds water as to what he's said in the past.  Since it's a Sonic convention I would expect a few people on here would be attending and could report on it.

As for the controversy surrounding him going to the event, he was a major force in the comic back in the day.  You can't deny him that.  I personally am not fond of the guy, have no interest in meeting him but I know some people do because his characters did make an impact.  So I won't throw ill will to those fans and the convention organizers.  I'm just concerned if he is still going to act like he does on Twitter and other outlets, being pompous, unreceptive to critique, disagreeable and spreading half-truths about his whole ordeal with Archie.

• Thumbs Up 8

Aaand we have an update regarding LSC and where it is at the moment, along with the much talked about (and never seen) Phone App. 

Call me crazy, but once more I get this rather weird feeling that maybe, just maybe, it'd be more prudent to work on the actual book rather than trying to impress with a 'prototype App'. But that's just me, and what do I know, eh?

• Thumbs Up 9

It's actually pretty neat to know that the first volume is completely scripted. To me, that's a somewhat good omen that it might see release. I'm probably being too optimistic, though, especially considering its length. In honesty, I still want this to come out because I just want some payoff to all these shenanigans, and a laughably bad comic is good enough payoff for me. Plus, I can't help but be curious about what he'll do with the characters, even if the story that comes out of it won't necessarily be interesting in and of itself.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, really this thing should have been out a year ago. This thread is 240 pages without a single issue being printed!

I don't read comics, so I'm honestly not sure whether a debut issue in a series should be 176 pages, but that does seem a bit high. If that Geoffrey St John bio shows anything, dude needs an editor....

28 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

I don't read comics, so I'm honestly not sure whether a debut issue in a series should be 176 pages, but that does seem a bit high.

To be fair, he's been going for the graphic novel angle as opposed to a monthly issue sort of thing, so that's a pretty decent size. It probably works out better for him since he's more than likely self-publishing.

I suppose it is nice to know he's got everything plotted and scripted finally, though I've been under the impression that's been done and things were just held up on the art end. I am a bit curious what he's finally going to show off though. Not expecting to be wowed, but it will be nice to see something after all this time.

If the script sample is anything to go by, that oh so crucial river race that justifies the Su-Kini is gonna get started on page sixty. Given that it reads like something that should have occurred much earlier in the story, I dread to think of what kind of padding this thing is gonna have. 

Also, I'm not getting my hopes up with regards to the Phantom App, if only because Penders has a history of saying he'll do stuff and then either doing it much, much later or simply not coming up with anything at all. The last time he mentioned the thing he insisted that people were wowed by it, while at the same time refusing to provide even so much as a screen-cap or any kind of evidence that it existed, let alone was as good as he said it was. I'll be legitimately shocked if it turns out to exist this time around. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Hoo boy. Really hoping that's a peaceful meeting they're having there. 

Anyway... not much else to really say. The ugly Lien-Da cutout and the ugly poster are still there, and I can't tell if that other poster is something new or something old, and of course the desk is filled with Sonic books. I see no sign of his I-Pad anywhere, but that might be due more to the way the picture is taken, as well as the chance that it's being kept where we cannot see it.

So yeah, pretty much as expected.

Any more news about him at Revolution?  I've been hugely anticipating what would unfold when it finally happened.  Luckily I don't think anyone truly flipped out, otherwise we would have heard by now, so I'm not expecting anything too dramatic.

Also, are he and Iizuka arguing?  Picture doesn't look particularly friendly...

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god, look behind him.

It's the posters with Fuckles.

I kind of have to wonder what Iizuka's reaction to seeing Pen's stuff from LSC just staring him in the face. Either Pen's days are numbered before he gets a C&D now, or Iizuka just thinks it's some other weird American off-shoot. It's so bizarre seeing the two meet, though.

Has there been word about the app, or has Pen not done his presentation yet?

3 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I kind of have to wonder what Iizuka's reaction to seeing Pen's stuff from LSC just staring him in the face. Either Pen's days are numbered before he gets a C&D now, or Iizuka just thinks it's some other weird American off-shoot. It's so bizarre seeing the two meet, though.

Has there been word about the app, or has Pen not done his presentation yet?

It's possible they're arguing, if Penders didn't put the picture up, but rather a third party did.

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's possible they're arguing, if Penders didn't put the picture up, but rather a third party did.

It just looks to me like Penders is surprised he's being approached by someone from Sonic Team. I'm honestly not expecting much to come of this, bad or good, but I am strangely interested in hearing what kind of conversation they had.

2 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Penders is talking at the moment:

Oh my god. He brought up Knuckles being a blank slate and you can just here everyone going silent.

You have to love that everyone is still speaking over him too.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Mister X said:

I haven't really been listening to him much xD

I think he's doing the Q&A now

Correct. He's talking about SA and SA2 right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'll probably be available later, so I might consider doing a summary if no one else does (though no promises I'll be able to). I'm kinda just listening to the Q&A, and right now it's mostly stuff that's been corroborated from other people who worked on the book (the debacle over SEGA not supplying materials for Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2). At least what I've heard so far isn't anything new I haven't heard, either from him or anyone else.

Only thing that really stuck out is his claim that comic shops were ordering fewer copies of Sonic when he wasn't head writer after "End Game." Which I don't buy it because of what I know about the direct market sales of Knuckles versus Sonic, and Knuckles typically undersold even before that book went off the deep end.

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

It'll probably be available later, so I might consider doing a summary if no one else does (though no promises I'll be able to). I'm kinda just listening to the Q&A, and right now it's mostly something that's been corroborated from other people who worked on the book (the debacle over SEGA not supplying materials for Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2). At least what I've heard so far isn't anything new I haven't heard, either from him or anyone else.

We did get an interesting tidbit about SEGA attempting to turn the book into an Underground based comic.

And we have the potshot against SEGA. He's claiming they should leave well enough alone and let the writers/Penders run amok. He's going on about TV/Movies and shit and is now discussing how SEGA is "wasting the character", and he brought up the film. He's claiming that his film was meant to be specifically based on the SEGA series. As in the one based around the Archie canon.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

We did get an interesting tidbit about SEGA attempting to turn the book into an Underground based comic.

And we have the potshot against SEGA. He's claiming they should leave well enough alone and let the writers/Penders run amok. He's going on about TV/Movies and shit and is now discussing how SEGA is "wasting the character", and he brought up the film. He's claiming that his film was meant to be specifically based on the SEGA series. As in the one based around the Archie canon.

Oh wonderful, THAT old chestnut. Really hope the convention organizers are happy they gave the guy a new platform to spew THAT particular tripe. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, horridus said:

Oh wonderful, THAT old chestnut. Really hope the convention organizers are happy they gave the guy a new platform to spew THAT particular tripe. 

He wanted his movie to full on reboot Sonic in general, and for SEGA to use *his* version of Sonic, and use *his* world.

Oh fuck me. He's talking about *him* getting a movie off the ground, he's talking about how Sony isn't serious about using Sonic the fucking Hedgehog for a film. SONIC. ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR AND VIABLE GAME FRANCHISES, and he's talking about how him knowing a guy who got X-Men animated off of the ground meant he had "street cred" for getting a film off the ground, and they failed. He's claiming now Sony is licensing Sonic in order to bury it. 

And he brought up Ratchet's failure.

• Thumbs Up 6

Why have they asked him about the current Sonic movie? He doesn't know anything about Sony.

Whelp. Glad to know that when given the opportunity, Penders really will just re-hash the same crap he talks on his twitter. Juuuuust peachy.