Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

The dodge-and-burn is turned down a bit, but the coloring and shading is still ugly and all over the place, and while they're more defined and cleaner, the lines are still fucking ugly because this man has not learned how to make a Sonic character look proper in all of the two decades since he started working on the series, and actively gotten worse since then.

6 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

The dodge-and-burn is turned down a bit, but the coloring and shading is still ugly and all over the place, and while they're more defined and cleaner, the lines are still fucking ugly because this man has not learned how to make a Sonic character look proper in all of the two decades since he started working on the series, and actively gotten worse since then.

In fairness, he is not trying to ape the Sonic Aesthetic. Shamelessly rip off certain design characteristics that are unique to the franchise's interpretation of a certain monotreme species, yes, but this is in fact him trying to make it 'unique'.

That being said, yeaaah, Lara-Su image is still pretty lackluster. He's still overly fond of gradiant fills, design and color scheme is still unappealing, and the mug is pretty ugly looking as well. Frankly, at this rate, we're going to get an entire kitchen set of tie-in products before the book at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

New art of our main character... she still looks really old and her clothes blend in too well with her regular colors.

Yeah the coloring doesn't look good, her clothes are blending in with her skin! Also, the face still creeps me out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if he's not trying to draw Sonic style, it just looks gross. I could probably draw a better version if I tried. Or cared

• Thumbs Up 1

Arts not his worst but I still think he should maybe get that first volume out before doing merchandise.

• Thumbs Up 9

It really does look quite a bit better than most of his other drawings of her (when I went to see the image on his Twitter page and saw it next to the Lara-Su on his banner, the quality contrast was strong). I think there almost may be a glimmer of something decent there, but it still has a ways to go. Not only is the character design still really flawed for reasons that have been gone over again and again, but while it looks like he's trying to inject a bit more life into the character, she's still too stiff and blank-looking. Still, it's an improvement at least.

• Thumbs Up 6

Better or not, she still looks like a rank bile to me. I certainly wouldn't want my lips touching the edge of that when I'm drinking my lemonade out of a coffee mug. 

Because I don't drink coffee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not exactly surprising, but Rob confirmed for TLSC and The Storm.  Or, rather, confirmed for The Storm and the app.  It doesn't sound like he's in the main story.  Probably because the app and The Storm will be free, meaning he has no worries about infringing on Sonic's design in a paid thing with them.

EDIT: Adamis confirmed that Rob isn't in The Storm.  Ken just worded the tweet poorly.  He's only in the app.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yikes, now we'll practically get to see what Sonic himself would look like in Penders' new style.

Well, now we know the app name! ...Exciting, isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 6

Wait, isn't Rob O' The Hedge just Sonic dressed up as Robin Hood? As in, the same character design in an AU? I remember him hanging out with Amy, but not much else. SEGA must really hate dealing with Penders if they let that slide.

That mug design has legitimately upset me, btw, it's like a 12 year olds Sonic Creepypasta. 

6 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

Wait, isn't Rob O' The Hedge just Sonic dressed up as Robin Hood? As in, the same character design in an AU? I remember him hanging out with Amy, but not much else. SEGA must really hate dealing with Penders if they let that slide.

He said Rob's confirmed for the app, which will be (as far as we know) free.  It just once again shows that Ken can do whatever the heck he wants when it comes to the free stuff, but for all his bluster, he's not taking risks with the actual paid story.

EDIT, after seeing Adamis' post: Ah, alright.  Bad wording in that tweet, then.

This is a good thing. Hopefully Penders will be lazy enough not to change Rob's design too much and get Sega suing his ass.

Also very questionable that Amy finds someone who looks exactly like her cousin that attractive. 

Man, between this and Julie-Su, why was Penders trying to include these weird incestuous undertones?

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy's cousin or no, he's still ridiculously similar to Sonic in cosplay - and if the echidnas are still recognisably Sonic characters, how is Sonic himself going to fare?

Penders isn't giving away the app/motion comic side of this for free, is he? He can't be, he won't make a penny. 

2 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

Penders isn't giving away the app/motion comic side of this for free, is he? He can't be, he won't make a penny. 

The app is not TLSC itself.  From what he's been saying, it sounds like a thing that's including free bonuses like The Storm and character bios.

12 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

The app is not TLSC itself.  From what he's been saying, it sounds like a thing that's including free bonuses like The Storm and character bios.

Ah ok, I'll stop asking dumb questions, then!

25 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Are you sure? He's taken to referring to the first volume as a Trade Paperback lately and is pushing the app something fierce.

Oh goody goody gumdrops, ANOTHER App planned despite the first one not being released and despite the book itself not being released. Frankly I'll be astounded if Rob'O gets any play beyond appearing in a single panel just to verify that he exists. Penders never seemed to have many ideas or uses for him beyond being 'Hedgehog Robin Hood', and I don't really see that changing anytime in the future. Even his relationship with Amy just seemed like a tacked on afterthought. 

To those wondering how and why he would use Rob'O, recall, he has already referenced Sonic in the form of a so-far unnamed 'BLue Spined Erinacinae'. It's not such a stretch that by that logic, he would include Rob.

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Man, between this and Julie-Su, why was Penders trying to include these weird incestuous undertones?

Side Note: I am tired of people tying Julie-Su to incest. It's not incest anymore than a person marrying someone they met online. The genetic gap between the two is great enough for them to basically be from two different families. When you tie her to incest you get people who hate her latching on to it and giving me a headache when they come after me with it.

On topic response him putting Rob O in the app has me wondering, why even put him in? Tempting fate is not something you should be doing in his situation, That and I can't think of any reason for Rob to be super involved in anything going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, then don't outright put family trees in there where you can literally see the connection. Regardless of how many generations are involved, making it clear that they are related is going to raise eyebrows.