Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

15 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Okay, then don't outright put family trees in there where you can literally see the connection. Regardless of how many generations are involved, making it clear that they are related is going to raise eyebrows.

Bringing attention to it directly helps even less. I can deal with the family tree, that thing is broken and messed up anyways best just to ignore it. 

My point is that if characters are distantly related and you're trying to sweep it under the rug, don't advertise it. Just because you can ignore the bullshit family tree doesn't mean everyone can. Besides, isn't it also bad writing when the best advice people can give about something you made is to ignore it?

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

My point is that if characters are distantly related and you're trying to sweep it under the rug, don't advertise it. Just because you can ignore the bullshit family tree doesn't mean everyone can. Besides, isn't it also bad writing when the best advice people can give about something you made is to ignore it?

I didn't make the tree though. I am not even saying it's good writing. My point is calling it incest paints everything in a wrong light, and leads to headaches later down the road for people who support the couple, especially when we live in the digital age where anyone can have a voice. Also pointing out that it is not incest is not sweeping it under the rug, it's stating a fact.

I meant Penders more than anyone was trying to cover stuff up, just because he wrote himself into a corner early on by saying echidnas were closer related than you'd think, but then he went through with this shit anyway. Second, it's already painted in the wrong light because when Penders wrote it, their relationship fucking sucked. It was already painted in a bad light, and when Ian was at pen he didn't draw attention to it like Penders, and I minded it a hell of a lot less. Just because you can characterize it as "not incest" doesn't mean people won't feel weird when you show a family tree that points to them being related.

38 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I meant Penders more than anyone was trying to cover stuff up, just because he wrote himself into a corner early on by saying echidnas were closer related than you'd think, but then he went through with this shit anyway. Second, it's already painted in the wrong light because when Penders wrote it, their relationship fucking sucked. It was already painted in a bad light, and when Ian was at pen he didn't draw attention to it like Penders, and I minded it a hell of a lot less. Just because you can characterize it as "not incest" doesn't mean people won't feel weird when you show a family tree that points to them being related.

It's not incest, period, there is more than enough genetic diversity present, no "Characterizing" about it. 

Actually, there is, since I'm pretty sure there's no defined limit to what you can and can't call incest via a certain number of generations.

Regardless, It doesn't change anything I'm saying, because pairing characters up and then making it clear that they're also related multiple times, however distant, is going to make people uncomfortable. I dunno why you're arguing so hard for this, man, but you aren't going to change that, because it looks fucking weird from the angle the general public will take.

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Actually, there is, since I'm pretty sure there's no defined limit to what you can and can't call incest via a certain number of generations.

Regardless, It doesn't change anything I'm saying, because pairing characters up and then making it clear that they're also related multiple times, however distant, is going to make people uncomfortable. I dunno why you're arguing so hard for this, man, but you aren't going to change that, because it looks fucking weird from the angle the general public will take.

I asked my professor, it's not. Of course I had to explain why there was a disparity between the numbers on each side, easier said than done. 

Because when you keep perpetuating that it's "incest" it ends up coming back around and hurting people who support the couple. Especially when those who argue against it the most don't listen to reason and attack people.

1 minute ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

I asked my professor, it's not. Of course I had to explain why there was a disparity between the numbers on each side, easier said than done. 

Okay I'm still not seeing a defined limit though. These are also working on rules of a fictional universe that got blown up, so I don't see why we're still arguing semantics here

1 minute ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

Because when you keep perpetuating that it's "incest" it ends up coming back around and hurting people who support the couple. Especially when those who argue against it the most don't listen to reason and attack people.

Okay, but I'm not attacking anyone but Penders, and that's only because he's a dick. I don't care about people who support Julie x Knuckles, frankly from that point I'd be concerned at why they're shipping Knuc with a dead girl, but the point is that I'm talking about how outsiders would view it. And the way I saw it around a year and a half ago before getting into the comics, as an outsider, was the pairing of two echidnas, followed by a long and complicated explanation ending in "they're related". I don't like shipping in general, and I'd sooner attack that as a whole for the reason of it being stupid, than this particular branch of the stupidity. But regardless, it looks like what it fucking looks like even if it ain't that, and you aren't going to change that.

6 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Okay I'm still not seeing a defined limit though. These are also working on rules of a fictional universe that got blown up, so I don't see why we're still arguing semantics here

Okay, but I'm not attacking anyone but Penders, and that's only because he's a dick. I don't care about people who support Julie x Knuckles, frankly from that point I'd be concerned at why they're shipping Knuc with a dead girl, but the point is that I'm talking about how outsiders would view it. And the way I saw it around a year and a half ago before getting into the comics, as an outsider, was the pairing of two echidnas, followed by a long and complicated explanation ending in "they're related". I don't like shipping in general, and I'd sooner attack that as a whole for the reason of it being stupid, than this particular branch of the stupidity. But regardless, it looks like what it fucking looks like even if it ain't that, and you aren't going to change that.

Dropping this here. I obviously can't word this right. Being told you can't change people at all is kind of disheartening.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean, but I often assume things like that to avoid controversy, more than anything. Thinking I could change people has caused me some major problems in my personal life in the past.

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean, but I often assume things like that to avoid controversy, more than anything. Thinking I could change people has caused me some major problems in my personal life in the past.

I can't do that. I have too much personal stakes in things to lay down my arms. Probably my fault there.

On Topic again: If the Storm is almost done, then that means that the App will probably be coming out soon. I hope it takes a long time to come to Android, I can wait.

5 hours ago, horridus said:

Oh goody goody gumdrops, ANOTHER App planned despite the first one not being released and despite the book itself not being released. Frankly I'll be astounded if Rob'O gets any play beyond appearing in a single panel just to verify that he exists. Penders never seemed to have many ideas or uses for him beyond being 'Hedgehog Robin Hood', and I don't really see that changing anytime in the future. Even his relationship with Amy just seemed like a tacked on afterthought. 

To those wondering how and why he would use Rob'O, recall, he has already referenced Sonic in the form of a so-far unnamed 'BLue Spined Erinacinae'. It's not such a stretch that by that logic, he would include Rob.

Is it a separate app? I thought maybe he was making an app that had the basic "free" stuff, and you could buy "add-ons" that are basically the other stories.

I'm on thereal-guy side. Even if comics will mention that they distantly related, it doesn't makes it incest. By that regard we'll all related to some degree.

On a related note, since I can assume working on this is part of what slowed down progress on TLSC, Ken's new trailer for The Republic has landed, and it's still just as poorly written and acted as the preview episode was.  Except now he's tied this eight year old footage in with the 2016 election using footage of Donald Trump.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRepublicTV/videos/10154227475884854/

This is just...bad.  At least the preview video the stupid Moon Unit line to laugh at.  This just has rubbish acting and completely nonsensical logic for the sake of fearmongering.

• Thumbs Up 5

45 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

On a related note, since I can assume working on this is part of what slowed down progress on TLSC, Ken's new trailer for The Republic has landed, and it's still just as poorly written and acted as the preview episode was.  Except now he's tied this eight year old footage in with the 2016 election using footage of Donald Trump.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRepublicTV/videos/10154227475884854/

This is just...bad.  At least the preview video the stupid Moon Unit line to laugh at.  This just has rubbish acting and completely nonsensical logic for the sake of fearmongering.

Sheesh. I just tortured myself sitting through this. This thing is barely a 'trailer'.... it's really more like a badly made, Anti-Trump PSA made in the same mold of the various paranoid Anticommunist PSAs that were made during the 1950s, a cynical, badly done attempt at manipulating viewers in the most obvious ways possible while trying to ride the coattails of Trumps current publicity in a vain attempt at seeming 'current'. The acting is wooden and when it isn't wooden it's laughably terrible, barely anyone emotes in a way that feels natural, the camera work is non-existent, and up until the ending there is no music to provide even the veneer of tension. 

This thing *opens* with a pair of illegal latin american workers fleeing in terror from 'La Migra' and hopping aboard a truck that just happens to pull in for them. It's like something out of a comedy, only played *deadly* serious. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Apologies for the double post, but we got a bit of info regarding the App and the impending comic-con. 

And yet again we have a reference to the idea that yes, he does plan a physical release of some sort, unless the 'format' is meant for the App. Along with more useless bells and whistles for the Motion Comic that seems to make it less and less like a comic book. Times like this just sorta strengthens my theory that what he really wanted to do was get into movies and only 'settled' on comics. It'd explain why the more he reveals the less like a comic book this sounds like. 

But wait, there's more! 

So for Comic-Con, there's going to be an 'Upgraded Prototype' and then a 'Beta Version' in August, though he's making no promises since it took nearly a month for him to release that Republic Trailer after he initially promised it would be released within the week he announced it. I question how many versions this thing needs to go through given that he has all the pages and such, particularly since I'm pretty certain anyone who is genuinely interested in this would really rather just read it instead of waiting to have it narrated to them, but whatever. Smart move on his part not making any promises this time, given his past history with miscalculating how long it will take him to finish stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, horridus said:

And yet again we have a reference to the idea that yes, he does plan a physical release of some sort, unless the 'format' is meant for the App. Along with more useless bells and whistles for the Motion Comic that seems to make it less and less like a comic book. Times like this just sorta strengthens my theory that what he really wanted to do was get into movies and only 'settled' on comics. It'd explain why the more he reveals the less like a comic book this sounds like. 

Some part of me thinks this is some kind of many year long gambit on his part, that he'll keep on delaying this until some super famous and rich yet strangely ignorant producer will come across his work, randomly decide out of the blue that it's movie material, and sign Ken up for a billion dollar contract while Ken somehow hopes that the whole thing will slide under Sega's nose.

The other part of me thinks that's giving Ken too much credit.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, uh...  I think Julie-Su might be new art...?  Otherwise, this entire app title screen is just re-used artwork.

• Thumbs Up 8

Julie-Su's new I believe.

And absolutely fucking horrifying.

Wait, scratch that.  That Julie-Su art was used in the convention standee he made last summer two summers ago, apparently.  Oh well.  Nothing new here.

Though it does amuse me how Lien-Da is cut off at the torso.  Her lower body is just gone.

• Thumbs Up 8

She ain't the only one missing her lower half. K'nockoff there is also sporting the floating torso look. Must be real popular among older Echyd'nya. 

But yeah, there is *nothing* new here, at all. These images do not cohese together in an effective or visually appealing way, largely thanks to the fact that you can tell they are all colored in a different style. 

Even more 'impressive' though is the fact that he is using that horrible, made-with-photograph-edits Floating Island that also serves as his logo as an actual, in-universe representation of the Floating Island within the comic. To say nothing of the fact that not only is that 'sky' yet another photograph, but the resolution is just horrendous- you can see the pixellation take hold from him expanding it to serve as a background. It's really rather astonishing, on a number of levels. 

• Thumbs Up 8

The dude on the top in the suit!

What the heck? That whole poster is the stuff of nightmares!!!

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

EDIT: also why are those clouds so pixilated?

I'm gonna say the pixelation is because he probably stole a jpg of a google search for "clouds"

• Thumbs Up 7