Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Um, Remington? I mustache you a question.

In all seriousness, he looks absolutely hideous. Those eyes don't make it any better.

He's also one of the few Echidnyas to be of a different color? ( Sans Lara Su and maybe Spectre), whereas Julie Su suddenly turned red again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, don't mock his sweet 'stache, bro. Clearly, this is just an alternate world where Remington works as a delivery man.

Though he explains why I still didn't get my damn movie in the mail.

In all seriousness, he doesn't even look like the same character.

• Thumbs Up 6

What an incredibly baffling depiction. Is he supposed to be some sort of comedy character or something? Is he like some kind of General who dresses like a Park Ranger and talks to people with a weird daze in his eyes, unable to care about the fact that people might be put off by his presence because he's not wearing any pants?

• Thumbs Up 4

Eugh. The more I look at the shading of this picture, the more his skin looks like it has the same texture as a leathery old man whose spent way too much time in the sun. Combine that with the wispy perv-stache and it's just unappealing all around. 

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_oajxcvaSRB1s3syw5o1_540.jpg

EyUp.

mj.jpg

Uncanny.

Even has the same look in his eyes and fluffy eyebrows.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I look at that image, all I see is a pizza/parcel delivery guy who's waiting for a tip.

• Thumbs Up 9

It looks a lot better, but the proportions and face are still fucking gross

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Stasis said:

When I look at that image, all I see is a pizza/parcel delivery guy who's waiting for a tip.

I was just about to ask if anyone can give him a tip so he'll go away already.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I was just about to ask if anyone can give him a tip so he'll go away already.

Wouldn't work. Trust me on this, Penders does not take advice from others, even good ones. Whether approached with hostility or politeness, he tends to rebuff ANY suggestions about how to improve his work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, horridus said:

Wouldn't work. Trust me on this, Penders does not take advice from others, even good ones. Whether approached with hostility or politeness, he tends to rebuff ANY suggestions about how to improve his work. 

Pretty much the most courteous thing I've seen him say in that regard was him responding to a redraw of Lara-Su or Lien-Da (I forget which) with something along the lines of "That's nice, but it's not what I'd do."  He just doesn't get that even if it's not exactly a style he'd normally use, even trying it out could bring in more fans.

You know, he keeps criticizing Archie and Sega by telling us how he thinks they can broaden their fanbase by expanding Sonic to films, or by using his characters, but at the same time, he doesn't even grasp the most basic facet of broadening a fanbase: Making changes that could make more people want to check out your work.  Instead, he just looks at the people who already like his work, and would like it regardless of whether or not he changed his art style, and decides that means he's doing good already.

Maybe if he just tried to make these changes, and pitched them out to test the waters with people, he'd actually be able to find something that works for as many people as possible.  Sure, maybe he's doing that with this Remington design, and will change it later with all of this criticism, but all evidence to date says that's not going to happen.  But hey, I've been surprised by him before.

• Thumbs Up 2

Holy shit, Penders is the gift that keeps on giving. Shine on, you terrible man, you.

In its own way, it's spectacular. I've never seen art like this. I've seen memes that understand basic artistic composition better than Penders. This is truly special, you could probably classify this as outsider art or vaporwave and write a thesis about it. It's terrible in a classic sense, but fuck the canon, I'm on board with the madness. See y'all in 40 years when Penders is exhibited at the Whitney Biennal. 

• Thumbs Up 2

God. See? This is what happens when you make your character designs so obviously humanoid. The whole thing where the cartoonish animals wearing just a shirt and no pants doesn't work anymore.

Now he just looks like he's letting it all hang out.

Why Why Why
Why must such a precious child suffer
Why you, Remington? Why you?

I mean seriously, Remington actually did have a really appealing design and to see it reduced to this utter garbage is just...UGH. And wow, the coloring. The coloring is BAD. Streaky and shiny and super amateurish in every possible way. I know this is nothing new, but still, it just strikes me again and again because his character designs and coloring skills are so, so, so bad.

• Thumbs Up 8

yknow a thought just occured to me with ken's charecter design. but has that generic furry creature with human anatomy ever made it in mainstream?

6 hours ago, horridus said:

6 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Pretty much the most courteous thing I've seen him say in that regard was him responding to a redraw of Lara-Su or Lien-Da (I forget which) with something along the lines of "That's nice, but it's not what I'd do."  He just doesn't get that even if it's not exactly a style he'd normally use, even trying it out could bring in more fans.

You know, he keeps criticizing Archie and Sega by telling us how he thinks they can broaden their fanbase by expanding Sonic to films, or by using his characters, but at the same time, he doesn't even grasp the most basic facet of broadening a fanbase: Making changes that could make more people want to check out your work.  Instead, he just looks at the people who already like his work, and would like it regardless of whether or not he changed his art style, and decides that means he's doing good already.

Maybe if he just tried to make these changes, and pitched them out to test the waters with people, he'd actually be able to find something that works for as many people as possible.  Sure, maybe he's doing that with this Remington design, and will change it later with all of this criticism, but all evidence to date says that's not going to happen.  But hey, I've been surprised by him before.

Not Penders, the delivery guy with his hand out that Penders drew.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Oh. WHELP. Imma idiot. 

My point remains valid, but yeah, my bad there ID; 

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Oh, ha.  I just kind of skimmed over the posts and only saw Horridus quote you without seeing what you responded to, so I figured you were talking about art tips.  Whoops.

Though what I said about Ken never taking any art tips still stands.  It's really frustrating to see.

16 hours ago, Person said:

wElCYOt.jpg

"Your change, sir."

No really though, I haven't truly been following this whole ordeal, but I'm shocked and surprised that it's still going on. It's not even like the worst art ever, it's just that the character designs and coloring style are so mind-blowingly atrocious that it really appears that way.

Oh, God the fact you have his pants dropped just makes this post.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just when you think you've run out of anything to say about this thing, Penders delivers another questionable looking cherry for his unappetising cake.  Everything, from the design, the colouring and the clothing, hell even the moustache reeks of uncomfortable.  And you know what's even crazier?  I don't think we've seen even half the character being forced into this project.

Guys and Gals...there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this horrible modern character design:

SEE?!  Totally makes sense!  So adult and relatable to modern times. It blows the minds of all who now understand this incredibly creative explanation. </sarcasm>

Also when did Penders copyright "Mobian"? (Serious question)

• Thumbs Up 2