Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Work on the App is made, as I'm currently translating the menus (but I haven't seen the app, don't ask ^^)

After that, a new data-file ^^

• Thumbs Up 8

Looks like Translations for the Lara-Su Chronicles app is near completion and we'll hear more info soon. Hopefully, a release date is revealed m.

IMG_5813.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aaand in very minor news, Penders evidently is still on about this.

Sooo yeah, apparrently he's still under the impression that he can be allowed to do this, and once more I'm trying to understand how the hell he could be under this impression given that he very explicitly doesn't own Sonic or Knuckles or has that legal right.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, horridus said:

...I'm trying to understand how the hell he could be under this impression given that he very explicitly doesn't own Sonic or Knuckles or has that legal right.

Well, basically, since he presumably has copyright to the M25YL stories after the settlement, he probably does legitimately believe that means having Sonic and co. in them wouldn't be an issue as long as he makes it free.  Except, well, copyright law doesn't instantly trump trademark law.  Ken simply doesn't appear to be taking that into account.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Well, basically, since he presumably has copyright to the M25YL stories after the settlement, he probably does legitimately believe that means having Sonic and co. in them wouldn't be an issue as long as he makes it free.  Except, well, copyright law doesn't instantly trump trademark law.  Ken simply doesn't appear to be taking that into account.

And that's assuming he intends to do it for free, and I really, really doubt that. His obsession with turning a profit from his Sonic work and the implied belief that LSC would have acted as a gateway to the Knuckles books and, thus, more profit for him when they would 'inevitably' purchase the archived issues in order to get on track with everything, leaves me highly skeptical about him publishing *anything* for free. 

From any angle, the whole thing is still... incredibly bizarre. 

Remember, copyright law only applies when it works for Penders. Honest mistake to make.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, horridus said:

And that's assuming he intends to do it for free, and I really, really doubt that. His obsession with turning a profit from his Sonic work and the implied belief that LSC would have acted as a gateway to the Knuckles books and, thus, more profit for him when they would 'inevitably' purchase the archived issues in order to get on track with everything. 

The last time he brought it up, he said he planned on putting them in the free TLSC app, so it sounded like he plans to use them to draw in readers by using the free material to promote the series, and get more sales of TLSC that way.  And that right there is exactly where this would violate trademark law; He'd be using trademarked characters to promote his work, creating brand confusion by fooling customers into thinking it's an official Sega product.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

The last time he brought it up, he said he planned on putting them in the free TLSC app, so it sounded like he plans to use them to draw in readers by using the free material to promote the series, and get more sales of TLSC that way.  And that right there is exactly where this would violate trademark law; He'd be using trademarked characters to promote his work, creating brand confusion by fooling customers into thinking it's an official Sega product.

Ah, good point. Either way though, his reasoning about this just seems... incredibly dubious. Which is hardly a first, but still. 

Though given how long it's taking him to actually make LSC proper, I'm not entirely certain we're ever actually going to see him follow through with this within the next decade or so. 

• Thumbs Up 5

If Penders actually reprints materials clearly featuring Sega characters, I feel like that might be enough of an impetus for Sega to actually bother stepping in.

Can't help but find it kind of funny that he seems miffed about Archie discontinuing the reprints when his own actions led to that discontinuation, even though his desires for receiving compensation from them were legitimate.

• Thumbs Up 6

And a bit more from Penders regarding his precise... vision.

Guess that kinda puts a dent in the 'doing it for free' theory, if he's thinking of making them into hardcover releases... given his whole 'print is dead' spiel that makes him insist upon the digital relase format of LSC, I would wonder why he would even bother with any kind of physical release, but then knowing him it probably just tickles his fancy to have something as 'posh' as a hardcover book. Frankly though, I wonder what his exact success rate would be at getting permission of everyone involved or how successful he thinks to be that he could adequately compensate ALL of them for using their work. 

I do take note that he doesn't exactly elaborate upon why he doesn't 'forsee a problem'. The last time the copyright issue was brought up, he didn't offer anything in the way of a concerete explanation for how and why such a thing would work out in his favor. I would speculate about whether or not he is letting that rather all-encompassing and deeply misplaced sense of optimism fuel how he see's things, but such things are both redundant and old hat by this point. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Okay, I was wrong; He really does plan on selling them.  ...Does he seriously not see the problem here?

EDIT: Yeah, okay forum, don't tell me that Horridus replied with this about 20 minutes ago already.  Well, adding to this since my post is now redundant: If Ken thinks Sega just would be too afraid or something to not step in, he forgets that trademark holders generally have to actively try and protect the trademark.  Otherwise, it outright risks hurting the trademark.  Sega wouldn't just sit around here while someone's creating brand confusion.  He may own the stories, but he doesn't own the characters, so unless he replaces them with stand-ins for every panel, he's going to have a problem.

• Thumbs Up 8

46 minutes ago, Tylinos said:
  He may own the stories, but he doesn't own the characters, so unless he replaces them with stand-ins for every panel, he's going to have a problem.

Huh. No idea wny it formatted it like that... 

But, anyway, I myself have wondered if that's what he intends to do. Common sense would dictate that no, that would not be the case given that it would add a lot to his workload and take away what little effort he spends on LSC already. Course, given his unique take on differentiating characters from their source, he might just be content to scribble sleeveless tunics on all the pertinent characters and hastily editing out names and then calling it a day... 

• Thumbs Up 3

Why does Penders even cling to those old Knuckles comics and his Mobius 25-years Later stories? The Knuckles comics I can assume because they were good at the time, but nobody liked the future Mobius soap-opera even when it came out. They're both hideously out-dated both in writing and nonsensical sci-fi elements, and releasing them today would be like selling old dinosaur dung to the general public. XP

2 hours ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

Why does Penders even cling to those old Knuckles comics and his Mobius 25-years Later stories? The Knuckles comics I can assume because they were good at the time, but nobody liked the future Mobius soap-opera even when it came out. They're both hideously out-dated both in writing and nonsensical sci-fi elements, and releasing them today would be like selling old dinosaur dung to the general public. XP

Because he's so deluded that he thinks the people just adore his stories and the people who hate his stuff is a vocal minority. He's somehow convinced himself that it is popular, and always will be popular. The same way he's now deluded himself into thinking he will "totes for realises" get away with breaking SEGA's trademark and copyright on all Sonic characters including SatAM characters and reprinting stories that's already currently on sale digitially for profit. Add his overinflated ego and you don't get a good combo. 

• Thumbs Up 7

6 hours ago, Tylinos said:

He may own the stories, but he doesn't own the characters, so unless he replaces them with stand-ins for every panel, he's going to have a problem.

That's a frightening sight to imagine, considering how Penders' hideous coloring style would clash horribly with the work of Jason Jensen or whoever else did the colors on the original comics. Even if he just added small details to make them "different", his additions would likely stick out like sore thumbs.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The sad thing is I'd actually buy it.

...secondhand.

I'm looking forward to digital distibution. Means it'll show up on SCANF or Frostwire sooner. huehuehuehuehue

I really do question why he feels the need to bring these subjects up, then, if he cannot really talk about it properly. 

And in the category of yet more vagueness.

Yes, I'm sure the longterm fans who already knew the backstory you shared will be utterly thrilled to know it means nothing any longer. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Doesn't help that we've heard this song and dance before with nothing to come from it, and I'm not even just talking about LSC and things connected to it. The fruitless quest for a Sonic movie that never materialized, his insistence about The Lost Ones being a hit and him being 'in discussions' for it to become a film release, everything to do with The Republic... he's been down this road before, with precious little to show for it. Not entirely certain how this will be any different. 

• Thumbs Up 7

What worries me is that I don't think Penders is worried about SEGA because SEGA won't do anything-- they'll probably have Archie handle it again, and if so... well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping that SEGA won't go down that road for the simple reason that they must be aware of how badly it went last time.  SEGA seems so much more in-touch with, or at least interested in, what's happening on the western side right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

One would hope so. But Penders seems to have an uncanny ability to induce *baffling* stupidity in people, given the incomprehensible incompetence displayed by Archie during the lawsuit. 

• Thumbs Up 4