Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

9 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Hey now, I didn't say Volume 2 will be out in 2021.  I said he should at least be working on it by 2021.  ...Seriously, if he's not finished Volume 1 by then, I'm going to honestly start thinking this is all one elaborate, decade-long prank.

Ah, terribly sorry, misread that. But either way... 

6 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Enchilada, enchorito, whatever. It's his fault for choosing such a ridiculously convoluted name.

But thank you for being able to remember that.

EDIT: I also just realized that if you pronounce it, it technically says Echid NYA. Ken turned his echidna aliens into pseudo cat aliens apparently.

Don't be absurd. Pseudo Cat Aliens would be halfway original compared to him taking SEGA Echidna, squeezing them into a human shaped mold and them labeling them 'Echyd'nya'. At least the PseudoCats would be truly his own. 

Fun fact about that name though- he claims he changed it because people have problems pronouncing 'Echidna' properly. So of course his solution was to re-spell it with an apostrophe and a few added 'y's, thus making it even more elaborate and difficult to pronounce. Such stellar logic, no?

• Thumbs Up 6

Can I just start billing him for my desks after he makes me hit my head on them?

Also, he never said that the book would end in 2016. What? There are tweets? Tweets are inadmissible, as they don't count as true statements. And even if they did, you probably just misinterpreted the true meaning of what he was saying.

...what, you expect an explanation of what he was saying? Don't be silly, he doesn't have time for that; he's got books to write, you know. Very busy with all of that book-writing for books that aren't actually books. He's a seasoned professional industry veteran with very big ties to the mainstream, you know.

• Thumbs Up 7

And we've finally gotten a Trump comparison in the mix, how classy. Yeah, this guy really did just choose to interpret basic, obligated politeness as something it wasn't and then proceeded to blow it out of proportion from there. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh his tell-all 'book' needs to happen; it would be engrossing - i very much doubt 95% of it would be accurate or factual but I wouldn't be able to put it down. Ken, mate, if you're reading this - and there's a good chance as I bet you regularly Google your own name (who doesn't?) - sit down and just write. Tell us everything that happened as you see it. There is no downside to him doing this; hopefully it'll get a lot of it out of his system, it will entertain the Sonic fanbase no end, he'll be able to make some comic con appearances off the back of it (with camera), be able to say 'look I did produce something, I can finish a project' and the ensuing lawsuit for publicly breaking a Non Disclosure Agreement (and possibly profiting off of it) that if karma exists he will loose, might humble him or at the very least take away his 'I am always right because I won a lawsuit', maybe not though.

Personally I can't imagine what Archie could have done - other than say they didn't want to work with him on issue 300 which of course does not break any part of their settlement that we know of but rather just annoys Mr Penders by making him momentarily face up the realisation that he's not as important to them or their comic as he's made himself out to be - oh hold on, maybe by not reprinting the old stuff they're breaking it somehow? Like they had to pay him so much per year in reprint royalties or something like that. I could see that really pissing him off because he has to get money to live on somewhere while he's not publishing The Lara-Su Chronicles.   

• Thumbs Up 4

And my birthday is just full of these fun KP tweets. I think he believes if he @'s them enough they will respond though I feel they already have him on mute. 

Also as much as I hate it, I had to check the responses to Ken's tweets (I wouldn't recommend it because you could go brain dead). However, some supporters feel he lead them on with the whole #300 BS so some people aren't too far gone...

• Thumbs Up 7

40 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

And my birthday is just full of these fun KP tweets. I think he believes if he @'s them enough they will respond though I feel they already have him on mute. 

Or they just flat out don't see it, because he can't even get their Twitter address right.

• Thumbs Up 6

I can't tell if he legitimately doesn't realize that that tag doesn't go to Archie Comics, or if he's just doing it to look like he's calling them out while not actually doing anything to draw their attention so he can appear more daring than he is. Either way, I feel sorry for whoever's on the other end of that link- they must be so confused about who this guy is and why he's so hostile towards them. 

Really, I just love how he neglects to mention the major component that led to the lawsuit- namely his desire to retain copyright over his characters, despite knowing it could result in Archie losing it's license to print Sonic comics. Funny how that part never seems to come up. Terribly ironic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I wouldn't worry, it's somebody with an egg avatar, no tweets, and doesn't seem to be following anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

....and now I'm left to wonder if Penders created that account JUST for the purposes of using it to look like he's calling out Archie Comics when he isn't. 

• Thumbs Up 7

It's probably worth mentioning this is the first time he's used that address. All other instances before then were correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It's probably worth mentioning this is the first time he's used that address. All other instances before then were correct.

ACtually... it isn't. I just used the Advanced Search on Twitter to look around, and that same address pops up several times over in the past, all leading to the same account.

That having been said, my findings would actually seem to indicate he legitimately doesn't realize that that tag isn't the Archie Comics tag- none of the tweets using the tag go beyond 2015. That account started up in 2010- so he really HAS been using the wrong address repeatedly, without ever realizing it. 

Whelp. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I hope that someday, someone gets their hands on a copy of this and brings it into his presence. I want to know if his flesh begins to burn and smoke, or if he just shields himself with something while hissing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but that thing also has a lot of dumb and wrong information nobody will take into account, even on the game developer's parts.

• Thumbs Up 1

A bit of comedy and a slight bit of legt LSC news- Penders evidently got into yet another row earlier when confronted over his neglecting to mention the problems his desire to retain copyright would cause in negotiations and responding with his usual maturity and openness... which is to say, none of either. THe usual back and forth we've witnessed and discussed a million times, though he DID let slip this amusing little tidbit.

For context, this fellow pointed out that relying on Sonic's popularity to factor int LSC's success is perhaps a tad foolish given that Sonic isn't exactly a huge seller, and Penders retorted with this. Now see, Penders IS quite correct... but in the past he's used those same sales statistics to rather loudly proclaim that the comics were in trouble or in danger of dying, and tends to ignore it when OTHER people point this out to him whenever he starts to harp on the current state of sales in the comic. A tad ironic, no?

But then we actually have a far rarer beast- an update regarding LSC proper. 

So, evidently they're making progress with the formatting. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Yeah but that thing also has a lot of dumb and wrong information nobody will take into account, even on the game developer's parts.

For what it's worth, I was just playing off of it being called a bible, as well as Penders' aversion to regarding anything official in his work on a licensed comic.

It really does seem kind of pointless to be working on those mobile apps when the comic is nowhere to be seen. Moreover, the feedback to the few preview images has been extremely negative, to which Pender's has shown no sign of adjusting the art style in response to fan feedback. As it stands the whole Lara-Su Chronicles is destined to failure, any sane man would see that already, yet here we are five years later and Penders is still talking about the comic like it's the next big thing for the industry.

I mean, what does Penders do for money? How has he been able to sustain himself since leaving Archie? As near as I can tell Pender's hasn't published any new material in over a decade now. Is he secretly writing for other comic publishers under an assumed name? Is he living off an inheritance or investments? Is an eccentric millionaire funding his legal campaigns out of sheer amusement!? It's a mystery to me how Penders survives and continues to cause so much turmoil.

All those years Penders spent trying to both rip-off and sue Archie could have been used doing something more productive. The Indy comic has gotten a lot bigger in recent years, especially as many Indy publishers have been far quicker to embrace digital comics then DC and Marvel. I'm sure that if Penders had an original idea for a comic series (not a rehash of Knuckles the Echidna and M:25YL) he would have easily been able to find an Indy publisher willing to take a chance on his work, even if only initially as a mini-series to gauge an audience for the comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Kintor said:

I mean, what does Penders do for money? How has he been able to sustain himself since leaving Archie? As near as I can tell Pender's hasn't published any new material in over a decade now. Is he secretly writing for other comic publishers under an assumed name? Is he living off an inheritance or investments? Is an eccentric millionaire funding his legal campaigns out of sheer amusement!? It's a mystery to me how Penders survives and continues to cause so much turmoil.

Evidently Penders is a 'Freelance Graphic Designer'- he's mentioned doing things like tutorial videos for businesses and stuff like that. There is a persistent rumor though that his common-law wife (which is what served as the basis for Julie-Su and Knuckles 'non-tradtional' marriage...) has a very high paying job, and there IS a bit of credibility to it given that he was able to afford his lawyers' fees despite complaining about not having a lot of money to his name- technically speaking, Penders himself doesn't have money, but his wife does. If Penders was deliberately lying about *his* financial situation, rather than simply twisting things around via a loophole, he'd have been in a very big amount of trouble during the trial. 

As to why Penders hasn't looked to the indy scene, the simple fact is that despite how much he likes to tout himself as a guy 'in the know' when it comes to comics, Penders knowledge is very outdated, and he himself isn't very willing to learn the more intricate parts of how things can be done this day. He goes Digital because it's the 'modern' way to go, but he doesn't actually want to bother to learn the more in-depth parts. That, and after his failure with the Lost Ones, I don't think he really has the confidence to try and do anything else- he knows that Sonic is the only thing he ever really had going for him, and is unwilling to really try anything else. 

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, horridus said:

Evidently Penders is a 'Freelance Graphic Designer'- he's mentioned doing things like tutorial videos for businesses and stuff like that. There is a persistent rumor though that his common-law wife (which is what served as the basis for Julie-Su and Knuckles 'non-tradtional' marriage...) has a very high paying job, and there IS a bit of credibility to it given that he was able to afford his lawyers' fees despite complaining about not having a lot of money to his name- technically speaking, Penders himself doesn't have money, but his wife does. If Penders was deliberately lying about *his* financial situation, rather than simply twisting things around via a loophole, he'd have been in a very big amount of trouble during the trial. 

As to why Penders hasn't looked to the indy scene, the simple fact is that despite how much he likes to tout himself as a guy 'in the know' when it comes to comics, Penders knowledge is very outdated, and he himself isn't very willing to learn the more intricate parts of how things can be done this day. He goes Digital because it's the 'modern' way to go, but he doesn't actually want to bother to learn the more in-depth parts. That, and after his failure with the Lost Ones, I don't think he really has the confidence to try and do anything else- he knows that Sonic is the only thing he ever really had going for him, and is unwilling to really try anything else. 

Oh, so Penders is moonlighting as a graphic designer? I guess that makes sense. I tend to think of Penders as mostly a writer but overlook that fact that he can apparently draw as well. Although, given his atrocious output with the Lara-su Chronicles, it's hard to believe that anyone would seriously hire Penders as a graphic designer. Still, I suppose so long as he doesn’t have to draw anything with human proportions he should be fine...

As for the legal situation, his wife (de facto or common-law) being a lawyer would go a long way towards explaining Penders' surprise victories against Archie. However, since we don't have a name it's difficult to verify this speculation as anything more than a rumour. Perhaps it's for the best this way, prying further into the matter borders on tabloid gossip and if actually true could prove detrimental to the Sonic fanbase, seeing as how lawyers tend to guard their privacy rather viciously.

Also, I agree completely about Penders failing to adapt the new digital Indy scene. Launching a new series would require Penders to learn the intricacies of digital comics, even reaching out to a few digital publishers to see if they're looking for writers would be a good place to start. Of course, the only technical expertise that Penders has displayed as of late is the capacity to troll Sonic fans on Twitter. Never mind that Penders is alienating the only audience that has ever shown any interest in this work.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Kintor said:

As for the legal situation, his wife (de facto or common-law) being a lawyer would go a long way towards explaining Penders' surprise victories against Archie. However, since we don't have a name it's difficult to verify this speculation as anything more than a rumour. Perhaps it's for the best this way, prying further into the matter borders on tabloid gossip and if actually true could prove detrimental to the Sonic fanbase, seeing as how lawyers tend to guard their privacy rather viciously.

I don't know if she's a lawer, but her name is publically known as Bernadette Shahin- Penders has even admitted that he named Sonic's mother Bernie after her, and her name appears on his Ebay and as the executive producer of The Republic (another go-nowhere project). Though that's as far as I'm going since it DOES border on starting gossip, and it strays away from the core of the discussion. I just felt like verifying a few things is all. 

He also named Snively's father, Colin Kintobor, after his stepson. Hershey the Cat is also named for his pet cat (at the time). Just a bit of trivia there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, horridus said:

He also named Snively's father, Colin Kintobor, after his stepson. Hershey the Cat is also named for his pet cat (at the time). Just a bit of trivia there. 

Makes you wonder if he named Sonic's comic self after his great ancestor. "Oglivie Maurice Penders VIII"

But on the real, why is he still messing around with this app? It's just a time waster if he's not actually making process on the book.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Afro Thunder said:

Makes you wonder if he named Sonic's comic self after his great ancestor. "Oglivie Maurice Penders VIII"

But on the real, why is he still messing around with this app? It's just a time waster if he's not actually making process on the book.

Penders has always demonstrated an incredibly skewed set of priorities when it comes to working on this. He's made tie-in products and talked about tie-in comics for this upcoming book despite having no book to tie-in to to begin with. At some level I wonder if it's procrastination at work. 

• Thumbs Up 6

32 minutes ago, horridus said:

Penders has always demonstrated an incredibly skewed set of priorities when it comes to working on this. He's made tie-in products and talked about tie-in comics for this upcoming book despite having no book to tie-in to to begin with. At some level I wonder if it's procrastination at work. 

Speaking of which, has he sold those iPhone cases yet?

...How long have those iPhone cases been on sale for now?  The earliest reference I can find through searching is nearly two years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1