Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Nah, I wanted it to be that way, subtle is the keyword in these circles. :D Though I should consider different machines and different fonts and all that jazz... <_<

Maybe I should start saying stuff "like this", though... B)

Nääh, doesn't seem right. Maybe I should just keep straight face when it comes to these things... sorry, I'm not intending to insult, just pondering how to make myself clear without being too aggressive... :blushing:

So, question...

I have paid ZERO attention to any of this stuff.

Is his Laura-Su series basically something like Star Trek only with Echidna's instead?

That's what I get from the initial artwork.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

So, question...

I have paid ZERO attention to any of this stuff.

Is his Laura-Su series basically something like Star Trek only with Echidna's instead?

That's what I get from the initial artwork.

Pretty much, along with every other science fiction, superhero comic and movie franchise that catches his fancy- his 'creative process' largely consists of substituting ideas from other, better known franchises into his work. On the first page alone he has mention of an evil AI called 'Skyweb' and a 'planet of apes'... I... I really wish I was kidding...

Oh, and they're no longer Echidnas. They're aliens called 'Echyd'nya' now, who just so happen to look like SEGA Echidna that have been squeezed into a more human shaped mold. Because you know, that's not derivative or infringing upon intellectual property or anything like that, no siree Bob. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, horridus said:

Pretty much, along with every other science fiction, superhero comic and movie franchise that catches his fancy- his 'creative process' largely consists of substituting ideas from other, better known franchises into his work. On the first page alone he has mention of an evil AI called 'Skyweb' and a 'planet of apes'... I... I really wish I was kidding...

Oh, and they're no longer Echidnas. They're aliens called 'Echyd'nya' now, who just so happen to look like SEGA Echidna that have been squeezed into a more human shaped mold. Because you know, that's not derivative or infringing upon intellectual property or anything like that, no siree Bob. 

So...

He's wanting to drag people into court for using his ideas/properties...

While he's doing the exact same thing, if not to a much more powerful/blatant degree?

I mean, sure, Chronicles took INSPIRATION from some of his work perhaps, but at least they weren't as obvious/smug over it...

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

So...

While he's doing the exact same thing, if not to a much more powerful/blatant degree?

I mean, sure, Chronicles took INSPIRATION from some of his work perhaps, but at least they weren't as obvious/smug over it...

Let alone he did that "Millenium Falcon" reference in StH himself many years before this incident... -_-

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

So...

Yep, pretty much. I mean that's not even the half of it- his bio for Geoffrey St. John references a 'Warlord Kintobor', a 'Princess of Acorn', and most gallingly, a 'Blue Spined Erinacidae', all the while continuing to crib the use of 'Planet Mobius' for his work. You really cannot make this guy up. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Is it Erinacidae or Erinaceidae by the way?

Since hedgehog is the latter one, it seems... :blink:

It's "Erinaceinae."

On 02/03/2016 at 1:07 AM, Tylinos said:

Holy crap.  Geoffrey has almost Mary Sue levels of special skills.

Also, his description of Sonic: "...the blue-spined Erinaceinae..."

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

Let alone he did that "Millenium Falcon" reference in StH himself many years before this incident... -_-

Although Ken wrote that story, it was drawn by Steven Butler, not Ken himself.  So unless the script outright said "the ship should look like the Millennium Falcon", this one's not on Ken.

That said, the very next Knuckles story after that was the infamous photo backgrounds story, and that one was Ken's doing, so he still isn't free of blame for artistic corner-cutting from around that time.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Although Ken wrote that story, it was drawn by Steven Butler, not Ken himself.  So unless the script outright said "the ship should look like the Millennium Falcon", this one's not on Ken.

That said, the very next Knuckles story after that was the infamous photo backgrounds story, and that one was Ken's doing, so he still isn't free of blame for artistic corner-cutting from around that time.

Plus the time he pretty much cribbed several Star Trek ships to create the Dark Legion's battle cruiser. 

latest?cb=20090518053537

Totally Original Content! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Fair enough, my bad for Penders.

Though if my memory serves me right, Nic referenced something when they talked about "her ship", I just am not too certain of it...

3 hours ago, Tylinos said:

I'd have to reread that (and I don' wanna), but I thought the dialogue itself implied it was "that ship."

Edit: Whoops, too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

Usually I would find it rather cute that a fellow Star Trek fan makes some references to Trek in a Sonic comic, but with Penders "I'll sue everybody who dares to reference my work! Only I'm allowed to do something like that!" attitude, it's just beyond hypocritical... 

• Thumbs Up 7

17 minutes ago, Tenko said:

He doesn't believe that they have any copies left, of any documents he signed transferring rights. He doesn't believe they have them still. The wording he uses implies that not only did they exist, he he knows he signed them.

Well, yes, he did sign them, considering he admitted as much a few weeks ago, insisting that what he signed promised him royalties.

Also, on the subject of the Star Trek reprints, I did notice something the other day when he was talking about them, namely that he kept going on about IDW's involvement in the Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection that appears to be reprinting his stuff.

Now, it's one thing for him to protest Eaglemoss or Paramount reprinting his work in the collection, assuming he's correct about them not having the rights to do so.  That'd be fine.  But this IDW fixation is just baffling, considering that, as far as I can tell, they aren't actually involved in publishing the collection.  Their only link is that they contributed some of the material being reprinted, and that they made a press release being all "hey you should check out this thing from Eaglemoss that uses some of our stuff".  That's it.

If he wants to get upset about Eaglemoss doing this, or upset about IDW actually reprinting something he's done, he's welcome to do so if they really don't have the rights.  But blaming IDW for something they don't even appear to be publishing in the first place is pretty uncalled for.  Did he even pay attention to the press release, or did he skim it, see IDW's name mentioned, and assume that meant they're making it just because they have the license for printing the modern line of Star Trek comics?  I don't understand.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

Well, yes, he did sign them, considering he admitted as much a few weeks ago, insisting that what he signed promised him royalties.

Nope, just like with Archie when his old interview was brought up, that one where he admitted knowing he was working with licenced material and had no ownership of it etc. He didnt sign any papers with IDW or Paramount now, he just remembered he didn't sign anything. Isn't that convenient.

So he didn't sign any paper work on ONE particular project, but beyond that neither he nor anyone else signed ANY documents. Geez which one is it?

Still with the taking advantage that they would have to prove they had said paperwork etc tho. As long as he pretends he never signed them, even when his wording makes it sound like he knows he did, and they can't supply the originals like Archie failed to, then he could force yet another project into a bad place if he decides to start threatening lawsuits.

• Thumbs Up 9

On 10.8.2017 at 10:56 AM, Tenko said:

His rants about IDW and the Star Trek rights etc are growing by the day. What I found interesting was this one.. 

He doesn't believe that they have any copies left, of any documents he signed transferring rights. He doesn't believe they have them still. The wording he uses implies that not only did they exist, he he knows he signed them.

This is interesting in respect to Sonic as it opens again the possibility that he did sign paper work for Archie, and knew he had, but again as in this case, is using the loopholes in the law to his advantage. That if they can't produce the documents they can't legally reproduce the material without royalties etc.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but to me it's basically admitting he's taking advantage and demanding money for past works that were done "for hire" and under transference contract due to these big companies losing a lot of their paperwork over the years. Deceitful.

I wonder how long it takes until some folks over at the Trek BBS  forums are starting to notice Penders...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, Nestor said:

I do also rather wonder if his sudden increased antipathy towards them has anything to do with IDW saying how they would be contacting people's favourite creators, old and new, about the new comic.... and didn't contact him.

I'm willing to bet Sega probably had something in IDW's contract prohibiting them from even contacting him, considering he's been something of a pest to them for at least the last five years. Not to mention most of his past conduct also painted him as someone who refuses to acknowledge anyone else's work on the comic but his own, freely takes other ideas from both other people and even other media without crediting them but freaks out when someone else uses his stuff, and, quite frankly, really isn't that good.

4 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I wonder how long it takes until some folks over at the Trek BBS  forums are starting to notice Penders...

That actually has me thinking: does he really want to make Paramount/CBS an enemy over this? I don't see them being putting up with his nonsense as Sega did.

I'll admit, I don't know that much about this angle, but I always suspected IDW was just republishing much older Star Trek comics done by other companies as well as their own. I would also throw something in there something about Axanor but I fear most of what I'd say is conjecture.

Oh, yeah, long time lurker, mostly this topic from the dramady, though "farce" is a better word.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hey everyone, I've been gone for two months, anything happen with Penders while I was awa-

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, chaosjam said:

I don't want to be on this planet anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, captobvious42 said:

I'm willing to bet Sega probably had something in IDW's contract prohibiting them from even contacting him, considering he's been something of a pest to them for at least the last five years. Not to mention most of his past conduct also painted him as someone who refuses to acknowledge anyone else's work on the comic but his own, freely takes other ideas from both other people and even other media without crediting them but freaks out when someone else uses his stuff, and, quite frankly, really isn't that good.

That actually has me thinking: does he really want to make Paramount/CBS an enemy over this? I don't see them being putting up with his nonsense as Sega did.

I'll admit, I don't know that much about this angle, but I always suspected IDW was just republishing much older Star Trek comics done by other companies as well as their own. I would also throw something in there something about Axanor but I fear most of what I'd say is conjecture.

Oh, yeah, long time lurker, mostly this topic from the dramady, though "farce" is a better word.

When you put it like that, it seems like Ken Penders has a very warped impression of how much of a defense he has against copyright/legal issues much like how he has a warped understanding of how the comics industry works. Funnily enough both scenarios involve Archie's incompetence enabling him to do things he normally wouldn't have been even able to consider under the stricter more professional environments of other places.

To elaborate, Archie editor Gabrie basically did jackshit and let Ken run rampant, then he finds out later on that he's not that great once a real editor comes along and tells him to buck up or buck off. Then later on he goes lawsuit on Archie and their incompetence again allows for him to run rampant and do things he normally wouldn't have gotten away with. Now all we need is for IDW/Paramount/CBS to show him the error of his ways to complete the cycle :D!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 1