Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

41 minutes ago, horridus said:

Oh boy, it's just the opposite actually- working for Archie actively damaged his work ethic and abilities as a writer. He's admitted several times that Archie would publish stuff on time regardless of how complete it was, and for a long stretch of his career he could pretty much do whatever, and no matter how bad his work got it always sold thanks to the Sonic connection. He was in a very unusual situation that allowed him to flourish, and since that time he's pretty much demonstrated that the only thing that gave him a career was Archie's lack of oversight and real standards. Heck, he LEFT the job because he had to deal with an editor who expected better from him and told him to make more of an effort when it came to incorporating game stuff. 

And if anyone needs more proof of that, just look at his recent tweets about the Zelda comic, where he actively complained about having to do the truly unreasonable task of submitting better work to keep up with quality standards, because the editor actually gave a shit.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, DoubleXXCross said:

I decided to ask him.

59c6d1e228d54_ScreenShot2017-09-23at22_27_12.thumb.png.3f48707a7142cf01c57a3e3032a81f51.png

A very ironically Trumpian answer

Are you F@(k!ng serious?! I've been passively waiting on this thing all this time and it might not even be line art yet!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

The really hilarious thing about Archie's lax standards is a talented creative team could exploit that kind of freedom to make something truly amazing with little worry over what might get shot down. Sure, that kind of environment where quality control isn't really an issue also fosters laziness, but ultimately Penders is the one who decided he didn't want to give a fuck.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, horridus said:

...wait, what? Whaaaat? You mean... he really HAS been focusing more of his time and energy on the friggin prelude and the app than he has on the book itself? And that he will start ACTUALLY focusing his attention on the actual *product* once the other stuff is completed?

You know, I kinda suspected, but seeing it confirmed like this is still kind of shocking. I mean holy God. Plan the release first, work on the book later. It's... incredible. Jaw dropping, even. 

It's like what real companies do.

Like the garbage guzzlers at Warner Brothers, who were too busy spending all their time working on DLC instead of fixing the broken Arkham Origins.

He's already got plans for mugs. I can see the next step over the horizon. How about "Ugly String Bikini Lien-Da" bedsheets for the kiddies?

• Nice Smile 2

Wait.  Hold on.  This story was supposed to be released years ago...and you're only just now designing some of the characters?  Characters whom, from how you've mentioned that Taelor's going to be around at the start of the story, should be appearing really early on?

I know writing takes a while, but this is a part of the process which should have been done long ago, Ken, especially for a visual medium.

• Thumbs Up 5

Boy, this is giving me flashbacks to that time he tweeted how he had recently figured out who Rutan's father could be. 

It was a few years ago mind you, but still years after he had started this project, and roughly a *decade* after M25YL was first made, and in all that time, he had evidently never thought about the subject despite the fact that Lien-Da having a kid alone raises a truly enormous number of questions. 

Like... that is some truly stellar lack of planning right there. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

30 minutes ago, horridus said:

Boy, this is giving me flashbacks to that time he tweeted how he had recently figured out who Rutan's father could be. 

It was a few years ago mind you, but still years after he had started this project, and roughly a *decade* after M25YL was first made, and in all that time, he had evidently never thought about the subject despite the fact that Lien-Da having a kid alone raises a truly enormous number of questions. 

I mean

This is the man that threw Tails and Mina together because Mina's speed reminded Tails of Sonic.

I barely expect much thought for his own characters.

Also we've had this topic for three years. He's made so many con appearances since then. Why is he constantly still in a phase of laying groundwork? As a fan of the comic, I actually find this kind of infuriating he threw this fit for something he doesn't even know what to do with.

I don't think he's saying he just designed the crew. I think it's more he's playing for random relevancy points. Alternatively to explain why every single piece of art of Taelor is drawn as / traced from a different person.

3 hours ago, horridus said:

I think every time he comes up with a new thought like that, he trashes everything and starts all over again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Geez, I have to wonder how many people who would've bought this thing back when it was announced are still intending to at this point.

5 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Wait.  Hold on.  This story was supposed to be released years ago...and you're only just now designing some of the characters?  Characters whom, from how you've mentioned that Taelor's going to be around at the start of the story, should be appearing really early on?

I know writing takes a while, but this is a part of the process which should have been done long ago, Ken, especially for a visual medium.

To be fair, the crewmates he mentions there might've just been intended to be red shirts at first. What was the actual context of that post?

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I mean

This is the man that threw Tails and Mina together because Mina's speed reminded Tails of Sonic.

I barely expect much thought for his own characters.

...Really?

2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I think every time he comes up with a new thought like that, he trashes everything and starts all over again.

I can see why you'd think that. I recall that he posted a promo design for Dimitri and maybe Spectre at one point and as far as I know, we have yet to see or hear from either one of them.

Its funny because I think he actually had a brief excerpt from the story online involving implications of the Brotherhood considering killing Rutan or something that could be misconstrued as that over a race between him and Lara-Su.  So one would assume he's fairly through much of the story at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I don't want to seem completely bitter or amused at Pender's expense so I'll say this, if it weren't for that dude's work on Sonic I probably wouldn't have gotten into wanting to make comics myself. In the long run, there's a myriad of other works that have been far more influential to me, but Sonic was the first, it was my gateway into that art form and that's pretty damn important to me.

So even if I may think the quality of it stinks now that I'm able to approach it with an adult mind, I still appreciate what Pender's work did for me as a child. I think that's also why I'm so invested in the strange goings on of Pender's life now. That curtain into the world of someone who made an impact on me has been pulled back to reveal all sorts of insanity and it's just so hard to look away. Strangely enough, the thing that would be best for everyone involved, including Penders himself, would be to quit giving him attention, but whatever I'm part of the problem. Now dump some more of these monsters on me, lets go pull the fucking trigger

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

So Ken, continuing on from his tweet about designing Taelor's crewmates, pointed this out.

So he is making the crew all black because he claims no one else has. Is this true?

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So he's one of those people who boasts about being political correct.

He's demonstrating performative egalitarianism to cover conscious biases as an appeal to the judgement of better people in exchange for potential personal gain, yes.

S'advertising.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Just now, DoubleXXCross said:

He's demonstrating performative egalitarianism to cover conscious biases as an appeal to the judgement of better people in exchange for potential personal gain, yes.

S'advertising.

Wow, that guy seems like a bad role model.

11 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

So Ken, continuing on from his tweet about designing Taelor's crewmates, pointed this out.

So he is making the crew all black because he claims no one else has. Is this true?

To be fair, I seems like he technically said he doesn't recall ever seeing that and likely decided to do it because he simply thought it'd be interesting.

With that said, what is the context of that post?

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, I seems like he technically said he doesn't recall ever seeing that and likely decided to do it because he simply thought it'd be interesting.

With that said, what is the context of that post?

He's only just now thought about one of his main characters team mates. Then he made the point that he was going to make them an all black crew. I wonder how many actors he can find to trace for them?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 4

Heaven forbid he does that... I'm also going to bet, that he'll have one token black woman in the crew, who'll either be the 'sassy' one or the 'motherly' one, cause we all know how inter-sectional Mr Penders' feminism is.

:rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

He's only just now thought about one of his main characters team mates. Then he made the point that he was going to make them an all black crew. I wonder how many actors he can find to trace for them?

Oh yeah, that. At the very least, it does seem to just be a creative musing rather than anything significant.

• Nice Smile 1

21 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Actually, i think someone already did, i'll try and stay clear of anything off-topic, but Guardians: Evolution, a type of claymation , that i glimpsed at on a Australian indigenous themed channel (It may be low budget but definitely  better than what ken can come up with)