Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

59 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Oh, I see now.  By saying that Antoine and Bunnie's wedding was a huge deal and that it should have been the focus of #200 instead of a "regular issue", what Ken really meant to say was that he considers their wedding a mere subplot that should have served as one of many pieces of window dressing.

...Wait, what?

Evidently it's a big enough deal to subtly insult Flynn over, but not so big a deal that it could've forced his Huge Big Plot to take a backseat for a moment. Combined with his evident wish that 200 would also signal a reboot for the series, that just makes it sound like their marriage would literally be erased within the same issue it happened. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Oh, I see now.  By saying that Antoine and Bunnie's wedding was a huge deal and that it should have been the focus of #200 instead of a "regular issue", what Ken really meant to say was that he considers their wedding a mere subplot that should have served as one of many pieces of window dressing.

...Wait, what?

Yay my typo if on display forever.

Seriously though I just do not get his train of though.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm starting to assume that he was working on his Lara-Su material finally and plotting out how it links to the original comics (as he has mentioned that recently) and he had an idea that revolved around the original comics portion of the material.

He was like, that's a neat idea, I'm going to tell everyone on Twitter this was my plan for the comics had I continued with them, forgetting he had already done so previously with another idea, and is now wasting time trying to plot out how it all fits together so he's not wrong and called out on his own Twitter page yet again...and all the while his actual project still patiently waits for him to actually pay it some attention again.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

52 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I'm starting to assume that he was working on his Lara-Su material finally and plotting out how it links to the original comics (as he has mentioned that recently) and he had an idea that revolved around the original comics portion of the material.

He was like, that's a neat idea, I'm going to tell everyone on Twitter this was my plan for the comics had I continued with them, forgetting he had already done so previously with another idea, and is now wasting time trying to plot out how it all fits together so he's not wrong and called out on his own Twitter page yet again...and all the while his actual project still patiently waits for him to actually pay it some attention again.

That's all so plausible that it's almost depressing. He probably WOULD rather spend time connecting the threads of a pair of nonexistent ideas meant for Sonic than actually do work on his ACTUAL project. Sheesh. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 2

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

...this topic has now reached 300 pages? This is madness! :P

Madness?

Spoiler

This is SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 2

In response to not getting any info on if the Freedom Fighters would be involved from the stream today. Such a bunch of horses ass, seriously, comic shops wouldn't care if it continued from Archie's run, or if it had the Freedom Fighters. It's the name, the brand that sells, I doubt many comic shop owners would even know the contents of something like Sonic besides the fact it stars Sonic. The non main cast characters in something that isn't "mainstream" like a Marvel or DC title wouldn't be common knowledge outside of the fans. Guy will do and say anything if it means trying to prove points he's brought up.

• Thumbs Up 8

At first I was bothered about them holding back the details, but now I know they're doing the right thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

I

what

Is he really saying there that the only reason someone should ever introduce new characters for the series is if they can claim ownership over them?  That's the only thing I can take from "if the creators contractually have a stake to do so".  If that's actually what he meant, it's possibly one of the most utterly ridiculous things he's ever said.

...Also, Ken, didn't you originally introduce all of your characters from the Archie run while under the impression that Sega would have ownership over them, and only discovered otherwise later?

Given some of the other things he's said, that would be pretty stiff competition. And yeah, he did, more than a few times. It would certainly be a tad hypocritical then, given that the only reason he has any profit potential from his characters was due to sheer dumb luck and he didn't go into things planning it that way, but then Penders' seems to think the highly unusual circumstances of his case should serve as a blueprint for others, while ignoring the 'dumb luck' factor of things. 

Otherwise it just seems to be his usual pseudo-concern for creatives expressing itself the only way Penders seems able to express anything about comics- by putting profit first and not considering the more creative aspects of creation. 

41 minutes ago, Tenko said:

In response to not getting any info on if the Freedom Fighters would be involved from the stream today. Such a bunch of horses ass, seriously, comic shops wouldn't care if it continued from Archie's run, or if it had the Freedom Fighters. It's the name, the brand that sells, I doubt many comic shop owners would even know the contents of something like Sonic besides the fact it stars Sonic. The non main cast characters in something that isn't "mainstream" like a Marvel or DC title wouldn't be common knowledge outside of the fans. Guy will do and say anything if it means trying to prove points he's brought up.

This isn't the first time Penders has mentioned these mysterious Comic Shop Owners that he knows. They have a very odd tendency to not only say things that are agreeable to him personally, but also exult upon him specifically. On his forum he mentioned that these same 'Comic Shop Owners' told him that what they had seen of LSC was on par or even SUPERIOR to anything put out by Archie at that time. Much like the legions of fans who evidently support him but never buy his stuff or publically defend him, it is deeply suspect as to whether or not they even exist or if Penders is accurately relaying what they tell him.

By which I mean 'Yeah, he's totally making this up'. 

Also that 'stay tuned' thing is really quite hilarious coming from him given the SHEER number of times he's responded to questions with 'Wait until LSC' with regards to things that had already happened in the comics. But then, hypocrisy is pretty par the course by this point. 

8 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Also common sense dictates if Penders says it's terrible marketing then your probably doing it right.

But but... this is the brilliant mind that gave us 'diva-isnous'! How could you possibly question such STELLAR marketing tactics as displayed by this canny and insightful professional???

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Penders maybe needs to take Marketing 101 again considering all the marketing for his comic has been screaming into a vacuum and occasionally uploading horrors untold.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 2

14 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I couldn't help but bring up Horridus's points with him on Twitter. Good points, he's seriously lost his passion for creating if everything needs to be an eventual paycheck to be worth the time. He's not even that well known in the comic book world to be able to monetize all his "creations" and doodles for coin. Im just hoping when Lara-Su fails it teaches him some much needed lessons, but if Lost Ones is anything to go by...I'm not holding my breath on that one. 

It won't teach him anything. Penders never, ever accepts that any of the setbacks or failures in his career are his own fault. There's always something, a circumstance or somebody else to blame for things being less than perfect. The Lost Ones didn't fail because it was a bad book, it was because of behind the scenes changes in the company. Knuckles didn't get cancelled because it wasn't selling, it was because of Walmart no longer stocking comics and Star Wars comics taking attention away from the book. It's not because of his writing decisions that M:25YL was a wretched soap opera, he was just 'giving fans what they wanted', and on and on and on it goes. This man is incapable of accepting any kind of responsibility or fault on his part, and at this point I don't think anything will change that. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

In case there was still any doubt:

The one time he actually clarifies himself on something, and it's to make it more clear that he really was saying something ridiculously stupid.  It's almost as if he was worried people might think he had meant something reasonable there.

Doing a job well? Pride in one's own work? Passion?

This proves, by his own admission, that he's not an artist -- he's nothing but a hack.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 minutes ago, Tenko said:

There's also the legacy you can leave behind, if it wasn't for his greed his characters would still potentially have a place in the Sonic mythos, would still be enjoyed by readers for years to come, would delight readers new and old alike.

But he decided to squander all that for a potential pay off, which never happened as his material was swiftly dumped from the book due to his unreasonable demands, and in turn they are now nothing more than a non-cannon footnote in the continuing franchise. Now with Archie gone as the publisher too, no more books being reprinted, they will only live on via articles on the net, and the older fans who remember them.

His potential legacy and mark on the franchise, over time, with the new material replacing it, will be mostly forgotten and he himself  (as has seemed to have happened already) remembered as a greedy, duplicitous creator with a little bit of a superiority complex.

If we all hadn't had nasty dealings with the guy, it would be a little bit sad.

Ironic really. He sought to leave a legacy of being a great creator, and instead will leave a legacy of destruction, incompetence and egomania instead.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

That's also contingent on Lara-Su coming out and let's face it, that's never happening. You can't fail if you never try.

Also I can't say I'm surprised Pender's passion is no more robust than simple basic greed. He fancies himself a businessman more than an author or an artist, he's too daft to understand he's a poor one.

I found that out way beforehand when he was on his forum. So far, he has never made any effort in the backgrounds he has shown whatsoever, or actually keeping track over his non-background prominent characters. I always thought that you should show love in creating your characters and their world, its just that he's filling in the holes of his comic with already used sci-fi stuff like Dune

5 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Doing a job well? Pride in one's own work? Passion?

This proves, by his own admission, that he's not an artist -- he's nothing but a hack.

I agree that you need pride in your work. of course everyone is entitled to pay and a fair share and being paid is important, but if you don't show respect or have passion, why even go into writing stories in the first place. it would mean nothing if you keep burning bridges (the good example of that was Ian Flynn- whilst he may be divisive within the fandom, he has gone into researching sonic and being respectful, not putting in Sci-fi stuff, and not constantly bickering on twitter, he got the job of writing for IDW)- Ken Penders must have got burned from that.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2

41 minutes ago, Sidronas said:

it would mean nothing if you keep burning bridges (the good example of that was Ian Flynn- whilst he may be divisive within the fandom, he has gone into researching sonic and being respectful, not putting in Sci-fi stuff, and not constantly bickering on twitter, he got the job of writing for IDW)- Ken Penders must have got burned from that.

Its not just research and respect, Ian was, and still is, a fan of the franchise. He used to write fan comics with the characters back in the day, Other M being the most well known. He has a real love for everything in the franchise, it's not just for show like with some creators, it's genuine.

• Thumbs Up 6