Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

3 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Hold on, did I miss an issue? When did he do that? That's terrible, I want to see.

It was with a draft version where Sonic got put on trial, but I don’t believe it was used.

8 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Considering that he had something similar with the OJ Simpson trial way back when, him doing it again is oddly unsurprising.

6 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Hold on, did I miss an issue? When did he do that? That's terrible, I want to see.

I remember, though I wish I didn't.

CBKG2AEUcAAfIp3.jpg

Doesn't make what he's done here any less horrible. What the hell is wrong with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, okay, I remember that now that I['m looking at it. And yeah it is terrible.

As a side note, you ever notice how Sonic and Antoine actually sort-of look like themselves there? Why did Penders get worse at drawing Sonic characters over time?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Okay, okay, I remember that now that I['m looking at it. And yeah it is terrible.

As a side note, you ever notice how Sonic and Antoine actually sort-of look like themselves there? Why did Penders get worse at drawing Sonic characters over time?

Lack of practice? Lack of care? Lack of memory on how to draw them properly?

Kinda can’t help but wonder if he never practices his work and just assumes he shits out rainbows and classics.

I feel like part of his devolution over the years art-wise has to do with trying harder over time to make them more human-like and detailed in all the wrong ways.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I feel like part of his devolution over the years art-wise has to do with trying harder over time to make them more human-like and detailed in all the wrong ways.

Is there a right way? I mean, you're pretty much limited to turning them into anime humans or real furaffinity shit. I'm sure plenty of us wouldn't mind that second one, but personally I'm not ok with either of those. 

Even back then you see random filler characters getting names and guidelines etc, could have had Knuckles turn up on the cover for the trial, or Sally and King Maxx what with being ruling monarchs etc. Or other prominent "council" members along with Dylan and Penelope, any other characters living in the area or allied with the Freedom Fighters really. 

But instead you get Whitney, and some horse dude named after an actual car model, and a shark (orca?).

Reminder that the early Archie series had a character named Sleuth Doggy Dawg, so that kind of cringe worthy pun was pretty bog standard when it came to the series humor.

Although you know if Ford Bronco became a character he'd have an incredibly self-serious three part back-up story a couple years later.

Edit: Bronco, not Mustang.

Worthless interjection but i think Ford Bronco and Ford Mustang are great punny names for horse characters

However I still fully agree with 1) the O.J. Simpson idea was tasteless and it's a good thing that it never came to pass 2) what Penders is doing now is even more tasteless and 3) why not just use pre-established characters when you already have so many? (if you need a horse why not use Sir Connery?). 

17 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

19.jpg

Also note that Espio looks more like a sack of potatoes than a human.

Yeah I don't get what's up with Penders' style of character design. They all look so humanised in the wrong way.

• Nice Smile 1

54 minutes ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

You realise Penders didn't draw that?

Clearly not, or else I wouldn't have posted that. I'm not very familiar with the Archie comics. But speaking about human features on the characters instantly made time think of that monstrosity.

Who did draw it? And why was that kind of artstyle so prevalent for so long?

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Also note that Espio looks more like a sack of potatoes than a human.

I'm more concerned for Mighty...his arm, bicep, fist etc seem to be the same size as his body. His legs look super thin too. Guy has been skipping leg day more than Boom Knux lol 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Clearly not, or else I wouldn't have posted that. I'm not very familiar with the Archie comics. But speaking about human features on the characters instantly made time think of that monstrosity.

Who did draw it? And why was that kind of artstyle so prevalent for so long?

Chris Allan, who did killer work for Archie's TMNT Adventures prior to this.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:01 PM, Tylinos said:

Who is this comic/graphic novel-app thing even for?

21 hours ago, horridus said:

CBKG2AEUcAAfIp3.jpg

Doesn't make what he's done here any less horrible. What the hell is wrong with him.

That thing's a horse?! And why is there a random ass land-shark?!

Also, I assume Whitey there was a early version of Drago.

13 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Reminder that the early Archie series had a character named Sleuth Doggy Dawg, so that kind of cringe worthy pun was pretty bog standard when it came to the series humor.

Although you know if Ford Bronco became a character he'd have an incredibly self-serious three part back-up story a couple years later.

Edit: Bronco, not Mustang.

True, but keep in mind- this was the issue meant to kick off Endgame, the 'Grand Finale' for the comic series, and mister "I-Am-Totally-A-Serious-Writer" decided to start things off with an inspid and tasteless referential joke to the OJ Simpson Trial, as well as the fact that by THIS point things had supposedly moved on from the 'Pun' times of the earlier days. 

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The mature audience that Penders always secretly wished he had been writing for, I would imagine.

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That thing's a horse?! And why is there a random ass land-shark?!

Also, I assume Whitey there was a early version of Drago.

There is a random ass land shark because Penders thought this was a tasteful way to parody Johnny Cochran. 

And no, sadly- that horse, 'Ford Bronco', is yet another reference to the OJ Simpson trial, or rather the events leading up to it- Simpson was famously involved in a police chase in a white Ford Bronco prior to his arrest and to the murder trial. It's all just referential, garbage tier attempts at being 'contemporary'. 

• Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, horridus said:

True, but keep in mind- this was the issue meant to kick off Endgame, the 'Grand Finale' for the comic series, and mister "I-Am-Totally-A-Serious-Writer" decided to start things off with an inspid and tasteless referential joke to the OJ Simpson Trial, as well as the fact that by THIS point things had supposedly moved on from the 'Pun' times of the earlier days. 

Keep in mind too that Sleuth Doggy Dawg becomes a traitor and is treated as a much more serious character in literally the issue before End Game. His whole name is a really dumb obvious pun but he's a serious character at that point in the story and is one for quite some time after. That kind of tonal inconsistency was very much part of the comic at that time, I don't think a tasteless OJ reference would have been out of form, though in no way am I defending it as being good.

I think Penders was trying to find a balance between a serious tone with some humor, but his lack of aptitude as a writer just made the whole thing a mess.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Quick question, but does anyone know why Ken resorted to using real-life pictures for his backgrounds in the comic(issue 99 and 100 of Sonic stand out to me) and why he continues for the Lara-Su Chronicles?  Can he not draw backgrounds or is it for convenience? He has ever said why he employs this in one of his many, many tweets?

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Like his stance on most things, he seems to keep moving the goalposts on that.

And no matter how they played him, I could never take Sleuth seriously.

21 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Quick question, but does anyone know why Ken resorted to using real-life pictures for his backgrounds in the comic(issue 99 and 100 of Sonic stand out to me) and why he continues for the Lara-Su Chronicles?  Can he not draw backgrounds or is it for convenience? He has ever said why he employs this in one of his many, many tweets?

He's never given a reason. The presumption is that he does it for convenience/out of laziness. He also used photographed  backgrounds several times in his single issue 'Original Series', The Lost Ones. It pretty much ingrained into him by this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/18/2017 at 5:42 PM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Chris Allan, who did killer work for Archie's TMNT Adventures prior to this.

Makes sense considering they have ninja turtles proportions, look at Mighty, this dude clearly didn't know how to draw sonic characters and went with what he knew.

None of them knew how to draw Sonic characters, which was a big turn off for me for these comics for the longest time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

On 10/17/2017 at 11:12 PM, horridus said:

CBKG2AEUcAAfIp3.jpg

LMAO is that a Street Shark?

• Chuckle 1