Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

32 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm glad he never got to touch on characters like Blaze, Cream, or Silver.

Chances are he just wouldn't care. Look at how he used Shadow, he was forced to use him because he was a big thing at the time but Ken kept him REALLY to the back.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Aye. He was never all that interested in telling the stories of characters who had already been worked on by others- Knuckles is a notable exception for the simple fact that Knuckles was such a blank slate that he could project on him whatever traits he wanted, and to this day he still seems convinced that Knuckles is 'his' in a way. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, horridus said:

Aye. He was never all that interested in telling the stories of characters who had already been worked on by others- Knuckles is a notable exception for the simple fact that Knuckles was such a blank slate that he could project on him whatever traits he wanted, and to this day he still seems convinced that Knuckles is 'his' in a way. 

Even though he was created by Sega.

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Even though he was created by Sega.

Penders has gone on at length about how he 'brought value' to Knuckles, and has developed a weirdly possessive attitude over the character despite the fact that he was never, ever his  at any point ever. He's never said that he should own Knuckles, but reading between the lines of his statements and his behavior on the subject, its easy to get the impression that he feels as though he SHOULD own Knuckles because of all the work he did on the character. Granted, he has a bit of an entitlement complex about Sonic in *general*, but its especially pronounced with Knuckles. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, horridus said:

Penders has gone on at length about how he 'brought value' to Knuckles, and has developed a weirdly possessive attitude over the character despite the fact that he was never, ever his  at any point ever. He's never said that he should own Knuckles, but reading between the lines of his statements and his behavior on the subject, its easy to get the impression that he feels as though he SHOULD own Knuckles because of all the work he did on the character. Granted, he has a bit of an entitlement complex about Sonic in *general*, but its especially pronounced with Knuckles. 

By that logic, wouldn't Ian own Scourge and other characters that Penders copyrighted?

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

By that logic, wouldn't Ian own Scourge and other characters that Penders copyrighted?

Nope, because astoundingly, by Penders' own logic a character's popularity is tied directly with the original creator of a character regardless of how much or how little they actually did to make said character popular. He's gone off as not thinking of anything after the Lee and Kirby run of Fantastic Four as 'counting', and once got into an extended internet slap fight because someone pointed out that Frank Miller's run on Daredevil defined the character more than Stan Lee's take. 

Of course, none of this applies to him and Knuckles, or his work on Sonic in general- there, he is magically popular because it was all him, and the games and cartoons from which the comics sprang have NOTHING to do with it. Once he was able to acknowledge otherwise, but he's long since glutted himself on his own Kool-Aid to the point where he can no longer contextualize the comic beyond himself. 

In short, he's an egomaniac and a hypocrite, and anything he applies to others can never be applied to him. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Nope, because astoundingly, by Penders' own logic a character's popularity is tied directly with the original creator of a character regardless of how much or how little they actually did to make said character popular. He's gone off as not thinking of anything after the Lee and Kirby run of Fantastic Four as 'counting', and once got into an extended internet slap fight because someone pointed out that Frank Miller's run on Daredevil defined the character more than Stan Lee's take. 

Of course, none of this applies to him and Knuckles, or his work on Sonic in general- there, he is magically popular because it was all him, and the games and cartoons from which the comics sprang have NOTHING to do with it. Once he was able to acknowledge otherwise, but he's long since glutted himself on his own Kool-Aid to the point where he can no longer contextualize the comic beyond himself. 

In short, he's an egomaniac and a hypocrite, and anything he applies to others can never be applied to him. 

I'm reminded of a certain Michael Bolton song whenever I hear again of Ken's unhealthy relationship with Knuckles' popularity.  It's so bizarre how he doesn't notice that in spite of being all for "Creator's right" he still keeps an unfairly low view of other creator's works like the ones you mentioned, or even Ian's Sonic run.  I mean, can't he see how badly this makes him look?  Guess you could say not many people know of him for it to be such a huge deal, but most people can understand you cannot have your cake and eat it too in this kind of situation.  I don't wish him ill, or anything.  If anything I just hope he can have some light bulb moment and start having some self awareness, but alas it's not ever the case typically with people.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

I'm reminded of a certain Michael Bolton song whenever I hear again of Ken's unhealthy relationship with Knuckles' popularity.  It's so bizarre how he doesn't notice that in spite of being all for "Creator's right" he still keeps an unfairly low view of other creator's works like the ones you mentioned, or even Ian's Sonic run.  I mean, can't he see how badly this makes him look?  Guess you could say not many people know of him for it to be such a huge deal, but most people can understand you cannot have your cake and eat it too in this kind of situation.  I don't wish him ill, or anything.  If anything I just hope he can have some light bulb moment and start having some self awareness, but alas it's not ever the case typically with people.

It's kind of sad really. I mean he obviously suffers from self-delusion and it might take a lot to snap him out of it.

13 hours ago, horridus said:

He's never said that he should own Knuckles, but reading between the lines of his statements and his behavior on the subject, its easy to get the impression that he feels as though he SHOULD own Knuckles because of all the work he did on the character. Granted, he has a bit of an entitlement complex about Sonic in *general*, but its especially pronounced with Knuckles. 

He got pretty darn close to outright saying he should be able to use Knuckles remember. Not own mind you, but use, and this was after previously saying he didn't want or need to use him which made it all the more silly.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

He got pretty darn close to outright saying he should be able to use Knuckles remember. Not own mind you, but use, and this was after previously saying he didn't want or need to use him which made it all the more silly.

That's pretty hypocritical after what he did.

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

Pfft. I'd honestly forgotten about that. Guy really does live in his own little world if he honestly thinks that's anywhere within the realm of possibility. Then again, this IS the same guy who tried to use the Lawsuit to force SEGA to make that Knuckles film of his... 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:43 PM, Sidronas said:

Whelp, at least he looks like he sort of got the names planned out. Also notice that one of the book titles copies a certain James Bond titles (no surprise). Wasn't it supposed to be set in the future and all that is left is the Not Angel Island.

Yeah that doesn't mean much. I've seen plenty of webcomic authors plot out chapter names in advance of having anything substantial to show. Could be taken as another sign of Pender's typical "ideas man" shtick of having a vision larger than he's willing or able to act upon.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

There was also some sort of argument about whether Ken Penders has to have permission regarding Stephen Butler's works, which he said he didn't own (unfortunately)

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/934087845215592448

I as one of the people who found his use of the word mobius on his forum (RutanRocks- a now redundant and i would rather prefer to never use that name again), and called him out for it. And his reasoning for it is really bone-headed. I would rather start something afresh, but that's just Penders.  (well, that was actually a different question regarding for the name of his so-called company). And not to mention that after saying that, he saids the name will be irrelevent after the planet is destroyed, sheesh, why even bother going into the trouble in the first place. (though the i think previously i thought him using Kintobor was too far, he could have used the other name, but i dont  want to help him in any way)

29 minutes ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/935758213269647361 So here's something interesting actually. Some roughs of a cover using the original art Ken had posted. There's Knuckles of course, but more surprisingly Kragok is there. EDIT: Just noticed Knuckles has a robot hand.

Looking at the poster, fancy seeing the writing, i really hope he isn't going to reuse the entire words, but it actually ties in with the previous paragraph

I am not surprised that he is re-using the same drawing again and is using a background, i know it is a rough promo but still.

Also: I am not surprised that he has to resort to using family members 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Sidronas said:

Looking at the poster, fancy seeing the writing, i really hope he isn't going to reuse the entire words, but it actually ties in with the previous paragraph

I am not surprised that he is re-using the same drawing again and is using a background, i know it is a rough promo but still.

It's an old promo, from back when these pics were new.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

It's an old promo, from back when these pics were new.

yeah, i guess i should cut him a little bit of slack about that, seeing as though it was early and a rough draft

Oh, he apparently he is said to be in the comics before he revealed that early promo thing, unfortunately, he also revealed something about him that makes me glad Kragok doesn't exist anymore, 

Spoiler

He sexually assaulted someone and that he became a father to a son. As i said I'm glad he's not working for Sonic anymore

Edited by Sidronas
spoiler

1 hour ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/935758213269647361 So here's something interesting actually. Some roughs of a cover using the original art Ken had posted. There's Knuckles of course, but more surprisingly Kragok is there. EDIT: Just noticed Knuckles has a robot hand.

Once more, I question the wisdom of posting materials that flat out connect the project explicitly to the fact that this thing started out as Sonic and continues to be highly derivative from that franchise, but hey, if the guy wants to do his best to look like he's always been a desperate hanger-on, then fine by me. Also, I gotta ask... what the hell is it with him making the bionics look like a mass of tumors? Cause seriously, that arm is like just a random shape with a bunch of lumps growing out of it. 

And I can guess exactly why Kragok is here- because people were ticked off at him over the fact that he unceremoniously killed off the guy, and when confronted over it basically said 'not every story has a satisfactory ending'. Kragok's intended use was destined to be little more than an attention grabbing gimmick, even in the face of the fact that Penders blatantly didn't have any idea of what to do with him after a certain point. 

Aaand of course, yet another photographed background, extending into acting as the setting itself. Good grief. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

9 hours ago, horridus said:

Aaand of course, yet another photographed background, extending into acting as the setting itself. Good grief. 

Background AND Foreground...

Also that looks like Butler's artwork for Knuckles (here its Knuckles, not K'nox) and Kargok.

23 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

Background AND Foreground...

Also that looks like Butler's artwork for Knuckles (here its Knuckles, not K'nox) and Kargok.

Nah, that's purely Penders' work- he's the only one who draws muzzles in that particular configuration. What astounds me is that while his design work is still garbage, the unfinished bits of art actually look much better than the finished work, before he colors and inks it. Granted, this is from years back and before he decided to squeeze everyone into a humanoid mold, so, there is indeed that as a factor. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Nah, that's purely Penders' work- he's the only one who draws muzzles in that particular configuration. What astounds me is that while his design work is still garbage, the unfinished bits of art actually look much better than the finished work, before he colors and inks it. Granted, this is from years back and before he decided to squeeze everyone into a humanoid mold, so, there is indeed that as a factor. 

Ahh you are right.  I see the classic Penders "cone nose" on him.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

On 11/29/2017 at 2:51 AM, Sidronas said:

Oh, he apparently he is said to be in the comics before he revealed that early promo thing, unfortunately, he also revealed something about him that makes me glad Kragok doesn't exist anymore, 

Reveal hidden contents

He sexually assaulted someone and that he became a father to a son. As i said I'm glad he's not working for Sonic anymore

Whoa what? Where did he say he assaulted anyone? I just went through recent tweets and found nothing. 

30 minutes ago, Neon Zephyr said:

Whoa what? Where did he say he assaulted anyone? I just went through recent tweets and found nothing. 

It was from back in October:

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

It was from back in October:

Ah. I missed that. Still tone-deaf in my opinion.

Also, it really bugs me how he says he "discovered" details he's coming up with as he goes. It makes it sound like he's trying to sound more important. (Par for the course, I know, but still.) Especially when it contradicts things he has said in the past. Didn't he forget that he confirmed that Kragok's son was Remington years ago?

• Thumbs Up 5

33 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Woah I heard of this dude, is he still trying to win a case against his characters being used.

No, that was like 5 years ago