Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

While I doubt it hits the march release on the off chance it does it feels like a date chosen to maybe pick up a few lines of being mentioned in articles about IDW Sonic that'll be appearing around then.

I'm starting to think that the comic doesn't even exist. No script. No storylines. Just concept art and random comic pages and character ideas. Just an empty plattform for merch.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

On 1/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, Tylinos said:

And now for another edition of Ken's Arbitrary Deadlines:

The TL-SC app is now slated for a March release.  Because having just missed yet another arbitrary deadline for it last month apparently still wasn't enough for him to realize he should just stop publicizing release windows.

Wow I can't possibly imagine why he would want it to release in March...a full month before another type of release...

And I seriously doubt he will hit that mark, he seems to be heavily invested in shooting The Republic right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, Tylinos said:

And now for another edition of Ken's Arbitrary Deadlines:

The TL-SC app is now slated for a March release.  Because having just missed yet another arbitrary deadline for it last month apparently still wasn't enough for him to realize he should just stop publicizing release windows.

How long has Penders been working on "The Republic" now?

I remember him first talking about it back in 2010 just before all the legal shit started, and I remember watching the sneak peak(it's shit, trust me) of "The Republic" when he posted it on Youtube back in 2011.

It's 2018 now, and 2020 is only a few years away so ten years I guess.

Yeah I think that it's safe to say that it's never coming out.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Spinneret said:

How long has Penders been working on "The Republic" now?

I remember him first talking about it back in 2010 just before all the legal shit started, and I remember watching the sneak peak(it's shit, trust me) of "The Republic" when he posted it on Youtube back in 2011.

It's 2018 now, and 2020 is only a few years away so ten years I guess.

Yeah I think that it's safe to say that it's never coming out.

Yep, that's about right. He keeps bringing it up and talks about all the progress he's making, but the most recent bit of media he released in conjunction with it was a teaser. I'm not going to link it, but its even more pathetic than you could imagine- its literally a clip of Trump from the last election before melting into an 'ominous' flame effect before fading into the title and the asinine tagline. Even better? It was made as an afterthought. 

The odds of the The Republic coming out anytime soon are as good as the odds of The Lost Ones movie or Lara-Su Chronicles coming out- slim to nil. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh, I don't know. Things in movies and TV can sometimes take a LOT longer to come to fruition than in comic books.

That's not me showing faith it'll ever happen, though, I'm just saying that's probably not among the better reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

On 12/30/2017 at 7:07 PM, Tylinos said:

Another reminder that Ken really didn't like Karl playing with his toys during their time on the book together.  Ken only seems to like continuity being kept and developed on if it doesn't involve other writers developing on what he established.

I always wondered how Penders was going to handle Geoffrey being married to Hershey since Karl did the story where they got married. And yet he keeps saying this is suppose to be a continuation of the Archie-verse where they were married.

My head hurts.

10 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Eh, I don't know. Things in movies and TV can sometimes take a LOT longer to come to fruition than in comic books.

True, but there's also a point where you have too realize that something's just not working out, and maybe you should just cancel the project.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Sorry Ken.

Geoffery became one of my favorite characters by the book's end but it was literally only because he became a villain that worked for Ixis Naugus. Can't exactly say I care all that much whether or not he's getting them Hershey's Kisses. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sorry Ken.

Geoffery became one of my favorite characters by the book's end but it was literally only because he became a villain that worked for Ixis Naugus. Can't exactly say I care all that much whether or not he's getting them Hershey's Kisses. 

I agree. Ian retconing Geoffrey into a Ixis wizard was the best thing that ever happened to the character.

Geoffrey was way more interesting as a villain than as furry James Bond.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Real question time: Which do you think will come first? The Lara-Su Chronicles, or Half-Life 3?

Spider-man 27: Revenge of Hammerhead

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Real question time: Which do you think will come first? The Lara-Su Chronicles, or Half-Life 3?

Portal 3

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Ken Penders 34: return of Ken's long lost sidekick-the brain. This time with even more legal bickering and whining and 300% more big-lipped echidnas.

12 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Megaman Legends 3 (oh god, excuse me *runs off in tears*)

• Chuckle 1

14 hours ago, Spinneret said:

I always wondered how Penders was going to handle Geoffrey being married to Hershey since Karl did the story where they got married. And yet he keeps saying this is suppose to be a continuation of the Archie-verse where they were married.

My head hurts.

It hurts a lot less when you remind yourself that Penders' proclamations of caring about and honoring the contributions of others who worked on the book was just a lie he fed in the hopes of reeling in as many fans as possible. He never really kept up with anything most of the other writers did, and even admitted that one his final run he basically tried to pick up where he left off, moving quickly to gloss over and undo the 'damage' of things like the REturn to Angel Island arc so that he might once again have the status quo he preferred. 

Penders flat out does not respect the efforts of other writers on the book, especially when it pertains to developments regarding his characters. He recently mentioned wanting to include Scourge- this is because he knows Scourge is far, far more popular than 'Anti-Sonic' ever was, and even though he'd never give Flynn's works the time of day he still sees fit to try and leech off his efforts and popularity for his own ends. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sorry Ken.

So noted. It does little to change the fact that its another demonstration of how little Penders really respects the work other writers put into the book despite claiming otherwise. Though perhaps there is a silver lining to it after all- at least the people who cared about the development won't be forced to endure seeing Penders horribly inept notions of relationships and romance rendering the whole thing hideous. Or at least that would be the case, if it weren't abundantly clear that this thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sorry Ken.

6 hours ago, Spinneret said:

I agree. Ian retconing Geoffrey into a Ixis wizard was the best thing that ever happened to the character.

Geoffrey was way more interesting as a villain than as furry James Bond.

To be fair, Geoffrey was almost always an antagonistic character that just happened to be on the same side as the heroes. Even if it was originally an informed allegiance.

• Nice Smile 1

On 27/01/2018 at 4:53 AM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

That's not me showing faith it'll ever happen, though, I'm just saying that's probably not among the better reasons.

yeah, i really don't see his republic thing happening. and didn't he say that it was originally sci-fi, isn't it more of a doomsday/apocalypse context, although he did say that the lara Su chronicles was "hard science fiction" where it involving animals and "floating islands". he's just fumbling around without really knowing what he is doing isn't he?

2 hours ago, Sidronas said:

yeah, i really don't see his republic thing happening. and didn't he say that it was originally sci-fi, isn't it more of a doomsday/apocalypse context, although he did say that the lara Su chronicles was "hard science fiction" where it involving animals and "floating islands". he's just fumbling around without really knowing what he is doing isn't he?

He says lots of things. 

Bet he doesn't remember half of them.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

Gee, you know, when a long-lasting, full of problems subway-continuation manages to get ready (at least ~1/2 year) before Penders' even got his app out for real...

I'm kind of sorry for not being able to do any jokes that subway-continuation taking more time to get usable than TL-SC app. -_-

• Nice Smile 1

Tangentially related, because I wouldn't be surprised at all if TLSC is published under the FIP branding (and because it speaks to the quality of Ken's work) :

Did...did anything even change at all?  Apart from maybe the font, this looks pretty much identical to how the logo looked in his teasers nearly a decade ago.  It still looks like an unfinished placeholder.  If he can't put the effort into simply tweaking and polishing an animation a little bit, how does he expect to finish the art for a seven book series?

• Thumbs Up 3

I can see several differences:

-The light coming over the horizon is there permanently when it originally started shining as soon as the "Floating Island" got close enough to the screen.

-The "Floating Island" itself seems to be shaded so it actually looks like that horizon light is making the botton of it glow, which I don't think the original had.

-The original had these random blue tints on the edges of the screen, this one doesn't.

-This one's widescreen.

And the logo's font of course.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1