Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

He sort of looks like the kid in the comic, but do we really need to bring his family into this? (Despite the fact that he came out in the comic)

I'm sure no one from SSMB will do this, but I feel like other fans/guests might stumble into that link and start bothering him about his dad's actions.

point taken. removed from my post

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/472148785162776576

Ken Penders ‏@KenPenders

@SonicBlueRanger @DestinyofAwe @AdamisFox I don't recall seeing any of Ben's work that approached the level of Spaz or J. Axer.

3:53 PM - 29 May 2014

Did KEN F*CKING PENDERS JUST SLAM BEN BATES AS NOT BEING AS NOT BEING AS DETAILED OR GOOD AS SPAZ OR... J. AXER?!

Didn't Penders in the past say he didn't like Axer as much as Dawn Best or Butler? Now he's super detailed all of a sudden.

And it looks like Kenny boy's starting to know when he's got to do quick damage control after he slams former Sonic creatives now: https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/472149016285687808

Ken Penders @KenPenders

@SonicBlueRanger @DestinyofAwe @AdamisFox That doesn't mean I consider his work "bad" in any way, shape or form the way the word is used.

3:54 PM - 29 May 2014

Yeah, keep trying Ken. Bates could do better work with his other hand than you could your entire career. Screw you, you pissant.

• Thumbs Up 5

Uh, we're talking artsyles in the comic right? And not in general?

I mean J. Axer does put a hell of a lot of detail in his art, so...

Well yeah I mean, Bates' art is obviously not as detailed as Axer's. But thing is you can't really compare these two artists can you? They're both great, but it's two completely different art styles! So it's a bit unfair to say Bates' work isn't as detailed as Axer's.

I think it's perfectly fair to say that Bate's work isn't as detailed as Axer's is. I mean, that's just something you can tell right off the bat by looking and comparing them.

What's actually unfair is to use that an a excuse to criticize and devalue Bate's work by comparison...then do a 180 to do damage control. That's where the argument of "two different art styles" comes into play; strengths and weaknesses people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I think Pender's just loves this attention. Sometimes, I think he legitimately comes out to ruffle feathers just to see how people react.

• Thumbs Up 1

Penders's wording, that Bates's work isn't at the same level, suggests he doesn't think Bates is as good as Spaz (and he has slammed Axer in the past). I suppose that's debatable (I'm sure there are people that don't like any of them), but they're all great and highly skilled.

If we're talking style, yeah, Bates isn't anywhere near as detailed. In fact, his work (going by his Bebop and Rocksteady Micro-Series for IDW last year) has gotten sketchier and looser recently. He can still put down pages with the best of them, and even his sketchiest pencils are still readable without having to render everything in meticulous detail like the aforementioned Axer or Spaz. I personally don't think level of detail in one's drawings is an indication of quality, necessarily. Too much detail is almost as bad. And, Penders really shouldn't be throwing stones.

I'm out of it for a little while and suddenly there are terrible CGI horrors popping up? Seriously, this whole sordid affair is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. Penders has long since thrown away his shovel and exchanged it for a dragline. 

Characters like Geoffrey... okay, I could see them working outside the context of Sonic the Hedgehog, because they're essentially just furry characters that don't necessarily have any connection to Sonic (except two decades, near enough, spent in a Sonic comic... but whatevs). In a similar respect, I have a bunch of OC's in my comic (which started out basically as a Sonic fan comic) that I could totally recycle into a completely original work, because they're just furry, human, and alien characters that aren't Sonic, Star Fox, or Star Wars derivatives. But all of Penders's echidna characters are Sonic derivatives -- they look like and some of them are even the relatives of an actual Sonic character -- and it's really quite sad watching Penders scramble to make them more original, but still managing to fall short. I know if I ever decided to quit writing what is basically a Sonic fan comic, I'd drop all of my echidnas, even if I salvaged everyone else. I make no bones about the fact that they're Knuckles derivatives (thankfully, none of them are related to Knuckles -- I draw the line at that kind of lame fan character creation), but that's okay in a fan comic. In fact, I even use the Penderian naming convention for echidna women. (Don't look at me like that; I started creating these characters in 2001, at the height of the Hulk Knuckles saga when I first started reading StH, and I thought that hyphenated names was a neat idea. Hell, I still do. Not everything Penders came up with was bad.) But in a completely original work, my echidna OC's just wouldn't be good enough; so I'd either completely reinvent them, or just drop them altogether. Probably the latter. 

But anyways, those character designs... Eh... Lien-Da is just hideous. I'm not sure there's anything I can add that hasn't already been said, although I will add to what folks have said about her still looking like a Sonic echidna. Yes, her snout has been compressed, but look at Tikal. She doesn't have the elongated snout that echidna men (and all Penderian echidnas) have either, so really, Penders has just exchanged one type of Sonic echidna look for another. And the point, which everyone else has already made, is that she still looks like a Sonic echidna. She just looks like a really ugly piece of fan art now. 

It's a real shame, honestly. I can tell Penders wants to write something with his own characters and has some kind of grand idea that goes beyond the Sonic mythos. I get it. I write a webcomic that, honestly, went a similar way. It started out as a Sonic fan comic, but eventually all the Sonic stuff got sidelined and I pursued my own story. That's fine in a not-for-profit, web-based, fan series. An officially licensed comic, like StH, however, is not the place for it, and it was vain and arrogant of Penders to ever think that it was appropriate for him to use a comic like StH as a vehicle for his own, original story. Furthermore, I can understand the creator's rights argument too. But it's not like Penders created a bunch of characters that could easily exist in their own separate title and have nothing to do with the title they started out in. You could take any lesser known Marvel or DC superhero and put them in their own separate title that has nothing to do with the wider Marvel or DC universe. And in those situations, I may even be more sympathetic to the creator (Alan Moore, again). But Penders wants to take characters he created for the Sonic comic universe, that he wrapped up intimately in the personal lives of characters that can only exist in the Sonic universe. He wants to disentangle them from twenty years of StH continuity and pretend that they're completely original. But it just won't work. They're echidnas, with an integral connection to Angel Island, and to Knuckles -- friends, enemies, relatives, even his lover and his daughter. It's like trying to take the supporting cast of Superman -- Lois lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, Lex Luthor, Jor-El, Zod, Krypto, etc -- and making a separate comic that has no connection to Superman or DC whatsoever with them. You just can't do that. Why would you think you can? I don't understand why Penders thinks he can make this work.

I'd call him a troll, but I think trolls are generally too lazy to exert this much effort into any of their antics (particularly the financial effort). Instead, I'm very sorry to say it, but I think Penders must be suffering from an incredible delusion. I feel a strange mixture of pity and contempt for him. Pity, because it's not fun to watch someone crash and burn the way he is. Contempt, because he forced the removal of many characters from StH that I'd grown to like, but now I'll never see where their stories were going to go. It's truly a sad state of affairs. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Every time something new Sonic related comes up that's major, he pulls this crap. He can't stand the attention drawn away from him.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm out of it for a little while and suddenly there are terrible CGI horrors popping up? Seriously, this whole sordid affair is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

It's not just a trainwreck; It's a trainwreck that is being forcibly put back together so that the trainwreck can happen again and again, only with even more or less explosive force.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it funny how 'The official twitter account for Ken Penders, who has written and illustrated stories for every major comics publisher including Archie, DC, Marvel and Disney.' has only 166 followers.

There should be a rubber icon. Highlight your text then click the rubber to remove formatting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it funny how 'The official twitter account for Ken Penders, who has written and illustrated stories for every major comics publisher including Archie, DC, Marvel and Disney.' has only 166 followers.

I dunno how Twitter works, but I wonder how many of those followers are Archie fans following him to see all his bullshit.

I dunno how Twitter works, but I wonder how many of those followers are Archie fans following him to see all his bullshit.

All of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see why they'd need to follow him... it's a public feed that anybody can read even without a twitter account, though it wouldn't surprise me if some of his followers are especially pissed off Sonic fans. And there are people like FuhrerMustang, who I believe was the guy stirring shit over Penders wanting to sue SEGA over Mega Collection a while back.

Just had a thought: what the hell is up with the space background and uniform that Taelor is wearing? Is there supposed to be space travel in this pile now? Is OC The Human supposed to be from an entirely different planet? Is Dr. Droid an alien too? Is it just ONE alien planet with a Floating Island (yeah, JUST 'Floating' Island. Guess Kenny despised it when he was forced to rename it 'Angel' Island) and stupid sounding species or is it like everyone BUT the Echyd'nya from different planets?

As its been said before, so will it be said again: "It ssssuuurrrrreeeeee syncs up with the Penders Sonic canon PERFECTLY. Old fans can just jump right in where 25YL left off!" /end bullsh*t

• Thumbs Up 2

Who created Lord Hood btw? Pretty sure it wasn't Penders but I'm keeping an eye on Sonic Boom and hoping old Ken doesn't try claiming anything they come up with as derivatives of his work like he tried with Chronicles. Especially when Boom is spose to be a bit more story/adventure focused.

Just checking on who's snake was whose haha.

Mordred debuted in Scrambled along with several other grandmasters. He's Flynn's character through and through. If he wasn't Flynn's, he wouldn't exist in the comic any more.

Besides, Lyric has more in common with Crimson Cobra from a design standpoint, and his personality is...well, like Eggman's.

Just had a thought: what the hell is up with the space background and uniform that Taelor is wearing? Is there supposed to be space travel in this pile now? Is OC The Human supposed to be from an entirely different planet? Is Dr. Droid an alien too? Is it just ONE alien planet with a Floating Island (yeah, JUST 'Floating' Island. Guess Kenny despised it when he was forced to rename it 'Angel' Island) and stupid sounding species or is it like everyone BUT the Echyd'nya from different planets?

Well, his production company is "Floating Island Productions," because that totally wasn't rooted in his time on the Sonic book, so...

I guess since Taelor is supposed to be our window into all this, maybe he's from Mobius (which Penders appropriated because Archie/SEGA weren't using it anymore). If he's planning on using any of the old Archie canon in his work, and Mobius is basically a futuristic Earth, that would line up, I guess. Though it just painfully spells out why he should've just washed his hands of his old work and come up with something far more unique and original. Though my recent reading of the Sonic/Image crossover suggests "unique" and "original" aren't in Penders's vocabulary.

This whole thread on Twitter put a smile on my face by sheer absurdity: https://twitter.com/FuhrerMustang/status/472191252331376641

But my favorite little bit is this:

Stephen Carnaggio ‏@StephenCarnaggi May 29
@FuhrerMustang endgame was enjoyable, but it was far from perfect and had many holes and stupid parts to it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roy Mustang ‏@FuhrerMustang
@StephenCarnaggi But think if @KenPenders had time to fix up loose ends and rework the story?

7:03 PM - 29 May 2014

Really?

Rework the story and fix up loose ends? The stuff he didn't do when he had a whole 100 issues to do it?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, knowing Penders, he would only try to fix the important stuff, like why Sally was colored wrong at the beginning of the comic.

Yeah, knowing Penders, he would only try to fix the important stuff, like why Sally was colored wrong at the beginning of the comic.

But we still don't know why Robotnik moved out his original factory office and into his SatAM headquarters! We must know this! Please, Penders, tell us!

Seriously though, these are minor retcons that need no explanation. Rather like Sonic suddenly having green eyes and buckles on his shoes. So, he's got an updated look, what of it? Why does a whole story need to be spent explaining that...? And kinda failing at actually explaining it, other than to lampshade the change in appearance? Thing is, only Sonic's change of appearance was highlighted, whereas everyone else just magically got eye colour (or, in Tails's case, a completely new fur colour) without any explanation. Sonic the Comic did the exact same thing, and it just seems odd to me that you'd do that. Especially looking back now, 15 years later, when Sonic has had green eyes longer than he ever had no eye colour.