Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

Yeah, was more talking from an informative point of view to fill in gaps in what we know of the comic, characters creation and history. After this weekend long debate I've sadly been involved in, I shant bother trading questions with Penders again, so its not for that, I deal with enough children at home, I don't need to be trying to educate ones online too, getting to old for all this haha.

Read a very pertinent tweet recently, unfortunate it was after I decided to join this dreaded convo.

I'm thinking this is the new stance I shall take with the Pender Man, as much as I dislike his half-truths and in some cases flat out lies etc it will eventually sort itself out. I just feel bad for those overly zealous fans that are literally retweeting and liking...like literally everything he says. When they find out he's not all that and a bag of potato chips like they think he is...just reminds me of that heartfelt post by Paul Agnew...no one deserves that.

I'll still watch how the projects develop out of morbid train wreck curiosity, and still contribute here, share my views on any news with you all, where no one is likely to be called a "kek lord", whatever that is, but I'm done posting on Penders Twitter. You guys can keep me in check haha :P

yeah, some of ken's followers act immature, as well as some of the other side unfortunately. I do understand what you were wanting to convey regarding the reason why Flynn closed his forums, like if accusing someone of being suss by that action, than wouldn't the same apply to someone else who did the same action (i.e. Ken closing his forum). 

And yeah, some of his tweets are really far out there, but even trying to rationalising with him, he's still not learning about his flaws and, mistakes on twitter.

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Yeah, I get you, Tenko.  I was keeping an eye on that ridiculous Twitter thread, and I don't know how you held out.  No one could blame you for hopping out of it all after all that.  Much respect for keeping it together for as long as you did.

And, hey, at least you finally got Ken to respond to the whole Paul Agnew TLSC thing in the end.  Even though, well...

Hide contents

...his response was to call Paul delusional.  I don't know why I'm surprised, but it should be pretty obvious why I'm disgusted.

Ugh.

You know, even if Ken choosing the same title that Paul had been publicly using for years (which Ken was handed multiple opportunities to hear about) really was just a big coincidence, what you don't do is insult him and dismiss his feelings as not worthy of giving a second thought to like Ken did, especially when Paul was given some pretty strong reasons to believe it was copied.  It really wouldn't have taken much to just say he understands why Paul feels that way, even if he still insisted it was a coincidence.  How hard is it to just show normal empathy?

Paul, I'm really sorry.  Just like Tenko said, no one deserves to be treated like this.

I'm sorry for Paul too. I know that it is small thing regarding the name , like he could have just chatted with Paul, or say a thank you to him, or even "with thanks to my number one fan"

I think, if i recalled correctly didn't Paul do a fan-story with that title as well as the name. And i definately wouldn't call it a diatribe, I think he talked in a reasonable manner, no swear words at all. he was clear to the point. I think Ken does constant mini-diatribes tho. And also: "didn't have the skill set he required- I also heard that Paul was involved in a Phantom comic" (well done to him!). Ken could definitely have worded it a bit better and being less of a giant ass, than calling him delusional. 

So much for caring about his fans if he brushed it off (even unintentionally).

Don't let that get you down, Paul, you are way better off than Ken in terms of talent, working, and even as a good person anyway.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, horridus said:

... there are a variety of words I could use right now to convey my feelings about this turn of events and how I personally regard Penders as a person for this. Vulgar things. Things that would result in me being banned and this thread being locked once and for all. So I'm not going to use any of those words, fitting as they are for this situation and for Penders himself. 

I will say though that I know this much- a fan who defends someone for years upon years even when doing so makes them unpopular, even when the virtual entirety of the fandom is beginning to pillory that someone for their actions and still manages to stick by, doesn't abandon them without a very good reason, and it does not reflect well at all on Penders that at no point in this discussion does he demonstrate any kind of guilt, or shame, nor any attempt to clear the air or reconcile or make any kind of worthwhile defense of his actions. Instead, everything is Agnew's fault in some manner or the next, and Ken is simply a victim of circumstance and misunderstanding. 

Indeed, this story all sounds rather familiar- there are some rather eerie shades of the Ben Hurst incident and Ken's own response to that too. The claim that Hurst was misinformed and misremembering things. The claims that he was in no way responsible for what happened. The insults directed Hurst's way. Yes, this is all very familiar ground. This same repulsive, disgusting, manipulative behavior, the abject refusal to accept responsibility or culpability, the shifting of the blame.... years and years later, and he is repeating all the same steps he did way back when. 

Truly, skunks do not change their stripes. 

I feel just awful for Agnew now. No fan should have to receive this kind of treatment from someone they admired, and no 'professional' should stoop to this kind of behavior. Then again, Penders isn't a professional in any meaningful sense of the word... but a little basic humanity being beyond him is still astounding. 

beleive me, some of the things i can think of regarding Penders, would be the same, even more earlier than that tho.

6 hours ago, horridus said:

even casually thought of killing off Rotor and Antoine due to not having any idea of what to do with them. 

Really now? I mean Rotor is one thing, but the latter is particularly odd because he was the Freedom Fighter Penders put the most effort and work into as an individual.

• Nice Smile 1

I think Ken is just in denial over how much he has alienated the fans over the stunts he's pulled and is trying to stay relevant by posting whatever he can regarding IDW.    If anyone challenges him, he quickly disregards them as if they don't know what they're talking about.  I'm just glad we have the IDW series now and we don't have to worry about lawsuits taking away characters from us.   I used to love the Knuckles series because it was an interesting change of pace and I got into the lore that Ken made, but all this drama has really soured that for me and I'm glad there are different people on the comics now.   

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Yeah, this is basically a sad man's final desperate attempt to do something... the fact that he seemingly would rather spend his time ranting on Twitter than, you know, actually working on his comic says a lot. Let's see here... doing a fruitless quick search and an equally fruitless visit to Ken's Twitter, the most early thing I can find on when he started working on this rubbish is 2013. It's now 2018 and there's barley anything to talk about, at least from what he's shown. 5+ years, Ken. At the pace he's going, we're going to see Half Life 3 release before this comes out.

Spoiler

And we all know that Half Life 3 is dead in the water...

• Promotion 1

I mean, even Mobian is a banned term now. Not only do they not seem to care about that old Archie stuff, they seem to want to distance themselves from it as much as possible. 

I can't really blame them. 

Maybe Ken can't comprehend this because the concept of "moving on" is so nebulus to him. Or something. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

14 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

I think Ken is just in denial over how much he has alienated the fans over the stunts he's pulled and is trying to stay relevant by posting whatever he can regarding IDW.    If anyone challenges him, he quickly disregards them as if they don't know what they're talking about.  I'm just glad we have the IDW series now and we don't have to worry about lawsuits taking away characters from us.   I used to love the Knuckles series because it was an interesting change of pace and I got into the lore that Ken made, but all this drama has really soured that for me and I'm glad there are different people on the comics now.   

I suppose denial is the safest place for him to be at this point given that if he acknowledges the fact that neither SEGA nor IDW is likely to publish Pre-Reboot works, then that means his entire career at Archie is a waste and of no value to anyone anymore if it can be cast aside without issue like that. It'd be sad if it wasn't his own damn fault. 

13 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Yeah, this is basically a sad man's final desperate attempt to do something... the fact that he seemingly would rather spend his time ranting on Twitter than, you know, actually working on his comic says a lot. Let's see here... doing a fruitless quick search and an equally fruitless visit to Ken's Twitter, the most early thing I can find on when he started working on this rubbish is 2013. It's now 2018 and there's barley anything to talk about, at least from what he's shown. 5+ years, Ken. At the pace he's going, we're going to see Half Life 3 release before this comes out.

Reveal hidden contents

And we all know that Half Life 3 is dead in the water...

Six years, actually. He announced this misbegotten project of his on the tail end of December 2011, and even boasted of how this was 'Coming Soon in 2012!'. Since that time there have been several false starts, and given his track record his claim that the App is gonna come out this month isn't looking all that credible. At this stage of things it seems he is more invested in maintaining the appearance of getting things done than actually accomplishing anything meaningful towards that end. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, even Mobian is a banned term now. Not only do they not seem to care about that old Archie stuff, they seem to want to distance themselves from it as much as possible. 

I can't really blame them. 

Maybe Ken can't comprehend this because the concept of "moving on" is so nebulus to him. Or something. 

"Mobian" has nothing to do with Penders, and I'm fairly certain that even if this lawsuit thing had never happened SEGA would have pushed for its discontinuence anyway. They've already estanblished they don't want a name for Sonic's planet, and even something like 'Mobian' is too much for their tastes. 

Granted, I don't think the Penders thing HELPED this any, just that they already seemed fairly deadset on expunging stuff from the early Western/Spinoff Media Canon even before this nonsense started up, and sooner or later it would happen regardless of what Penders did or didn't do. 

13 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

What’s sad is that even the bland parts of Penders’ work on Archie would have been remembered on much better terms if his ego didn’t get the better of him. Whether people would still find them good is debatable.

Hell, he himself would have had a much better light with fans today were it not for that. I doubt he’d have a better name than Ian does, but he certainly wouldn’t have any vitriol to his name at the very least. Would arguably (and I emphasize the word “arguably”) land him a shot back on IDW when I look at all that’s happened in the past...decade?! Holy fuck this has been going on longer than I remember!

The sadder part is that the perception of the value of his past works really was entirely dependent on the fandom's perception of him. Comics is filled with writers who eventually fell victim to their own egos, but the difference is that many of them at least have something that showcases them at their best and gives insight into why they were popular to begin with. John Byrne is the poster child for this phenomena, but you can look back upon his older works before he lost his mind and at least say 'Yes, this is good, I can see why this was and is still highly regarded'. 

Penders by contrast... is not very good at this, and his success was tied entirely into being a part of the Sonic franchise. At the peak of his abilities he was an adequate writer at best, but in the end his work is riddled with flaws that only grow worse over time, and his personal 'Opuses' such as Endgame and the Knuckles books are just flat out terrible. He was entirely dependent on the good will of the fandom, and now? He's singlehandedly obliterated whatever traces of that existed. It's self-sabotage unlike anything ever seen. 

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, horridus said:

"Mobian" has nothing to do with Penders, and I'm fairly certain that even if this lawsuit thing had never happened SEGA would have pushed for its discontinuence anyway. They've already estanblished they don't want a name for Sonic's planet, and even something like 'Mobian' is too much for their tastes. 

Granted, I don't think the Penders thing HELPED this any, just that they already seemed fairly deadset on expunging stuff from the early Western/Spinoff Media Canon even before this nonsense started up, and sooner or later it would happen regardless of what Penders did or didn't do. 

The point I was making is that they're distancing themselves from the old continuity and I used that as an example as to how they're doing it. Meaning, Penders is wrong to assume SEGA wishes to do what he claims they are because of how evident it is that they desire to do the opposite.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, horridus said:

I suppose denial is the safest place for him to be at this point given that if he acknowledges the fact that neither SEGA nor IDW is likely to publish Pre-Reboot works, then that means his entire career at Archie is a waste and of no value to anyone anymore if it can be cast aside without issue like that. It'd be sad if it wasn't his own damn fault. 

Six years, actually. He announced this misbegotten project of his on the tail end of December 2011, and even boasted of how this was 'Coming Soon in 2012!'. Since that time there have been several false starts, and given his track record his claim that the App is gonna come out this month isn't looking all that credible. At this stage of things it seems he is more invested in maintaining the appearance of getting things done than actually accomplishing anything meaningful towards that end. 

The sadder part is that the perception of the value of his past works really was entirely dependent on the fandom's perception of him. Comics is filled with writers who eventually fell victim to their own egos, but the difference is that many of them at least have something that showcases them at their best and gives insight into why they were popular to begin with. John Byrne is the poster child for this phenomena, but you can look back upon his older works before he lost his mind and at least say 'Yes, this is good, I can see why this was and is still highly regarded'. 

Penders by contrast... is not very good at this, and his success was tied entirely into being a part of the Sonic franchise. At the peak of his abilities he was an adequate writer at best, but in the end his work is riddled with flaws that only grow worse over time, and his personal 'Opuses' such as Endgame and the Knuckles books are just flat out terrible. He was entirely dependent on the good will of the fandom, and now? He's singlehandedly obliterated whatever traces of that existed. It's self-sabotage unlike anything ever seen. 

Let's not forget the youth factor-- I still think a lot of us were too young to really know any better. I think as we got older and more experienced, our sense of quality grew, while Penders' quality remained stagnant at best.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The point I was making is that they're distancing themselves from the old continuity and I used that as an example as to how they're doing it. Meaning, Penders is wrong to assume SEGA wishes to do what he claims they are because of how evident it is that they desire to do the opposite.

I think the point before this is that even if none of this stuff with Penders and Archie happened, they'd have probably still pushed back against "Mobius," meaning it's probably not the best example to hang your hat on.

35 minutes ago, Tenko said:

He's such a numpty, seriously. I've said it to him numerous times, it's a LICENCED comic. If Sega doesn't want the old comics reprinted then regardless of money that could be made, or IDW's potential interest in doing it, or how much business sense it makes to the guy with the very biased opinion since he would gain from it, IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Sega makes millions from the games, what the comics make is a drop in the bucket, they wouldn't care about the potential lost revenue from reprints, especially if it was from a comic/reprint that would be advertising and distributing a branch of the franchise that they see as no longer cannon or full of terms, characters and information that is no longer wanted/correct or marketable for their vision moving forward. Even if IDW was interested in a take from reprints and believed they could market it or make bank from it, they can't do it if Sega doesn't give them the green light. As they are playing with someone else's toys, something he has never understood at all.

Ugh so badly want to tweet...but won't. I'll be good. 

I have no idea what a "numpty" is, but it sure fits.

3 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I think the point before this is that even if none of this stuff with Penders and Archie happened, they'd have probably still pushed back against "Mobius," meaning it's probably not the best example to hang your hat on.

What? No. It's fine. It doesn't change what I was saying at all. In fact, if they were planning on doing this anyway than it just enhances the point I was making. They don't care about this and they don't want anything to do with this and Penders thinking they do is wrong because there's a lot out there that enforces how obvious it is that they don't. 

Is what I'm saying really that hard to understand? Seriously? I don't want to sound mean of course.

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Let's not forget the youth factor-- I still think a lot of us were too young to really know any better. I think as we got older and more experienced, our sense of quality grew, while Penders' quality remained stagnant at best.

Definitely the case for me- I'd buy anything with Sonic on it, and I was easily, EASILY fooled into thinking I was reading good stuff simply because it was Sonic. Less so as I got older, but it was only thanks to the lawsuit and being introduced to Penders' behavior on his twitter and forums that I was able to break past my past affection and see his writing and more importantly, the INTENT behind his writing, for what it was. 

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

He's such a numpty, seriously. I've said it to him numerous times, it's a LICENCED comic. If Sega doesn't want the old comics reprinted then regardless of money that could be made, or IDW's potential interest in doing it, or how much business sense it makes to the guy with the very biased opinion since he would gain from it, IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Sega makes millions from the games, what the comics make is a drop in the bucket, they wouldn't care about the potential lost revenue from reprints, especially if it was from a comic/reprint that would be advertising and distributing a branch of the franchise that they see as no longer cannon or full of terms, characters and information that is no longer wanted/correct or marketable for their vision moving forward. Even if IDW was interested in a take from reprints and believed they could market it or make bank from it, they can't do it if Sega doesn't give them the green light. As they are playing with someone else's toys, something he has never understood at all.

Ugh so badly want to tweet...but won't. I'll be good. 

Heh, more power to you.  Resist the temptation!

Aaand yeah, Penders has this.... really, really weird mental block when it comes to Sonic as game franchise. It's like he doesn't really process the fact that first and foremost, Sonic is a video game star- one blessed with numerous animated adaptations and long running comics, one of which was the 2nd longest licensed book in the world. No other video game on Earth can boast the same... but at the end of the day, the video games are the wellspring from which everything else flows. Except Penders seems to have an extreme amount of difficulty grasping this fact- even back in the old days the comic tying into the games or being a means of promoting them (and the show that aired at the time) seemed more like an afterthought to him. Look at Sonic Live, where he couldn't be bothered to name even basic details about SEGA or the fact that they're a Japanese company. 

It's like he can only process Sonic through the lens of a comic book. Whenever he measures Sonic's success, he does so in comparison to OTHER comics rather than as a video game star, and despite the years he spent on one end of the franchise demonstrates an absolutely pitiful understanding of Sonic's precise status as a video game franchise, once drastically underestimating the number of games Sonic has had over the years. 

I'm not sure how or why this is the case, but its bizarre all the same. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Naturally, only Ken could somehow take this already absurd line of logic and make it even more nonsensical.  Apparently, by the word of Ken, reprinting the pre-reboot is a no-brainer because money, but reprinting the post-reboot is something we shouldn't count on happening because of secret reasons.  What.

Somehow, I get the feeling this supposed reason is his dumb "oh I own post-reboot Eggman btw" argument.  Even though that same stupid argument can also be used for the pre-reboot reprints that he already insists IDW wants to do.  That, or even he knows his argument has no merit, so he just threw out a fill-in-the-blank to avoid giving actual reasoning to back himself up.

...Why am I even surprised by any of this?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Sometimes I wonder if even he believes so much of what he says, or if he's just saying it to stir things up in a desperate bid to remain relevant.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Way Past Cool 1