Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Ah, perhaps we'd be better off not mentioning any of Penders' particular fanboys or discussing them. This really isn't the the place for that. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

Fair enough point, was just wondering if it was who I was thinking it was. Don't mean no animosity towards the guy, everyone is of course allowed to have their opinions, as I said, I hope he gets what he's after with Penders work. Everyone deserves a little of something they enjoy right :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't followed Penders shenanigans in a while. However, one thing I feel like comenting is his art... or better said, his choice of aesthetics.

The guy seems to have some skill with drawing, and while it goes without question that his choice of colors (or how he applies them) is awful, what has always cought my attention the most is how he seems to be unable to realize how his anthro character designs are very awful to watch. I dunno... It's kind of like how a person that can't feel any pain would not be able to realize that they are injuring themselves. Maybe a similar thing happens with how Penders is unable to see that his designs lack the charm that would make them be more pleasant to watch by others. After all, charm can even make "ugly" characters look good.

Ken on the other hand seems to have the inverse equivalent of the touch of Midas when it comes to drawing art: only he can make a Cocker Spaniel look ugly, and that's the kind of thing that makes me die inside a bit since I love Cockers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Fair enough point, was just wondering if it was who I was thinking it was. Don't mean no animosity towards the guy, everyone is of course allowed to have their opinions, as I said, I hope he gets what he's after with Penders work. Everyone deserves a little of something they enjoy right :)

Depends on what some people enjoy, but I get you.

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Haven't followed Penders shenanigans in a while. However, one thing I feel like comenting is his art... or better said, his choice of aesthetics.

The guy seems to have some skill with drawing, and while it goes without question that his choice of colors (or how he applies them) is awful, what has always cought my attention the most is how he seems to be unable to realize how his anthro character designs are very awful to watch. I dunno... It's kind of like how a person that can't feel any pain would not be able to realize that they are injuring themselves. Maybe a similar thing happens with how Penders is unable to see that his designs lack the charm that would make them be more pleasant to watch by others. After all, charm can even make "ugly" characters look good.

Ken on the other hand seems to have the inverse equivalent of the touch of Midas when it comes to drawing art: only he can make a Cocker Spaniel look ugly, and that's the kind of thing that makes me die inside a bit since I love Cockers.

There's a scientific name for it- the Dunning-Kruger effect.  

I think part of his problems stem from him being spoiled by the environment at Archie- he was basically able to coast for years and soak up the praise of ten year olds without ever actually having to improve himself, and he allowed himself to become pigeonholed. He can only really draw realistic humanoids or the cartoony style he used on the book proper, and the problem here? Is that he's attempting to move out of his stylistic comfort zone in order to visually distance his work from Sonic, but since he hasn't honed himself over the course of his career, he can only create an incredibly ugly, half-way point between cartoony anthro and realism, with disastrous effects. Similarly, he insists on doing things digitally even though he's a lot better at traditional inking and shading methods. 

• Thumbs Up 3

After that nightmare fuel Sonic commission he did at that con, it's doubtful if even the sometimes passable skills he had drawing the Sonic cast have survived since he left the comic to be honest.

23 minutes ago, Tenko said:

After that nightmare fuel Sonic commission he did at that con, it's doubtful if even the sometimes passable skills he had drawing the Sonic cast have survived since he left the comic to be honest.

Funny thing is, not all THAT long before that disaster of a picture, he drew an okay enough picture of Remington. Penders claims that the reason it looked so off was because he was trying to 'depict Sonic as a real creature', which sounds ludicrous, until you consider that he probably meant 'real' in the same way those awful Live Action Smurfs films had 'real' smurfs. Less 'realistic' and more 'forcibly giving the cartoons pores'. 

...that said though yeah, his skills have indeed managed to deteriorate considerably. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Tenko said:

I'm, does get grating after the umpteenth time. 

I say your entry there, so i will just say this is regarding the general amount of ian flynn detractors, most, thought not entirely all usually go way out there instead of making a rational and honest debate,  like these over-assumptions of conspiracy theories and usual retorts and finding ways to blame Ian. one of the major reasons being about the Freedom Fighters being the be- all end all. I liked the Freedom Fighters too , but seriously? the worst were the conspiracy theories about how the pages were rip-off of the previous comics (and to put my ndigressing back to tghe star of the show, iI can see the irony of that)

8 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Actually, i agree with that anology too, like a run-away truck, not even being aware of blowing away walls and still keeps on going regardless

Edited by Sidronas
did not mention any names
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, horridus said:

There's a scientific name for it- the Dunning-Kruger effect.  

I think part of his problems stem from him being spoiled by the environment at Archie- he was basically able to coast for years and soak up the praise of ten year olds without ever actually having to improve himself, and he allowed himself to become pigeonholed. He can only really draw realistic humanoids or the cartoony style he used on the book proper, and the problem here? Is that he's attempting to move out of his stylistic comfort zone in order to visually distance his work from Sonic, but since he hasn't honed himself over the course of his career, he can only create an incredibly ugly, half-way point between cartoony anthro and realism, with disastrous effects. Similarly, he insists on doing things digitally even though he's a lot better at traditional inking and shading methods. 

You know, this makes me wonder how different things would be if the editors were more strict with the quality of art accepted for the comics and Penders wasn't so babied?

On 5/3/2018 at 8:33 PM, RedFox99 said:

You know, this makes me wonder how different things would be if the editors were more strict with the quality of art accepted for the comics and Penders wasn't so babied?

we most likely would not have got that awful Sonic Live

On 5/3/2018 at 6:33 AM, RedFox99 said:

There would be a lot less shitty looking comics

He's posted a new tweet with some artwork of Lara-Su..you know..if you have ever wondered if these "aliens" wear undergarments in their society..even the underage ones..

They don't.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 2

Yes, Mr Penders the story telling aspect... of being able to see teen girl bum crack... truly a gripping tale to be had.

• Thumbs Up 2

and also, he made a tweet that linked to his facebook, one of the few times he has ever publically spoke on it, at first he was talking about politics and then he shifted it to his court case.

While that may be possible, anything else connected with the Archie SONIC series isn't and I explain why here: https://www.facebook.com/kpenders/posts/10209192250803521 

At least this art is terrible for different reasons then usual. Christ. Nothing of interest here, honestly. 

I was looking through Ken's twitter, and a found this link to a Long facebook post by him.                                                                                                                                                               

EDIT: Sidronas Espio'd me, and my link was fuckin' broken anyway

He goes on about Trump, then about the Archie lawsuit. I think he overvalues his IP, (greatly!), and this seems to imply that he thinks a payout is coming, but that's nothing new, unfortunately. I'm wondering though, looking at this, did they offer to buy his IP off of him, but they simply didn't offer him enough money? I vaguely remember something from years ago where somebody asked him how much money he thought it was worth, and he didn't give a precise answer. I seems to remember a vague answer of "a lot".

I wonder, if Archie and/or Sega were waiting for him to start publishing TLSC, so they could threaten him with a lawsuit of some sort, and buyout his stuff cheaply, while Ken never really planned to do anything with TLSC, and just wanted to prod Archie/Sega into a big buyout faster? That would explain why nothing has happened in the past 5 years!

Alternatively, I wonder if Sega of Japan saw the Ken's victory as an excuse to eject western material they hated and used Ken as an easy scapegoat for the heat? SOJ really seems to hate "Mobius" related stuff for whatever reason, from the looks of things. It's a stupid and malicious plan, but it's not like they gave a crap about anybody involved with Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog... or anything, given the state of the franchise. LOL. Seems like it worked perfectly, if that's what they were trying to accomplish. I really hope this one isn't it.

Maybe Sega and Archie were just scared off by "some dude in Los Angeles?" It's not like the why matters anymore, this situation is an absolute disaster for everyone involved.

Shit, I've been listening to the Deus Ex soundtrack while typing this. I can feel more conspiracies forming right now!!!

6 hours ago, MightyRay said:

Yes, Mr Penders the story telling aspect... of being able to see teen girl bum crack... truly a gripping tale to be had.

I didn't notice that until you pointed that out. A teenage girl's butt is not something I really focus on when looking at artwork, even back when I was a teenager.

But now I can't unsee it, and I'm questioning why Penders would bother adding that when Lara-Su is, y'know, a fucking minor. And considering that Penders is a lazy artist at heart, well, underwear would probably be easier to draw anyway. And sex clearly isn't selling because every time he portrays Lara-Su in this manner, a portion of whatever's left of his fandom seems to die.

So... why?

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

He's posted a new tweet with some artwork of Lara-Su..you know..if you have ever wondered if these "aliens" wear undergarments in their society..even the underage ones..

They don't.

Tbf, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything and even then, there is another curving line under the tail that could very well be a thong or whatever. 

Probably because her hips are oddly small in this, as far as I remember.

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

They don't.

Thanks, Ken. Teenaged alien butt crack was something I really needed in my life. 

And to be blunt Ken, by adding in that unneeded little detail you've pretty much ruined the reason for the moment to begin with. Because people are going to notice, first and foremost, that your main character goes around sans anything under that ludicrous outfit. Their attention isn't going to be on the scene, its going to be on her goddamned ass. There's no reason for it to be there other than you wanting it to be so. You could easily have configured that dress so that it would show nothing, yet you chose to show it all the same. Even now I can hear how he's going to scream 'ALIEN CULTURE' to justify it.

You know, its rather depressing really. Penders has insisted up and down that this is his 'true vision'. The character debuted as a 16 year old. His 'true vision' of the character evidently emphasizes putting her in highly sexualized outfits. A teenager. The Great Feminist always wanted to write about a scantily clad teenager. I am aware that she went pantless in Sonic, but then she was never drawn with detailed, realistic ass crack now was she? 

On a lesser note.... god her head is a mess, and what in the hell is that foot even? 

6 hours ago, Sidronas said:

and also, he made a tweet that linked to his facebook, one of the few times he has ever publically spoke on it, at first he was talking about politics and then he shifted it to his court case.

While that may be possible, anything else connected with the Archie SONIC series isn't and I explain why here: https://www.facebook.com/kpenders/posts/10209192250803521 

Yes, Ken, your trial totally aligns to the Mueller/Trump thing. Just like it totally aligns with that unfortunate Jewish woman who sued the Austrian government for her family heirloom after she had to flee her home to avoid being murdered by Nazis, rebuilding her entire life in a new country while losing everything. Just like it also totally aligns with what Jack Kirby went through. Truly, your case is just so staggeringly important and the stakes just so goddamn high, it crosses over with any number of things. 

I just find it astounding that throughout that entire rant, he doesn't even begin to entertain the notion that the simplest answer for everything is that SEGA is just flat out not concerned. THEY are the ones who wanted nothing to do with the trial and repeatedly made that clear. Archie did everything in its power to keep SEGA out at SEGA's own request. I'm not exactly surprised that Penders is so hellbent on not facing the reality that SEGA is disinterested in having anything to do with his work, but its still galling all the same that he'd be willing to ignore that key context in favor of his own narrative. I mean holy shit, he's STILL going on about how his stuff would be 'perfect' for a movie even though they're already moving forward with their own movie without anything from him. He just refuses to grasp that SEGA's priorities were never about including shit from what they sawa as a glorified advertisement for their games, which has always been the real moneymaker and reason for the company's existence. 

And just a reminder folks- during that trial, Penders honestly tried to use the lawsuit as leverage to finally get his Knuckles movie made. 

tumblr_inline_okknmdwzCr1re1bwb_500.png

Yep. That's right. The Master Negotiator here thought they'd honestly be cool with that. 

Let that sink in as you read everything else he's written up there, and remind yourself that this man's relationship with reality and expectations from it are tennuous at the best of times. 

• Thumbs Up 7

13 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

What was the plot outline for Sonic Armageddon again?

A proper outline was never given, so the plot points can only be gleaned from the concept art and that awful, awful pitch video he made.

tumblr_mwtjbxyLNf1rzxhn7o1_1280.jpg

Between the art and the name of the film though, its pretty clear that Mobius blowing up was gonna be a major plot point for this trainwreck. Cause you know, THAT'S what we all wanted to see from a Sonic movie. And yet according to Penders, this would have been the axis upon which the franchise would spin, if those FOOLS had only LISTENED to him. 

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Tenko said:

They don't.

Lol, I can imagine what Penders' dilemma must have been like: either draw the character with a full dress, at the expense of making the tail look like a very long turd sticking out of it or, in a very Penders-like move, draw her butt-crack while being completely oblivious that this was going to be the very first thing people would notice.

45 minutes ago, horridus said:

A proper outline was never given, so the plot points can only be gleaned from the concept art and that awful, awful pitch video he made.

Between the art and the name of the film though, its pretty clear that Mobius blowing up was gonna be a major plot point for this trainwreck. Cause you know, THAT'S what we all wanted to see from a Sonic movie. And yet according to Penders, this would have been the axis upon which the franchise would spin, if those FOOLS had only LISTENED to him. 

I was thinking more along the lines of “What is the actual plot”.

Mobius blows up. Is that it?

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I was thinking more along the lines of “What is the actual plot”.

Mobius blows up. Is that it?

*SHRUGS* Like I said, Penders never provided any in depth look as to where this was all going. Judging by his statements and the fact that the pitch opens up with Sonic as a kid with Chuck, and EVIDENTLY Robotnik was meant to come stumbling in, I can only presume that at least part of this was going to be an 'origins' thing covering Robotnik's takeover and so forth.... before eventually leading to the whole 'Earth Shattering Kaboom' thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, horridus said:

Still would like to read the script. No matter how bad it might be.