Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

4 hours ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

board_by_robotnikholmes-dcbnmq4.png

Lol, sure Ken. Its not your fault that your pages are unappealing. Obviously its the readers who are wrong. (!)

In fairness, he never said they weren't unappealing, just that he worked hard to make them so.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

It's not hard to use google image for backgrounds!

As someone who draws a lot, I'm always tempted to use backgrounds because it's SO EASY, but instead I try to actually draw the background and spend 1 more hour on the drawing!

I've asked this before, but where will Ken Penders go if The Lara-Su Chronicles were to fail? Does he currently have other work? Either way, I tweeted him this, and he is yet to answer:

• Fist Bump 1

Fella, it might be best for you to wait until AFTER you get an answer before deciding to post tweets in here- we don't really need to know about you asking Penders anything given that merely ASKING him a question isn't really all that relevant to the thread at hand. 

As to your question, he is a freelancer and has mentioned doing small bits of work here and there. It is suspected that his common-law wife is the primary moneymaker in the relationship though, given that he lives a fairly comfortable life despite the vagueries surrounding his actual work, though again, that is speculation. Frankly though I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this- I  mean granted, I could wind up surprised, but others have asked him this question and similar questions (such as what he plans to do if IDW never reprints his work at Archie). His response has generally been to not acknowledge failure as a possibility. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

On 5/15/2018 at 12:15 AM, Skull Leader said:

That body can't possibly be that of a teenager, lol.

I think the only aspect I kind of like about the design is the visor thing she wears, since it sort of reminds me something from Gainax, minus the charming designs of their characters.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever tried to draw Lara-Su, or at least interpret the design in something more on my style, so I decided to make a quick sketch just for fun:

14sz312.jpg

You're so right about the body, gawd knows what was gonig on with me

your design is lovely, I especially like the Julie-Su-esque boots

On topic: Penders' overconfidence is worrying, it's like failure is so unlikely he hasn't even considered it, like it hasn't gone 'this might fail? Nah it won't' he's just go straight to 'this will succeed'.

• Promotion 1

6 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

@horridus Thanks for that info there. Also, he just answered my question:

“I’m going to passive-aggressively shove words into your mouth that you never said to make a strawman also check out my film that hasn’t happened and looks like low-budget crap”

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Promotion 1

11 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Well, at least he's being frugal/pragmatic about it.

What is THE REPUBLIC, though?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well, at least he's being frugal/pragmatic about it.

What is THE REPUBLIC, though?

THE REPUBLIC is Ken's little Tv series about a dystopian America where the government controls everything. Privacy, media, schools, you name it. Thing is, its Kens usual work.

I love posting Ken's videos, they make George Lucas's screen transitions seem subtle and Tommy Wiseau's writing sound oscar worthy.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

“This is why I have to deal with a lot of the crap that I do, because people commenting on things in a negative light.

Translation: “Stop talking about bad things in a way that makes them sound bad.”

What makes it even more shocking is that Nintendude was one Penders' more loyal fans.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Aand like clockwork, there it is. Your first mistake was suggesting, even in the most benign of ways, that this might not work out. Others have done this before you, and others probably will continue afterwards. 

I should also point out that this wishy-washy 'measure of success' claptrap is pretty false- Penders in the past has gone on at length about his expectations for this book to spawn a new, profitable franchise, even talking about the potential for it to be made into a film. Heck, recently he even hinted that he expects this to be financially viable to the point where he will be able to hire on others to do the art and inking and the like. He's made it abundantly clear that he has VERY high hopes for this. 

49 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

THE REPUBLIC is Ken's little Tv series about a dystopian America where the government controls everything. Privacy, media, schools, you name it. Thing is, its Kens usual work.

I love posting Ken's videos, they make George Lucas's screen transitions seem subtle and Tommy Wiseau's writing sound oscar worthy.

It's at times been a TV-Movie, a TV show, and a web series. For those of you not in the know, THIS project started way back in the mid 2000s, a direct result of the Bush Administration. His idea of critique. Sufficed to say it never manifested, and he only brings it up again because of Trump's presidency, only now he is having it redone so that Trump is flat out the villain instead of a nebulous stand-in for the Bush Administration. 

He occasionally pipes up about it, but his track record is dismal. 

Though hey- he pays more attention to it than his OTHER other film project.

Once he was confronted over the truly awful special effects utilized in this film. He justified it by claiming the techniques were the same as those used in hollywood movies, ignoring the criticism about the quality of the work itself. 

• Thumbs Up 4

49 minutes ago, horridus said:

Aand like clockwork, there it is. Your first mistake was suggesting, even in the most benign of ways, that this might not work out. Others have done this before you, and others probably will continue afterwards. 

I disagree.

First mistake was choosing to engage with Penders in the first place. That he seems to have only gotten more curmudgeonly with time doesn't help matters.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Jesus. Everything this man says and does legitimately makes me want to see him fail.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Double post sorry  but just wanted to share this. https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/997321185783201792

I don't think I was even being rude to him here. 

You know, when I started reading Ken's response there, I actually thought for a second that the first part about misunderstanding nuance on the internet was going to be in regards to himself, and that he was about to mildly apologize for misunderstanding what Nitro was trying to say.  Then I read the rest of the tweet and just...oh.

I don't know why I expected any better out of Ken.  Even a simple, obvious "I misunderstood what he meant" was too much for him, apparently.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gonna echo the SenEDDtor here- you dared to clarify a faulty point in his game plan to him. To a man like Penders, ANY criticsm, ANY attempt to find a fault in his work or logic, ANYthing that isn't %100 praise? That's a mark against you. 

His whining about social media not being the place for nuance is however correct- Twitter is NOT a good place to have a discussion, given its limitations. Its a real shame that there isn't, oh, a place where he and others can have in-depth conversations about various subjects. A kind of online forum wherein he could at last make himself PERFECTLY understood. Yes, a real SHAME that such a place is COMPLETELY fictional. 

....for those of you not in the know, his website and forum went down a while back and shows no signs of coming back anytime soon, and even before then he had long abandoned his forum in favor of twitter. Him complaining about the format is a complete farce given that he willingly jumped ship rather than deal with the in-depth critcism and debate on said forum. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm so glad that this project looks like the south end of a northbound skunk, because I definitely wouldn't want to support a guy like this.

On 14/05/2018 at 8:54 AM, horridus said:

Huzzah. Seven years, and we finally have the first page of the actual story, rather than putzing around with Captain Rocket Crotch and Double-O-Stinkbomb. A sappy, poorly colored, lazily concocted page that uses photographed backgrounds and amateurish shading. But hey, at least we now know what Lara's butt tattoo looks like, and like I said, its the first ACTUAL page to feature her after years of St. John and Taelor. 

I've long stopped trying to actively follow this charade, but this is the thing that gets me, honestly. Like, even putting aside the bizarrely subpar quality of the work itself.

It's been nearing eight years since this whole nonsense started, yet Penders is only now publishing the first page of his comic after all this time? Any (web)comic creator/artist/writer/whathaveyou worth their salt would had pushed out multiple entire issues or hundreds of pages in the same amount of time. People with even a quasi-consistent work ethic would have published double-digit pages of their (web)comic by this point. Meanwhile, it looks very likely Penders won't even have just one issue completed over the course of an entire decade.

It's things like this that keep me convinced that this guy isn't anywhere near remotely serious with making this comic, and this is just an elaborate troll on his part; just to thumb his nose at Archie/Sega for "winning" the rights to his characters back. The only other reason I can think of is that his priorities and attitude towards developing his comic are being heavily skewed by a hilariously massive ego, which TBH doesn't seem entirely out of the question. Or maybe it's some magical combination of both. I just don't even know with this guy. 

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

It's things like this that keep me convinced that this guy isn't anywhere near remotely serious with making this comic, and this is just an elaborate troll on his part; just to thumb his nose at Archie/Sega for "winning" the rights to his characters back. The only other reason I can think of is that his priorities and attitude towards developing his comic are being heavily skewed by a hilariously massive ego, which TBH doesn't seem entirely out of the question. Or maybe it's some magical combination of both. I just don't even know with this guy. 

The time it's taken him to do anything of note with this project is doubly ironic, given that he's actually disparaged webcomic creators and claimed that he could do a webcomic 'in his sleep' despite demonstrably lacking any ability to match or even approach the output of the average webcomic creator. 

You're not the first to suspect that this is all some kind of elaborate scam on his part. I myself find it viable to consider that he doesn't ACTUALLY want to finish this and is only engaging in all of this as a means of holding onto the copyright or whatever of his characters, much like how Fox would fart out Fantastic Four films in order to keep their hands on the movie rights for the characters. 

If Penders is indeed not serious about this, then his dedication to maintaining the illusion is absolutely staggering. He's shelled out money to have translations done for comic pages, made and advertised tie-in products with the intent to sell them on his ebay, and not once has he ever let up on his insistence that this going to be A Thing and that he has Big Plans for his project. While I don't dispute it as impossible, that's a frankly absurd amount of attention to pay on an elaborate prank. 

Frankly, I think it more likely that Penders lacks the work ethic to get anywhere with this, and is too willing to delude himself into thinking he can multitask and tackle multiple projects- he is also working on 'The Republic' as well, and has been 2016, with little or nothing to show for THAT either. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Frankly, I think it more likely that Penders lacks the work ethic to get anywhere with this, and is too willing to delude himself into thinking he can multitask and tackle multiple projects- he is also working on 'The Republic' as well, and has been 2016, with little or nothing to show for THAT either.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an element of stalling as well. Let’s face it; outside of the Sonic fandom and those who have any knowledge of Archie, how many people really give a damn about Kenders? Whatever work he did in the past has been flushed down the drain, the man’s burned almost as many bridges as Trump in New York, goodwill for him is at rock bottom due to his part in removing many characters people were fans of, and he frankly has no real backup plan if his stuff goes belly up.

Kenders is basically irrelevant, and I think he knows it even if he’d never admit it. Plus even if by some miracle he gets his act together, he still can’t win because his work is inherently tied to a continuity that not only technically doesn’t exist any more (thus confusing any newcomers), but still has a ton of characters that if he tries to make use of (and let’s face it, he’d certainly try to be sneaky about it), he’d just be putting himself straight into the line of fire of SEGA and probably Archie’s law groups for copyright infringement. The only way he’d ever get Lara anywhere would be to release it all for free, and that’s not gonna fly for his money grubbing ways.

So yeah, he can’t put it out without risking copyright infringement if he tries to monetize, and yet he can’t do nothing otherwise he falls into complete obscurity. And let’s face it; the latter would be too much to bear for him.

or he’s deluded enough to think that SEGA forgot about the whole mess and they’ll eventually get around to giving him more character rights for Sonic so he can sell his fancomic.

• Thumbs Up 5