Spin Attaxx

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

39 minutes ago, Tenko said:

This tweet has me wondering..

What does he mean by "I don't see myself doing anything beyond the writing at a certain point.

Does he think this will take off so amazingly well that he will be able to pay other artists to imitate his "style" and illustrate future issues for him? Or that he's just going to re-use panels or art in a way that he doesn't have to draw anything again?

I don't understand how he can continue this vision of his, complete all these books he has planned, without illustrating them.

Pretty certain that it means that he presumes the success of this will indeed be great enough that at some point he'll be able to afford to hire artists to draw for him while he just writes. Just another chapter in the saga that is him counting his chickens before they hatch and all. 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah that's what he's talking about and usually there's a flashback explaining how we got here. But we know that isn't what'shappening. We're expectedto know Lara-Su already. This will just go on from Lara on the beach and never delve into the backstory. 

Considering how much he likes to yammer and use exposition for nearly goddamn everything, I'm willing to bet Ken will dedicate a huge chunk of the story to nothing BUT flashbacks and backstory with only tiny bits of actual plot progression.

It's not hard to use google image for backgrounds!

As someone who draws a lot, I'm always tempted to use backgrounds because it's SO EASY, but instead I try to actually draw the background and spend 1 more hour on the drawing!

Fella, it might be best for you to wait until AFTER you get an answer before deciding to post tweets in here- we don't really need to know about you asking Penders anything given that merely ASKING him a question isn't really all that relevant to the thread at hand. 

As to your question, he is a freelancer and has mentioned doing small bits of work here and there. It is suspected that his common-law wife is the primary moneymaker in the relationship though, given that he lives a fairly comfortable life despite the vagueries surrounding his actual work, though again, that is speculation. Frankly though I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this- I  mean granted, I could wind up surprised, but others have asked him this question and similar questions (such as what he plans to do if IDW never reprints his work at Archie). His response has generally been to not acknowledge failure as a possibility. 

On 5/15/2018 at 12:15 AM, Skull Leader said:

That body can't possibly be that of a teenager, lol.

I think the only aspect I kind of like about the design is the visor thing she wears, since it sort of reminds me something from Gainax, minus the charming designs of their characters.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever tried to draw Lara-Su, or at least interpret the design in something more on my style, so I decided to make a quick sketch just for fun:

14sz312.jpg

You're so right about the body, gawd knows what was gonig on with me

your design is lovely, I especially like the Julie-Su-esque boots

On topic: Penders' overconfidence is worrying, it's like failure is so unlikely he hasn't even considered it, like it hasn't gone 'this might fail? Nah it won't' he's just go straight to 'this will succeed'.

6 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

@horridus Thanks for that info there. Also, he just answered my question:

“I’m going to passive-aggressively shove words into your mouth that you never said to make a strawman also check out my film that hasn’t happened and looks like low-budget crap”

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well, at least he's being frugal/pragmatic about it.

What is THE REPUBLIC, though?

THE REPUBLIC is Ken's little Tv series about a dystopian America where the government controls everything. Privacy, media, schools, you name it. Thing is, its Kens usual work.

I love posting Ken's videos, they make George Lucas's screen transitions seem subtle and Tommy Wiseau's writing sound oscar worthy.

9 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

“This is why I have to deal with a lot of the crap that I do, because people commenting on things in a negative light.

Translation: “Stop talking about bad things in a way that makes them sound bad.”

What makes it even more shocking is that Nintendude was one Penders' more loyal fans.

1 hour ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

@horridus Thanks for that info there. Also, he just answered my question:

Aand like clockwork, there it is. Your first mistake was suggesting, even in the most benign of ways, that this might not work out. Others have done this before you, and others probably will continue afterwards. 

I should also point out that this wishy-washy 'measure of success' claptrap is pretty false- Penders in the past has gone on at length about his expectations for this book to spawn a new, profitable franchise, even talking about the potential for it to be made into a film. Heck, recently he even hinted that he expects this to be financially viable to the point where he will be able to hire on others to do the art and inking and the like. He's made it abundantly clear that he has VERY high hopes for this. 

49 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

THE REPUBLIC is Ken's little Tv series about a dystopian America where the government controls everything. Privacy, media, schools, you name it. Thing is, its Kens usual work.

I love posting Ken's videos, they make George Lucas's screen transitions seem subtle and Tommy Wiseau's writing sound oscar worthy.

It's at times been a TV-Movie, a TV show, and a web series. For those of you not in the know, THIS project started way back in the mid 2000s, a direct result of the Bush Administration. His idea of critique. Sufficed to say it never manifested, and he only brings it up again because of Trump's presidency, only now he is having it redone so that Trump is flat out the villain instead of a nebulous stand-in for the Bush Administration. 

He occasionally pipes up about it, but his track record is dismal. 

Though hey- he pays more attention to it than his OTHER other film project.

Once he was confronted over the truly awful special effects utilized in this film. He justified it by claiming the techniques were the same as those used in hollywood movies, ignoring the criticism about the quality of the work itself. 

49 minutes ago, horridus said:

Aand like clockwork, there it is. Your first mistake was suggesting, even in the most benign of ways, that this might not work out. Others have done this before you, and others probably will continue afterwards. 

I disagree.

First mistake was choosing to engage with Penders in the first place. That he seems to have only gotten more curmudgeonly with time doesn't help matters.

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Double post sorry  but just wanted to share this. https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/997321185783201792

I don't think I was even being rude to him here. 

You dared to criticize/note a criticism at him. That's probably equivalent to rudeness/mean-ness to him at this point.

39 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Double post sorry  but just wanted to share this. https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/997321185783201792

I don't think I was even being rude to him here. 

You know, when I started reading Ken's response there, I actually thought for a second that the first part about misunderstanding nuance on the internet was going to be in regards to himself, and that he was about to mildly apologize for misunderstanding what Nitro was trying to say.  Then I read the rest of the tweet and just...oh.

I don't know why I expected any better out of Ken.  Even a simple, obvious "I misunderstood what he meant" was too much for him, apparently.

Gonna echo the SenEDDtor here- you dared to clarify a faulty point in his game plan to him. To a man like Penders, ANY criticsm, ANY attempt to find a fault in his work or logic, ANYthing that isn't %100 praise? That's a mark against you. 

His whining about social media not being the place for nuance is however correct- Twitter is NOT a good place to have a discussion, given its limitations. Its a real shame that there isn't, oh, a place where he and others can have in-depth conversations about various subjects. A kind of online forum wherein he could at last make himself PERFECTLY understood. Yes, a real SHAME that such a place is COMPLETELY fictional. 

....for those of you not in the know, his website and forum went down a while back and shows no signs of coming back anytime soon, and even before then he had long abandoned his forum in favor of twitter. Him complaining about the format is a complete farce given that he willingly jumped ship rather than deal with the in-depth critcism and debate on said forum.