Spin Attaxx

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Case in point; the base sketch isn't bad, but I really don't want to see it as a finished product.

28 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So, is this defended by fair use or if he tries to monetize his work would this Knuckles derivative land him in legal trouble? Admittedly, it's so far removed from Knuckles visually that at a casual glance you shouldn't make the connection, but he is trying to sell this to fans of his Sonic work, right? Doesn't that inherently carry the risk of someone reporting him for Copyright Infringement or is my lack of legal knowledge just preventing me from seeing how he expects to monetize this legally?

I think there's an awful lot of "it depends" in there.  Changing the character's name and tweaking his appearance goes some way to satisfying baseline obligations to originality, but as I understand it it would depend on how far he tries to push the connection to the original canon.  If your average consumer could still look at The Lara-Su Chronicles and think that it was possibly an official Sonic spin-off, licensed and legitimate, he would be in trouble.  As it is, I think he's probably made just enough changes to get away with it - until you get onto stuff like him apparently intending to straight-up present pages of the Archie comic alongside his own work, apparent intent to use other characters he never owned nor even used...

On 5/24/2018 at 2:33 PM, horridus said:

That's probably the best piece of work I've seen from Penders, and I have to ask... what happened. What in God's name happened? That's like, legitimately good. Its very good compared to the bulk of his other work that I've seen, ESPECIALLY compared to his present output, so again I ask what happened to him that made his skills deteriorate so badly from this? It makes his insistence upon using photographs for his backgrounds seem all the more lazy, given that this establishes he that he can in fact make the effort needed. 

I think his refusal to really play to his strengths is a part of it- he's much better at drawing human(oid)s than he is at drawing anthros, and he's a lot better with traditional methods than he is digital. A lot of his in-progress work looks halfway passable before he starts to color and ink them digitally- he is just plain no good at computerized stuff. 

Speaking of-

Taking a page out of Hunger Games, eh?

I wish I were joking, but given Penders' tendency to nick bits and pieces from other franchises, I can't help but see this through a rather cynical lens.

I thought pants was banned in Echyd'nya land

40 minutes ago, Razule said:

I thought pants was banned in Echyd'nya land

He also said a brooch was somehow connected to her neck. Internal consistency isn't exactly a top priority for Penders. Besides, I THINK those are meant to be bottoms that don't cover the legs, so, technically still pantless. Cause you know, granny panties and a sports bra are a totally awesome design choice for a sci-fi heroine... 

Apologies for the double post- small time update regarding the progress of the App. To the shock of no-one really, its still not ready yet.

Soo yeah, basically just a bunch of meaningless busywork designed to give the impression that he's actually hard of work. In addition to that, he's also got a bit of good news!

Well Ken, if two people who work for Disney (without any specification as to the exact capacity in which they work for Disney) said that, it MUST be a good sign. 

Much like the last time he used this exact set of words, I do not doubt that they said exactly that. Not oooone bit. 

Oh God this is still a thing? Like really? I completely forgot about the miss-adventures of Ken Penders and his crazy Lara-Su project. He seriously only got 1 page done over the course of like seven years? What does else does this guy even do? And did he seriously name Knuckles "K'Nox"? 

Not a 'real' update, but evidently Penders has decided to show he's been busy at Sonic Revolution. 

Sooo yeah, have a bland picture of an expressionless Lien-Da. 

As well as more hyping of the App, can't forget that part of the equation-

Yeeah, Ken, if they say the exact same thing EACH time? They're either being polite to you, or you're making things up. 

26 minutes ago, horridus said:

Yeeah, Ken, if they say the exact same thing EACH time? They're either being polite to you, or you're making things up. 

Wait, is the app out?

50 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, is the app out?

It isn't. Currently the App... prototype or WIP or whatever it is, it's currently on HIS phone. Basically he invites people to look at it, on his phone. 

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's been at least 4 years, does anyone knows how Penders pays for all of this? I'm curious, I wasn't aware you can live of denial.

Maybe his wife has money? I assume he's married because I know he has kids.

8 hours ago, Adamis said:

That is none of our business.

Agreed. Much as I do believe that Penders is a total hack and that his works are laughable a lot of the time (see my avatar), I just don't get the point of this thread or the endless abuse he faces on Twitter. Not everything is outwardly abusive or obviously bullying, but it's mob mentality where everyone is ganging up on him and being generally unpleasant and cruel. Stop giving the guy such attention. Can't we just move on and let him do his thing? Ignore him. All that I see is Penders posting examples of his work with preying fans eager to tear it to shreds, or people grilling and chastising him with unnecessary accusations and questions. And his personal affairs should left out of the discussion entirely. 

On 6/11/2018 at 8:23 AM, horridus said:

Not a 'real' update, but evidently Penders has decided to show he's been busy at Sonic Revolution. 

Sooo yeah, have a bland picture of an expressionless Lien-Da. 

Exactly, like i think that he is taking advantage of people being polite. They may not like it but it would be seen as disrespectful by everyone there. And besides, i am not nsure, but isn't it usually the fans themselves that can say accolades of it, like "Pc's best shooter of the year" or blockbuser - by A. Guy ?

3 hours ago, horridus said:

Actually Aaron Webber was there.

Yeah, this guy just knows to burn bridges. Ian Flynn is much better in the social/professional behavior.

And yeah, I've never seen Penders take criticism, never! At least Ian Flynn accepts the criticism and works to be better than before on his stories.

Here Penders complains about the film's budget (only 7 million??? Heck I'd have done it better).

But he didnt read everything, 7 million was only for the shooting in one of the locations. Actually, the whole budget is 90 millions.

Then someone makes him understand that it's only for that one location, then he complains about why they announce it for that one specific location.

"THESE JERKS ANNOUNCE THE BUDGET OF 1 LOCATION??!. PFFFTT, HOW IN THE WORLD WOULD THEY DO THAT, WHY???? BACK WHEN I HAD MY MOVIE PROJECT...." (sarcasm, satire)