Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

3 hours ago, Mr Silvia said:

Are you fuckin' kidding me? ... Probably not, given everything else here. I take it this is decent evidence that Ken never read anything Ian wrote? Like, anything? The story arc with Tommy's death? Or the fricking nanite city?

Ken has readily admitted to never reading any Flynn's work, nor bothering to keep up with anything else his co-workers did. He cheerfully says this even as he criticized and slammed Flynn's work, and even dismissed Angelo DeCesare's work as being 'furry Archie'... despite admitting to not reading either of these individuals. Yeah, I don't get it it either, but that's kind of Penders in a nutshell really. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Mr Silvia said:

Are you fuckin' kidding me? ... Probably not, given everything else here. I take it this is decent evidence that Ken never read anything Ian wrote? Like, anything? The story arc with Tommy's death? Or the fricking nanite city?

How...confusing and yet reasonably assumed.

39 minutes ago, horridus said:

Ken has readily admitted to never reading any Flynn's work, nor bothering to keep up with anything else his co-workers did. He cheerfully says this even as he criticized and slammed Flynn's work, and even dismissed Angelo DeCesare's work as being 'furry Archie'... despite admitting to not reading either of these individuals. Yeah, I don't get it it either, but that's kind of Penders in a nutshell really. 

I thought he at least read/illustrated the backup stories where Knuckles has a fallout with Locke and Espio infiltrates what used to be the Golden Hive Colony?

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

How...confusing and yet reasonably assumed.

I thought he at least read/illustrated the backup stories where Knuckles has a fallout with Locke and Espio infiltrates what used to be the Golden Hive Colony?

He did letters for that Espio story. That’s literally it.

Funny, if you’re doing the freaking lettering then you’re kinda left with no choice but to read the thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

He did letters for that Espio story. That’s literally it.

Funny, if you’re doing the freaking lettering then you’re kinda left with no choice but to read the thing.

Probably just doesn't remember if he was including that one.

• Nice Smile 1

Oh yeah, I saw this over a month ago, but I forgot to post it up, apparently something IS going on with the Scott Fulop case?

In other news, something actually related to TLSC:

I would have figured that he would have had all of the voice acting done years ago, since he was planning to release years ago, but nothing relating to TLSC makes any sense, so screw it. Now I kinda want to hear the voices he's already got...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mr Silvia said:

I would have figured that he would have had all of the voice acting done years ago, since he was planning to release years ago, but nothing relating to TLSC makes any sense, so screw it. Now I kinda want to hear the voices he's already got...

One would think so. But then one would think that in the six (rapidly approaching seven) years since the lawsuit, Penders would have had more to show for his efforts than rehashes of old art and a novel's worth of inane posturing on twitter. One would likewise think that he would save the translated versions of the book for AFTER establishing an audience. One would think a great many things, but as you have observed, Penders methods regarding this project are at best nonsensical. 

He's mentioned voice acting before, even mentioning he had 'name talent' showing interest. Given his definition of name talent tho, it was always suspect. 

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Is it normal to ask for auditions and not mention any pay rate?

Adamis has confirmed that he receives payment for his work for Penders, and in all likelihood Penders will indeed give pay to anyone who signs on board with him. That said its likely that he is doing this because its cheaper than hiring professionals. He has a history of trying to go the cheap route for these things and using fans towards that end. If he wants to waste time and money on twitter talent of all things, that's his problem. At this rate he's gonna do casting calls for the Spanish, Russian, Persian and Esperanto dubs of the comic. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Mr Silvia said:

Oh yeah, I saw this over a month ago, but I forgot to post it up, apparently something IS going on with the Scott Fulop case?

Just curious... Was the Fulop lawsuit the one that was filed just before Archie Sonic went on hiatus before being cancelled? I kinda got the impression that this was probably what ultimately broke the camel's proverbial back; the impression I got was that Sega didn't want to have to deal with lawsuits popping up every few years because of Archie's screw up.

And for that rumor of the company (I'm assuming Archie) being sold... This being Penders, its probably just him shooting his mouth off, and if it is, he's probably going to try pitching his stuff to the new company... which I doubt will happen since a) he's got a bad reputation and 2) Sega owns all of those character in one form or another, his word be damned (they're still derivative of a Sega product.)

And actually, again out of curiosity and probably shooting my own mouth off… what are the odds of him having been blacklisted from the comic industry? I can't imagine everything he's done looking good to potential employers.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, captobvious42 said:

Just curious... Was the Fulop lawsuit the one that was filed just before Archie Sonic went on hiatus before being cancelled? I kinda got the impression that this was probably what ultimately broke the camel's proverbial back; the impression I got was that Sega didn't want to have to deal with lawsuits popping up every few years because of Archie's screw up.

And for that rumor of the company (I'm assuming Archie) being sold... This being Penders, its probably just him shooting his mouth off, and if it is, he's probably going to try pitching his stuff to the new company... which I doubt will happen since a) he's got a bad reputation and 2) Sega owns all of those character in one form or another, his word be damned (they're still derivative of a Sega product.)

And actually, again out of curiosity and probably shooting my own mouth off… what are the odds of him having been blacklisted from the comic industry? I can't imagine everything he's done looking good to potential employers.

The Fulop lawsuit was the one that occurred after Penders and may or may not have directly contributed to Archie losing its license to publish Sonic stuff. Technically speaking it was a company founded by Fulop that had all his copyrights transferred to it, Ark Narrative, which were the ones to sue Archie. It was likely done so that Fulop could claim HE wasn't doing it, but that Ark Narrative was... either way, it didn't work, and the judge ruled in favor of Archie, though the fallout of all this was that the License was pulled and the Archie comics came to an end. 

As for the rumor, in general its wise to take things Penders says with a grain of salt- he tends to pounce on any sign of things going poorly for people/entities he dislikes. He proclaimed the imminent demise of Archie Sonic several times in the past before it finally happened and even once tried to claim that Boom was 'the future' of the franchise. His biases alone make him a deeply unreliable source of information on this particular subject.

As for the third thing... I sincerely doubt there is any kind of blacklist. Even discounting the lawsuit, Penders is at the end of the day a small timer who was never able to parlay his career in Sonic into anything else out there, and likewise his behavior on twitter alone would serve as an impressive impediment to him being hired. Especially since he's gotten into spats with established, big name pros like Dan Slott and Kurt Busiek, over the pettiest of reasons imaginable. 

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, horridus said:

One would think so. But then one would think that in the six (rapidly approaching seven) years since the lawsuit, Penders would have had more to show for his efforts than rehashes of old art and a novel's worth of inane posturing on twitter. One would likewise think that he would save the translated versions of the book for AFTER establishing an audience. One would think a great many things, but as you have observed, Penders methods regarding this project are at best nonsensical. 

He's mentioned voice acting before, even mentioning he had 'name talent' showing interest. Given his definition of name talent tho, it was always suspect. 

Adamis has confirmed that he receives payment for his work for Penders, and in all likelihood Penders will indeed give pay to anyone who signs on board with him. That said its likely that he is doing this because its cheaper than hiring professionals. He has a history of trying to go the cheap route for these things and using fans towards that end. If he wants to waste time and money on twitter talent of all things, that's his problem. At this rate he's gonna do casting calls for the Spanish, Russian, Persian and Esperanto dubs of the comic. 

Yeah, he seems to turn to the fans for all sorts of things: 3D models, translations, the title of his book...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 6

Just now, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Yeah, he seems to turn to the fans for all sorts of things: 3D models, translations, the title of his book...

I dunno why, but when I read that bit, all I could think of was Penders telling them how in due time they'd be paid, and that they should be happy for the exposure, kinda like Eggman in Sonic Heroes.

• Chuckle 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 5:37 AM, horridus said:

At this rate he's gonna do casting calls for the Spanish, Russian, Persian and Esperanto dubs of the comic. 

Ohh, so how funny it could be if he'd try to do it in Swedish too? If I recall right he was trying to get this translated in Swedish at some point.

Come on, that one screenshot even showed an IKEA app!

Gee, first Swedish, then Russia, I wonder if he tried to hit Finland but kept missing... nah, that was a bad joke. Sorry.

Though I wonder, as far as I have any experiences about French, the Quebec dialect is way more different from French French than Belgian one is from the French French. Natives can correct me when I'm totally wrong but I think this is the case, considering for example how Canadian French speakers appear to be bit like the native Swedish speakers in here; "main" language is a great source of loanwords, one of my many French teachers loved to use word boring as it is in English while they talked in French on the classes...

In Switzerland dialect they have a "real" term for 80, not that 4x20 thing French have and makes me appreciate their passion for multiplication.

^___^

But yeah, about Penders; He seems like really trying to give out a picture about him doing his best to polish every teeny tiny bit in his masterpiece before he gets it out when it comes out as if he's just making up excuses. I dunno really, I just hope he gets this all ready in a way or another; as in he gets it out or outright cancels it. Partly just for his own sake too, this is becoming like some kind of metastasis obsession where the metastasis things are the centres of his obsession rather than the project himself, he's like me on the computer while I should be studying instead of wandering around in YouTube instead he seems to have it even worse... kinda sad.

Translations, localisations, and dubbing comes after the writing and original voice acting is done. Dare I say, after the book is done.

He is actually wasting his time by pursuing this. Wouldn’t be too unexpected by this point.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Why do I get the bad bad feeling that it's gonna be Knuckles who gets poorly dubbed by Penders.

8 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Translations, localisations, and dubbing comes after the writing and original voice acting is done. Dare I say, after the book is done.

Yeah, that's kinda where my concern/confusion with all this comes in--does he have at least sufficient rough drafts done yet or not?

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Why do I get the bad bad feeling that it's gonna be K'Nox who gets poorly dubbed by Penders.

Fixed.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, Ernest-Panda said:

Even if Rob O’ was included, it’s more than likely he’ll barely be the same character anymore.

This! Which has been my main point since the beginning...do ANY of these characters feel like the characters people read, drew fan art of, wrote fan fics of, hell even loved?!
No...no they are not.  They may look the same, Penders may claim they are the same but if you actually look yourself, they are shells of the characters they were.  That's probably the most depressing thing out of all of this.  A guy who created these characters ended up bastardized them.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Not to mention that some could argue that the characters were better written by other writers rather than Penders. And we know how much Penders likes it when someone messes with his story elements...

• Thumbs Up 3

I know this isn't strictly on-topic, but I thought it was worth bringing up since he's been mentioned in this thread a number of times in the past: Ken's longtime friend and former forum moderator Robert Repas, or BobR, has passed away.

• Thumbs Up 4

That’s very sad. I really mean that. Whatever my issues with the man were, they vanished with his passing. My sympathies to his family and friends.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 10/21/2018 at 8:07 PM, Tylinos said:

I know this isn't strictly on-topic, but I thought it was worth bringing up since he's been mentioned in this thread a number of times in the past: Ken's longtime friend and former forum moderator Robert Repas, or BobR, has passed away.

Awful news. I genuinely enjoyed the extensive conversations we had over the years. Supportive, informative, and willing to put up with my burning questions and ridiculous ramblings (though anyone who can put up with me deserves an award or several :P ). A nice man once you got to know him beyond the screen.

While I'm not entirely sure it's common knowledge (can't find a mention of it on the Wiki), BobR had some claim to fame in the Archie Sonic series that definitely deserves a mention. He created the Nanites.

• Thumbs Up 9