Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

RIP Robert Repas (BobR), when i was on Ken Penders forums he was very friendly, even though sometimes i have not been (coughas RutanRocks)

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Paul-Agnew said:

Awful news. I genuinely enjoyed the extensive conversations we had over the years. Supportive, informative, and willing to put up with my burning questions and ridiculous ramblings (though anyone who can put up with me deserves an award or several :P ). A nice man once you got to know him beyond the screen.

While I'm not entirely sure it's common knowledge (can't find a mention of it on the Wiki), BobR had some claim to fame in the Archie Sonic series that definitely deserves a mention. He created the Nanites.

He is that well known?  I had no idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Paul-Agnew said:

Awful news. I genuinely enjoyed the extensive conversations we had over the years. Supportive, informative, and willing to put up with my burning questions and ridiculous ramblings (though anyone who can put up with me deserves an award or several :P ). A nice man once you got to know him beyond the screen.

While I'm not entirely sure it's common knowledge (can't find a mention of it on the Wiki), BobR had some claim to fame in the Archie Sonic series that definitely deserves a mention. He created the Nanites.

Oh, yeah he was credited as "Scientific Advisor" I Part 3 of "The Good, The Bad and The Unknown" also.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pender's characters would have better future , if he just accept to leave them for archie . I feel sorry for the fans who liked his characters . 

On 10/21/2018 at 5:07 AM, Tylinos said:

I know this isn't strictly on-topic, but I thought it was worth bringing up since he's been mentioned in this thread a number of times in the past: Ken's longtime friend and former forum moderator Robert Repas, or BobR, has passed away.

I remember his involvement with Ken Pender's forums. He was older than I thought he was, but it's still sad that he passed on. My condolences go to his friends and family.

On 10/23/2018 at 3:58 PM, Gumbit said:

Pender's characters would have better future , if he just accept to leave them for archie . I feel sorry for the fans who liked his characters . 

Yeah, it's still tragic how all of those characters not by Ian Flynn were removed from the comic after STH #252. If SEGA and/or IDW Publishing doesn't try to convince Penders to share the characters he claimed, then they'll most likely be forgotten somewhere in the 2020s.

3 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Yeah, it's still tragic how all of those characters not by Ian Flynn were removed from the comic after STH #252. If SEGA and/or IDW Publishing doesn't try to convince Penders to share the characters he claimed, then they'll most likely be forgotten somewhere in the 2020s.

If that's what happens, then that's what happens. SEGA really has little motive to really pursue the issue- they only allows their stuff to be published if they own everything that goes in the book. Penders has made it abundantly clear that he wants ownership and will only 'lease' the characters to SEGA. That alone demolishes any kind of chance of anything of his appearing anywhere ever again.

Even if that wasn't the case, Penders has also made it clear that he regards certain characters as being untouchable, and that any use of them would have to be personally approved by him. It amounts to him demanding that he be allowed to possess an unreasonable degree of control over a book that he is not working on. And then you have him admitting to trying to use the lawsuit as a means of trying to coerce SEGA into making a KNUCKLES movie of all things, as detailed here-

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spiu17

With behavior like this, I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided him and his work even if he had a sudden change of heart. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Does Rob O' appear in this?

So far, no. Nor does it seem there will be any plans to have him, as hedgehog characters who explicitly look like Sonic don't fit his M.O.

2 hours ago, Adamis said:

Didn't he say he has plans for Scourge, and Rob ?

He did once say he had plans for Evil Sonic, but I dont know about Rob.

• Too Many Rings 1

And that's something that irks me. Ian had been forbidden to use names introduced by Ken, like Maximillian Acorn, but Ken feels free to use names he didn't create like Mobius or, in this case, Scourge.

• Thumbs Up 9

12 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eric the Echidna, good grief.

What's weird is that was 1993 a whole year before Knuckles appeared.

• Thumbs Up 2

And here we have a tiny not-really-an-update about the App.

Evidently he's still insistent upon the voice auditions thing. Awful nice of him to sound so encouraging, but again, unless he actually produces something this doesn't really mean anything. 

Have any of you heard about his recent tweet regarding that he claims people are quizzing him on getting back to the book and wanting to do the story with any influence of the execs even though they know Sonic 

1 hour ago, Sidronas said:

Have any of you heard about his recent tweet regarding that he claims people are quizzing him on getting back to the book and wanting to do the story with any influence of the execs even though they know Sonic  

Maybe by "back to the book" they mean Archie Sonic. If that ship had to sink they wish he drowned with it.

10 hours ago, Sidronas said:

Even getting past the fact that that's outside the purview of the discussions here, its REALLY not worth bringing up at this point. I'm serious this isn't just old hat for Penders, its practically a cliche by this point.

Ever since the cancellation of the Archie book and the beginning of the IDW book, Penders tends to have a tweet like that AT LEAST once a month, wherein despite INSISTING he's over Sonic he somehow cares enough to speculate about how AWESOME it could TOTALLY be if he were let back on and if those IDIOTS at SEGA just let him do his thing and how it'd be super popular and all that other crap. It's either a crowning testament to just how goddamn out of touch Penders is with the reality of where SEGA is at regarding spinoff media at this point or just the same tired song and dance meant to appeal to his irrelevant fanbase that refused to move on from a specific period in their lives and cling to the deluded hope that despite EVERYTHING, somehow it can all MAGICALLY come back and matter again. 

Its just not worth discussing at this point, because literally everything that can be said has been said. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

21 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Maybe by "back to the book" they mean Archie Sonic. If that ship had to sink they wish he drowned with it.

No, IDW of all things.

I think he's just literally sitting on his butt all day either watching movies or making rants on twitter about movies or politics.

• 5 weeks later...

Wait.  Hold up.  Is Ken implying that he's still so far off on finishing Volume 1 that he's this unsure about the pagecount?  I know completing an entire graphic novel takes a long time, but I'd thought he'd at least have rough page outlines done by now.  This implies he's still pretty early on with them.

That, or he's aiming to 100% complete each page before moving on to the next, which is a very bad idea.  Not only would it slow him down even more overall, but if he started drawing a page and discovered something needed to be changed earlier in the story, doing that's much harder to do with a finished page than a rough.

Hey, Adamis, is there any indication from what you've been shown if he's doing roughs ahead of the final pages, or possibly if he's farther along than he's implying here?  Not asking for exact numbers or anything, just whether I'm reading into this wrong or not.  I honestly kind of hope I am at this point.

• Thumbs Up 6