Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

12 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

This comic is never coming out ever.

I mean we all knew that, but Jesus I am astounded by this man's lack of commitment to his craft, especially considering it's not like he has a whole hell of a lot else going on besides stirring up shit on Twitter.

I really want it to come out , so I can on laugh on it , see the memes popping up .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Ordinarily I would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt and say we should wait and see how it's actually paced out on the page. For all we know, that scene might seem at a glance that it's better suited for earlier in the story, but it might be totally reasonable to situate it right where it's at. There could be plenty of genuinely good stuff before it, maybe a nice slow burn as we get to steep in this world and its characters.

Buuuuuut it's Ken Penders, so, you know, farts.

Aye. This is the guy whose Big Masterpiece, 25YL, took over a year worth of issues focusing on teen drama, sweet sixteens and pool parties before even beginning to nudge forward. There's no hope of this thing panning out in a concise and engaging way within the span of 160 pages. 

• Thumbs Up 3

23 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

This comic is never coming out ever.

I mean we all knew that, but Jesus I am astounded by this man's lack of commitment to his craft, especially considering it's not like he has a whole hell of a lot else going on besides stirring up shit on Twitter.

It's insane considering the big stink he made over these characters and how badly he soiled his reputation. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's insane considering the big stink he made over these characters and how badly he soiled his reputation. 

If I had to guess, I think he was just being super vindictive and/or possessive, but totally lacks the drive to actually do anything with it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Archie Sonic was the first comic I ever read, and I did so religiously. I developed a deep respect for Penders over that time. I mean, this guy was steering the ship on my favorite book, which starred my favorite video game character, and he was penning stories that felt more "adult," like Sonic could be taken more seriously. He's a large part of why I wanted to start making comics, and reading Archie Sonic motivated me to learn more about the form and work to perfect my own art.

I'm the same way. Penders' work in the early days of the Sonic comic when he brought it out of the wacky Mike Gallagher era and made it a more...legitimate, for lack of a better word...story with ongoing plots and complex characters totally helped inspire my childhood desire to be a writer, whether for comic books, TV shows, novels, whatever. A shame he's fallen so far, but the influence he contributed to my creative endeavors will never be forgotten.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Archie Sonic was the first comic I ever read, and I did so religiously. I developed a deep respect for Penders over that time. I mean, this guy was steering the ship on my favorite book, which starred my favorite video game character, and he was penning stories that felt more "adult," like Sonic could be taken more seriously. He's a large part of why I wanted to start making comics, and reading Archie Sonic motivated me to learn more about the form and work to perfect my own art.

Now Penders is teaching me a whole other lesson about art and self improvement, and it's basically to just not be Ken Penders. You have to look back at your own work and respect its faults, otherwise you'll never improve on them. You need to challenge yourself, experiment with new styles, tools, and techniques. You have to have a willingness to grow and move forward. If you don't, then you're really not much of an artist. At worst you're a sad clown yelling into the abyss about how great you are.

I honestly feel terrible about it too. I respected Ken Penders once upon a time, and I'm not the sort who wants to be especially discouraging of anyone. I don't want this for him. I want him to actually produce something wonderful, to make good on his assertion that this story is worth telling, Archie and Sega be damned. But he's just become so toxic, I wish he would just stop. I don't want to feel that way about anyone, let alone someone I looked up to but, here we are.

Aye, I know how you feel. For the longest time the Archie Sonic comic was my favorite. Some kids had Spider-Man or Superman or Batman, but me? I had the Hedgehog, and a lot of my favorite stuff from it had come from Penders. Much like yourself I admired Ken Penders, and was inspired to take up writing because of him. I loved all the stuff he put into the book, and thought 'Endgame' and the Knuckles series were the greatest things in the history of forever. Even as I got older and began to realize his writing was a tad less amazing than I remembered, I could ignore it. It was fun to put my own spin on things and try to make sense of it all. 

THen the lawsuit happened. I couldn't begin to fathom what Penders was thinking or why he would even WANT a bunch of Sonic characters to begin with? And then I found his forum and his twitter and discovered that every single criticism that had ever been levied against him was utterly true. I saw the way he talked down to his fans, the way he dismissed his co-workers, his incredibly bitter behavior towards Flynn all the while lauding himself and making himself out to be some kind of Martyr for Sonic, and his complete, utter inability to accept or acknowledge any kind of criticism for anything at all.

The thing that really broke me was the growing realization that everything he had made for the Sonic comics had not been done for the benefit of the book- it was ultimately all about him and what he wanted. He never really cared. Not for the right reasons- he cared because Sonic gave him a name, but he was never about actually enhancing Sonic. He clung to Knuckles because Knuckles was a blank slate that let him do what he want. All those attempts to make Sonic 'deep'? They were nothing more than him trying to reshape the comic into something else, something he could pretend was a 'real' book rather than the glorified set of advertisements for a video game series starring a blue, cartoon hedgehog that they were. 

Knowing all that robbed me of any ability to love what I had once loved most about the comics. That man robbed me of being able to even indulge my nostalgia, because I would always know that his motives were always about himself rather than the book, and that the only reason he had a career was due to sheer, dumb luck. I learned more stuff, and basically came to the realization that my hero was a pretty awful person. Not the worst kind of person, but someone who was in no way deserving of admiration or respect.

Even after getting 'what he wanted', he still refused to let go. He still can't accept that his former perch is gone and that he is no longer THe Sonic Guy, and his bitterness towards Flynn is only getting worse. Today, Ian Flynn wrote an article in the defense of the upcoming film, pointing out that Sonic's history in televised media meant that really, the film isn't exactly treading new ground in that regard even if its a deeply misguided affair. Penders decided to comment on it by calling it a 'load of crap' and that Flynn had 'swallowed the corporate Kool-Aid', and how furthermore he was 'pissed' at Flynn 'dismissing the comics entirely'. The reason for this? Because while the article was about Sonic in television, Flynn briefly mentioned his work history in the comics to let people know where he was coming from with all this, but didn't mention the early comics... specifically, he didn't mention Penders himself. That was what provoked all that. Daring to not mention Penders in an article that had nothing to do with him OR the old Archie comics. 

The fact I used to respect this man is a shameful black mark on my life. 

You're a lot more forgiving than me that you hold no ill-will towards him, but after what I've seen and heard, I'm afraid I can't say I feel the same. Oh, I don't want anything legitimately bad to happen to him, but I don't want him to succeed...not that it matters much. Its painfully obvious he's never going to get anywhere with this, and even if he did his skills have stagnated and rotted past the point of no return. Even if that wasn't the case, the incompetency of everything he makes would ensure that this would only ever be an infamous laughing stock of a book. 

I don't really like feeling this way, and I don't like that I can't really love what I used to love the way I used to anymore, but that's where I'm at now.

...we're halfway past the month ending and the new year beginning, and he still hasn't released anything of substance. It'll have been seven years, soon. Seven years of nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2

On 12/13/2018 at 1:31 AM, horridus said:

You know, something just occurred to me- if the script is in fact at 160 plus pages as Penders says here? Then what the hell is happening in the first third? Cause I still got those excerpts he showed on his site before he stopped giving a crap about it- 

Man, years later and its STILL one of the most painfully awful things I've read. 

Anyway, that particular trip down bad memory lane aside, what I'm getting at is that this scene plays out like something that should happen fairly early in the story, right at the beginning or near the beginning. Yet its sixty pages in. I wondered how long the script could possibly be if it took 60 pages to get to THIS point... and now I know that it takes roughly a third or so of the entire story to reach this particular point, so what the Christ happens to fill up the space until then? 

It's just... unbelievable, really. 

It's possible that the version of the script he currently has had a number of things moved around since then to accommodate revisions and later additions. 

Still, how long ago was that now?

On 12/13/2018 at 7:11 AM, CleverSonicUsername said:

"Who's kidding whom now?"

Yeah that's how people talk.

Ah yes, the classic overly sophisticated yet modern dialogue.

And it's Lara-Su saying that, I think.

I completely forgot how much of an assault on my graphic design sense that banner was until now. Thanks -_-.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Ayup.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2018/12/14/leave-those-legs-alone-there-is-no-true-sonic/

It was basically a defense of the movie, pointing out how over the years Sonic has had a lot of adaptations on the little screen that veer radically away from the games, and while doing Sonic in real life is deeply misguided it's not exactly THAT big a violation, all things considered. He's basically just saying 'I know you're upset, but being hysterical isn't going to help things', which is a fair point to make given that some of the responses within the fandom have been a tad over the top.

Now, in the midst of introducing himself and explaining himself and his precise relationship to SEGA, he briefly mentioned his own career. Very briefly, mind you, as to not bog down the article with history lessons. 

Well, evidently, Penders didn't care for that one bit, and promptly went into a VERY heated tirade on Twitter. 

Yeah. NOT bothering to mention Penders, and let's be realistic its only Penders' own work that Kenny boy here cares about, was enough to provoke this. It's particularly unusual given that up until now, Penders has only ever been passive-aggressive rather than straight up aggressive. Evidently, failure to lavish praise and thanks upon him despite him being the reason Flynnn and his co-workers lost their job is sufficient for Penders to spit venom and bile like this.

And in the name of keeping this at least tangentially connected to the topic of the thread- Penders has changed his header. Which may or may not mean something will be coming before the year's end. Personally, I'm betting 'not'. 

zflBSDx.png 

Given the intense display of entitled immaturity I just showcased, that tagline has become so very hilarious. 

You know, I have been very curious about this Penders guy for a good while now and looking through this thread, I have to ask: Is this guy narcissistic or something? Is he just a bitter spoiled man that likes to have his way?

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

You know, I have been very curious about this Penders guy for a good while now and looking through this thread, I have to ask: Is this guy narcissistic or something? Is he just a bitter spoiled man that likes to have his way?

That's ultimately what he often appears to be, unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

Playing armchair psychologist is verboten here, so none of us can really say. That being said- your assessment about him being a bitter, spoiled man is pretty on the money. He's objectively got an incredibly inflated sense of self-importance regarding his work on the comic and a complete inability to move on from that or from Sonic, as well as a deep seated, intense resentment towards Ian Flynn for basically replacing him, topped off with a chronic inability to accept any kind of criticism or admit to being at fault at anything. 

In short, he's a five year old trapped in the body of a sixty year old. Its pathetic. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Ayup.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2018/12/14/leave-those-legs-alone-there-is-no-true-sonic/

It was basically a defense of the movie, pointing out how over the years Sonic has had a lot of adaptations on the little screen that veer radically away from the games, and while doing Sonic in real life is deeply misguided it's not exactly THAT big a violation, all things considered. He's basically just saying 'I know you're upset, but being hysterical isn't going to help things', which is a fair point to make given that some of the responses within the fandom have been a tad over the top.

Now, in the midst of introducing himself and explaining himself and his precise relationship to SEGA, he briefly mentioned his own career. Very briefly, mind you, as to not bog down the article with history lessons. 

Well, evidently, Penders didn't care for that one bit, and promptly went into a VERY heated tirade on Twitter. 

*(Fuck you, not makin people scroll through all this)*

Yeah. NOT bothering to mention Penders, and let's be realistic its only Penders' own work that Kenny boy here cares about, was enough to provoke this. It's particularly unusual given that up until now, Penders has only ever been passive-aggressive rather than straight up aggressive. Evidently, failure to lavish praise and thanks upon him despite him being the reason Flynnn and his co-workers lost their job is sufficient for Penders to spit venom and bile like this.

And in the name of keeping this at least tangentially connected to the topic of the thread- Penders has changed his header. Which may or may not mean something will be coming before the year's end. Personally, I'm betting 'not'. 

zflBSDx.png 

Given the intense display of entitled immaturity I just showcased, that tagline has become so very hilarious. 

You know, had he just stopped at one or maybe even three of those, I might've said I could sorta see where he's coming form, but uh....

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, horridus said:

Oh, I don't want anything legitimately bad to happen to him, but I don't want him to succeed...not that it matters much. Its painfully obvious he's never going to get anywhere with this, and even if he did his skills have stagnated and rotted past the point of no return.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't really wish ill will towards him, but I also don't need to root against him because it's just a forgone conclusion that he's not going to see any further success. I might feel differently if the possibility was there, but that's predicated in a large way by him actually releasing something. You can't find success when you got jack shit to actually sell someone.

Also, I wouldn't view it as a "black mark" to have appreciated his work. The way I look at it, I still got something positive out of my experience with Archie Sonic back in the day. It introduced me to a medium I now routinely work in, and I can appreciate that even despite... you know, everything else.

Edit: Feel I should elaborate a tiny bit more on my first point, because I did say that I didn't want this for Penders. What I mean by that is, the Penders I built up back when I had a dumb idiot child's brain? I wish that man nothing but the best. But that's not who he is now, and it's very likely it's not who he ever was. If Penders, through all his toxicity, found success despite himself and despite his utter lack of talent, that would actually be kind of depressing. What I originally said about wanting him to find success, Archie and Sonic be damned? I mean that in the sense that I wanted that for a hypothetical version of Ken Penders that never has and never will exist. And maybe I'd like for the current Ken Penders to somehow metamorphose into that shiny-eye ideal of mine, but that's not gonna happen. He's way past the point of redemption in my eyes. I can't root for this man the way I wish I could.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Now he's claiming most fans don't come from the games, and are from other media, including comics. 

He's sad. He can't move on from Sonic.

And with the movie, he's bringing up his old project to try and be relevant.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:33 PM, Roarey Raccoon said:

By itself, this "project" is just some amateur, lacklustre art with an attempt to dress it up with bog-standard photoshop effects and filters. The fact that a man with decades in the comic industry, an artist for so long, has churned out this broken, unfinished shit, is disgraceful. I'd die from embarrassment just drawing something that bad with my own experience, which pales in comparison to how long Penders has been working. To be able to show this off with pride and confidence takes some serious delusion. I don't know whether to pity him or just be annoyed that he'd trade on his name to fart out this garbage in such a competitive industry, teeming with talent. What a sad git.

This. How many deadlines has he missed?

• Thumbs Up 7

Hasn't Ken said comic books are not noticed now, that people only look at movies now? If so then I think we have Ken's biggest and most sourest hypocrisy yet.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

15 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Also, I wouldn't view it as a "black mark" to have appreciated his work. The way I look at it, I still got something positive out of my experience with Archie Sonic back in the day. It introduced me to a medium I now routinely work in, and I can appreciate that even despite... you know, everything else.

Edit: Feel I should elaborate a tiny bit more on my first point, because I did say that I didn't want this for Penders. What I mean by that is, the Penders I built up back when I had a dumb idiot child's brain? I wish that man nothing but the best. But that's not who he is now, and it's very likely it's not who he ever was. If Penders, through all his toxicity, found success despite himself and despite his utter lack of talent, that would actually be kind of depressing. What I originally said about wanting him to find success, Archie and Sonic be damned? I mean that in the sense that I wanted that for a hypothetical version of Ken Penders that never has and never will exist. And maybe I'd like for the current Ken Penders to somehow metamorphose into that shiny-eye ideal of mine, but that's not gonna happen. He's way past the point of redemption in my eyes. I can't root for this man the way I wish I could.

I can't help but view it as precisely that, for me at least. See, in life, you gradually learn that the people you admire aren't as perfect as you once thought. This can vary by degrees- sometimes it means finding out they have flaws like anybody else, and sometimes it means they're simply awful. The thing is though, with all those other instances I can think of, I can at least say 'Yeah, they did something pretty amazing and their work IS good even if I can't really respect them like I used to'. With Penders though... it's just so clear that there's nothing to him, or his work, or his career. He's just an incompetent, mean spirited jerkweed who lucked out due to circumstances, and owes his entire career to that. Virtually his entire body of work is mediocre, sub-par... worse than that, it becomes painfully clear that he really DID just use someone else's comic as a vehicle for ideas he'd never get to use anywhere else. He honestly tried to use the book as a commercial for his own independent series, an offensive ripoff of the X-men at that. 

That's where it all becomes shameful for me. He's a parasite, and if this lawsuit never happened, I would have never realized it.

15 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Now he's claiming most fans don't come from the games, and are from other media, including comics. 

He's sad. He can't move on from Sonic.

And with the movie, he's bringing up his old project to try and be relevant.

This. How many deadlines has he missed?

It's a pretty standard issue argument from him. He's managed to convince himself that Archie sonic was this huge, international phenomena that exploded thanks to him, and is completely convinced that it is the most recognizable anything to come from Sonic. The fact that even at its peak it could never begin to match the sales or exposure of the games is something he prefers to not acknowledge. 

Trying to stay relevant, and very desperately trying to grasp at some kind of Sonic Fame over being 'the first' to try and get a movie done... nevermind that not only was he not the first, he may have actively sabotaged at least one of the prior attempts. 

As for the deadlines thing? All of 'em. Every time he's promised to release something of substance, he's fallen through. Guy can't keep a set schedule to save his life. 

14 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Hasn't Ken said comic books are not noticed now, that people only look at movies now? If so then I think we have Ken's biggest and most sourest hypocrisy yet.

Yeah, for such a professed fan of comic books, Penders really loves to trump television and movies over them. It gets to the point where it makes me wonder if what he really wanted to be was a scriptwriter, and only 'settled' on comics because he couldn't make it in TV/movies. 

And aye, it is indeed hypocritical of Penders, but its a pattern with him. Comics being ignored in favor of their film adaptations is perfectly fine... unless it means HIS comics are being ignored. Ian Flynn is to be derided because he came after Penders and based his works on what came before, but oh wait, its different when Ken's entire career is owed to a bunch of video games and a cartoon based upon said video games. Oh and of course, Creator's Rights is of paramount importance, but him infringing upon designs and concepts and trying to actively leech off the works of another Creator (namely SEGA), that's just fine and and dandy Because Of Reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 8