Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Omg!!! What? Literally WHAT?! Does he listen to himself when he speaks?

Ken flippin Penders says he can't take today's announcement of a Sonic movie seriously because on one hand he hears a script is being written but on the other he hears a series is being planned?

Isn't that...isn't that exactaly what he's doing?! Planning 15 million books, a series, a movie, merchandise, all before one thing has even been released. And HE can't take this Sonic movie news seriously?!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! *dies laughing*

• Thumbs Up 1

Omg!!! What? Literally WHAT?! Does he listen to himself when he speaks?

Ken flippin Penders says he can't take today's announcement of a Sonic movie seriously because on one hand he hears a script is being written but on the other he hears a series is being planned?

Well, it's clear this will be an absolute failure without the great and powerful Ken Penders helming such a project. NOBODY HAS KEN PENDERS'S VISION! PENDERS 2014!

*gag*

The man seriously can't just shut up for a minute, can he? He's busy talking shit about SEGA and what they're doing with their property (maybe he's convinced Sonic should belong to him too? Oh lawd!) when he's got his characters back... why does he still care? Either he expects LSC to blow anything with the Sonic name out of the water and that SEGA and Archie will come crawling to him a their "savior," or he's desperate to have some kind of working relationship with SEGA again since they're doing projects he's interested in but he's burned all his bridges with his idiotic crusade. The man needs to focus on what he's doing instead of talking shit about everyone else, because he's fighting an uphill battle for relevance.

He is such a fool. I'd say I can't believe it, but honestly I can't believe I didn't expect this from him. 

Also I think it's kind of funny he's ripping on SEGA while he's using his own fan-derivatives of Sonic to make his own thing...no. No matter how much Penders tries he will never be able to cut the general association of Lara-su and StH, which ties back to SEGA. 

Have fun, Penders.

Where's Lord Biznizz today? I would have thought he would be all over this by now!

I also find it funny he's said on his forum recently that the reason people are more accepting of his human character vs his redesigned echidna is that the Sonic community...yup the blame is all on us...is resistant to change. It's the change we don't like. Not that the newer model was a lot better in the asthetics department and more palatable, not cause we had literally no expectations for it as it wasn't a pre-established character...but because we are resistant to change. He also had to slip in that his personal feedback has been highly positive for both redesigns and that it was apparently only the public and outside opinions that differed, the unimportant ones...you know the ones he's trying to sell to >.<

The man needs to focus on what he's doing instead of talking shit about everyone else, because he's fighting an uphill battle for relevance.

I think I might've said this before, but it says a lot that we hear a lot more about the controversy Penders generates than the actual project he's trying to sell to people.

• Thumbs Up 8

Where's Lord Biznizz today? I would have thought he would be all over this by now!

I also find it funny he's said on his forum recently that the reason people are more accepting of his human character vs his redesigned echidna is that the Sonic community...yup the blame is all on us...is resistant to change. It's the change we don't like. Not that the newer model was a lot better in the asthetics department and more palatable, not cause we had literally no expectations for it as it wasn't a pre-established character...but because we are resistant to change. He also had to slip in that his personal feedback has been highly positive for both redesigns and that it was apparently only the public and outside opinions that differed, the unimportant ones...you know the ones he's trying to sell to >.<

I would really like to know who his personal feedback circle is, and I mean other than BobR. Just from an aesthetic point of view, regardless of if you're a Sonic fan or not, the redesigned Echi--er, Echyd'nya, just don't look very appealing. It's not resistance to change, it's resistance to seeing these characters, which were swiped out of the licensed book they were created for thanks to legal loopholes, mangled into almost unrecognizable, empty shells that are just plain ugly. And, in a weird way, they still look like Sonic characters, regardless of his claims. They're still just Knuckles with pug faces and wigs and tacky outfits and none of the charm they once had. His ego is even more infuriating than his screwy crusade. Like he wasn't even trying to separate and make them interesting, something fans could do in less than an hour following the unveiling of one of his designs.

I think I might've said this before, but it says a lot that we hear a lot more about the controversy Penders generates than the actual project he's trying to sell to people.

Indeed. Maybe he thinks there's no such thing as bad press? I dunno if he's trying to distract from the awfulness of it, but he's just ruining his own image and hurting his own creation. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what happened when he tried to launch the Lost Ones at Image all those years ago (especially since he was blaming everything other than the possibility it was just a terrible comic book on it getting canned after one issue). I guess he'll be looking to blame SEGA and Sonic fans for having some sort of conspiracy against him when LSC tanks, too.

Hey, sorry. Was busy with some stuff today; thank God I have other things to be interested/concerned about other than what stupid sh*t Penders has done/said or I'd think I would need some therapy.

What can I say; that since the Sonic movie rumor about 2-3 months ago, where Penders said he'd be perfectly willing to help out or have it be based on Endgame, he's now said he's doubtful about it since, what, Sonic Boom is still being developed? As if something has changed between that, other than him seeing nearly everyone on Twitter telling him "Oh, god no!"

That meanwhile he's getting Schadenfreude from watching SEGA get flak about Boom, as they're "now getting the same treatment he's getting" and basically bragged about it on Twitter, immediately putting up defense when he's called out on it?

You know what, when it comes to some Sonic fans "being resistant to change"... yeah, that can be kinda true in some/many regards. There's still drama about Modern Sonic, with his green eyes & slight body structure change, DA is full of those guys, like Nicochi or ProfessorMegaman (who's such a Classic snob about Sonic & Mega Man, he even tried to garner support for a "Fire Flynn From Mega Man" book since Ian's supposedly doing it wrong".) who quite honestly things Sonic looks like this:

sonic_generations_by_professormegaman-d3

But you know what, even non-Sonic fans are gonna say this looks like a crap project, even without knowledge about what Penders did to get it started. Because even forgetting the fact that Penders seems to forget that half of a project is making sure the characters look good (forget the CG renders, isn't this supposed to be, you know, penciled? Or is it all going to be made on a computer looking like that sh*t?), is making sure the story doesn't suck, and we all know how the exerpts he's released sound like.

He's just acting petty because he's getting frustrated that SEGA & Sonic are moving on without him, and not crash-and-burning without him like he thought they would. He can go cry over his Hot Pockets while waiting for his models to render for all I care about what Kenny-boy thinks about the Sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's funny, but the one on the left almost looks like the way Penders used to draw Knuckles... o.O

More importantly, why the hell does Sonic have moobs?

Isn't he supposed get them post-retirement?

It's ProfessorMegaman's way of "subtly" expressing his displeasure at Modern Sonic, who he feels has too many extraneous aspects in his design and that Classic Sonic was perfectly designed in every way, shape & form.

He's also one of THOSE people, who feel that the green eyes ruined Sonic and made him look soulless.

http://professormegaman.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Generations-213640265 Read his comments, he's a total Snob.

Speaking of, here's his "Fire Flynn" journal calling for people to sign his petition to fire Ian Flynn from writing the Mega Man comic: http://professormegaman.deviantart.com/journal/Sign-The-Fire-Ian-Flynn-Off-Megaman-Petition-353858565

Reading his call on the actual petition is hilarious, made even more so by the fact that, to this day, only one person has signed it.

We the faithful, yet unappeased, fans of the Mega Man video game franchise have grown dissatisfied with the way the series is being represented in the comic book series currently being produced by Archie Comics Publications, INC. The comic series' lead writer, one Ian "Potto" Flynn, has demonstrated a blatant lack of understanding about what has made the series so popular over it's 25 year history. His writings offend us as loyal fans and are all but lacking the basic, necessary qualities we feel a Mega Man comic book should contain. Instead of depicting these elements, Mr. Flynn has instead weighed down the comic with his own trifling attempts at creativity and insertion of esoteric fan service references. The stories are weak, the characterization is shallow and the focus has been drawn away from the basic concept of a robot hero fighting a mad scientist and his army of robots. Because of this and many more failings, we who have patiently waited for this comic to resume representing the cherished game series, have come to believe that this writer has no intention of doing so and will continue to deviate even further for the sake of his own gratification. For these reasons we demand that he be relieved of his duties as writer of the Mega Man comic book and replaced with a more skillful writer who at least has a better understanding of how to adapt a video game into a comic book. Read our lips: "FIRE FLYNN!"

In more Penders related news, we turn back to one of Ken's toadies, FuhrerMustang (sandwiched between BobR and NikiSavageArt; trublusonicfan seems to have gone quiet aside from mostly retweeting Penders' pics) as he gives his very profound opinion on the Sonic movie:

https://twitter.com/FuhrerMustang/status/476488103851331585

https://twitter.com/FuhrerMustang/status/476488362375671808

But just so this post isn't completely depressing, here's some sketches from new Sonic artist, Jen Hernandez's twitter, including Sticks.

https://twitter.com/ChibiJenHen_Art/status/472391720764997633

https://twitter.com/ChibiJenHen_Art/status/474601052923527168

That "Fire Flynn" petition has literally /ONE SIGNATURE/ on it. Pathetic...

Sticks looks so nice in Jennifer's style!!

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't mean to drag back to ProfessorMegaman's brand of lunacy, but his whole "Fire Flynn" initiative is laughable. He doesn't even give examples to back up these claims. I thought Archie's Mega Man was exactly what people wanted? It's literally the games with some expansion of that world so it's not a boring slog of "Wily's at it again!" month to month. Or I suppose there are people who want that kind of thing? Why even make a comic then? Let's just copy paste screenshots from the games in sequential order and call it a day. Apparently that's more worth $3/month than a decent all-ages story that's genuinely fun and interesting to read, even to someone like me who doesn't have that much interest in Mega Man.

And, lord, I'm afraid any more exposure to that gross RGB blue he used to color his caricature of "Modern" Sonic will ruin my monitor. While I'm no master draughtsman myself, and admit the guy has some skill at being able to copy certain styles, but yikes he's kind of a hacky artist. He's not really trying to make any of it his own, preferring to just copy styles and be done with it. On one hand, it shows consistency, but on the other, it's just really dull to look at. Maybe I'm being too harsh? I dunno; personal tastes, I guess.

And, oh, FuhrerMustang. You know, maybe Penders needs to find some better PR people; this Mustang cat and BobR really don't do him any favors, especially with a fandom that he managed to piss off in the most ridiculous way possible.

Oh hey! Jen Hernandez! I dig her take on Sticks, if Archie gets a Sonic Boom book, I think she'd be well-suited to draw it!

Flynn started in the MegaMan comic at a clean state, it didn't had several years of emotional baggage like the Sonic one. This should be the reason why MegaMan had less drama than Sonic, actually that petition was the first and only MM comic drama I heard about.

With the STH reboot, in a sense Flynn also has a clean state to begin with. To be honest, the reboot is more interesting to me than the old universe. I have started reading Sonic with the crossover, but I have caught several old issues and they didn't sound to me as interesting as the new universe.

• Thumbs Up 4

As a Megaman fan, I really love what Ian is doing with it. I love literally everything he's put into it- the sidestories, plots, cameos, just all of it. That guy just wants Flynn fired as one of Pender's cronies :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, no. ProfessorMegaman hates Penders for his Sonic stuff just as much, if not moreso, as he hates Ian's Sonic & Mega Man stuff.

For a self-proclaimed Classic Mega Man fan, Prof has some really lousy taste; he honestly thought the Ruby-Spears cartoon was more faithful & enjoyable than what Ian's writing. He's also the only person I've seen complain about Mega Man's Final Smash, complaining about the other Mega Men who show up for that five seconds or so. "Hangers-on", he calls them, that drag Mega Man down.

Forgive my crudity, but he's just a nostalgiatard; pure and simple.

Edited by biznizz
  • Thumbs Up 2

It amazes me how some fans are so damn single-minded. They're like flanderizations of themselves.

Brilliantly put. There comes a time when everyone else is just sick of hearing how much they hate almost everything about the thing they supposedly love more than anything else. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok, so, holy shit i have absolutely no life, i just spent the past maybe three days reading this whole thread all because of a freaking echidna plush i got at a theater festival making me remember my childhood love of Knuckles and his family from the comics.

So uh. Yeah. My nostalgia lense has been utterly shattered by Ken Penders stupidity. Granted, i'm still a fan of our resident mary sue, Lara Su, but thats because i read 25YL at probably the hardest time in my families life and child-me thought of her as the coolest damn thing.

But yeah. This topic and its treasure trove of Penders nonsense have destroyed many a childhood memory, probably for the better. Now i'm excited for the Lara Su Chronicles, just to see it fall on its face.

I'm also getting back into sonic now. Woohoo! If only i were good at the games or had money for comics.... in any case, i will offer my two cents from here on out, be it on the topic of horrendus 3D models, idiotic tweets, or just general Penders shenanigans. Yes i signed up just to join in, what of it?

• Thumbs Up 6

Ok, so, holy shit i have absolutely no life, i just spent the past maybe three days reading this whole thread all because of a freaking echidna plush i got at a theater festival making me remember my childhood love of Knuckles and his family from the comics.

[snip]

I'm also getting back into sonic now. Woohoo! If only i were good at the games or had money for comics.... in any case, i will offer my two cents from here on out, be it on the topic of horrendus 3D models, idiotic tweets, or just general Penders shenanigans. Yes i signed up just to join in, what of it?

Well, welcome to the site! Sorry to hear that the reality of when Penders is doing has put a bit of a taint on your memories of his work, but thems the brakes sometimes.

Yes i signed up just to join in, what of it?

Welcome! Nothing wrong with signing up to join in, and there's plenty other topics to hold a discussion such as the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog if you're still interested in the games.

Hell, good or bad, the comics have actually brought some restoration into the Sonic series for some people than even the games. So that counts for something, right?

Side note - the place can be quite tense, especially when misunderstandings rear up, so be careful around here. ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

So uh. Yeah. My nostalgia lense has been utterly shattered by Ken Penders stupidity. Granted, i'm still a fan of our resident mary sue, Lara Su, but thats because i read 25YL at probably the hardest time in my families life and child-me thought of her as the coolest damn thing.

But yeah. This topic and its treasure trove of Penders nonsense have destroyed many a childhood memory, probably for the better. Now i'm excited for the Lara Su Chronicles, just to see it fall on its face.

Don't worry, you're not the only one disillusioned with Penders thanks to this nonsense (hence the thread). While it doesn't kill my love of the old continuity or those characters, it's certainly made some of those stories much harder to read. Never hurts to have another voice to bounce the conversation around though. Welcome aboard!

Hmm his recent comments have been interesting to say the least. He has recently seen the Paddington trailer and thinks if they use that level of quality CGI in the Sonic movie then it could work. Shows he obviously doesn't know a thing about Marza if he's still wondering what the quality of the CGI will be like.

He then goes on to wondering why Sony Pictures and Sega haven't announced that they are using the comics as source material for the movie. Saying that the games lack the steady fanbase of the 20+ years of subscribers the comics have and it would be a better place to start, and that the games have little to no real usable material or emotional stories which would be needed to bring in a wider audience.

Sounds to me like he just wants another chance to sue or get involved if they start mentioning using the comics as a source...which they wouldn't considering all the trouble recently and the reboot. It would be like going backwards if they all of a sudden decided to use any old universe stuff as a basis for the movie. Not to mention Sega is all "has to be like the games" these days. The guy is obviously busting at the seams to get involved or have some miracle phone call where they ask to use his material. Ain't gunna happen.

• Thumbs Up 8

"Sounds to me like he just wants another chance to sue or get involved if they start mentioning using the comics as a source...which they wouldn't considering all the trouble recently and the reboot. It would be like going backwards if they all of a sudden decided to use any old universe stuff as a basis for the movie. Not to mention Sega is all "has to be like the games" these days. The guy is obviously busting at the seams to get involved or have some miracle phone call where they ask to use his material. Ain't gunna happen." - Tenko.

In the Pendercave:

Penders: Hm...so they dare to create a movie about Sonic eh? Perhaps I can use this to my advantage! I'll use the power of my glorious history as Head Sonic Writer of Archie to make them use the Archie Material...more specifically, MY MATERIAL! Then I'll sue them and they'll be so tired of me that they'll pay me 33.3 million dollars to shut me up! ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN! Then soon the world will be FIIIIIILLED with the Lara-Su Chronicles merchandise and comics, and I will soon regain my position as the true king of comic writers!

FuhrerMustang and BobR: *Insert asskissing with the former in a weird pseudo-German accent that rotates between several different voices*

Penders: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile
  • Thumbs Up 7