Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

Remember that there is more than one Sonic 2.

"Excuse me, Mr. Yardley, can you dwaw me a picture of Silva Sonic? Not Silva Sonic on the Game Gear, but Silva Sonic on the Mega Drive!"

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

3 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Ken, that's how trademark abandonment works, not copyright.

This comes off as a laughable attempt at trying to imply he has the right to use the Freedom Fighters in TL-SC however he chooses. "If SEGA don't use these characters, they've abandoned their rights to them therefore I can use them however I choose".

Unfortunately, how the law works in Ken's make-believe land of fairies and him being a good writer, and how law works in reality are two very different concepts.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

Wait, what?

Wasn't the point of them stopping use of his characters midstory because they didn't wanna risk getting further sued for using them?

• Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

Ken just stop and stfu

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This comes off as a laughable attempt at trying to imply he has the right to use the Freedom Fighters in TL-SC however he chooses. "If SEGA don't use these characters, they've abandoned their rights to them therefore I can use them however I choose".

Unfortunately, how the law works in Ken's make-believe land of fairies and him being a good writer, and how law works in reality are two very different concepts.

Can we all agree he should his mouth about the freedom fighters after all he is the one he destroyed them ?

54 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, what?

Wasn't the point of them stopping use of his characters midstory because they didn't wanna risk getting further sued for using them?

The ones who will stop them are the fans

The fans will meet Ken at the hot gates

Its probably like the Captain Marvel situation, DC didn't use it when they got it and the trademark expired allowing Marvel to step in and use the name and they have to publish something every few years to retain the trademark.

So a name like Bunnie Rabbot would be available but the design and backstory wouldn't.

Spoiler

Quick thank you to anyone quoting this to fill in a better/corrected version.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Eh, so what else is new? Penders routinely misunderstands/misrepresents these things in an effort to look more in the know than is. Doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day, he can't use anything of Sonic without heavily altering it, and more to the point? He STILL doesn't have anything to show for his efforts. Nor is he ever gonna have more than nothing at any point. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Not that he alterers them that much. I mean, his masterpiece graphic novel (that will be released a few million years later) for which he fought in court features what is essentially Knuckles with the OVA hat:

Dbqom77XcAA4FMq?format=jpg&name=small

A beloved character from the Sonic franchise.

latest?cb=20140703174424

Pen Kenders like totally over 9000% original, doughnut steel character: The Praetorian.

That guy has some nerve to be talking about copyright when he himself is such a scumbag who weasels his way out. Only reason he does not get sued is because he is not making any money out of it (yet) and because it's not worth it (Sega's lawyer would have to take his car out of the garage to make room for whatever is seized from Penders as compensation... tha poor car). Unlike him, Sega knows that whatever Kenny boi decides to do is so small and irrelevant that there is no way his work can have any impact on how people perceive the franchise nor cause any brand confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

Ken you wanted to kill of Sally and Antonie, you wanted to put Rotor on a buss. Stop pretending you cared about the Freedom Fighters in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

21 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Its probably like the Captain Marvel situation, DC didn't use it when they got it and the trademark expired allowing Marvel to step in and use the name and they have to publish something every few years to retain the trademark.

So a name like Bunnie Rabbot would be available but the design and backstory wouldn't.

Hide contents

Quick thank you to anyone quoting this to fill in a better/corrected version.

Yeah hat one was confusing as hell

16 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Ken you wanted to kill of Sally and Antonie, you wanted to put Rotor on a buss. Stop pretending you cared about the Freedom Fighters in the first place.

Ken does not give a flying fuck about the freedom fighters 

also he is bitching about sonic not having a girlfriend 

17 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Not that he alterers them that much. I mean, his masterpiece graphic novel (that will be released a few million years later) for which he fought in court features what is essentially Knuckles with the OVA hat:

Dbqom77XcAA4FMq?format=jpg&name=small

A beloved character from the Sonic franchise.

latest?cb=20140703174424

Pen Kenders like totally over 9000% original, doughnut steel character: The Praetorian.

That guy has some nerve to be talking about copyright when he himself is such a scumbag who weasels his way out. Only reason he does not get sued is because he is not making any money out of it (yet) and because it's not worth it (Sega's lawyer would have to take his car out of the garage to make room for whatever is seized from Penders as compensation... tha poor car). Unlike him, Sega knows that whatever Kenny boi decides to do is so small and irrelevant that there is no way his work can have any impact on how people perceive the franchise nor cause any brand confusion.

I think that drawing just gave my computer a std and it’s terminal 

18 hours ago, horridus said:

Eh, so what else is new? Penders routinely misunderstands/misrepresents these things in an effort to look more in the know than is. Doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day, he can't use anything of Sonic without heavily altering it, and more to the point? He STILL doesn't have anything to show for his efforts. Nor is he ever gonna have more than nothing at any point. 

Yeah he doesn’t understand anything at all

he just bitched on his Twitter on why doesn’t sonic have a girlfriend and says sonic is asexual or something 

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Lets look at all the characters Ken hasn't used for years and use legal action. By his logic it'd work as he hasn't used about 80% of them in years.

Yes let’s do that

40 minutes ago, Alpineredoubt said:

he just bitched on his Twitter on why doesn’t sonic have a girlfriend and says sonic is asexual or something 

A lot of people think Sonic is Asexual because he isn't constantly hooking up or flirting.

Personally I view him as Pansexual because he doesn't seem to care about species (going off Elise) so that leads me to believe he wouldn't care about gender.

Both are equally canon in that they're not. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

18 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

His application of the concept see-saws a great deal. When it comes to Knuckles, indeed the entire Echyd'nya species? Yeah, he's making no effort. And then you have things like "The Princess of Acorn" and "Kintobor" mentioned in the backstory materials, along with the 'Blue Spined Erinacinae' and we have another stellar demonstration of his less than zero effort. Yet at the same time he's converted Rotor into a Rhino called 'The Emmissary', and he's mentioned that he is replacing Athair with a new, female character called Auri-On. 

It shows that he is not incapable of making an effort, just that he's painfully aware of what people ACTUALLY want, and is trying his damndest to do as little as possible when it comes to those specific areas. It's incredibly cynical, to say nothing of hypocritical. 

19 minutes ago, Alpineredoubt said:

Yes let’s do that

also that asexual thing with Ken I think he just made a homophobic tweet by calling sonic gay or something can someone verify on that with Ken being homophobic or something 

I've looked through the chain of replies on this, and no, there is nothing of KEn being homophobic. At most you can question why he would put 'gay' and 'asexual' as being on-par with promiscuity, but only if you squint. There is nothing here except Penders demonstrating his inability to comprehend that maybe, just MAYBE, not every character needs a love interest. I'm not sure where you got the idea of Penders saying something homophobic, but it's not to be found here, nor is it the job of anyone on this board to 'find' things for you. Likewise, and I cannot stress this enough- Do Not Make Stuff Up About Penders. The guy is legitimately guilty of many things, but that is not a good reason to accuse him of something he hasn't actually done. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

23 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

A lot of people think Sonic is Asexual because he isn't constantly hooking up or flirting.

Personally I view him as Pansexual because he doesn't seem to care about species (going off Elise) so that leads me to believe he wouldn't care about gender.

Word of God is that Sonic isn't into any of that because he literally is a boy at heart, and will forever be one:

tumblr_pjyfzeBmjA1reip2qo1_1280.png

Ignoring the Sonamy stuf, the key part here is the sentence "Sonniku was eien ni shonen no haato desu".

The way the original Sonic Team designed Sonic's character is for him to be a kid. He's not interested in romance because he is a boy who wants to do boy stuff like looking for adventures, fun and excitement and hanging with his best buddy. This is why I can't stand it when writers like Penders try to shoe in real-life stuff like him becoming sexually active, or altering his character into flirting with every chick he sees (I hated this in Archie since I don't think Sonic is the kind of people that would play with other's feelings nor is he someone dishonest) as I feel it's very disrespectful to the creator's original vision of the character. Same goes with "woke" people (often kids) who want to force their bloody LGBBQ identities or whatever they're called onto a character that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, horridus said:

His application of the concept see-saws a great deal. When it comes to Knuckles, indeed the entire Echyd'nya species? Yeah, he's making no effort. And then you have things like "The Princess of Acorn" and "Kintobor" mentioned in the backstory materials, along with the 'Blue Spined Erinacinae' and we have another stellar demonstration of his less than zero effort. Yet at the same time he's converted Rotor into a Rhino called 'The Emmissary', and he's mentioned that he is replacing Athair with a new, female character called Auri-On. 

It shows that he is not incapable of making an effort, just that he's painfully aware of what people ACTUALLY want, and is trying his damndest to do as little as possible when it comes to those specific areas. It's incredibly cynical, to say nothing of hypocritical. 

I've looked through the chain of replies on this, and no, there is nothing of KEn being homophobic. At most you can question why he would put 'gay' and 'asexual' as being on-par with promiscuity, but only if you squint. There is nothing here except Penders demonstrating his inability to comprehend that maybe, just MAYBE, not every character needs a love interest. I'm not sure where you got the idea of Penders saying something homophobic, but it's not to be found here, nor is it the job of anyone on this board to 'find' things for you. Likewise, and I cannot stress this enough- Do Not Make Stuff Up About Penders. The guy is legitimately guilty of many things, but that is not a good reason to accuse him of something he hasn't actually done. 

Ok I just wanted a second opinion on is this homophobic or not thanks for your understanding 

22 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Word of God is that Sonic isn't into any of that because he literally is a boy at heart, and will forever be one:

tumblr_pjyfzeBmjA1reip2qo1_1280.png

Ignoring the Sonamy stuf, the key part here is the sentence "Sonniku was eien ni shonen no haato desu".

The way the original Sonic Team designed Sonic's character is for him to be a kid. He's not interested in romance because he is a boy who wants to do boy stuff like looking for adventures, fun and excitement and hanging with his best buddy. This is why I can't stand it when writers like Penders try to shoe in real-life stuff like him becoming sexually active, or altering his character into flirting with every chick he sees (I hated this in Archie since I don't think Sonic is the kind of people that would play with other's feelings nor is he someone dishonest) as I feel it's very disrespectful to the creator's original vision of the character. Same goes with "woke" people (often kids) who want to force their bloody LGBBQ identities or whatever they're called onto a character that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

So sega was woke before sjw huh

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Or as one person said on his Twitter sonic is the first video game incel or something lol

1 hour ago, horridus said:

But Sonic isn't looking for a partner, nor was he ever... He has a free heart that, at least in this point of his life, never settles or slows for a moment. So, he doesn't have a girlfriend. Girls will chase after him, and he will return those feelings by admiring them as friends, but he doesn't stop to have a relationship, because that's not important to him when compared to being able to run with the wind.

He doesn't have to be a player or anything, Sonic is a young and free-willed spirit with a heart of gold, which is what I fell in love with. Just because Sonic doesn't have a girlfriend doesn't make him any less appealing.

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

I feel it's very disrespectful to the creator's original vision of the character. Same goes with "woke" people (often kids) who want to force their bloody LGBBQ identities or whatever they're called onto a character that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

What does this sentence even mean

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

But Sonic isn't looking for a partner, nor was he ever... He has a free heart that, at least in this point of his life, never settles or slows for a moment. So, he doesn't have a girlfriend. Girls will chase after him, and he will return those feelings by admiring them as friends, but he doesn't stop to have a relationship, because that's not important to him when compared to being able to run with the wind.

He doesn't have to be a player or anything, Sonic is a young and free-willed spirit with a heart of gold, which is what I fell in love with. Just because Sonic doesn't have a girlfriend doesn't make him any less appealing.

Keep in mind that it is unlikely any of this information was ever shared with the US branch of SEGA, and it certainly wasn't enforced when it came to the spinoff material. As such we've had multiple interpretations of Sonic, and in Archie, as in SatAM, he had a love interest. SEGA not bothering to consistently enforce the depiction on their mascot is ultimately their own fault, and ultimately, Sonic having a love interest in of itself is not a bad thing. 

That being said, there are in fact several things wrongheaded about Penders' statement here- at this stage of things he's been made more than aware of the fact that SEGA is not interested in pursuing this kind of story for their character, and he continuously refuses to really accept that this is in fact the wish of Sonic's owners. Likewise, there's the fact that Penders is one of those writers who thinks that characters 'need' a significant other in order to be interesting. It's ultimately less about what works for Sonic and more about Penders wishing for the character to be altered in order to suit his own tastes better. Finally, Penders has in fact given his own insights into what he interprets for Sonic, and oh boy, is it ever a disaster.

When you stop and think how Sega looks at the character, he's all ego and attitude. He thinks about number one. He can accept Tails because Tails is the subordinate junior assistant to his main act. He'd consider Sally nothing more than a fun to be with every now and then (if that) and a drag the rest of the time. His attitude towards Sally, and females in general, in probably much like that MTV-character in the movie She's All That. The way he ditches the girl is so Sonic-like. ("You think all I want to do is spend my life with you? That's cool and all, but I gotta go fight Robotnik! Later, babe!")

http://mokat01.tripod.com/storeroom/edgy.txt

Yeah. He can 'accept' Tails because Tails won't steal the spotlight from him, and essentially views Sally as more of a pleasant distraction than a significant other, let alone as a friend. 

It's easily the most scummy and mischaracterized take on Sonic yet, portraying him in essence as a vainglorious user of others who sees them in terms of how they can stroke his ego rather than anything substantial like companionship. Even the Fleetway take on Sonic isn't THIS odious, as despite his MANY personality flaws he at least genuinely cares about others, even if he's awful at showing it. This is also completely at odds with how Sonic is depicted in SatAM, with which this comic was meant to tie-in to. It is unique in how uniquely awful a take it is, and it is one that is entirely of Penders' own making. 

So keep this in mind- Penders really does not care about Sonic's characterization on it's own terms. Not as envisioned by Naoto Oshima, nor as envisioned by SatAM. It's all a part and parcel of his perpetual need to force characters into boxes that make them more palatable for him, and in the end, it's still him clinging desperately onto the only franchise that made him noteworthy while trying to twist it into what HE wants to the exclusion of all other things. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

16 minutes ago, horridus said:

Keep in mind that it is unlikely any of this information was ever shared with the US branch of SEGA, and it certainly wasn't enforced when it came to the spinoff material. As such we've had multiple interpretations of Sonic, and in Archie, as in SatAM, he had a love interest. SEGA not bothering to consistently enforce the depiction on their mascot is ultimately their own fault, and ultimately, Sonic having a love interest in of itself is not a bad thing. 

That being said, there are in fact several things wrongheaded about Penders' statement here- at this stage of things he's been made more than aware of the fact that SEGA is not interested in pursuing this kind of story for their character, and he continuously refuses to really accept that this is in fact the wish of Sonic's owners. Likewise, there's the fact that Penders is one of those writers who thinks that characters 'need' a significant other in order to be interesting. It's ultimately less about what works for Sonic and more about Penders wishing for the character to be altered in order to suit his own tastes better. Finally, Penders has in fact given his own insights into what he interprets for Sonic, and oh boy, is it ever a disaster.

http://mokat01.tripod.com/storeroom/edgy.txt

Yeah. He can 'accept' Tails because Tails won't steal the spotlight from him, and essentially views Sally as more of a pleasant distraction than a significant other, let alone as a friend. 

It's easily the most scummy and mischaracterized take on Sonic yet, portraying him in essence as a vainglorious user of others who sees them in terms of how they can stroke his ego rather than anything substantial like companionship. Even the Fleetway take on Sonic isn't THIS odious, as despite his MANY personality flaws he at least genuinely cares about others, even if he's awful at showing it. This is also completely at odds with how Sonic is depicted in SatAM, with which this comic was meant to tie-in to. It is unique in how uniquely awful a take it is, and it is one that is entirely of Penders' own making. 

So keep this in mind- Penders really does not care about Sonic's characterization on it's own terms. Not as envisioned by Naoto Oshima, nor as envisioned by SatAM. It's all a part and parcel of his perpetual need to force characters into boxes that make them more palatable for him, and in the end, it's still him clinging desperately onto the only franchise that made him noteworthy while trying to twist it into what HE wants to the exclusion of all other things. 

Marginally off topic, but I like how that txt file is called edgy. Strangely fitting given the subject.

Also the "stroke his ego" part makes Sonic sound like Eggman.

• Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Marginally off topic, but I like how that txt file is called edgy. Strangely fitting given the subject.

Also the "stroke his ego" part makes Sonic sound like Eggman.

Yeah if you ever wondered how Anti-Sonic was able to somehow impersonate Sonic so perfectly that NOBODY figured it out? It's because according to Penders, there doesn't seem to be any substantial difference between Sonic and his 'evil twin'. 

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Same goes with "woke" people (often kids) who want to force their bloody LGBBQ identities or whatever they're called onto a character that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

Yeah because how dare people headcanon a character they like a certain way because it makes you uncomfortable? 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

To give Bollers some credit I do kinda wonder how much the Love Triangle nonsense was pushed on him by Justin Gabrie? I've been reading the "ThanksKenPenders" Tumblr lately and she personally puts the blame on him so part of me really wonders if that's the case. 

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1