Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

To give Bollers some credit I do kinda wonder how much the Love Triangle nonsense was pushed on him by Justin Gabrie? I've been reading the "ThanksKenPenders" Tumblr lately and she personally puts the blame on him so part of me really wonders if that's the case. 

Was  Justin Garbe known for such things?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, Kellodrawsalot said:

Penders is not a troll, dont try to downplay the actions of his comments by treating it like he is trolling. It was also well known that he has hang-ups about asexuality before. Its just a little insulting and a bit funny since the man always claims he is progressive when it comes to minorities and different sexualies. This is the same man who was proudly saying he was the first to have a gay character in the comic book (Rotor) and that he was the only one who hired women to work on the book. 

He says the asexuals are not understandable because they end their genetic line. Isnt that the same for LGBT who he claims to defend?

I called him a troll because it's such an enraging comment, either he's playing dumb, or he's really that dumb.

• Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

He says the asexuals are not understandable because they end their genetic line. Isnt that the same for LGBT who he claims to defend?

Oh, boy this is going in a great direction. 

Surrogates are a thing dude. 

• Nice Smile 1

Gonna talk about shadow for a bit, because I think its interesting in this context .

That statement explains so many things, like that time shadow IIRC is going through this emotional time , questioning who he is as a person and the only thing ken pnders thought of sonic to say is " You should get laid " . Not to mention the bad love angles that no one cared about, the the actual assault that took place and everything else with scourge, what he did with rouge , ect ect.

It might explain why the guy had to be forced by sega to use the character. Shadow is a character, from the outset who for the most part , outside of .... sparce instances does not show anything close to anything that would be a romantic interest in anyone, he might have legitimately not understood the character. He might not be actually be able to comprehend a character who just wants to do non romantic things.

Its things like these where I have no issue with the new book wanting to stay far away from that.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

34 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Oh, boy this is going in a great direction. 

Surrogates are a thing dude. 

He still shouldn't judge people for who they are regardless

• Fist Bump 1

14 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

But Sonic isn't looking for a partner, nor was he ever... He has a free heart that, at least in this point of his life, never settles or slows for a moment. So, he doesn't have a girlfriend. Girls will chase after him, and he will return those feelings by admiring them as friends, but he doesn't stop to have a relationship, because that's not important to him when compared to being able to run with the wind.

He doesn't have to be a player or anything, Sonic is a young and free-willed spirit with a heart of gold, which is what I fell in love with. Just because Sonic doesn't have a girlfriend doesn't make him any less appealing.

Ken is virtue signaling 

5 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Ken Penders might not be homophobic but he is making some pretty wth a  asexualphobic comments

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1127483179319697408

What on Earth does he have against asexuals??

Like I said he said something anti homosexually or just antilgbtq

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

This guy is just a troll who wants attention.

Who else asks these dumb questions?

Only a moron would ask these questions 

4 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Penders is not a troll, dont try to downplay the actions of his comments by treating it like he is trolling. It was also well known that he has hang-ups about asexuality before. Its just a little insulting and a bit funny since the man always claims he is progressive when it comes to minorities and different sexualies. This is the same man who was proudly saying he was the first to have a gay character in the comic book (Rotor) and that he was the only one who hired women to work on the book. 

Yeah he is just unprofessional 

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I called him a troll because it's such an enraging comment, either he's playing dumb, or he's really that dumb.

Dammit Ken 

4 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

oh I understand, I just think he is that ignorant. He said he understood why straight/bi/gay people choose not to have children but he doesn't get why asexuals dont want to have children. I think the lack of sex-drive is a wild concept to him?

Yeah he is that ignorant 

36 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

He still shouldn't judge people for who they are regardless

Yeah he should not done that

15 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Word of God is that Sonic isn't into any of that because he literally is a boy at heart, and will forever be one:

tumblr_pjyfzeBmjA1reip2qo1_1280.png

Ignoring the Sonamy stuf, the key part here is the sentence "Sonniku was eien ni shonen no haato desu".

The way the original Sonic Team designed Sonic's character is for him to be a kid. He's not interested in romance because he is a boy who wants to do boy stuff like looking for adventures, fun and excitement and hanging with his best buddy. This is why I can't stand it when writers like Penders try to shoe in real-life stuff like him becoming sexually active, or altering his character into flirting with every chick he sees (I hated this in Archie since I don't think Sonic is the kind of people that would play with other's feelings nor is he someone dishonest) as I feel it's very disrespectful to the creator's original vision of the character. Same goes with "woke" people (often kids) who want to force their bloody LGBBQ identities or whatever they're called onto a character that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

Dammit ken

13 hours ago, Diogenes said:

In fairness to Penders (though likely more than he deserves) it's not entirely unreasonable to question how the designers mean for a character to come off regarding an issue they've never really addressed. 

...really says something when you manage to out-scum Ken Penders on an issue.

Yeah Ken is scum

13 hours ago, horridus said:

Yeah if you ever wondered how Anti-Sonic was able to somehow impersonate Sonic so perfectly that NOBODY figured it out? It's because according to Penders, there doesn't seem to be any substantial difference between Sonic and his 'evil twin'. 

Are you kidding me?

13 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Marginally off topic, but I like how that txt file is called edgy. Strangely fitting given the subject.

Also the "stroke his ego" part makes Sonic sound like Eggman.

Well he is the real life eggman

14 hours ago, horridus said:

Keep in mind that it is unlikely any of this information was ever shared with the US branch of SEGA, and it certainly wasn't enforced when it came to the spinoff material. As such we've had multiple interpretations of Sonic, and in Archie, as in SatAM, he had a love interest. SEGA not bothering to consistently enforce the depiction on their mascot is ultimately their own fault, and ultimately, Sonic having a love interest in of itself is not a bad thing. 

That being said, there are in fact several things wrongheaded about Penders' statement here- at this stage of things he's been made more than aware of the fact that SEGA is not interested in pursuing this kind of story for their character, and he continuously refuses to really accept that this is in fact the wish of Sonic's owners. Likewise, there's the fact that Penders is one of those writers who thinks that characters 'need' a significant other in order to be interesting. It's ultimately less about what works for Sonic and more about Penders wishing for the character to be altered in order to suit his own tastes better. Finally, Penders has in fact given his own insights into what he interprets for Sonic, and oh boy, is it ever a disaster.

http://mokat01.tripod.com/storeroom/edgy.txt

Yeah. He can 'accept' Tails because Tails won't steal the spotlight from him, and essentially views Sally as more of a pleasant distraction than a significant other, let alone as a friend. 

It's easily the most scummy and mischaracterized take on Sonic yet, portraying him in essence as a vainglorious user of others who sees them in terms of how they can stroke his ego rather than anything substantial like companionship. Even the Fleetway take on Sonic isn't THIS odious, as despite his MANY personality flaws he at least genuinely cares about others, even if he's awful at showing it. This is also completely at odds with how Sonic is depicted in SatAM, with which this comic was meant to tie-in to. It is unique in how uniquely awful a take it is, and it is one that is entirely of Penders' own making. 

So keep this in mind- Penders really does not care about Sonic's characterization on it's own terms. Not as envisioned by Naoto Oshima, nor as envisioned by SatAM. It's all a part and parcel of his perpetual need to force characters into boxes that make them more palatable for him, and in the end, it's still him clinging desperately onto the only franchise that made him noteworthy while trying to twist it into what HE wants to the exclusion of all other things. 

Ken is not a true sonic fan

14 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

What does this sentence even mean

IDK

14 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

But Sonic isn't looking for a partner, nor was he ever... He has a free heart that, at least in this point of his life, never settles or slows for a moment. So, he doesn't have a girlfriend. Girls will chase after him, and he will return those feelings by admiring them as friends, but he doesn't stop to have a relationship, because that's not important to him when compared to being able to run with the wind.

He doesn't have to be a player or anything, Sonic is a young and free-willed spirit with a heart of gold, which is what I fell in love with. Just because Sonic doesn't have a girlfriend doesn't make him any less appealing.

Ken doesn’t know how relationships work

12 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The thing that's ridiculous about what Penders said - beyond the fact that it's perfectly fine for Sonic not to be in a relationship - is that it's another example of him stupidly trying to push his version of Sonic onto what the canon version should be.

Because if you recall - not only was Penders!era Sonic the most infamous for the total love garbage, him and Bollers being the ones to introduce Sally, Geoffrey, Fiona (as well as the love triangles involved with them all), and such. In fact, his milestone 150 issue was literally a garbage tier story about Evil Sonic replacing Sonic on Mobius, and being so cool that he can hook up with - in no short order - Amy, Rouge, Bunnie, Fiona, and Mina, and fundamentally rewrites Mina's personality while doing so in order to heighten his own version of Sonic. 

So to me really, it sounds like another sad excuse to go off about why his version of Sonic is better.

He’s should of stop 

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Was  Justin Garbe known for such things?

I don’t know

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

To give Bollers some credit I do kinda wonder how much the Love Triangle nonsense was pushed on him by Justin Gabrie? I've been reading the "ThanksKenPenders" Tumblr lately and she personally puts the blame on him so part of me really wonders if that's the case. 

13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah because how dare people headcanon a character they like a certain way because it makes you uncomfortable? 

#sarcasm also you read that blog 2?

12 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The thing that's ridiculous about what Penders said - beyond the fact that it's perfectly fine for Sonic not to be in a relationship - is that it's another example of him stupidly trying to push his version of Sonic onto what the canon version should be.

Because if you recall - not only was Penders!era Sonic the most infamous for the total love garbage, him and Bollers being the ones to introduce Sally, Geoffrey, Fiona (as well as the love triangles involved with them all), and such. In fact, his milestone 150 issue was literally a garbage tier story about Evil Sonic replacing Sonic on Mobius, and being so cool that he can hook up with - in no short order - Amy, Rouge, Bunnie, Fiona, and Mina, and fundamentally rewrites Mina's personality while doing so in order to heighten his own version of Sonic. 

So to me really, it sounds like another sad excuse to go off about why his version of Sonic is better.

He should just stopped 

14 hours ago, horridus said:

Yeah if you ever wondered how Anti-Sonic was able to somehow impersonate Sonic so perfectly that NOBODY figured it out? It's because according to Penders, there doesn't seem to be any substantial difference between Sonic and his 'evil twin'. 

To be fair to ken, and I'm not fond of doing that, that's not uncommon. In the sense that one's evil twin, isn't the opposite of them , rather their personality turned into an evil direction. The Persona Series is a series that does this exact thing sometimes dubbing it " The true self " .  So Evil Sonic, Scourge or whatever being sonic, but having all his personality traits turned into the dick direction is normal and that type of character would feasibly more than anyone else be able to impersonate the other version of themselves. Because its just them twisted in another direction. Its something Ian Flynn delved into himself, with scourge suggesting that difference between him and sonic is just a single bad day. Its pretty open philosophy on the nature of being, that the only thing separating you from someone you might not like is circumstance rather than some ingrained character that one person has over the other.

For example, in a hypothetical. Alt universe evil shadow, would not be the opposite of shadow, he would most likely have the bluntness, callousness  , determination, indomitable will, stubbornness ect that shadow has but all of those traits would be used for evil means. And given that he and shadow would likely have the same personality just on a different tilt, impersonating that type of person seems relatively easy. And any minor differences in character can just be brushed off as " Oh maybe he's having a bad day " or something

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair to ken, and I'm not fond of doing that, that's not uncommon. In the sense that one's evil twin, isn't the opposite of them , rather their personality turned into an evil direction. The Persona Series is a series that does this exact thing sometimes dubbing it " The true self " .  So Evil Sonic, Scourge or whatever being sonic, but having all his personality traits turned into the dick direction is normal and that type of character would feasibly more than anyone else be able to impersonate the other version of themselves. Because its just them twisted in another direction. Its something Ian Flynn delved into himself, with scourge suggesting that difference between him and sonic is just a single bad day. Its pretty open philosophy on the nature of being, that the only thing separating you from someone you might not like is circumstance rather than some ingrained character that one person has over the other.

For example, in a hypothetical. Alt universe evil shadow, would not be the opposite of shadow, he would most likely have the bluntness, callousness  , determination, indomitable will, stubbornness ect that shadow has but all of those traits would be used for evil means. And given that he and shadow would likely have the same personality just on a different tilt, impersonating that type of person seems relatively easy. And any minor differences in character can just be brushed off as " Oh maybe he's having a bad day " or something

Of that, I am aware. The problem I am pointing out, by his own words, is that Penders' particular 'vision' for Sonic doesn't seem to be different at all from his SUPPOSED evil twin- 

When you stop and think how Sega looks at the character, he's all ego and attitude. He thinks about number one. He can accept Tails because Tails is the subordinate junior assistant to his main act. He'd consider Sally nothing more than a fun to be with every now and then (if that) and a drag the rest of the time. His attitude towards Sally, and females in general, in probably much like that MTV-character in the movie She's All That. The way he ditches the girl is so Sonic-like. ("You think all I want to do is spend my life with you? That's cool and all, but I gotta go fight Robotnik! Later, babe!")

The issue is not that his Evil Twin is 'similar but twisted to evil'. That's pretty standard. No, the problem is that  as Penders himself envisions it, Sonic is already so loathsome on his own that there doesn't seem to be any FUNCTIONAL differences between himself and his evil twin. You see how THAT can be a bit of a problem from a characterization standpoint? To say nothing of how badly this mischaracterizes Sonic on virtually every level imaginable? I mean for crying out loud, he's suggesting that even his friendship with TAILS is based more upon the needs of his ego than anything genuine. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, horridus said:

Of that, I am aware. The problem I am pointing out, by his own words, is that Penders' particular 'vision' for Sonic doesn't seem to be different at all from his SUPPOSED evil twin- 

The issue is not that his Evil Twin is 'similar but twisted to evil'. That's pretty standard. No, the problem is that  as Penders himself envisions it, Sonic is already so loathsome on his own that there doesn't seem to be any FUNCTIONAL differences between himself and his evil twin. You see how THAT can be a bit of a problem from a characterization standpoint? To say nothing of how badly this mischaracterizes Sonic on virtually every level imaginable? I mean for crying out loud, he's suggesting that even his friendship with TAILS is based more upon the needs of his ego than anything genuine. 

I didn't know that part. But to be honest i'm not surprised. And honestly, he got every character wrong. But yeah I see your point

• Chuckle 1

“If more people took that attitude, where would we be as a people?”

...well, in this day and age, we’d be better off. Overpopulation is still very much a problem last I checked.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

It's like he gets worse and worse by the day.

16 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

...well, in this day and age, we’d be better off. Overpopulation is still very much a problem last I checked.

Not to mention sexuality or lack thereof isn't an "attitude" one can just.. choose to take.

There's more to life than kids, it's not like most people spend a very high amount of time thinking mechanically about how they're going to continue the species, straight or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

With those tweet, Ken feels like a man from 1888 halfway trying to climatize to the 21st century and failing miserably.  I've never seen a person make try hard at being progressive, yet at the same time keeps being backwards.  One moment, supporting other sexual preferences, then saying characters are only defined by relationships and should focus on having children.  The hell kinda thinking is this?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

Like, I don't like to make sweeping assumptions about people, but why does Penders trying to be progressive always sound so fucking disingenuous? Between selectively choosing which types of identity groups or minorities it's "still okay" to """"""criticize"""""" and his own attempts at writing women just being complete misogynistic hogwash and his supposed gay characters being hidden to the point of nonexistence (thanks robotnikholmes and thankskenpenders for refreshing me on these comics so I don't have to read them myself), it seems like he's just faking progressiveness to appear as if he's "#a #hip #and #woke #ally #my #good #fam", like Hillary Clinton but worse. But she was doing it for the votes! Badly, but still! Penders has no end goal! He can't be doing it for sales, because nobody wants to buy from him because he's an asshole! Good politics don't make you a good person, especially when they're your only selling point. He's never going to get this shitty comic out, and I think he knows this, because if he does SEGA is way more likely to get up and sue his ass for selling obvious Sonic ripoff characters. I have no idea what he thinks he's doing otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

1 minute ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Like, I don't like to make sweeping assumptions about people, but why does Penders trying to be progressive always sound so fucking disingenuous? Between selectively choosing which types of identity groups or minorities it's "still okay" to """"""criticize"""""" and his own attempts at writing women just being complete misogynistic hogwash and his supposed gay characters being hidden to the point of nonexistence (thanks robotnikholmes and thankskenpenders for refreshing me on these comics so I don't have to read them myself), it seems like he's just faking progressiveness to appear as if he's "#a #hip #and #woke #ally #my #good #fam", like Hillary Clinton but worse. But she was doing it for the votes! Badly, but still! Penders has no end goal! He can't be doing it for sales, because nobody wants to buy from him because he's an asshole! Good politics don't make you a good person, especially when they're your only selling point. He's never going to get this shitty comic out, and I think he knows this, because if he does SEGA is way more likely to get up and sue his ass for selling obvious Sonic ripoff characters. I have no idea what he thinks he's doing otherwise.

I just chalked it up to a severe lack of self-awareness.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Mr Silvia said:

I go off the internet for 36 hours and this happens? 

A lot can happen in one hour, let alone thirty-six. Yeah, it's been... well, nauseating, frankly. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I think it sorta helps that Sonic himself is already rather cocky, rebellious, and adventurous.

9 hours ago, horridus said:

Well, since Penders posted that last nugget about Sonic and relationships, might as well clarify some of the other stuff he said in conjunction to that, and oh boy, is it ever a DOOZY.

Valiant effort there, @Adamis, but I don't think he's gonna get the message. That bit about the 'family line' is practically medieval.

Oh wow, that last sentence really is a pothole.

8 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Ch'yeah. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1