Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On 5/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, Skull Leader said:

Word of God is that Sonic isn't into any of that because he literally is a boy at heart, and will forever be one:

tumblr_pjyfzeBmjA1reip2qo1_1280.png

Ignoring the Sonamy stuf, the key part here is the sentence "Sonniku was eien ni shonen no haato desu".

The way the original Sonic Team designed Sonic's character is for him to be a kid. He's not interested in romance because he is a boy who wants to do boy stuff like looking for adventures, fun and excitement and hanging with his best buddy. 

Oh. So he's like Peter Pan. That's cool.

. . .

I think I understand Sonic and Amy so much more, thinking in terms of Peter and Wendy.

Tails so much more, in terms of a Lost Boy following Pan.

Robotnik and Hook, with his fatalistic obsession and alter-ego father figure connection (Kintobar, Mr. Darling).

And Knuckles... well, I think that course was played out by the time Knuckles came. (shrug)

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Oh. So he's like Peter Pan. That's cool.

. . .

I think I understand Sonic and Amy so much more, thinking in terms of Peter and Wendy.

Tails so much more, in terms of a Lost Boy following Pan.

Robotnik and Hook, with his fatalistic obsession and alter-ego father figure connection (Kintobar, Mr. Darling).

And Knuckles... well, I think that course was played out by the time Knuckles came. (shrug)

Amy seems like Tinkerbell to me

• Chuckle 2

As a writer, i always ask myself "who do character fuck?" Ask any writer and they'll tell you, they always do several drafts exploring their character's sex having from all angles. Does this character work better as a gay, an asexual, is he a player??? I have hundreds of documents in my filing cabinet, each one exploring that great question. Anyway, I just moved in across the street and by law I have to inform you that I am a registered sex offender.

Edit: Oh my god that one about how asexual characters are "less interesting." It really tells you what kind of writer Ken is that the only layer of depth worth caring about with a character is whether they're sexually attracted to someone and who specifically they're attracted to.

Double edit: Hey by the way to be perfectly clear I'm not saying Ken is a sex pervert but this is a really creepy question to pose about a children's cartoon character who is also in his mid-teens and described as being perpetually young. I am playing it up for ~comedic effect~

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Just thought I'd pop in and show my two cents on this take. He has responded to me but it's not great.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 3

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

As a writer, i always ask myself "who do character fuck?" Ask any writer and they'll tell you, they always do several drafts exploring their character's sex having from all angles. Does this character work better as a gay, an asexual, is he a player??? I have hundreds of documents in my filing cabinet, each one exploring that great question. Anyway, I just moved in across the street and by law I have to inform you that I am a registered sex offender.

Edit: Oh my god that one about how asexual characters are "less interesting." It really tells you what kind of writer Ken is that the only layer of depth worth caring about with a character is whether they're sexually attracted to someone and who specifically they're attracted to.

Yes Mr. Penders, that's what fanfics are for.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

I can't believe this Penders asshole. Those tweets are out of this world and a blemish on the series.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

Aaand we have a tiny LSC update. Oh, nothing as substantial as a new page, but that "Dr. Zephyr" has been sketched out.

Though I wish to God he hadn't been. God, I mistook the collar of his outfit as being his neck folds...!

You know, as a side note, but I cannot help but feel that this guy exists purely because Dr. Starline is enjoying a great deal of popularity thanks to IDW. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 2
  • Absolutely 6

Ken really needs to stop giving his characters four fingers. There’s a reason they were invented for use on cartoony characters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

13 hours ago, horridus said:

Aaand we have a tiny LSC update. Oh, nothing as substantial as a new page, but that "Dr. Zephyr" has been sketched out.

Though I wish to God he hadn't been. God, I mistook the collar of his outfit as being his neck folds...!

You know, as a side note, but I cannot help but feel that this guy exists purely because Dr. Starline is enjoying a great deal of popularity thanks to IDW. 

Criminy, those eyes!

Still, good on him for involving a member of the Felidae. Though it does make me wonder about where this character falls morality-wise.

Also, is that an N on his forehead?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...why am I getting the feeling that he's trying to reference Harry Potter.

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

...why am I getting the feeling that he's trying to reference Harry Potter.

Well, I suppose better that than what I was thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Ken Penders apparently said in a tweet response that he wrote the greatest storyline in Sonic's history. (Endgame)

I just can not with this man

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 3

3 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Ken Penders apparently said in a tweet response that he wrote the greatest storyline in Sonic's history. (Endgame)

Has Sonic really had that many storylines to warrant such a claim?

• Fist Bump 1

20 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Has Sonic really had that many storylines to warrant such a claim?

He's been going for nearly 30 years now, so there have been a lot of stories.

Endgame might have been the best one to date, and even then, that would require me checking the calendar.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm pretty sure it's nothing, it just looks like he drew the shading of the hairline particularly badly. To me, it looks like the overly shaded end of a stand of hair. If you look closely, you can see a strand of hair poking out of the piece of hair that resembles a scar/N. 

Sonic's had more than enough to warrant such a claim. The problem is that Ken Penders is an egotistical man who doesn't read others' stories, and thinks his work is the best work. It'd be one thing if he said Endgame is the best of what he did for Sonic, but best overall? Yeah fucking right.

Ian's worst work is still about 50 times better than Endgame. Hell, at least the likes of Iron Dominion still had an interesting story, and had the characters actually in-character. Endgame had everyone get hit with the idioticy ball as they believed Sonic is capable of murder, capable of murdering someone he loved, and the only reason anyone stops believing that is because dragons now suddenly have magical truth detection abilities (never brought up before). This is coming from the man who also believes he should own Knuckles because "his stories brought value to the character". 

As for what are actually the best storylines IMO, I'd like to point you towards Eggman Empire (174-177), Scrambled (SU 37-41), Champions (268-271), Control (264-267). Lead-up and aftermath of Genesis (219-224 and 230-235 retrospectively ) are also excellent, not sure if I'd qualify them as best though.

And that's not even getting into other media...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

He's been going for nearly 30 years now, so there have been a lot of stories.

Oh, I know there's a lot of stories. I was just questioning the specific term storyline, which implies cohesive serialization.

• My Emmerdoods 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Nah, it's just some texturing of the fur that looks a bit like it, nothing more. 

37 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Penders? Tooting his own horn? Shock and horror. This is so very out of character for a man normally defined by his humility and ability to give due credit to his peers on the book. Whatever is the world coming to?

In seriousness, don't pay it any mind. If he really thinks his ripoff of The Fugitive is THE best storyline in the history of the comic, then it's just another sign of his inability/refusal to move past the 90s. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 minutes ago, horridus said:

In seriousness, don't pay it any mind. If he really thinks his ripoff of The Fugitive is THE best storyline, then just take it as further evidence of how much of a dumbass he really is. 

At this rate, I'm surprised he isn't claiming the Russos read Endgame, and loved his storytelling so much that they used Endgame as the title of the final Avengers movie as an unofficial tribute. 

Or y'know, claiming Avengers Endgame ripped him off. Both are equally ridiculous yet equally in-line with PendersLogic. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

45 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Lol, I guess the dude forgot that there was more than one writer for the Endgame saga. 👀 Both Gallagher and Bollers had a hand in the build-up issues and the proper #50. Then again, Penders isn't above diminishing the importance of other writers on the book...

• Nice Smile 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

6 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

Lol, I guess the dude forgot that there was more than one writer for the Endgame saga. 👀 Both Gallagher and Bollers had a hand in the build-up issues and the proper #50. Then again, Penders isn't above diminishing the importance of other writers on the book...

Oh that's right, the Downunda Freedom Fighters were Gallagher's. What did Mr. Bollers do though?

• Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

someone tweeted at him that there are better more beloved arcs in the books and they mention stuff by Bollers and the Post-Reboot arcs. Penders said that all those arcs were build up from Endgame...like how does he know that when he flat out addmited he never read any of the other works?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

13 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

someone tweeted at him that there are better more beloved arcs in the books and they mention stuff by Bollers and the Post-Reboot arcs. Penders said that all those arcs were build up from Endgame...like how does he know that when he flat out addmited he never read any of the other works?

...What?

39 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

At this rate, I'm surprised he isn't claiming the Russos read Endgame, and loved his storytelling so much that they used Endgame as the title of the final Avengers movie as an unofficial tribute. 

Or y'know, claiming Avengers Endgame ripped him off. Both are equally ridiculous yet equally in-line with PendersLogic. 

Speaking of which, when did Black Panther as a comic come out?

• Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Speaking of which, when did Black Panther as a comic come out?

July 1966 is when the character was introduced into Fantastic Four before getting his own comic.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

July 1966 is when the character was introduced into Fantastic Four before getting his own comic.

Woah, him too?

• Fist Bump 1

45 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Can't tell if you're being facetious, since he more or less did precisely that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1