Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

And in the category of 'updates that are not updates'...

Yeah, this is basically a slightly altered variation of the last shirt he released. And you know, it's not the fact that the designs are ugly that gets me. Nor is it the fact the layout is dull and the logo is tacky as hell. It's the fact that he STILL can't get it to blend in with the shirt. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Ken, in my experience of printing shirts, its easier not to work with black. Do white, much easier to blend. Another thing is never put too much text on a shirt, can look cluttered, unless its the main focus (like a shirt I have of wibbly wobbly timey wimey).

Also, why is Xero just photobombing the picture?

• Thumbs Up 7

I always wanted a T-shirt that looked like a banner ad got accidentally printed on it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 5

7 hours ago, horridus said:

Yeah, this is basically a slightly altered variation of the last shirt he released. And you know, it's not the fact that the designs are ugly that gets me. Nor is it the fact the layout is dull and the logo is tacky as hell. It's the fact that he STILL can't get it to blend in with the shirt. 

Lol, it looks like one of those adverts you'd see dumped at the bottom of webpages. Like, exactly that but just lifted onto a blank shirt.

Edit: Ah I'm sorry Rabid-Coot, I basically came to the same conclusion as you did. 😛

• Nice Smile 1

Why does Lara-Su seem to be fading into the darkness a lot more than her mum and aunt?

1 minute ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Why does Lara-Su seem to be fading into the darkness a lot more than her mum and aunt?

I'm sure Ken would try and say because she is at a point in her life where she could fall to the darkness blah blah blah. When in reality, Lara Su is a bit player in her own book.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, horridus said:

Oooh, we're doing Social Darwinism, are we?  Okaaaaay!

1 hour ago, Paul-Agnew said:

Eh. Their first album was better.

811RlXYoNfL._SY355_.jpg

:lol

9 hours ago, horridus said:

Oh, My God Release the Goddamn Book! It has been 7 years! There should be some progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Paul-Agnew said:

Eh. Their first album was better.

811RlXYoNfL._SY355_.jpg

*eyerub* Of course. Ooof course it would be a flippin' reference to something else. 

You know, I was too busy 'marveling' at the shirt design to really take notice, but the actual comment of that tweet is... really robotic. 

"Currently getting pricing from reputable manufacturers of quality product". Like, seriously, who phrases things like this??

...Ken Penders, evidently. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Is there a reason the picture has to be in an ugly black box on top of an already black shirt? Like, if they're fading into the darkness anyway, why not just do that? You can still have the ugly white banner sitting above them right?

Is it because without that black box, the full effect of it looking like an album cover would be lost? If this were a comic cover would you put them in a black box on top of a black canvas for the cover to simulate the album then?

I know this sounds nitpicky but it's really off-putting because it makes it look unnecessarily more cheap than it already does by virtue of being LARA-SU CHRONICLES IN ALL-CAPS merchandise. 

I'm not even saying to not put characters in a box on your shirt but the box is already black. It bugs the fuck out of me. 

• Thumbs Up 5

47 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Is there a reason the picture has to be in an ugly black box on top of an already black shirt? Like, if they're fading into the darkness anyway, why not just do that? You can still have the ugly white banner sitting above them right?

Is it because without that black box, the full effect of it looking like an album cover would be lost? If this were a comic cover would you put them in a black box on top of a black canvas for the cover to simulate the album then?

I know this sounds nitpicky but it's really off-putting because it makes it look unnecessarily more cheap than it already does by virtue of being LARA-SU CHRONICLES IN ALL-CAPS merchandise. 

I'm not even saying to not put characters in a box on your shirt but the box is already black. It bugs the fuck out of me. 

This is something that regularly happens when people print shirts. They think "I have a black background, it'll naturally blend in with a black t-shirt". He's whipped up the design and put it on a shirt without thinking that they may be 2 completely different shades of black. It just shows Ken is an amateur at it, I'd even say he's an amateur at colour.

EDIT: Just looked at his replies, he is aware of it and is going to make it blend. I don't trust him but its a plus point. Though he then makes a joke that he can take critiscism so is instantly taken off him.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

This is something that regularly happens when people print shirts. They think "I have a black background, it'll naturally blend in with a black t-shirt". He's whipped up the design and put it on a shirt without thinking that they may be 2 completely different shades of black. It just shows Ken is an amateur at it, I'd even say he's an amateur at colour.

EDIT: Just looked at his replies, he is aware of it and is going to make it blend. I don't trust him but its a plus point. Though he then makes a joke that he can take critiscism so is instantly taken off him.

He's a writer, not a designer. 

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

You're probably right. That said, I can totally see him doing it on purpose because he thought it looked better this way.

I can't put that past anyone who draws characters who look like this and thinks they look good.

I'm in the middle of reviewing some of his early work for Archie and despite his art not being all that great there, it's amazing how much its turned to utter slop. He doesn't even realize it. He's putting it on a shirt! 

I could put my Sonic art on a shirt and it'd probably sell better actually. 

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

He's a writer who doesn't write anything and is busy only designing stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

He's also an artist, has been drawing comic books for years in the past, and even did some storyboarding for an animation show at one point. He's planning to draw The Lara-Su comic all by himself.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

and even did some storyboarding for an animation show at one point.

He did? What show?

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

If he wants to colour in his books, he needs to learn there is more than one colour shade. He's insulted inkers for years yet he has to be told that two colours aren't the same?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

He's a writer who doesn't write anything and is busy only designing stuff. 

And look where that's gotten us.

4 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

He's also an artist, has been drawing comic books for years in the past, and even did some storyboarding for an animation show at one point. He's planning to draw The Lara-Su comic all by himself.

Oh really, he's done that much?

Huh.

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

If he wants to colour in his books, he needs to learn there is more than one colour shade. He's insulted inkers for years yet he has to be told that two colours aren't the same?

I mean, inkers don't color the pages, just solidifies the outlines of the pencil.

Christ, I wonder what sort of reaction these might get in a goodwill. Not even trying to be mean here, let's say Ken's merchandise sells decently, sooner or later, some of these shirts are going to end up being resold and/or donated. Imagine that in 10-15 years, random people, who have never heard about of any of this, are going to be seeing these shirts and other TLSC merch, I wonder what they will think... (Probably that it's sketchy AF or ugly or whatever, but still...)

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

He did? What show?

If I am not mistaken, King of the Hill. but only like a few episodes(?)

10 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

That explains so much.

19 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

That explains Julie-Su's design.

No shirt with St John on the cover, boasting about plowing a 16 year old princess? I'm sure that would fly off the shelves.