Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Boy. If there was ever any doubt (all but impossible at this point) about what Penders REALLY wanted to be working on, this kinda obliterates it. 

I mean really, the man constantly whines about the crap that gets slung his way over how closely he's tried to maintain the Knuckles connection, insists on the originality of his work, and then... boom. Art that demands people pay attention to the Knuckles connection. 

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 8

Honestly, the most depressing part is while that art of Knuckles looks completely off, the line-art at least of Lara and Julie from their Archie designs looks pretty good for once. And then you have their disgusting TL-SC designs behind them, almost as a painful reminder of "I hope you didn't like these characters because look what I'm doin' to them now!"

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Absolutely 2

And it would seem there was a more significant update- a preview of the app proper. 

In the name of fairness I should point out that those are stock voices from a computer, so you can't blame their terribleness on Penders. 

...though the likelihood of whoever he hires to do the voice roles being much better is slim to nonexistent. 

Soo yeah, feast your eyes... at the motion comic... of the PREVIEW that he has been working on for eight years... with no actual sign of the PROPER book being anywhere near complete in sight. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

2 minutes ago, horridus said:

And it would seem there was a more significant update- a preview of the app proper. 

In the name of fairness I should point out that those are stock voices from a computer, so you can't blame their terribleness on Penders. 

...though the likelihood of whoever he hires to do the voice roles being much better is slim to nonexistent. 

Soo yeah, feast your eyes... at the motion comic... of the PREVIEW that he has been working on for eight years... with no actual sign of the PROPER book being anywhere near complete in sight. 

That's the "groundbreaking comic app" he's been building up for years as being better than everything else on the market??

Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on the thing that's never been done before! Motion Comics - now only ten years late to the party after Marvel and DC had them on Netflix and Amazon Prime!

also that art is a big fucking yikes, like goodness that is hideous, and the panel layout is atrocious. 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I don't know what's worse.

A cynical drawing that justifies every criticism Penders has gotten about riding the Sonic series' coattails despite saying otherwise.

Or what an eyesore those pages are. At the very least he could find another colorist.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

A cynical drawing that justifies every criticism Penders has gotten about riding the Sonic series' coattails despite saying otherwise.

Or what an eyesore those pages are. At the very least he could find another colorist.

tenor.gif

The irony of this is honestly far, far too much. I really genuinely don't know how he can unironically claim that Fuckles is an original character do not steal at this point. It's like he's just sub-consciously admitting the blatant stealing at this point, or genuinely trying to bait SEGA into hitting him with a cease and desist.

• Chuckle 7

10 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I keep saying this- the guy REALLY needs to ditch digital coloring and inking and shading. Like, he's much better at all these things with the traditional methods. I wouldn't call his art good, but it is WAY more pleasing to the eye BEFORE he applies all the digital crap. The fact he insists on doing it this way despite it clearly not being his strength is just baffling. 

Then again so is everything else, but this is one of those things he could fix WAY more easily than the other things wrong with his work. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

I am so perplexed d on how I should be taking from this. 

Wow. Just wow. Even without the unfinished computer voices used for a stand in (Dear God I hope those are just place holders) this still looks just positively awful.

It's so stilted and the art is...well the art. It's just so unpleasant to look at. 

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's the "groundbreaking comic app" he's been building up for years as being better than everything else on the market??

Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on the thing that's never been done before! Motion Comics - now only ten years late to the party after Marvel and DC had them on Netflix and Amazon Prime!

also that art is a big fucking yikes, like goodness that is hideous, and the panel layout is atrocious. 

Pretty sure I got one for my DVD player when those were still a relatively new thing.

Someone mentioned Ken used Star trek sound effects,

Sorry Ken this is not going to be a game changer

Bit of an update : he contacted me on Twitter telling me he'll send me soon (ish) some new, up-to-date translation work once he get everything organized. And he'll send me one of his t-shirts. So I'm still translating the comic ;)

*sees preview* Ouch @ K'nox's face.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

May i propose a third option in combination with option 1, his continued screaming into the void trying to lay claim to some sort of legitimacy over a franchise , due to his own meddling has long since left him and and some other elements behind. And not only does his yelling make that process faster, and possibly ensure than not only his works but things related to his tenure never show up again. For the people making the new product... seems like a net gain.

So he wasted time and probably money and connections trying to obtain characters that ultimately in the grand scheme of things will be forgotten fairly quickly just due to newer fans and a lot of old ones not being exposed or not being fond of the comics. And because of these gradually loosening connections has to make cynical drawings like above to justify these characters existence. Despite throwing a legal temper tantrum to separate them.

And whilst floating away on his shakey raft of eventually irrelevance made of bad character designs, he screams about statutory rape and rants about sexuality proving he knows little to nothing about it. And myriad other things that kinda prove all the bad things you thought about his ideology were probably true.

So I guess my third option is " This continued obvious cry for help and attention " but I guess that's more of an overarching theme

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Another app preview

Oh man the coloring and shading here is gonna be an eyesore innit.

...Also why is the video sideways? Couldn't the format be edited to portrait at this day and age?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Another app preview

Good to know our extraordinary protagonist has a basic white girl voice.

Is he fastforwarding through some of those lines or something?

2 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

That’s Ginger (the dog lady) speaking, not Lara-Su.

Oh, my bad. I listened to it while doing something else and assumed it was the same scene.

24 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

...Also why is the video sideways? Couldn't the format be edited to portrait at this day and age?

Yeah, that is off. I guess he's recording a separate screen oldschool style.

Ohhh yeah. Like @Kellodrawsalot noted, there's definately Star Trek background audio. I don't know if that stuff is copyrighted or not and that he shouldn't be using it, but it just goes to show how desperate he is that he chooses to take stock sound effects from popular sci-fi shows.

It just really goes to show how uninspiring his ideas are, that he chooses to not only try and imitate the Sonic style, but also steal content from other, more popular franchises.

In his defense, he noted earlier that the audio is just a placeholder while the app is still a work-in-progress. (Heck, this tweet even says new sound effects will be added later.) This isn't like the trailer for The Lost Ones where he used stolen music as part of a finished trailer to sell his film to studios.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with Knuckles' Knox's horrifying facial expression near the end of the first one.

dv2N1fy.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 1

Look, I don't like the man very much or most of his opinions.

But even I admit...

This one doesn't look too bad.

• Nice Smile 2

13 hours ago, Adamis said:

Bit of an update : he contacted me on Twitter telling me he'll send me soon (ish) some new, up-to-date translation work once he get everything organized. And he'll send me one of his t-shirts. So I'm still translating the comic ;)

*sees preview* Ouch @ K'nox's face.

Ah, so announce things before he goes ahead with them. 

22 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

In his defense, he noted earlier that the audio is just a placeholder while the app is still a work-in-progress. (Heck, this tweet even says new sound effects will be added later.) This isn't like the trailer for The Lost Ones where he used stolen music as part of a finished trailer to sell his film to studios.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with Knuckles' Knox's horrifying facial expression near the end of the first one.

dv2N1fy.png

Ew... 

Guess that confirms it's a separate screen. 

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Look, I don't like the man very much or most of his opinions.

But even I admit...

This one doesn't look too bad.

Well he is being paid for it. 

• Chuckle 3

11 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Another app preview

Holy shit that is some wooden acting. Are they even trying? This is even computers this time this is people. Geoffrey doesn't even sound Australian. 

Also gotta love using stock Star Trek sound effects. But I'm wrong for calling that out because he already said they were placeholders in a Tweet I didn't see because I don't follow him. Sure.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Geoffrey doesn't even sound Australian.

I always thought Geoffrey was meant to British, considering how he seems to of been inspired by James Bond. Unless he is channeling George Lazenby.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

I always thought Geoffrey was meant to British, considering how he seems to of been inspired by James Bond. Unless he is channeling George Lazenby.

I honestly don't remember if he was confirmed to be based on James Bond initially, but I do know he was partially named after St. George.

As for whether he is British or Australian, that is an interesting question. Mr. Flynn was once asked which one he was and his accent apparently became British/Cockney in subsequent appearances before the King Naugus arc.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1