Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Stones are real they're 14lbs making Lara a little over 95lbs.

Marks can refer to ' feet and '' inches

If 76 marks is 76 inches or 6' 4'' Lara is dangerously underweight.

I don't think that's how Penders is using Marks. If it is than comic Julie is seven feet tall at 84 marks.

2 hours ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

I don't think that's how Penders is using Marks. If it is than comic Julie is seven feet tall at 84 marks.

It was the side I was much less confident with, I was surprised I found anything relating to height.

• Nice Smile 1

38 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

It was the side I was much less confident with, I was surprised I found anything relating to height.

My friend Matt from high school was able to parse what they were using math and estimated height, but that was years ago and I forgot his findings. 

• Nice Smile 1

According to the Archie Sonic Wiki, a mark is approximately 1.4 centimeters or so. This seems fairly reasonable, as it would mean in that bio that Sonic is around 3'2 or so... an inch smaller than his official stats, but not an unfair guess to make. 

Though that said, Penders' applications of these heights and weights are kinda all over the place, ESPECIALLY the weight- the data file for Robotnik, both the original and the then-robotic 'Eggman', are BOTH listed as being 12.7 stone... which in pounds, is merely 177 lbs. 

Evidently Robotnik really IS a human hot air balloon.... 

• Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, horridus said:

According to the Archie Sonic Wiki, a mark is approximately 1.4 centimeters or so. This seems fairly reasonable, as it would mean in that bio that Sonic is around 3'2 or so... an inch smaller than his official stats, but not an unfair guess to make. 

Though that said, Penders' applications of these heights and weights are kinda all over the place, ESPECIALLY the weight- the data file for Robotnik, both the original and the then-robotic 'Eggman', are BOTH listed as being 12.7 stone... which in pounds, is merely 177 lbs. 

Evidently Robotnik really IS a human hot air balloon.... 

How else can he run so fast for his size :D?

• Chuckle 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, horridus said:

So, Penders has posted a panel from the prequel comic, this one featuring the newly revealed Dr. Zephur. Coulda swore it was "Zephyr"... in any event-

EA3GQdGUwAETmC2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

So, Zephur STILL looks grotesque, but the real story here? Is Penders not only continuing to use photographs in place of drawing stuff, but actually going so far to use photographs of HUMAN anatomy and physiology despite this being a surgical/medical examination of his supposedly alien Echyd'nya. Like, good grief man, it's bad enough when he uses this crap for backgrounds, but this is really taking it to another level given how much he's screamed about this being 'hard science fiction' and crap. 

I know some stuff media such as the Amzing Adventures of Gumball has stock photo backgrounds, but real images of surgery?? im relly horrified at that. even if it was free to use, he could still have drawn it up by himself and the ribcage looks like it is melting 

On 8/3/2019 at 5:11 AM, DabigRG said:

Eh, it could just be how he prefers that stuff to look.

But yeah, it's probably because there is technically an inherent connection lingering despite the branching. Partially because he made it such a major aspect in the first place.

At least the History section for Sonic was in more manageable paragraphs

So, I take it Penders took inspiration from the Cats movie trailer for his latest greatest character creation Dr. Z. 😕  I can see he's still using stock photos for his backgrounds...though I have to say that's the first time I've seen him use surgery photos!

4 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

So, I take it Penders took inspiration from the Cats movie trailer for his latest greatest character creation Dr. Z. 😕  I can see he's still using stock photos for his backgrounds...though I have to say that's the first time I've seen him use surgery photos!

He does look like that now, doesn't he? 

17 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

Lmao, and yeah he never listens to feedback, wonder if using images from Google will give him trouble

I am not an artist myself but even I think the design is off putting, can anyone give a thorough critique on the panel? I wish I could but I am not really good at giving details on drawings. 

18 hours ago, Guergy said:

I am not an artist myself but even I think the design is off putting, can anyone give a thorough critique on the panel? I wish I could but I am not really good at giving details on drawings. 

Well, as an artist, I can tell you that you don't need to be an artist to tell that this thing is off-putting. Having eyes is more than enough in this case.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

The eye is mostly iris. It would probably look better if it was smaller and there was a sclera (white part). Just something I noticed from my cat, but the iris and sclera do have a dark line separating the two. It may also help if Penders didn't only put a highlight in the pupil. I notice that's a habit of his. Putting some highlight to the iris and sclera can make all the difference.

I posted this drawing on my tumblr a bit back. Not the the best... but I tried.

There are other things that could be picked at on the pannel. Mostly it doesn't look done. The.. echyd'na? isn't shaded with the cat guy.

D7OVOLrUEAAI5522.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 2

you have made the character work, (still unappealing looking but that has less to do with your art and more to do with the design itself)

Oi… while I've been avoiding this thread for quite a number of months, I also have it bookmarked as my primary access point to the site; like staring at a car fire, train wreck, &c.

I mean I'm not usually one to tell someone to give up on their hopes and dreams, but sometimes you also have to know when to throw in the towel, less you go down like Apollo (and Ken's swings have certainly missed more often than not). If anything, I fear he's in the same spot as prequel-era George Lucas; he's seemingly doing too much on his own with no one but himself to say "no, that's a bad idea." Like, the concept Ken seems to be going for could work… maybe… kind of… sort of? …he just needs to reign it in a bit, and perhaps let others handle the brunt-work of drawing, inking, and coloring.

…but, as has been pointed out in the past, his unrestrained years at Archie has bloated his ego to astronomical proportions — even when the comic book industry as a whole has all but forgotten him. I wish him no ill will but there needs to be something that'll cause him to take pause and start over and start small, piece-by-piece, instead of trying to create something monumental out of Popsicles® sticks.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is it me or isn't the conflict with Sony/Spider-Man/Disney just like the incident with Penders/Archie?

I meant how Sony and Penders both are ripping their characters from established canon and making their own installments that are not in the same universe but still experienced the same events (or something?).

On 8/26/2019 at 8:33 AM, Kazhnuz said:

Not really.

The Penders/Archie incident comes from two things : Pender's ego and the problems in the remuneration of author in the Comic Book industries (especially problems around royalties). As jerky as Penders is, the freelancing situation is pretty difficult for many creators that aren't "big names", and this whole stuff come from problems that are known in the industrie for a while. The whole fluff is added by Penders ego, how he seem bitter about all that and how he think that he is the one making Sonic comics famous, but it all steem from the royalties question, and the freelancing question for artists.

The whole Spiderman conflict is basically two megacorporation fighting for a big bag of money around a famous icon, one wanting to keep the status-quo that arrange them especially as it became their biggest earning movie IIRC (Sony) and the other wanting a deal that would arrange them more by moving to a full co-production (Disney).  It's then a "political" (in a broad sense) question between two companies.

Basically the context and the actual questions are quite different, for me.

The biggest common point is that both Sony and Penders believe they can continue working alone… But it's just a detail in the big picture imo. Another could be that in both case, the ones actually working on the products have to rework a lot of things.

I had never seen it like that before. 

• 1 month later...

Ken's been quiet lately, thankfully, but now he's started to reply to people talking about his asexual comments on Twitter again. Remember, his quiet phases came before his initial asexual/Sally/Geoffrey comments. Stay tuned.

Yee, I noticed that when people started liking my reply to that, lol. I just assumed people were taking advantage of his lack of updates by bringing back his old discourses.

I find his latest tweet rather interesting.

First, he doesn't have the time to do it. What else is he doing that he can't add in some proper backstory? I know it takes Ken years to actually draw a comic but it would help him flesh out why she is what she is.

Second, imagine being the poor person he picks if he did open it up. They'd give it everything and he would never be satisfied. Ken has never seemed to like others using his characters, just imagine how controlling he would be on the story. He'd make J.K Rowling look easy to work with.

• Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

I find his latest tweet rather interesting.

First, he doesn't have the time to do it. What else is he doing that he can't add in some proper backstory? I know it takes Ken years to actually draw a comic but it would help him flesh out why she is what she is.

Second, imagine being the poor person he picks if he did open it up. They'd give it everything and he would never be satisfied. Ken has never seemed to like others using his characters, just imagine how controlling he would be on the story. He'd make J.K Rowling look easy to work with.

Wouldn't they just be an guest artist? 

41 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wouldn't they just be an guest artist? 

In the replies someone shows off their work to say they'd be interested. Ken's reply states he's not looking for just an artist.

He wants someone who can draw and tell a story. Of course, Ken will never be satified with what anyone else does for his story. Art or story, the guy is as picky as they come.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

In the replies someone shows off their work to say they'd be interested. Ken's reply states he's not looking for just an artist.

He wants someone who can draw and tell a story. Of course, Ken will never be satified with what anyone else does for his story. Art or story, the guy is as picky as they come.

Ah, so visual storytelling.

Well, yeah, that's gonna be a tall order.