Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Hi, long time lurker, also a fan of Scourge which is why I guess I've finally decided to join. I can't help but feel like Ken's just shoehorning Scourge in there because Ian managed to turn a character who probably should have stopped appearing after his third appearance in issue 44  into a memorable villainous rival for Sonic.
Using "Evil Sonic" is already pretty risky given that he can't use Sonic, but to use Ian's take on the character feels even pretty insane. But for once I think I'm less concerned about the design and more about however he writes the character given his refusal to read any issue he himself didn't write.

Edited by Zonic 2099
typo
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Hi, long time lurker, also a fan of Scourge which is why I guess I've finally decided to join. I can't help but feel like Ken's just shoehorning Scourge in there because Ian managed to turn a character who probably should have stopped appearing after his third appearance in issue 44  into a memorable villainous rival for Sonic.
Using "Evil Sonic" is already pretty risky given that he can't use Sonic, but to use Ian's take on the character feels even pretty insane. But for once I think I'm less concerned about the design and more about however he writes the character given his refusal to read any issue he himself didn't write.

I'm more wondering the point of bringing him in, since Locke triggering his mutation aside, he has nothing to do with the Echidnas or even the Acorns for that matter. Rob'O makes much more sense, especially given his policy you mentioned.

Heck, he himself initially said he wasn't that interesting in bringing Evil or Scourge in, didn't he?.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I'm more wondering the point of bringing him in, since Locke triggering his mutation aside, he has nothing to do with the Echidnas or even the Acorns for that matter. Rob'O makes much more sense, especially given his policy you mentioned.

Heck, he himself initially said he wasn't that interesting in bringing Evil or Scourge in, didn't he?.

I just imagine Penders will only be adding him because he became popular. There's really no way to organically put him in without opening a whole can of worms. Last time Penders used "Evil Sonic" he was pretending to be Sonic to hit on girls, and he and Rouge running off after a failed attempt to take the Master Emerald. Considering Locke's dead and he can't use Rouge (unless he makes an expy), Evil Sonic has no business to have anything to do with Kn-I mean K'nox's people.

If he shows up as Scourge I think it's safe to say there'd be many questions. Like does this mean his transformation in issue 160 is canon? If not how'd get that new look. Why is he even still around. What about the Anti Freedom Fighters? As opposed to Rob who as you said makes more sense on top of being married to an Echidna but also helping them find Albion.

4 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

I just imagine Penders will only be adding him because he became popular. There's really no way to organically put him in without opening a whole can of worms. Last time Penders used "Evil Sonic" he was pretending to be Sonic to hit on girls, and he and Rouge running off after a failed attempt to take the Master Emerald. Considering Locke's dead and he can't use Rouge (unless he makes an expy), Evil Sonic has no business to have anything to do with Kn-I mean K'nox's people.

If he shows up as Scourge I think it's safe to say there'd be many questions. Like does this mean his transformation in issue 160 is canon? If not how'd get that new look. Why is he even still around. What about the Anti Freedom Fighters? As opposed to Rob who as you said makes more sense on top of being married to an Echidna but also helping them find Albion.

I guess that's why he mentioned considering how to address that stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just uses Evil Sonic as he was pre-Scourge with his now more legally distinct name -- no need to "K'nox" this one up.

Of course, I also wouldn't be surprised if he did just use Scourge post-Ian design, because that's just the kind of guy he is.

I feel like he has no rights to Scourge since technically Ian created Scourge. Evil Sonic was a base, and yes sadly that base is Penders' due to petty, but Scourge isn't. Not to mention that Scourge became a good villian because Ian took the time to actually flesh out characters. Scourge was my favorite villian because of how well written he was and because of Penders pettiness we won't ever get to find out what happened to him. I don't want to see Scourge become a Penders abomination. 

I wish he'd just go crawl in a corner and be quiet. He hasn't had anything to do with Sonic since he got the Archie comics canceled, and Yes I do blame him for that. It was his fault because he couldn't stand other writers doing a better job with his characters than he did. Jerk.

Soo evidently he's considering changing Scourge's name again. I'd ask why he felt a need to even continue calling him by that name to begin with given his evidently negative feelings about it, but the exceedingly self-serving reason behind THAT is abundantly clear. Honestly, at this stage of things it kinda feels disrespectful for him to keep using the Scourge name at all when it didn't originate from him. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, horridus said:

Soo evidently he's considering changing Scourge's name again. I'd ask why he felt a need to even continue calling him by that name to begin with given his evidently negative feelings about it, but the exceedingly self-serving reason behind THAT is abundantly clear. Honestly, at this stage of things it kinda feels disrespectful for him to keep using the Scourge name at all when it didn't originate from him. 

Or just scrap the whole LSC book because we all know it's a bunch of Knuckles clones. 

I mean, he's just petty because someone wrote his characters better. How long has LSC been in development now? If it wasn't coming out then, it's definitely not coming out now. He really needs to just drop it and give back what he stole because, in essence, he did steal. I don't care what the lawsuit said, he was working under contract for a known property and it states in any contract, unless specified, that any character(s) you create belong to said property. Even I know that. The case should've been thrown out.

• Absolutely 1

12 minutes ago, horridus said:

I think he's all but admitting he probably can't use the name.

• Thumbs Up 2

As much as I love and miss some of those characters I don't think Penders can give them back even if he uncharacteristically realized the error of his ways.

40 minutes ago, horridus said:

He's better off just cutting him out all together in my opinion. I don't know how Scourge can be himself when several elements that make him, himself can't be used by Penders.

• Nice Smile 1

16 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

As much as I love and miss some of those characters I don't think Penders can give them back even if he uncharacteristically realized the error of his ways.

He's better off just cutting him out all together in my opinion. I don't know how Scourge can be himself when several elements that make him, himself can't be used by Penders.

Come to think of it, Evil Sonic did have a different priority compared to the pre-Scourge & onward stuff actually. He was more about having a good fight from time to time and having a piece of the action on bigger schemes, as opposed to trying to justify his own existence for his ego.

Anyone know of any updates on when the Lara su chronicles could be released, last I heard ken had a book to sell at a convention but that was it

53 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Anyone know of any updates on when the Lara su chronicles could be released, last I heard ken had a book to sell at a convention but that was it

As far as I know he's still "working" on it. 

1 hour ago, Leebo4 said:

At this rate? A quarter after never.

8 hours ago, horridus said:

He's the original Dr. Disrespect.

Also, I like how he responds here as though the name is what Kate is upset about (at least, I'm guessing her response is more about the character). If anything, I think his response is just pouring more salt into the wound.

So to try to change up the subject from just Penders' nonsense and ramblings for a bit, I kinda want to actually try to tackle a bit of the story that he's hinted at so far in the few scripts he's bothered to release. I'd go and link the scripts in question, but I honestly cannot remember which page they were located on.

The bit that I do remember was in regards to the notion of "Assignment Day", and I have to say this:

Is it just me, or does it come off as strangely dystopian/authoritarian? It also kinda makes me think of the City of Ember book.

Spoiler

For context, in the City of Ember, Assignment Day was done to give jobs to newly graduated kids by assigning them jobs via lottery. It should be noted that said city is a city that is basically on the edge of a total blackout because the whole place is "the only city in what seems to be a neverending world of darkness" that surrounds the entire town, and the lights after 200 years are basically starting to fail. And it's also implied that Assignment Day kinda contributed to the steady failure of the light generator because unqualified people kept on getting put towards a duty they sucked at. Also the mayor and the police are corrupt and trying to cover up the failure of the lights and are also hoarding whatever supplies and power are left for themselves and are ready to leave everyone else to die in the darkness once the lights completely fail.

Anyways, combined together with the whole thing regarding the council not being happy with Lara about her flaunting of her future Praetorian duties and creepy disturbing implications, and it seems like Ken made his Suetopia lean heavily/potentially authoritarian.

• Nice Smile 1

He borrowed "House Artreides" from DUNE, Dark side from Star Wars and Skyweb from Skynet, it appears to be straight forward, too straightforward.

And introducing Robo and Evil Sonic/Scoryge especially Evil, what the hell is he thinking?

On 2/17/2020 at 1:00 AM, ShadowSJG said:

This crazy old git hasn't learned a thing

"I never ever depicted Sonic and friends in a NSFW situation" *Thinks back to Evil Sonic and Bunnie's """nap"""* Sure Ken.

• Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Adamis said:

He also borrowed the Genesis Wave from Archie.

But why would he even need the Genesis wave when he already left off  with time and space being altered? Unless he’s only using it to throw away Ian’s contributions.

14 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

But why would he even need the Genesis wave when he already left off  with time and space being altered? Unless he’s only using it to throw away Ian’s contributions.

Penders has it in his head that the only cannon is his 25YL arc and he's emphasized that fact many, many times even though the SGW wiped the slate clean and got rid of everything. 

Basically, yes. And to justify that TLSC is still "canon", as it's still happening in the Archie canon, just in another dimension. It's also his way of saying that everything that happened post 159 still happened (as he said in one tweet a couple years ago) but not in "his" dimension.

So between this being a continuation for a possible true future. Said reality has been rewritten and then rewritten again but it's also not the same one we've seen in the Archie Sonic since it's in another reality..

I guess just having the former King rewrite time and space and erase accidentally erasing himself to save it and possibly others if not just changing their lives and physical appearances to match the rewritten universe (kinda like he did Rotor) and picking up where he left off is just too simple a solution. Unless I'm forgetting some legal reason he can't do that. 🤔

• Nice Smile 1

Well, I'm also dealing with information from the last time I translated something for him... two years ago (!)

But he keeps telling the main changing points are in Sonic #50, 125 and 144.

I also wonder... who is really interested in reading the continuation of a story from 10+ years ago, that got modified/erased more than once and even ceased publication, with a different art style and focus, featuring ersatz of licenced characters ? Why not something new, not attached to this past publication ?

Plus, at his rhythm, he'll never finish the whole 7 or so books.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1