Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Considering the comic's over and the reputation he has, some people out of bile fascination. I can understand wanting to tell the story he wished to tell but I can't help but think that if he hadn't burnt every last bridge to ash he could have done so through a web comic rather than sue to get his creations back. He could have maybe made money through Patreon and donations. I don't know about a physical release given that even if Archie would be on board, SEGA would probably have the final say, but at least there'd be no burnt bridges.

• Nice Smile 3

I wonder with the desire to put Rob and Scourge into the story if tlsc is becoming less just tell a story and more find a way to make a story that incorporates every character he owns somehow.

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Considering the comic's over and the reputation he has, some people out of bile fascination. I can understand wanting to tell the story he wished to tell but I can't help but think that if he hadn't burnt every last bridge to ash he could have done so through a web comic rather than sue to get his creations back. He could have maybe made money through Patreon and donations. I don't know about a physical release given that even if Archie would be on board, SEGA would probably have the final say, but at least there'd be no burnt bridges.

Funnily I noted this way back somewhere in this topic, and others noted that he'd probably never be able to pull it off because he doesn't have the discipline to maintain a consistent upload schedule.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

41 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Funnily I noted this way back somewhere in this topic, and others noted that he'd probably never be able to pull it off because he doesn't have the discipline to maintain a consistent upload schedule.

Considering I lurked her for a couple of years that's probably where that thought came from. 😅 As for his inconsistency,Like I said if he and Archie never had any legal problems I'd imagine people would be forgiving in a schedule slip provided the paetron perks and prices were fair and he put out at least one page at least every once in a while without focusing on translating it into all languages getting people to record the voice lines all at once.

He could even write into this hypothetical web continuation that King Sonic's actions caused a timeline split so both his and Ian's continuation of the story could co exist. 

2 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Considering I lurked her for a couple of years that's probably where that thought came from. 😅 As for his inconsistency,Like I said if he and Archie never had any legal problems I'd imagine people would be forgiving in a schedule slip provided the paetron perks and prices were fair and he put out at least one page at least every once in a while without focusing on translating it into all languages getting people to record the voice lines all at once.

He could even write into this hypothetical web continuation that King Sonic's actions caused a timeline split so both his and Ian's continuation of the story could co exist. 

The core problem is that he can't stand the idea of co-existing if his past words are any indication. He's pretty much made it evident that he'll only accept his world as being the sole canon.

• Nice Smile 1

My theory is that it’s partly spite towards Ian and/or Archie. Penders is an egotistical control freak and has always been so when it comes to Archie. When he tried to claim that SEGA/Ian are free to use his cast under “simple guideline”, said guidelines were incredibly restrictive and basically gave Penders total power over a massive portion of the comic, not only making Mobius 25 Years Later the canon finale to Archie Sonic. 

Meaning SEGA and Ian would be expected to tailor EVERY character showcased in that story to realistically reach that point, meaning Ian would be strangled held into a lot of things (relationships for starters - including breaking up Mina and Ash to somehow set up Mina/Tails and make it make sense, keep Knuckles/Julie together forever, and the same for Sonic/Sally, as well as some of the random hookups like Rotor and that one random Echidna (Kotor I think?)

That’s also not mentioning wanting total creative control over his characters in Archie, meaning if any issue showcased a character made by Penders, not only does it have to go through a approval process by SEGA, but also by Penders - who could easily veto the whole thing and shut it down, forcing possible delays and rewrites. Given how many numerous times he’s created a stink over how Ian used his cast, that probably would’ve led to a total disaster.

To me, a large part of all this, especially using characters like Rob’O and Scourge, characters who have little value outside of Archie Sonic due to lack of context is his desperate attempt to prove he knew all along what he was doing. That he knew better, and Ian was some hack who ruined his characters. It’s the same way he feels the need to shit on a dead man to justify his godawful movie idea (because it’s easier to justify why his movie pitch fell apart if you blame it on a dead man, despite the fact that A. It was a bad pitch, B. Penders was the one who backstabbed Hurst, who originally wanted a SATAM finale movie, C. Penders’ pitch was the most edgy dark depiction of Sonic before a Shadow’s game came around, in an era where X was about, and D. Penders probably wanted full creative control.)

One of Penders’ biggest problem is that his unadulterated ego does not allow him to understand when something is just an awful idea. That’s why he eventually left Archie. For the longest time, he was allowed to do whatever the fuck he pleased for a decade, because SEGA didn’t care enough to step in, since Archie Sonic was a drop in the bucket compared to the multi media empire Sonic had in the 90s, and the editor he had at Archie did not give enough of a shit to stop his worst ideas, and it was eaten up because of how massive Sonic was at the time, and it was the only consistent source of Sonic material between games.

When times changed, SEGA began caring more about a consistent universe and brand, Sonic material was now more consistent with X running, and Archie Editorial got a shake up, and this time, Penders got lumbered with a editor who did care about his job, and the quality of stories, and when he did start shutting down idiotic ideas, or telling Penders what to add and improve, Penders had a massive hissy fit over the whole thing and left, because he couldn’t take people telling him what he can and can’t do. 

TL-SC is a independent story where Penders has full control over it, and no editor or deadline to reign him in, and it painfully shows with the number of delays, troubled development, and absolutely bafflingly terrible writing and ideas present. Penders will fling this, that or the other in with no concern for if it works, or if it makes sense, just because he can for the sake of it, and then he posts about it by making it sound like it’s some deep meaningful connection, when you’ve been writing one fucking book for near a decade now, and you’re still only “just realising, or just discovering how Lara-Su’s feet and toenails” are somehow deep meaningful character and world building, then that’s a sign of how fucked this all is.

Like, I like Ian’s version of Scourge. I can’t stand Evil Sonic by Penders, but Scourge by Ian is one of my favourite villains. But out of context, Scourge does. Not. Work. Scourge’s whole deal is being the opposite of Sonic the Hedgehog, and having a chip on his shoulder because of it. Where he had a shitty life in comparison to Sonic’s, which allowed Sonic’s heroic and kind traits to be twisted and corrupted, while his negative traits like his ego, and his over confidence are amplified.

Scourge’s motivations are not just “being a dick”, or “pure chaos”. Scourge’s motivations are simple, and concise - to prove that he is not just some lowly clone of the original Sonic. A failure Sonic at that. Scourge changes his look, name, and appearance, and forcefully takes over his own world, and forces EVERYONE to do the exact same thing, because he wants to prove that he not only is his own person, and made his own decisions, but that unlike all the heroic Sonics in the universe, he isn’t a failure to broke easily and turned evil. 

He picks Fiona as his girlfriend because Fiona chose to be bad, and chose to be with Scourge, which Scourge finds attractive because unlike everyone else he knew who had to be sidelined into their sides of good and evil due to being a flip side of Mobius Prime. Scourge wants to believe that is the same for him, that he made his own choices, and that his turn to evil was legitimate, instead of just being a byproduct of Sonic Prime being a hero, and having his life not be completely awful growing up.

Ian’s Scourge works because he’s trying to prove something to himself, as much as he is to others, which is why he also feels the need to justify it to Sonic by claiming all it would take is “one bad day” to make Sonic like Scourge. Because Scourge needs to feel like anyone else could become like him if he isn’t going to be a failure of a Sonic.

But if you get rid of all of that, if you get rid of Sonic altogether, what do you have? Nothing, at all. Scourge can’t work because you’ve ripped away what defined him, his motivations, and his personality, while Evil Sonic pre-Scourge also can’t work because Evil Sonic is such a terrible character who derives so much from Sonic himself that removing Sonic from the equation destroys what little character Penders!Evil Sonic had.

Its the exact same for Rob’O, he’s just a Robin Hood knockoff who also happens to derive large chunks of unique character from SEGA, due to being related to Amy. Remove whatever few elements of legitimate uniqueness he had, and he literally just becomes a rip off of Robin Hood, more so than he already was. But Penders doesn’t stop to think if they’re a good idea for the comic, or story, he just uses them in a vain attempt to prove that he can do them better, even when it’s clear from past writing of their characters that he can’t. That’s not even touching the legal issues of Penders!Evil Sonic literally just being a Sonic clone.

• Thumbs Up 9

18 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

as well as some of the random hookups like Rotor and that one random Echidna (Kotor I think?)

Cobar.

Don't ask why I remember that. My brain is full of random trivia.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

The core problem is that he can't stand the idea of co-existing if his past words are any indication. He's pretty much made it evident that he'll only accept his world as being the sole canon.

It really is a shame though that Ken wants to have his cake and eat it too while being beloved for it.

25 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Like, I like Ian’s version of Scourge. I can’t stand Evil Sonic by Penders, but Scourge by Ian is one of my favourite villains. But out of context, Scourge does. Not. Work. Scourge’s whole deal is being the opposite of Sonic the Hedgehog, and having a chip on his shoulder because of it. Where he had a shitty life in comparison to Sonic’s, which allowed Sonic’s heroic and kind traits to be twisted and corrupted, while his negative traits like his ego, and his over confidence are amplified.

Scourge’s motivations are not just “being a dick”, or “pure chaos”. Scourge’s motivations are simple, and concise - to prove that he is not just some lowly clone of the original Sonic. A failure Sonic at that. Scourge changes his look, name, and appearance, and forcefully takes over his own world, and forces EVERYONE to do the exact same thing, because he wants to prove that he not only is his own person, and made his own decisions, but that unlike all the heroic Sonics in the universe, he isn’t a failure to broke easily and turned evil. 

He picks Fiona as his girlfriend because Fiona chose to be bad, and chose to be with Scourge, which Scourge finds attractive because unlike everyone else he knew who had to be sidelined into their sides of good and evil due to being a flip side of Mobius Prime. Scourge wants to believe that is the same for him, that he made his own choices, and that his turn to evil was legitimate, instead of just being a byproduct of Sonic Prime being a hero, and having his life not be completely awful growing up.

Ian’s Scourge works because he’s trying to prove something to himself, as much as he is to others, which is why he also feels the need to justify it to Sonic by claiming all it would take is “one bad day” to make Sonic like Scourge. Because Scourge needs to feel like anyone else could become like him if he isn’t going to be a failure of a Sonic.

But if you get rid of all of that, if you get rid of Sonic altogether, what do you have? Nothing, at all. Scourge can’t work because you’ve ripped away what defined him, his motivations, and his personality, while Evil Sonic pre-Scourge also can’t work because Evil Sonic is such a terrible character who derives so much from Sonic himself that removing Sonic from the equation destroys what little character Penders!Evil Sonic had.

Its the exact same for Rob’O, he’s just a Robin Hood knockoff who also happens to derive large chunks of unique character from SEGA, due to being related to Amy. Remove whatever few elements of legitimate uniqueness he had, and he literally just becomes a rip off of Robin Hood, more so than he already was. But Penders doesn’t stop to think if they’re a good idea for the comic, or story, he just uses them in a vain attempt to prove that he can do them better, even when it’s clear from past writing of their characters that he can’t. That’s not even touching the legal issues of Penders!Evil Sonic literally just being a Sonic clone.

Evil Sonic was only really a nuisance and a pawn to other villains. To put him into the Lara-Su Chronicles would essentially be the death of what little character he had and be the birth of a whole new one who frankly isn't really gonna be him to begin with. Looking at the list of characters Penders has, I can't say many of them feel like anything more than secondary characters, some of whom like Scourge the Evil Sonic can't really function without specific characters and motives to bounce off of.

The Lara-Su Chronicles can't use Sonic, Sally, Tails, Knuckles or the Chaotix among other characters, and concepts like the Master Emerald belong to SEGA. So why not just reinvent what he does have like the Brotherhood and Dark Legion. How about the Brotherhood have been clashing with the Dark Legion who wish to resurrect their crazy god Enerjak so he can recreate the world in his image with Lara being the one who has to fight him whether she wants to or not.

Since it's highly unlikely the Lara-Su Chronicles's first installment will sell well when it arrives in 20XX, he's better off just writing a one off story and see where it goes from there as opposed to telling a continuation that just isn't going to work with tons of characters shoehorned in just because.

For what it's worth I'm aware what I'm typing is crazy. 😅

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

40 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

The Lara-Su Chronicles can't use Sonic, Sally, Tails, Knuckles or the Chaotix among other characters, and concepts like the Master Emerald belong to SEGA. So why not just reinvent what he does have like the Brotherhood and Dark Legion. How about the Brotherhood have been clashing with the Dark Legion who wish to resurrect their crazy god Enerjak so he can recreate the world in his image with Lara being the one who has to fight him whether she wants to or not.

It's a very, very strange combination of egomania and desperation at work. 

See, unlike most people, Penders doesn't really see the Sonic franchise in terms of being a video game franchise- he see's it first and foremost as a comic book franchise, and at times has hinted that he honestly seems to think that the Archie book (especially during the time he worked on it) is somehow more widespread and beloved than the actual games themselves, with the tacit implication being that his depiction of Sonic and Knuckles and so forth is the definitive one in people's minds. Now, it doesn't take a lot to recognize the myriad flaws in this reasoning given that the Archie book even in its heyday was ultimately a niche book and spinoff of an extremely popular video game series. The video games are what generate all the spinoff media, which exist to promote awareness of the games in one way or the next. Penders however very infamously ignored the games as best he could, even boasting about having never played any of them, and to him they are ultimately background noise before what the people REALLY want- the comics. Namely, HIS comics. And since Sonic was ultimately only ever relevant to him as a Comic franchise, he continues to treat it that way despite all the things blatantly wrong with it. This is a man who was convinced that if SEGA had given his Sonic movie the go-ahead, that it surely would have been used as the basis for the entire franchise after all. 

That's the egomania portion of things- now for the desperation. For paradoxically, as much as Penders hypes up the popularity of his work, it becomes pretty clear that he is all too aware that Sonic connection is the thing that draws the people in. He's never lasted even a year anywhere else, nor has he written for other books the way he wrote for Sonic. Its the one thing that gave him a career of substance, and its the only reason his characters ever attained any kind of popularity to begin with. His own attempts at going his own way never went anywhere- his independent series, The Lost Ones, ended after its first issue. As such, he badly, badly needs to sell this as some kind of legitimate continuation of his work and that it is still somehow connected into his Sonic work even as he discards what the other writers did and bends over backwards to justify how the characters he DOESN'T own are still technically around even if they can't really be shown, and to this day refuses to really address how his plan to include the last story of 25YL as a jumping off point for Lara-Su Chronicles will work given that it features characters who are blatantly and explicitly not his. 

So yeah, it's this weird, twisting miasma of things at work- he is at once utterly convinced of the popularity of his work and that the pre-existing fanbase for that will carry him to glory, but at the same time painfully aware that at the end of the day he needs the Sonic connection more than anything. It's why he feels free to discard large portions of the book but then claims it 'technically happened in an AU' and why he does things like obliquely mention 'blue spined erinacinae' in things like his revised Geoff bio along with 'Princess of Acorn' and 'Warlord Kintobor'. He's trying to cast the net as wide as he can in a very blatant, cynical attempt to draw in some of the old Archie crowd, banking on the hope that they will be willing to ignore the changes if it means getting some of the Pre-Reboot back in SOME fashion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, horridus said:

It's a very, very strange combination of egomania and desperation at work. 

See, unlike most people, Penders doesn't really see the Sonic franchise in terms of being a video game franchise- he see's it first and foremost as a comic book franchise, and at times has hinted that he honestly seems to think that the Archie book (especially during the time he worked on it) is somehow more widespread and beloved than the actual games themselves, with the tacit implication being that his depiction of Sonic and Knuckles and so forth is the definitive one in people's minds. Now, it doesn't take a lot to recognize the myriad flaws in this reasoning given that the Archie book even in its heyday was ultimately a niche book and spinoff of an extremely popular video game series. The video games are what generate all the spinoff media, which exist to promote awareness of the games in one way or the next. Penders however very infamously ignored the games as best he could, even boasting about having never played any of them, and to him they are ultimately background noise before what the people REALLY want- the comics. Namely, HIS comics. And since Sonic was ultimately only ever relevant to him as a Comic franchise, he continues to treat it that way despite all the things blatantly wrong with it. This is a man who was convinced that if SEGA had given his Sonic movie the go-ahead, that it surely would have been used as the basis for the entire franchise after all. 

That's the egomania portion of things- now for the desperation. For paradoxically, as much as Penders hypes up the popularity of his work, it becomes pretty clear that he is all too aware that Sonic connection is the thing that draws the people in. He's never lasted even a year anywhere else, nor has he written for other books the way he wrote for Sonic. Its the one thing that gave him a career of substance, and its the only reason his characters ever attained any kind of popularity to begin with. His own attempts at going his own way never went anywhere- his independent series, The Lost Ones, ended after its first issue. As such, he badly, badly needs to sell this as some kind of legitimate continuation of his work and that it is still somehow connected into his Sonic work even as he discards what the other writers did and bends over backwards to justify how the characters he DOESN'T own are still technically around even if they can't really be shown, and to this day refuses to really address how his plan to include the last story of 25YL as a jumping off point for Lara-Su Chronicles will work given that it features characters who are blatantly and explicitly not his. 

So yeah, it's this weird, twisting miasma of things at work- he is at once utterly convinced of the popularity of his work and that the pre-existing fanbase for that will carry him to glory, but at the same time painfully aware that at the end of the day he needs the Sonic connection more than anything. It's why he feels free to discard large portions of the book but then claims it 'technically happened in an AU' and why he does things like obliquely mention 'blue spined erinacinae' in things like his revised Geoff bio along with 'Princess of Acorn' and 'Warlord Kintobor'. He's trying to cast the net as wide as he can in a very blatant, cynical attempt to draw in some of the old Archie crowd, banking on the hope that they will be willing to ignore the changes if it means getting some of the Pre-Reboot back in SOME fashion. 

But he also doesn't seem to factor in that his involvement in Archie needing reboot is very much out there. I don't think he's capable of seeing beyond himself either. If the guy conducted himself better I'm sure at least a few people might if this book ever comes out give it a skim through in a bookstore or something instead of just picking it up to laugh at it.

Sometimes I do feel pity for the guy, but he sure doesn't make it easy. Just being a little self aware and empathetic can go a long way. Listening to just a little bit of criticism could change some people's opinions of him, kinda like a certain movie recently did. But there's no denying the fact that first and foremost the Lara-Su Chronicles is by Ken Penders and for Ken Penders.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

28 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

But he also doesn't seem to factor in that his involvement in Archie needing reboot is very much out there. I don't think he's capable of seeing beyond himself either. If the guy conducted himself better I'm sure at least a few people might if this book ever comes out give it a skim through in a bookstore or something instead of just picking it up to laugh at it.

Sometimes I do feel pity for the guy, but he sure doesn't make it easy. Just being a little self aware and empathetic can go a long way. Listening to just a little bit of criticism could change some people's opinions of him, kinda like a certain movie recently did. But there's no denying the fact that first and foremost the Lara-Su Chronicles is by Ken Penders and for Ken Penders.

To put it mildly. Many, many people have observed he'd be a lot better off and probably get more done if he stayed off the internet given that sooner or later he always says or does something that makes him look like a creep. ESPECIALLY when criticism is involved- the guy really doesn't want to hear anything except endless praise heaped upon him despite the demonstrably low quality of his work. 

And boy, that just sums it up beautifully. This whole thing, for all that he hypes it, really is just a vanity project in the worst of ways. 

• Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This is why I say that Scourge doesn't belong to Penders, he belongs to SEGA and Archie still. Ian created Scourge. Ian is the one that made Scourge likable, made him not just another evil clone and actually made a villian out of him. The problem with Evil Sonic was he just was evil, just because. It was in his name that he was opposite of Sonic himself. Ian basically created Scourge and made it so he was his own person, gave him a personality. Because of that, Scourge is one of my favorite villians. He works well with the story and actually does something for it.

Penders can't take it that other people write better than him, he's that petty. I really don't ever think that LSC is going to be finished in any capacity just because he can't stop trying to keep relevant in social media and thinking that he's the ultimate Sonic Guru when truthfully the comics didn't start getting good or interesting until after he left and Ian took over. I did have some of the older comics of his and they were pretty bad. 

Also, it still boggles me why he renamed Sonic Olgilvie Maurice? WTF?

• Chuckle 1

And now Ken is pushing claims about Ian that were completely made up.  Because immediately believing and pushing forward lies about the current lead writer does wonders to bolster your claim that you hold no ill will toward the current staff.

(For context, someone asked Ian last year if IDW would be using the movie to push for higher sales, and Ian replied saying there was no movie cross-promotion.  Apparently someone decided this means Ian refused to do a tie-in story even though that's clearly not what he said.)

• Thumbs Up 5

26 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

And now Ken is pushing claims about Ian that were completely made up.  Because immediately believing and pushing forward lies about the current lead writer does wonders to bolster your claim that you hold no ill will toward the current staff.

(For context, someone asked Ian last year if IDW would be using the movie to push for higher sales, and Ian replied saying there was no movie cross-promotion.  Apparently someone decided this means Ian refused to do a tie-in story even though that's clearly not what he said.)

Given that Penders willfully lied about Flynn stealing ideas from him as well as his constant attempts to paper over some of the stuff he said about Bollers, to say that I am un-surprised would be something of an understatement. Expecting anything else of this deeply pathetic individual is folly by this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He constantly lies about everything just to justify his story, his writing, and his very bad personality. He's never accountable for everything. There is a term for that, but I can't remember it.

Villainous? Deluded? Pathological liar?

Not calling him anything, just trying to match words that might fit the definition.

1 hour ago, OnyxCrimsonBlur said:

He constantly lies about everything just to justify his story, his writing, and his very bad personality. He's never accountable for everything. There is a term for that, but I can't remember it.

Inculpable perhaps?

"Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes. This includes self-flattery, perfectionism, and arrogance. "

Here's what I'm looking for. I had to look it up, it was bugging me.

• Absolutely 2

8 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Its funny considering that he has made only a very few trickets for his upcoming app, which is not even close to finishing, despite his protests

Been a while since I checked in here... =O

Dayum, a full decade has gone by and still no Lara-Su Chronicles in the year 2020?? The way things are going, I don’t think this is ever going to be released. Ken Penders is like the George RR Martin of the comic book world, he says it’s coming but we know it won’t be anytime soon...or possibly ever. 

Btw I’m surprised Penders hasn’t commented on that scene yet in the first few minutes of the Sonic movie. Expected him to be all uptight about it, especially if it’s going to be expanded on in a sequel.

Ian does as he's told, if SEGA wanted him to do a promotion they'd ask IDW to do one rather than if they want to do one. As for calling him idiotic, Ken's business sense is as bad as his social skills. 🤦‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Plus the guy he's getting this from has a vendetta against Ian. He just keeps making shit up or twisting things he says to make him look like a bad guy. It's sad.

• Thumbs Up 3

This sad git is truly deluded. It's so clear he has a bone to pick with Ian.

As for the Scourge talk, why does he still own him? By that logic, shouldn't he not be able to use the Lara-Su chronicles or shit like Echydnya or whatever

3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

This sad git is truly deluded. It's so clear he has a bone to pick with Ian.

As for the Scourge talk, why does he still own him? By that logic, shouldn't he not be able to use the Lara-Su chronicles or shit like Echydnya or whatever

He owns Scourge on a technicality since the base for the character is Evil Sonic... 

Still pretty of him, really.