Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Off topic, but a quick word of advice - if you remove the mobile and replace it with "www", SSMB will automatically embed the tweet for you.

Ah thanks. I didn't know that. 

Take note that at this stage of things, he's deliberately sidestepping the fact that he does not, repeat, does not own Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or anything else from the games, nor any of the characters who debuted in SatAM. Likewise, there's at least one co-worker we know of who isn't on board with LSC- he's changed Athair into a new, female character called Auri-On since Michael Gallagher still owns Athair. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, horridus said:

Take note that at this stage of things, he's deliberately sidestepping the fact that he does not, repeat, does not own Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or anything else from the games, nor any of the characters who debuted in SatAM. Likewise, there's at least one co-worker we know of who isn't on board with LSC- he's changed Athair into a new, female character called Auri-On since Michael Gallagher still owns Athair. 

I'm also fairly certain SEGA own not only Ian's cast altogether, but also his stories in general.

22 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Nah its ok because he didn't claim he owns Sonic and there's precedent for something like it. No seriously that's his defense. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1233120989019398150

And how many of those parties has he given more than enough reason to not even be in the same room as him?

I also ended up finishing the video, frankly I'd say the 1:07:00 mark is the most interesting because he starts giving his opinion on how Archie didn't have to reboot nor get rid of his characters like they did. And prior to that timestamp listening to Penders talk about Archie's hesitance on SEGA's involvement makes me question what the plan would be if SEGA just pulled the license then and there because there would be nothing to negotiate.

So I clicked on this thread reading the proceedings in reverse.

I thought that ken penders had completely lost his mind and planned to publish his new magnum opus with sonic characters in it and had thought he had some crazy legal loophole to do so. I find that he has only mildly lost his mind and trying to publish anthologies without the permission and license of the rights holders.

Good grief

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

So I clicked on this thread reading the proceedings in reverse.

I thought that ken penders had completely lost his mind and planned to publish his new magnum opus with sonic characters in it and had thought he had some crazy legal loophole to do so. I find that he has only mildly lost his mind and trying to publish anthologies without the permission and license of the rights holders.

Good grief

Going by his words he evidently believes he can get the other copyright holders on board. Given that he wasn't able to convince Gallagher to get on board with his LSC project, since he changed Athair into a new, female character called Auri-On, and one of the other creators he'd need permission from is Ian Flynn, I'm not really liking his odds. And that's without getting into the whole 'SEGA still owns Sonic and the game characters and the show characters' portion of things. 

• Thumbs Up 5

One of the replies on Twitter made a point that I'm almost positive Ken hasn't even remotely considered: Even if the settlement somehow had the utterly bizarre stipulation that Ken could republish any work in the Archie Sonic collection past and future as long as he paid SEGA, regardless of trademarks and the like, there's a 0% chance that would include the issues featuring Capcom characters in the two Mega Man crossovers.

• Thumbs Up 8

This whole thing becomes all the more achingly hypocritical when you recall that he's the reason Lost Hedgehog Tales is never gonna happen, even though those aren't even stories or made with the intent for profit. 

• Thumbs Up 5

We all know Penders is a massive hypocrite.  In the past, he called himself the "savior" of the series.  Then he called someone ignorant for saying Ian Flynn was the savior of the comics.  If that person was ignorant for calling Flynn a savior, then Penders was just as ignorant for calling himself a savior.  But we all know Penders doesn't think of himself as ignorant, so the logical consistency is lost.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sorry Kenny boy but I don't think all the stacks of cash in the world will convince SEGA to turn a blind eye to your legal shenanigans, but if you wanna be sued into the ground, knock yourself out. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

How is Penders gonna reprint issues that don't even belong to him?  And the other writers have no reason to help him given that he burned them in the past.  He still hasn't realized that he blacklisted himself at not only SEGA, but the entire comic industry too.  This is some serious delusion he has going on.

While technically accurate (well, maybe not the "Classics" part in some instances), it feels like "The Sonic American Classics" somehow runs against his narrative that these stories are beloved by everyone the world over.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

While technically accurate (well, maybe not the "Classics" part in some instances), it feels like "The Sonic American Classics" somehow runs against his narrative that these stories are beloved by everyone the world over.

The fact that he seems to think that the international market will care about some stories from 15 years ago while IDW is currently publishing their trades internationally is laughable. He's trying to take on IDW 1 on 1.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

Either way I'm waiting for Sega to sue him for his attempt at selling a product with their characters that was published under license with them. 

Y'know if this actually happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Betz said:

The fact that he seems to think that the international market will care about some stories from 15 years ago while IDW is currently publishing their trades internationally is laughable. He's trying to take on IDW 1 on 1.

Don't tell Penders that!  He'll just deny it because he believes his material is pure gold, and you can't go wrong by going with him.

"I'm someone who is always looking for something new to shoot for."(He said that at the end of the second interview video.)
Maybe it's just me but he seems to be clinging to Sonic now more than ever, and no doubt because the movie is doing pretty well.

The Sonic Archives could have continued to preserve his work, if he thought he and other former writers deserved some compensation, I don't think many would complain, but it wasn't about creators rights. No, it was about getting back at Archie, it was about easy money, it was about trying to strong arm SEGA into not only making a Knuckles movie but let him use the character in his for profit fanfic in exchange for hundreds of rip offs.

But really, seeing him trash Ian who had to not only heavily alter an arc in progress because he could no longer use most of the characters planned with the exception of five characters and Metal Knuckles and who had to abandon at least 50 something scripts (probably more if one counts Sonic Universe). And had SEGA becoming more stricter and issuing more mandates which only got worse with the reboot. Penders quitting because he was asked to include a few more game characters becomes a complete joke in comparison. It's only more tragic knowing Ian actually did care for the comic and had to write out not just fan favorites but no doubt some of his own favorites.

• Thumbs Up 8

You know what the saddest thing about this is? I would totally buy a big collection of Archie Sonic comics if I could. Like I'd love for IDW to work something out to reprint the series in a similar style to like the IDW collections that reprint everything in chronological reading order. But I want to stress IDW. I don't want to pay Penders for reprints that despite him saying so there's no way he can legally sell.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've seen a lot of opinions on this here, all of which I agree with, but the thing I personally want to express the most is that he should do it.

He should do it because it will be really, really funny if he does.

We have a lot of fun here at the actual LARA-SU CHRONICLES IN ALL CAPS, the thread on the Sonic Stadium where we chronicle the weirdness of Ken Penders, but this series will truly reach its apex when the story arc of Penders trying to release a bunch of shit he doesn't have the rights to "because he has lawyers" comes to fruition.

It'll be his Chimera Ant arc. His Marineford arc. His Freeza arc. The crown jewel of this weird as hell comedy.

I'm almost ready to get on my hands and knees to beg this man to do it. I don't ask a lot of you because you're a bit of a twit but I want you to set aside the fact that you say you're going to do stuff and then never do it for once and do this.

Please do it. For me. I couldn't fathom watching something more entertaining play out. Isn't that what you want Ken? To entertain us? 

• Chuckle 7
  • Way Past Cool 2