Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

16 hours ago, Big Panda said:

That’s a shame. Her Archie input was pretty good.

I'd love to see her write for IDW but from what I hear she's sick so it almost certainly won't happen. Plus I'd be worried people would attribute her work to Ian again.

Yeah... as it turns out, I read Sonic the Hedgehog comics for Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog characters. Further supporting cast members are great and all, but they're not why I first picked up any iteration of the book, Be it Archie Sonic, IDW Sonic, or even Sonic the Comic.

What he's offering is bootleg Sonic Universe, minus the Sonic Universe.

• Thumbs Up 8

The unfortunate part of that equation that Penders isn't addressing is that his characters, all of them, are defined utterly by their connection to Sonic and the Sonic series. It's weird honestly- he tries so much to try and present his work as some kind of legitimate continuation of his work on Sonic, even going so far as to claim he'll include the Die Is Cast in the App with a re-worked ending, but at the same time even as he tries to profit from that connection to Sonic he blatantly resents the implication that Sonic had anything to do at all with the popularity of his work.

Make up your mind already, guy. 

• Thumbs Up 7

The problem is he's absolutely deluded himself into believing that anyone anywhere would want to read the solo adventures of Geoffrey St. John that he doesn't view his characters as Sonic characters but instead as creations that can stand on their own divorced from the franchise they were created for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even understand his point - enjoying his character/stories doesn't give them any relevancy whatsoever in IDW, or the present. It just makes no sense whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't even understand his point - enjoying his character/stories doesn't give them any relevancy whatsoever in IDW, or the present. It just makes no sense whatsoever.

I think he's trying to suggest that his characters and stories for Sonic are popular enough with readers to remain relevant without actually having any Sonic stuff in them. The logic is... shaky, at the most generous.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, horridus said:

The unfortunate part of that equation that Penders isn't addressing is that his characters, all of them, are defined utterly by their connection to Sonic and the Sonic series. It's weird honestly- he tries so much to try and present his work as some kind of legitimate continuation of his work on Sonic, even going so far as to claim he'll include the Die Is Cast in the App with a re-worked ending, but at the same time even as he tries to profit from that connection to Sonic he blatantly resents the implication that Sonic had anything to do at all with the popularity of his work.

Make up your mind already, guy. 

This reminds me, did he ever start taking credit for Doc Ock/Superior Spider-Man saying "the die is cast" all the time?

9 hours ago, horridus said:

I think he's trying to suggest that his characters and stories for Sonic are popular enough with readers to remain relevant without actually having any Sonic stuff in them. The logic is... shaky, at the most generous.

I mean, it's plausible...

Or at least, it was back when he announced this thing, before he threw all his characters down whichever side of the Ugly Tree had the most branches, slighted anyone who ever felt the barest twinge of sympathy towards his plight, convinced the world that his true face was beneath the beltline on his backside, and started clinging to Sonic like it's the only way to keep from drowning.

Back when people still cared and hadn't moved on with their lives.

But hey, there's big money in nostalgia, and maybe by the time he gets the first chapter done, the little kids who were growing up when the reboot happened will be old enough to want to buy it with their own money and maybe share it with their kids.

(Unless they're wise enough to read it by themselves first, that is.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Hard to believe that it's almost been 10 years since this legal shit started, and this is still no closer to getting released.

• Thumbs Up 3

58 minutes ago, Spinneret said:

Hard to believe that it's almost been 10 years since this legal shit started, and this is still no closer to getting released.

There's always the next 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

That wasn't the question, and Eggman could probably do away with the Legion in a number of ways. He could have A.D.A.M who'd probably still be around infect the Legions cybernetics causing them to fail or march to their doom or zap them to the Egg grapes or banish them back to the Twilight Cage with the sadistic bonus of making sure they stay there for good and if they are lucky, Eggman would send them there intact. How many other ways could he take them down?

Anyway the only characters I imagine being able to put up a decent struggle or having a decent chance against Eggman are the Deadly Six with their ability to control machines, A.D.A.M as well could probably infect most of Eggman's robots and war machines just the same. OG Robotnik could maybe put up a decent chance but it'd be quite a stretch to believe he returned and built so many Robots without anyone ever noticing.

But the Legion? No, can't see it. Let's be honest the only way they'd be able to put up a decent struggle with Eggman is if the sadistic doctor was just screwing them before doing away with them.

• Thumbs Up 5

Karl Bollers already answered that question- the terrorist organization that has failed to take over a single city for the last 200 years gets shellacked by the global dictatorship with a near inexhaustible army of robots. Ah, but then of course that was Bollers, so of course that means that Return to Angel Island 'doesn't count'. 

You know, it's funny that he keeps mentioning this plot of the Legion and Eggman going to war, given that when he listed his plots that were planned but never did before he quit-

http://web.archive.org/web/20160324112425/http://kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122

Since I have no idea if the Stadium's links are still borked or not, I'mma just quote the entire synopsis- 

SONIC: LINE OF SUCCESSION PTS I & II (SONIC #155 & #156)

SONIC: SYSTEM SHUTDOWN/RECONFIGURATION/REBOOT (SONIC #157, #158 & #159)

SONIC: ALL MY TOMORROWS... (SONIC #160 & #161) - King Sonic discovers he’s returned to the scene of one of his greatest battles and possibly the cause of his problems in the future. The problem is that no one can see or hear him, and any attempt to take action results in someone suspecting a supernatural cause. When he returns to the future, he discovers a changed world on top of having failed to change events in the past. As a last resort, Rotor sends Nicole into the past after having created her.

SONIC: LAST TANGO IN KNOTHOLE (SONIC #162) - Uncle Chuck and Rosie emerge on the town for a real date, and it’s up to Sonic to play guardian angel and prevent Robotnik’s stealth-bots from spoiling the happy couple’s evening. (16 pages)

SONIC: GIRLS NIGHT OUT (SONIC #163) - Some teasing from Ash results in Mina and Amy Rose making their way into Robotnik’s stronghold to prove they’re just as capable on their own as any Freedom Fighter (re: Sonic). When Sally hears what they’re up to, she and Sonic head out after them, only to discover Rouge and Nic the Weasel are on the scene, each looking to abscond with the rare gem that will power Robotnik’s latest weapon. (16 pages if 1 issue or 2 11-page stories if spread over two issues)

SONIC: THIS ROBIAN, THIS HEDGEHOG (SONIC #164) - When Sonic overhears how much his father resents his condition, unable to enjoy a “normal” life with his wife, Sonic risks all to find a cure. With the aid of his Uncle Chuck, Sonic makes his way into the Robotnik’s nano-tech labs and retrieves what he hopes is the answer to the problem. Unfortunately, Jules is still a Robian at the end, but thanks to nano-technology, he now looks more like his old self. (16 pages)

SONIC: LAST MAN STANDING (SONIC #165) - Antoine pops THE question to Bunnie. Unfortunately, she’s not able to respond before the gang has to go off on a mission to shut down Robotnik’s power plant before a meltdown in the core. While Sonic does all he can to ensure a safe ending for all, circumstances dictate a sacrifice on someone’s part, and Snively ends up proving he had more moxie than anyone ever gave him credit for. (16 pages if 1 issue or 2 11-page stories if spread over two issues)

SONIC: FALL-OUT (SONIC #166) Sonic is racked with grief, feeling responsible for the death of Snively, and drives everyone that much harder when preparing for their next mission. As their assignment unfolds, everyone becomes uneasy as the possibility dawns that Sonic could cross a line he never did before. For the Freedom Fighters, this moral quandary becomes even more difficult when it’s discovered the enemy’s latest plan could result in the extinction of every lifeform on Mobius.

SONIC: NEW WORLD ORDER (SONIC #167) - Sonic finally is informed of the duties of his new rank: Gentleman-At-Arms. His first task: accompany Princess Sally to Station Square as she sets up Knothole’s first embassy in a foreign land. Naturally, there’s some trouble before the group departs, including Sally’s displeasure when Sonic’s new rank means he can overrule her when it comes to security, as Antoine’s duties as head of the Royal Guard conflict with his proposal to Bunnie. (16 pages)

SONIC: OUR HEDGEHOG IN STATION SQUARE (SONIC #168) - Now that Princess Sally, Sonic, Tails and Rotor have arrived in Station Square for the duration, Sonic finds getting around town is more awkward than he likes, thanks to Evil Sonic making the scene. But if Sonic can’t provoke his bad doppelganger into a fight one way, perhaps scoring with Rouge might do the trick. Now if only Sally doesn’t get into the act. (16 pages if 1 issue or 2 11 or 16-page stories if spread over two issues)

SONIC: A DISH BEST SERVED COLD (SONIC #169 & #170) - Knuckles and the Chaotix show up at Station Square, mean and spoiling for a fight with the group that attempted to invade Angel Island. Unfortunately, with the new alliance pact in place between Knothole and Station Square, that puts Sonic on a collision course with the embattled echidna. (2 16-page stories)

The idea was to tease whether or not Bunnie would accept based on the premise that she wasn't sure her and Antoine could lead a normal life due to her bionic parts. Eventually, events in SONIC #175 would have resulted in her saying yes to their engagement, leading to a spectacular wedding in #200.

I should like to point out that this was his 'evidence' that Flynn was 'stealing ideas' from him, but more to the point? At no point does he even remotely hint at this supposedly major plot he was building to, despite him swearing up and down that these were his honest-to-God plans before he quit. 

Funny how that works, isn't it? 

• Thumbs Up 6

Every time I read those plans, I am so thankful they never happened because they are absolutely terrible.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Perhaps scoring with Rouge" hurts my Sonouge fan heart every single time I read it. Also way to reduce one of the most competent and cunning Sonic characters into just a goal post for Sonic or Evil Sonic to stick their dicks into. Such a feminist that Penders. 

Most of these feel like bad sitcom plots. The Jules development isn't a bad idea but I'd rather Ian handle it as a back up story or as something you'd open up to before the actual plot of the issue begins.

A lot of these plots seriously don't work.
160-161: Boring
162: Why can't Sonic just tell Uncle Chuck that he and Rosie should move their date somewhere safer?
163: 1. Mina isn't really a freedom fighter, Sure, she'll help out when she can but I think outside of issue 152 the last time she was on the frontlines was in issue 125. 2. Ash would never let Mina do something so reckless, I mean the dude nearly got himself blown up trying to protect her.
165-166:  Snively is a weasel, he'd never sacrifice himself for others. Sure if he pretended to die, to manipulate Sonic that could go somewhere, but just no.
167: This feels like a back up story, and unless the issue is Sally feeling the need for more security and Sonic feeling he's more than enough on his own, just...why?
168: NO.
169: Who is this new group? Why would they invade Angel island? When was it established before Ian came on that Knuckles went back to Angel Island? outside of his brief time in Return to Angel Island

Reading all this makes me think of the dark age of the comic when Knuckles was green and the Freedom Fighters were in high school..

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Razule said:

There's always the next 10 years.

How old is Penders now?

Personally I feel that if he doesn't get this out in the next four to five years then it's probably never going to come out.

39 minutes ago, Spinneret said:

How old is Penders now?

Personally I feel that if he doesn't get this out in the next four to five years then it's probably never going to come out.

I think that was the case even when it was first announced. Five years ago, five years into the future, it's not happening.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

"Perhaps scoring with Rouge" hurts my Sonouge fan heart every single time I read it. Also way to reduce one of the most competent and cunning Sonic characters into just a goal post for Sonic or Evil Sonic to stick their dicks into. Such a feminist that Penders. 

Also why would sonic or evil sonic give a shit about rouge.  Like lets get rid of the conversation about mysogony or like what all three characters have been reduced to in this scenario. This isn't to suggest these things are not important. But rather how dumb this shit is on a basic level.

Sonic has romantic interests, scourge is just a guy who gets around. Why would either them care about rouge that much in particular? The two characters who might actually have a some form of romantic triangle are absent. Knuckles is I guess out doing some dumb echidina shit with julie su (the echidina brand of misogynistic bullshit but knuckles already has a girlfriend who's agency is gone, and knuckles is only a 1 girl misogynist. Two girl's agency? Too high level)  and shadow is a character he doesn't get ( shadow's motivations being actual motivations instead of a blank slate that he can insert rampant misogyny and bad plots into) and he's probably a little peeved an sega rep told him to use him one time. So that's a no go

So we got two characters who should not give and entire fuck about a character being upset about the other possibly fucking said character. And he thought this nonsensical non story , this rambling mess of a premise this misogynistic vomit was the plot of a comic book meant for children about a beloved video game mascot. And may man has the nerve to act as is his creativity is being stifled.

And now we can talk about the misogyny. What about rouge, what about her agency . This super independent competent woman with options , gets turned into an angry side chick for knuckles. And an object for two versions of sonic to fight over. What I just said has made me so upset. Every time i think of shit like this i go " I'm glad everything is gone now and it will never come back" I see this and completely understand sega going scorched earth. That scorched earth approach even following them in a new book.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

That wasn't the question, and Eggman could probably do away with the Legion in a number of ways. He could have A.D.A.M who'd probably still be around infect the Legions cybernetics causing them to fail or march to their doom or zap them to the Egg grapes or banish them back to the Twilight Cage with the sadistic bonus of making sure they stay there for good and if they are lucky, Eggman would send them there intact. How many other ways could he take them down?

Anyway the only characters I imagine being able to put up a decent struggle or having a decent chance against Eggman are the Deadly Six with their ability to control machines, A.D.A.M as well could probably infect most of Eggman's robots and war machines just the same. OG Robotnik could maybe put up a decent chance but it'd be quite a stretch to believe he returned and built so many Robots without anyone ever noticing.

But the Legion? No, can't see it. Let's be honest the only way they'd be able to put up a decent struggle with Eggman is if the sadistic doctor was just screwing them before doing away with them.

His Eggman probably wouldn't be able to do much, as he was written to be largely ineffectual and, according to Penders, the Legion could "eat him for lunch," as I recall.

Of course, it's because he chooses to make them this way, though in his mind, he seems to think the story has more agency in the matter than he does.

• Thumbs Up 4

I remember him saying that as well. He really loves to shill his Echidnas, which hurts them more than anything. Yes, the Legion are a genuine threat to the heroes but to Eggman, with countless tireless robots, big and small, and who controls most of Mobius.

If he wanted to have Eggman and the Dark Legion go to war with one another he should have done it around the early Sonic Adventure era when Eggman was first settling into Mobius or when he just got back from Station Square.

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

I remember him saying that as well. He really loves to shill his Echidnas, which hurts them more than anything. Yes, the Legion are a genuine threat to the heroes but to Eggman, with countless tireless robots, big and small, and who controls most of Mobius.

If he wanted to have Eggman and the Dark Legion go to war with one another he should have done it around the early Sonic Adventure era when Eggman was first settling into Mobius or when he just got back from Station Square.

Aye. It was said somewhere on his forum, but I really don't have the energy to go trawling through that particular cesspit. I can however verify that he very much does put his own creations on a pedestal higher than the actual principal villain of the franchise, regardless of how unimpressive their actual resume is under his own pen. He can try and hype this idea all he wants, but it was never going to be anything other than an other excuse to showcase and shill how great the Dark Legion is compared to Eggman. 

Frankly if he wanted it done that badly then maybe he should have actually gotten towards doing it instead of faffing about with insipid crap like the Anonymous Storyline, Ivan Kintobor, the fucking shit with Sonic and Fiona and Sally's wedding, and on and on. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I think Aleah showed it best in the latest Bumblekast where she recalled the Knuckles story that had the parallels to World War II and Nazi Germany, where Ken’s “morally grey” Dark Legion did several things that literally mirrored events like The Night of Broken Glass. The Dark Legion puts an insufferably stupid chain of events in motion to take over Echidnapolis - they brainwash a known technology hating echidna, who - instead of making him - a trusted politician - do their dirty work for them, they instead have him immediately appoint a random echidna robot who no one knows. 

They then keep doing silly shit, which the most silly had to be trying to bribe Remington into joining them, and admitting to the cops what they did - and still expecting to get elected, and it all ends with Espio and Knuckles essentially saying it’s pointless, and it ultimately doesn’t matter who wins...

...which yep, it basically amounts to nothing, lol.

For such a group claimed to be as big a threat as Eggman, they do very little of anything in story. Hell, the only time I remember them doing anything of note or worth was when Eggman made them Dark Legionnaires.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 hours ago, horridus said:

Aye. It was said somewhere on his forum, but I really don't have the energy to go trawling through that particular cesspit. I can however verify that he very much does put his own creations on a pedestal higher than the actual principal villain of the franchise, regardless of how unimpressive their actual resume is under his own pen. He can try and hype this idea all he wants, but it was never going to be anything other than an other excuse to showcase and shill how great the Dark Legion is compared to Eggman. 

Frankly if he wanted it done that badly then maybe he should have actually gotten towards doing it instead of faffing about with insipid crap like the Anonymous Storyline, Ivan Kintobor, the fucking shit with Sonic and Fiona and Sally's wedding, and on and on. 

I bet his excuse for not doing it would be something like "SEGA wouldn't let me kill Robotnik again," because that's totally the only way it could end, you guys, since his Dark Legion is SO COOL and SO BAD, you guys.

• Thumbs Up 1