Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I couldn't agree more with the statement on Ian and Bollers knowing better. The Echidna being a once proud and advanced species whose hubris and refusal to do anything about Robotnik wiped them to near extinction. Imagine if the Dark Legion returned to find their kind barely survived without Technology, The citizens of Echidnaopolis are hypocrites and the Legion got banished because they didn't want to give up technology that...well they never would have had to give up.

Never mind the fact that Ken refused to let the Echidna and even worse the Chaotix, lend a hand to the citizens of Mobotropolis when Robotnik was finally offed in rebuilding the city, or have the Chaotix stick around while Sonic and Tails chase Naugus and especially when the Freedom Fighters went up to space to find out what was up with those satellites.

What were they doing again? Helping Knuckles? Doing their own mission? Oh Oh right, now I remember they were

906982263_Screenshot_2020-02-23KnucklestheEchidna-Issue26.png.407309f1a2c540df6fb106b0230fb1b0.png

hanging...out in a mall.. Y'know...I bet the Mobians down below wouldn't mind hanging out on Angel Island while their homes are being rebuilt...

• Thumbs Up 5

16 hours ago, horridus said:

Aye. It was said somewhere on his forum, but I really don't have the energy to go trawling through that particular cesspit. I can however verify that he very much does put his own creations on a pedestal higher than the actual principal villain of the franchise, regardless of how unimpressive their actual resume is under his own pen. He can try and hype this idea all he wants, but it was never going to be anything other than an other excuse to showcase and shill how great the Dark Legion is compared to Eggman. 

Frankly if he wanted it done that badly then maybe he should have actually gotten towards doing it instead of faffing about with insipid crap like the Anonymous Storyline, Ivan Kintobor, the fucking shit with Sonic and Fiona and Sally's wedding, and on and on. 

TBF Anonymous was not Penders. That was Romy Chacon's doing.

19 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

TBF Anonymous was not Penders. That was Romy Chacon's doing.

Was it? Could have swore that one was Penders...

Ah well, no matter. The point of order is if he really felt this supposed Legion-Eggman conflict was so allfired important, he should have actively focused on THAT instead of.... literally everything else he DID focus on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardless of who came up with the Anonymous subplot in the first place, it's pretty funny that literally every writer on the book had a different idea for who it'd turn out to be. Makes me wonder what would have happened with that if it weren't for the creative team changing when it did.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

hanging...out in a mall.. Y'know...I bet the Mobians down below wouldn't mind hanging out on Angel Island while their homes are being rebuilt...

Meanwhile Charmy was married off and simply removed altogether for a long stretch.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Meanwhile Charmy was married off and simply removed altogether for a long stretch.

I really kinda wonder if Penders just really hated Charmy or something. Half the time he barely even seemed to remember he existed.

43 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair, most people are not fond of charmy. I cant personally blame him for that

Yeah, but no personality charmy from Chaotix and that one manga?

The Chaotix essentially became glorified cameos, so writing Charmy off was kinda pointless. I'm glad at least Mighty and Espio got a little bit of relevance with Ken giving them a back up story line each but I feel like for the most part they haven't been relevant since the Chaotix Caper arc...and even then they barely could contribute to the plot.

He could have at least let Charmy help out since he was planning to write him out, Maybe have Julie-Su and Remington say something to inspire him to go back? He can still have those flashbacks. I do like Julie-Su but he should have at least let one or two of the Chaotix retain their common sense.

.... I'm gonna forgo the lengthy post and just ask what in God's name is wrong with him that he's trying to use the goddamn Coronavirus to hype his book and paint himself as some kind of prescient writer. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 8

27 minutes ago, horridus said:

.... I'm gonna forgo the lengthy post and just ask what in God's name is wrong with him that he's trying to use the goddamn Coronavirus to hype his book and paint himself as some kind of prescient writer. 

In which the Dark Legion is presumably reduced to scalping soap and disinfectant, I hope.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 4

It's truthfully surprising that the games themselves are what produced the backbone for the best Chaotix dynamic; guys with their own quirks and ambition far unique from the other characters, while every other media tended to just leave them as a secondary hero group or Knuckles' interchangeable sidekick squad.

41 minutes ago, horridus said:

He was pulling the same crap with the republic a few days ago.

I suspect this is because some other works have had a moment in the spotlight for some coincidental plot points and wants a piece of that without actually having the work published prior to current events to actually count.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 5

Wait, I think Penders has a point here. After all, "a catastrophic event that forever changes life as they know it" is such an incredibly rare and highly specific plot point. The connection between the Lara-Su Chronicles and coronavirus is undeniable. I mean, how many stories in the history of the world have been written which involved some kind of world-changing catastrophe? Pretty much zero, right?

• Thumbs Up 9

Come on guys, we’re in good hands. After all, Penders was capable of handling complex, horrible real world events before with tact and grace. I mean this is the same man who thought “what if I include a version of Nazi Germany” in his acclaimed SONIC THE HEDGEHOG PRESENTS: KNUCKLES THE ECHIDNA series.

Hell, what if the cult classic one issue hit THE LOST ONES also turns out that the cause of the mutations there was the virus all along!

Man, what a true visionary Ken is. This doesn’t make him look like a completely insensitive dipshit at all, no sir.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 3

Has anyone compared Ken’s mythology of the echidnas to how they were portrayed in uk’s fleetway sonic the comic, there was a technologically advanced for this time Echidna empire 

plus I think I have to give ken a little credit in that he acknowledged the echidnas in the sonic movie were clearly just based on the ones from sonic adventure

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Man, this dude is really trying to make it seem like his society of echindas are scummy as fuck.

Notslytherinnotslytherinnotslytherin....

Whenever I see a system like that in fiction the point is usually that it's bad or at least flawed. (Closest exception I can think of is I guess cutie marks in MLP but that's like a magical destiny thing so you're probably not going to get one for something you hate doing. Probably.)

• Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Man, this dude is really trying to make it seem like his society of echindas is absolutely terrible.

I almost half-expect him to want us to see this as a good thing rather than a dystopian mess.

11 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

I almost half-expect him to want us to see this as a good thing rather than a dystopian mess.

Given that even when he seems poised to point out and condemn the flaws of Echidna society in the Knuckles book but then refuses to do so, I wouldn't doubt it. He's a guy who claims that the monarchist government of the Kingdom of Acorn makes him 'uncomfortable', but then has the Brotherhood function AS Royalty and are even called that by Remington, yet insists it's not the same. He tries to justify the pervasive domestic surveillance and spying of the Brotherhood as well as defending their refusal to do anything about Robotnik down on Mobius. Even when their history reveals that they were colonizers and aggressors in Cat Country, the Felidae are still portrayed as unsympathetic savages, and Locke isn't even remotely contrite for the actions of his ancestors. Even the Dark Legion, whom he tried to set up as parallels to Nazis, are let off the hook and insisted upon as being 'morally gray' villains despite some of their more blatantly evil actions. 

He just... refuses to really plunge the knife, even when he seems on the verge of doing so, and he gets defensive and irritable when others don't see things the way he does. 

• Thumbs Up 9

It really hurts the Echidna's in the end. If they are supposed to be sympathetic why do they feel like a bunch of Karma hudini's? Why do they never grow under his pen? Even with a status quo shake up like giving up technology they still keep the status quo by using technology which makes the exile of the Legion even worse.

Also if his comments on Bob Harris' almost prophetical disapproval for Sonic Live and Penders fighting any and all criticism good strong points or not, make me think he literally can't see things from anyone elses perspective.

• Thumbs Up 5