Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Hi, first time here. But I thought I'd stop by to give this thread some comedy gold from the main Archie Sonic thread.

Behold: Ken Penders' claim he was the savior of Sonic & Mike G and Angelo were basically hacks. https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/447146847396573184

I am simultaniously filled with laughter & unbelieveable amounts of hatred.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is only gonna make the inevitable all the sweeter.

I mean I normally wouldn't wish failure on a guy who plans to make a form of entertainment all by himself considering I plan to be an indie dev after college (and I even have such a game in my head) but goddammit this man needs to learn some humility.

There are times when I feel bad about talking about Penders but then stuff like this appears and I feel no regret. This guy has to be the most arrogant Narcissustic writer out there. Ill admit in the early days before things got serious his stories where the most interesting interesting of the bunch but I wouldn't call him a savior when things got serious the comic needed saving from him.

I call BS that the knuckles comics sold more than the sonic comics today especially with the Walmart screw up thing. Lets be perfectly honest if the knuckles comics sold well why wasn't it still running to this very day instead of being back up stories for the sonic comics? Yeah I thought so now lets look at the sales of the comics now. If the sales weren't so good I'd think we wouldn't have gotten a a spinoff series that is still running to this day, a magazine series and a crapton of reprints so I don't know where he's getting all this information from.

I feel that Ken praises his work too much to the point where it becomes sad. Look at the lost ones he says its really popular and the best selling comic series in reality it only had one issue and it bombed hard and I'm sure not that many people knows it exists. He's praising the Lara su chronicles and saying random BS speaking of that has Ken ever gotten an interview from any website that wasn't here and TSSZ talking about TLSC? He talks about it so much that you'd think comics alliance, Comic Book Resources, comicvine and so on would have done something? Idk this guy is the butt of the joke on tumblur and as each day goes on he's ruining his legacy. I can't see this series going anywhere it still amazes me how this thing existed in the first place if this series does become popular it's all for the wrong reasons

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't mind reviewing this comic provided that someone buy it for me or scan the pages and send it to me. I don't want to waste my money on this garbage, but I think it would be an awesome way to lighten up for a few laughs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just wish he stop gloating and get with finishing this comic so we can all see and laugh or be bored to tears by it, ASAP.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ken's still trying to do damage control. Apparently, he "acknowledges" Karl's, Scott's, & Gallagher's contributions (notice he's outright ignoring Ian & Tracey) to the Sonic comic, but still says HE'S the savior of the comic, and not budging on how Angelo was apparently "lesser". How HE was the only one who saw any faith that the Sonic comic had at the time and that it was pretty much going to fail because "no one else took it seriously".

Kenders is still trying to take credit for the Bunnie/Antoine romance that Angelo started. A fan also pointed out how he mixed Nazi imagry with an Echidna ripping off JFK's "Ask not what you can do" speech. Not to mention he apparently "worked" on Hillary Clinton's campaign in 2008. ...He's just screaming "I AM IMPORTANT!! LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!"

• Thumbs Up 2

I've said it on Bumbleking, I'll say it here: if Ken Penders is the savior of the Sonic comics, then I'm Mr. T, and I pity the fool!

• Thumbs Up 7

Ken's still trying to do damage control. Apparently, he "acknowledges" Karl's, Scott's, & Gallagher's contributions (notice he's outright ignoring Ian & Tracey) to the Sonic comic, but still says HE'S the savior of the comic, and not budging on how Angelo was apparently "lesser". How HE was the only one who saw any faith that the Sonic comic had at the time and that it was pretty much going to fail because "no one else took it seriously".

Kenders is still trying to take credit for the Bunnie/Antoine romance that Angelo started. A fan also pointed out how he mixed Nazi imagry with an Echidna ripping off JFK's "Ask not what you can do" speech. Not to mention he apparently "worked" on Hillary Clinton's campaign in 2008. ...He's just screaming "I AM IMPORTANT!! LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!"

Seriously, count all the times he says "I" on his Twitter alone.

• "I was the guy out there promoting the book when nobody else was."
  • "I was the guy who established the art had value when other artists were giving it away."
  • "The book lasted because I cared what the fans wanted."
  • "The book received the most fan mail of any comic back in the day when I was working on it, and sales reflected that."
  • "Uhh, I started the Bunnie and Antoine romance back in Sonic #46. The readers begged us to kill Antoine until Scott and I did that story."
  • "...arguably one can say I brought value to the character (Knuckles)."

Humble guy.

Also, another detail from Pender's Twitter:

"Lara-Su is not an echidna nor an animal, but an alien. She is a member of the Echyd'nya species."

So, that settles that. We can't criticize him for using echidnas anymore.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fuck that shit. The man who claims to have "brought value to Knuckles" best be prepared to face the ass-whooping and panning consequences.

"Lara-Su is not an echidna nor an animal, but an alien. She is a member of the Echyd'nya species."

...Are you kidding me.

I just...I'm done.

sorry for extremely short post but my level of done with this quote is off the charts

• Thumbs Up 1

How much does anyone want to bet that he's doing everything in his greedy little power to TRY to get characters like the villains Sc'ourge and Robo Ro-bot'nk into his sinking ship of a "project"?

Meanwhile, his ALREADY CREATED Robotnik ripoff, Dr. Ian Droid from the Lost Ones and the Sonic/Image crossover, (who was supposed to be the figure who Knuckles faced in Locke's vision) is doing jack shit and is looking like he's doing nothing, like every other one of Kenders' non... Echyd'nya characters like Geoffry, Hershy, the Wolf Pack, Drago, Sleuth Dawgg, etc.

At least if he didn't make "The Floating Island" an alien society, he could conceivably use skunks, hegdehogs, chameleons, etc, but now that the main species are aliens, then what the f*** are those others supposed to do? There's no non-bullshit stupid way for those other characters to EXIST in TLSC; which by the way still flies straight into the face of "MY SERIES EMBRACES IT'S HISTORY" crap Ken put out.

...Wait, if those stupid overprices Patches are for the Kingdom of Acorn (which presumably is now run by Alicia & Elias), then what the hell are THEY SUPPOSED TO BE??!! Alien Echyd'nya like the others, Squ'rrls, or what? Has anyone asked the fool?

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope he slips up on sown crucial detail that links it back to Sonic in a way that is obvious enough, and SEGA or Archie brings him to court. If anyone has a legit case here it's them.

One question I have is this: what exactly was the Lost Ones? 

Also at this rate I wouldn't be surprised we'll be seeing non echidna (notice I spell it perfectly correct first time, unlike Penders' delusions) character as an alien with a ridiculously changed spelling of their animal names.

One question I have is this: what exactly was the Lost Ones? 

Also at this rate I wouldn't be surprised we'll be seeing non echidna (notice I spell it perfectly correct first time, unlike Penders' delusions) character as an alien with a ridiculously changed spelling of their animal names.

It's another kind of comic thing that Penders tried to sell. The first issue was released by Image, but bombed so badly that no more issues were made. A general plot description can be found here.

Sonic also had a crossover with Image comics at one point, and some of the characters appeared there. It was implied that the villain was actually Robotnik or whatever. I don't know, it's Penders.

He also tried to make a movie or something out of it. Here's a trailer.

Look at those cool, modern, cutting-edge effects! I'd watch it. (Not.)

^ Let's start with this:

(Keep in mind, the Lost Ones comic only lasted one issue before Image had to cut comics from their line, including this one).

From Kenders' own site, Floating Island Productions:

THE LOST ONES

The time: Today

The place: Your town

They could be your friends, your neighbors, your lovers. They could be famous, or an unknown, rich, or poor. They are: The Lost Ones.

Descendants borne of the original survivors of the atomic blasts in Hiroshima and Nagasaki that ended World War II, they are either the next phase of human evolution or nature's sadistic retribution against the folly of man's war machine. For each Lost One possesses a singular power whether that be the ability to hold armies at bay, infiltrate the tightest security, or survive in any environment from the deepest ocean to the airless void of outer space.

Security was tight at Los Alamos during World War II. All resources were being directed towards one large weapon that would create the largest explosion ever generated by man. So it was easy to get funding to study the effects on those survivors of the first two atomic blasts used against a general populous. Afterall, the effects of that much radiation was still unknown. But as the second generation was born with no visible differences, the study was abandoned. Except for one lone individual who kept watch, checking those on whom he could keep track. But many more were lost over the years, moved to all corners of the globe and married into many different races and ethnicities. Then, with the third generation, things changed.

From the mind of Ken Penders, author, artist, producer, and director, comes THE LOST ONES with a single question: Can they and normal humans live together in harmony, or will one destroy the other? And who else might be, a Lost One?

R U 1, 2?

(Yes, Ken Penders basically tried to pass off a mix between the X-Men & the Runaways(?) and call it original).

I honestly don't know what came first, Ken's Lost Ones comic, or the Image crossover. But the Image/Sonic crossover was a "Freedom Fighters & Knuckles meet Dr. Droid for the first time, but he's met them all before" type deal; by the end, it apparently look like Dr. Droid was hurt/killed by Knuckles, so this might have been the last event in his life (or second to last; more on that shortly).

The whole reason that Locke experimented on himself & Knuckles was so that Knuckles would be the ultimate Guardian to face off a giant robot attacking Echidnopolis he had in visons before Knuckles was concieved. This, at the time, looked like Knuckles facing off against Robotnik in a "Finest Hour" thing in the future.

IIRC, Ken stated on his forum that around the time he was sacked, his plans were to have that ultimate destiny occur in the 25 Years Later era. And that it would be Dr. Droid (in either his first or last appearance, where he presumably would have perished) who attacked trying to get the Master Emerald. Knuckles would then face the robot... and I forgot what was supposed to happen after that, if Ken had any ideas. The safe money is that Knuckles would die so that his daughter, Lara-Su, would then step up in her father's place.

Keep in mind that one (of the many) reasons that most people HATE 25 Years Later is that it made Knuckles the ultimate Sue: Knuckles vaporized Eggman without really meaning to in another Chaos Knuckles fit, he built Echidnopolis to be the de-facto capital of the world, he gets a Photo-Realistic Koala Maid for his family, he finally managed to reunite the Dark Legion with the rest of the species, etc. So making the conclusion to all this build up be a NON-Sonic/Sega character would have even sent the most loyal of the Pendersfolk up in arms for the stupidity.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't there also mentions of Sonic himself being killed like in the initial confrontation with that Dr. Droid charactet as well? I'm sure I've heard that around

Dunno. The lines given in the Image/Sonic Super Special was that Droid had definitely met Sonic & Knuckles and that "Sonic got lucky" in their last encounter.

But as for Sonic being killed, even temporarily by Droid? Given Ken's barely hidden apathy for Sonic himself as a character, I wouldn't doubt that Ken would have tried to get that pushed through, but even if Archie was blind or stupid enough to give their approval, SEGA definitely would have vetoed that story point, so it's incredibly  unlikely that plan would have happened outside of "Ken's original idea".

At the time of this writing, I honestly forget if Knuckles vs Droid would have happened BEFORE 25 Years Later or would have happened after King Sonic "fixed" the timeline (since, honestly, 25 Years Later 1 was so dull, I blanked out on many of the details. Ian's sequels were built on a shoddy story and were definitely some of his weaker fare, but I can at least recall events that happened in 25 YL 2 & 30 Years Later, never mind the Jani-Ca alternate timeline) and in Ken's build up to the original Julie-Su Chronicles.

I just wish he stop gloating and get with finishing this comic so we can all see and laugh or be bored to tears by it, ASAP.

But then we'd stop talking about him, and he would has a sad! ;.;

This whole thing is the textbook definition of a trainwreck.  It's horrifying and completely awful, but you just can't help but watch.  Personally I'm just waiting to see if he actually gets this thing off the ground. The only sad thing is that the whole drama has put me off the Sonic book for a while.  I'm sure I'll catch up and get regular...eventually

• Thumbs Up 2

Ken Penders is pretty much what Joe Quesada would be if Marvel had wised up a long time ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This whole thing is the textbook definition of a trainwreck.  It's horrifying and completely awful, but you just can't help but watch.  Personally I'm just waiting to see if he actually gets this thing off the ground. The only sad thing is that the whole drama has put me off the Sonic book for a while.  I'm sure I'll catch up and get regular...eventually

Well, aside from writing out the entire echidna race except Knuckles in the 'Endangered Species' arc and the recent "reboot" (which is not quite accurate, in my opinion, but whatever), Penders has had minimal influence on the comic book lately, and now he'll probably have none whatsoever in the new continuity, unless his heart grows three sizes and he lets Archie bring back his precious creations. Personally, if you like Sonic and you like comics, I'd recommend getting back in. Flynn truly is a talented writer and he is very in touch with the characters and what makes them tick. He can write a serious, epic story without making it humourless and full of awkward, stilted dialogue. But he also understands that this is a world peopled by anthropomorphic animals, some of whom have ridiculous superpowers, and he's not afraid to write a fun, silly story, or to lampshade the fun and silly things in this world he writes (like Tails being able to fly at all). I think, Penders continuity issues aside, the comic has never been better than it is now. I don't want to put Flynn on too much of a pedestal, since he's not going to be writing it forever, but right now is a good time to be reading, I think. 

• Thumbs Up 9

He knows all that, he's been with the book up until very recently. But what was lost during the reboot were several characters and stories he liked.

He knows all that, he's been with the book up until very recently. But what was lost during the reboot were several characters and stories he liked.

Well, that feeling is mutual.

But then we'd stop talking about him, and he would has a sad! ;.;

Oh please XP. Much like Sonic 06, we won't stop talking about it and him for a long time even when the comic comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1