Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Oh-ho wow. I was about to quip 'hey, at least he showed something NEW this time instead of just reposting crap he already shared on his forum', but nope! 

Either way, not much else to say- the characters are wooden, the dialogue is stilted and robotic, and its basically A Penders Script. I kinda giggled at the attempt to set up the "Praetorian" family household being this uber science-y thing that allowed Lara to know about Quantum Physics of all things, given that neither she, her father nor her mother ever demonstrated any kind of interest or extensive knowledge in science of any sort. 

But hey, "Echyd'nya' are meant to be ALL about the science, so of course this is the case even when its never demonstrated at any meaningful level by characters. But hey, that's just par the course for Penders' ideas of world building- aliens gotta have a schtick, they gotta follow that schtick. Star Trek said it was alright, guys. 

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I can't get over the fact he literally took a swear from Battlestar Galactica and just flipped two letters.

...goddammit you're right. It IS just "Frak" with the letters re-arranged. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Wow, yeah, I completely forgot that too.  So much for almost giving him credit for new work.

(If Paul's link isn't working for anyone, copy/paste this instead of clicking: https://web.archive.org/web/20130715220914/http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2549  Stadium's always been weird with letting links to Ken's forum work right for some reason.)

Well, at least there's a few changes, like it moving forward a few pages, and... Actually, that's about it.  Apart from one piece of scene direction grammar being fixed (something that won't even be seen in the finished product), the latter half of this is completely identical to the old version, unless I'm overlooking something.

Honestly, the dialogue in the new first half of this scene actually feels more rough and stilted than the old dialogue, especially in the exchange with Cobar.  And the "REALLY?!  That's not what I call a plan."

Also, why did she swear excitedly from being surprised by an explosion?

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats to Penders for showing us the same shit from 2013!  I believe a round of applause is in order.

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I can't get over the fact he literally took a swear from Battlestar Galactica and just flipped two letters.

Yeah, I would have figured on Star Trek or Superman, personally.

35 minutes ago, goldenchimchar said:

Congrats to Penders for showing us the same shit from 2013!  I believe a round of applause is in order.

He can have the same applause (if any) I gave him for it seven years ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

I found the whole thing pretty boring to read and just unappealing, and you know what reading this makes me realize the biggest issue with Ken's post endgame stories, rather than make his stories fit in with the source material, he instead made the source material fit with his stories. I mean why make the Echidna's nearly extinct when you could just throw the idea of them being close to extinct out the window.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bit hard to take that seriously when you literally have copyright free Knuckles and Sonic in the book, Ken.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Bit hard to take that seriously when you literally have copyright free Knuckles and Sonic in the book, Ken.

I know knuckles is K’nox the praetor but I never heard of the copy right free sonic in the book

Just now, Leebo4 said:

I know knuckles is K’nox the praetor but I never heard of the copy right free sonic in the book

It was awhile ago, but IIRC - there was a Sonic expy mentioned at one point or another, although that could be false memory playing on me.

32 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It was awhile ago, but IIRC - there was a Sonic expy mentioned at one point or another, although that could be false memory playing on me.

He was mentioned on Geoffrey Character Sheet as a "blue spinned Erinaceinae".

EDIT : I love how all species are mentionned via their scientific name (Ericnaceinae, Meptidae)... but K'nox is an Echidn'ya. Really consistent.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

35 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I look forward to seeing how Scourge the Evil Sonic, the evil counterpart of Sonic the Hedgehog is used as he is not at all dependent on his good counterpart without whom he wouldn't exist...Honestly take the Sonic out of him and all you have is a school yard bully from the 80s who is only just looking for girls when he's not operating as someone else's grunt.

Honestly, a fresh start would help that statement out a lot but hey, nothing says I don't need the SEGA and DiC cast like continuing the story that had them and reprinting stories that did

• Thumbs Up 5

45 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

He was mentioned on Geoffrey Character Sheet as a "blue spinned Erinaceinae".

EDIT : I love how all species are mentionned via their scientific name (Ericnaceinae, Meptidae)... but K'nox is an Echidn'ya. Really consistent.

Don't forget the 'Princess of Acorn' and 'Warlord Kintobor', whom likewise are SURELY not at ALL connected with pre-existing characters that originated in the Sonic franchise, no sir. 

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if the characters weren't virtually unchanged from their appearances in Archie Sonic to still bear resemblance to Sonic characters that even non-fans notice it or the fact that he's also talked about how there's some legal precedent for him to collect the old Archie stories. He can't have it both ways.

That's been the warped peculiarity of Penders ever since this nonsense first started- he simultaneously wants to 'prove' his characters are unique and can do well on their own without Sonic, yet at the same time he is wholly unwilling to truly sever the connection and start anew, insisting on maintaining this as a continuation of the stories he started in Sonic even as doing so is detrimental to the first point he's trying to make, and yet paradoxically he wants to champion his characters as having been essential to the Sonic comics in the first place. 

His tune changes to whatever he thinks will make him look important at a given moment regardless of how much it contradicts his past statements. This guy doesn't just want to have his cake and eat it, he wants the whole damn bakery to go with it. 

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, horridus said:

This guy doesn't just want to have his cake and eat it, he wants the whole damn bakery to go with it. 

Despite having diabetes, no less.

(I'm not saying he actually has diabetes, I'm just following the metaphor.)

The Mystery of Xero may well be the single most silly and clichéd title he could have possibly chosen for any of these volumes.

• Thumbs Up 5

They're pretty much all terrible. I think Cyberdark Colony might be my "favorite" (as in, the most ridiculous-sounding).

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

They're pretty much all terrible. I think Cyberdark Colony might be my "favorite" (as in, the most ridiculous-sounding).

You know, the 'best' part about that one? Is that 'Cyberdark' is actually a Deck Type from Yu-Gi-Oh

https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberdark

Yep. The silly sounding thing from a silly Children's Card Game is evidently good enough for his Big Serious Book. Not that I think he lifted it, honestly- Yu-Gi-Oh is so far outside his frame of pop culture reference that I really do think, by utter coincidence, he would have come up with 'Cyberdark' on his own... with the sole difference being he expects people to take it seriously. 

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

https://www.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1240376898447794176

"I look at the stories I wrote as stories featuring Sonic and Knuckles but they could be replaced." Yup. That sounds about right. 

One must appreciate his endless capacity to own himself. One of the biggest criticisms against his work for Sonic over the years is precisely this- that he basically used the books he worked on to write his own  personal story while only including Sonic elements as an afterthought. That in essence he rode the coattails of a very successful franchise and used it for his own ends rather than actually caring about the thing he was being paid to write for. In saying this, he has pretty much confirmed one of the single biggest criticisms of his entire body of work and the legitimacy of his time on Sonic and Knuckles. 

That he cannot recognize the contradiction or just how badly he comes off is at once hilarious and endlessly tragic. 

• Thumbs Up 8

It's a reference to a James Bond flick, yes-

spacer.png

Guy loves himself some James Bond references. To the point of Ad Nauseum. 

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, horridus said:

Guy loves himself some James Bond references. To the point of Ad Nauseum. 

Or to the point of just plain nausea, when you consider how he perceives Geoffrey's love life.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

In saying this, he has pretty much confirmed one of the single biggest criticisms of his entire body of work and the legitimacy of his time on Sonic and Knuckles. 

But it was definitely just Sega's fault he couldn't be bothered.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 2

2 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

On his majesty’s secret service

i am pretty sure that is the name of a James Bond adventure

It's also a title he used before for a Geoffrey St. John backup story that had him put together the Secret Service. 

• Promotion 4