Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Someone said the fleetway comcis made something it’s own while following the canon guidelines, not sure about that since at the time most sonic games didn’t have much story and so the only other material to get inspiration from was the tv shows at the time. Even if you hate the soap opera drama, it did give Archie sonic an identity of sort

plus from what I read when he did have to adapt a game with a story one o the sonic adventure games (can’t remember which one), he and the other staff had to work on adapting the story of a game that wasn’t translated into English for them so give them credit for that

plus can I please ask again if anyone has any details for what was going to happen in the original version of the sally miniseries where Alicia was to be the villain

Was it Penders that wrote the story that revealed that Robotnik had a secret protocol that not even his staff knew about that, in that should he ever truly lose control over the world, he would command all his artillery to just eradicate the entire thing so no one else would take it from him?

Starting to sound familiar now.

It sounds like Penders is insistent that Sonic, in some form or other, is going to be the thing he makes his legacy out of, and if he can't, he'll recklessly try to gouge chunks of its property for himself. Stuff like EVIL SONIC AND ROBO ROBOTNIK is just as unusable for him in this legal stance, but if he can't use it, then NO ONE can.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I-uh-wha-erm

Ken, you did not create the continuity that came after your run. Ian Flynn built the majority of it. Even during what you created - Bollers also built a lot of it, as did Gallagher. You can't just take a non-relevant continuity and say "oh yeah, I have legal ownership to this since SEGA/Archie won't ". That ain't how it works.

I'm pretty sure that's more SEGA's than anyone else's even if there are several elements that legally don't belong to them. I'm convinced that if Jack Kirby and Stan Lee rose from the grave just to tell Ken where he legally stands, and what he can do to continue his story he'd condescendingly tell the legendary duo how wrong they are like he does everyone else.

The only way I can imagine he can access everything Archie had is by doing a non profit web comic. But no he wants money, he wants to publish graphic novels and an app and probably a whole franchise, and that's just never gonna happen. Reboot and reinvent your characters Ken. You can't profit off of Archie and SEGA's long since expired sloppy seconds.

• Thumbs Up 8

Okay I answered my question as I found out Alicia was going to be ruling over a society of robians, saw it while looking in one’s twitter trying to find his thoughts on the sonic movie

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:29 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I-uh-wha-erm

Ken, you did not create the continuity that came after your run. Ian Flynn built the majority of it. Even during what you created - Bollers also built a lot of it, as did Gallagher. You can't just take a non-relevant continuity and say "oh yeah, I have legal ownership to this since SEGA/Archie won't ". That ain't how it works.

The fact he genuinely believes that this is solely his creation is mind boggling. Hell he didn't even write the first not-pun filled non-jokey script. Angelo DeCasare wrote it. I can't think of the title but it was a story about Robotnik using a giant Magnet to capture Bunnie. It's still a little goofy but it's played more straight like an adventure than wall to wall puns.

Also for claiming he cares about creators getting proper credit for their work he sure seems to ignore literally every other writer who isn't him. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I decided to keep reading and this tweet caught my eye. This point makes absolutely no sense.
I don't think SEGA was concerned with the potential of Knuckles having an ongoing comic book when they were making him for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. No one needs to know who Knuckles mother and father are, never mind every last grandfather he has. He doesn't need a girlfriend he doesn't need Echidnaopolis and he doesn't need the Dark Legion. All of these things made Knuckles into the polar opposite of who he was. Knuckles has plenty to work with to have a day in the limelight but a full ongoing series dedicated to him? Not really, in fact I don't think many Sonic characters can hold an ongoing for very long, in fact I think that's why Sonic Universe was a stroke of genius on Archie's part.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yes because there's absolutely nothing you could have pulled from the level design of Sonic 3&K. Definitely nothing you could have based a narrative off of.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 2

4 hours ago, SkullPirateMike said:

When I was talking to him he said Sega provided him materials showing the teleporters in Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary and he ignored them because they seemed too advanced for an ancient civilization. The details of the material he was provided changes based on what suits him at the time.

That's the most hilarious ironic statement I've ever read. 

• Fist Bump 3

That's funny considering 4 years ago you tweeted this.

This is why you should always plan ahead and consider all possible outcomes instead of potentially wasting lots of money. All this says to me is your still working on the first and no doubt only installment of this series.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

That's funny considering 4 years ago you tweeted this.

This is why you should always plan ahead and consider all possible outcomes instead of potentially wasting lots of money. All this says to me is your still working on the first and no doubt only installment of this series.

Does anyone know if he actually purchased any copyrights like Karl bollers

As far as I can tell no, which I hope remains the case because I'd much rather Penders stay far away from Mina, Ash and Dr. Finitevus.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

This is some astonishing lack of self-awareness on display.

5 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

As far as I can tell no, which I hope remains the case because I'd much rather Penders stay far away from Mina, Ash and Dr. Finitevus.

You mean Miba, O'sh, and Dr. Infinitevus?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 2

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

This is some astonishing lack of self-awareness on display.

You mean Miba, O'sh, and Dr. Infinitevus?

Wouldn’t care about ash but I do want to see Mina again in the sonic franchise 

Honestly if Mina were to ever return I kinda want a flip of the dynamic between her and Sonic. Her already being a big music superstar and Sonic being a big fan of hers to the point where he clearly has a crush on her but denies it everytime it's brought up. 

• Nice Smile 1

If Penders had any kind of ownership of any of the other writers work on the book, he'd have said something by now. Much like his insistence on mentioning Scourge in the hopes of peeling over fans of the character to his insipid project, he wouldn't be able to resist bringing up any of the characters with a bit of popularity in the hopes of netting in more potential customers. The fact that he needed to replace Athair with Auri-On makes it pretty clear that he couldn't secure the rights to any of Gallagher's characters, and its a safe bet that no, he wouldn't be able to do the same with any of the other Archie Sonic creatives, regardless of whatever excuse he concocts. 

Frankly it all kind of highlights his unwillingness to really sever the Sonic connection, because things like Auri-On and 'The Emissary' show that he CAN in fact rework things to be more original- he just refuses to do so unless he absolutely HAS to change things, or if its something he doesn't think is worth keeping as close as possible. Hence why Rotor becomes a new, Rhino character, but we still have 'Warlord Kintobor' and 'Princess of Acorn', to say ntohing of Echydnya and K'nox and the Praetorian and on and on and on.... 

• Thumbs Up 7

26 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly if Mina were to ever return I kinda want a flip of the dynamic between her and Sonic. Her already being a big music superstar and Sonic being a big fan of hers to the point where he clearly has a crush on her but denies it everytime it's brought up. 

Penders has a history of writing Mina in an absolutely atrocious manner, I'd rather take her being gone forever now than having Penders take a dump on her again.

• Thumbs Up 8

we all see the REAL picture in the background right ?

we all see the REAL picture in the background right ?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2020 at 4:25 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

What Penders' fails to realise is it doesn't matter if he originally used the concept of Evil Sonic (which for the record - he cannot claim ownership over, because you cannot copyright an general idea - meaning he can't copyright the concept of "evil characters", a concept for the record originated by Star Trek). Evil Sonic the Hedgehog is still just that - an evil Sonic the Hedgehog, but Sonic the Hedgehog nonetheless. 

I agree with this because I believe that evil or mirror characters are not OC's because they're literally the character, just evil or good. Their personalities are twisted, but generally the same. In essence Evil Sonic is a more malicious version of Sonic's character flaws. He's overly cocky and is selfish where Sonic keeps his lesser traits in balance with his good ones. The Issue with Scourge stating it would take one bad day for Sonic to end up like him is a good example of this point where in opposition the reverse is true of Scourge. It's basically the balance nature rule that there can't be ultimate good without ultimate evil. Mobius being the prime and Moebius being the mirror where everything is opposite. Having an opposite or mirror reality is not a new concept and shouldn't be treated as an OC idea by Penders. 

However, he won't admit this fact and keep claim over characters he shouldn't have in the first place over some twisted pettiness that suits his own ill-fated comic book which will never see the light of day. The problem with Penders stems from the fact that he had free reign for way too long and when his ideas were suddenly questioned it sent him on a downward spiral. The entire situation could've definitely been handled better on all sides. 

This is a dumb question, but would it actually be so cut and dry that he could just buy those copyrights off of whoever they defaulted to? I'm aware he probably has control of a few characters that were created in more collaborative efforts (iirc, Kragok, Enerjak, and Rob O among others). Like, my personal feelings about that aside, every time he brings up something like this (publicly, no less) it's always just grease a few hands and he can do whatever he wants. Why would anyone just sell things off to him and not insist on either being cut in or given a spot on his book? How do we know Archie or Sega doesn't have some claim over these characters because the ones not tied down by Penders and Fulop probably aren't actually copyrighted the same way? All we know is that Archie cut their losses and started over because everything else was so dubious that it wouldn't even be worth the effort; no contracts mean they'd have to get the old creators to sign new, retroactive ones and they'd have no incentive to give that up.

Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. I just don't see it as an "easy" thing regardless of the situation.

I'm probably just repeating myself, at this point it sounds like he's just saying shit to get the fans Archie and Sega burned with the book's final cancellation on board so when it comes out he couldn't do it he'll have an excuse and convenient scapegoats to blame later on.

To be honest I'd imagine anyone Ken approached turned him down because they see it for the sinking ship that it is, and it'd be wiser to wait and see if IDW (with SEGA's blessing) approaches them to buy their characters off of them and possibly come back to write the comic if not for the new continuity then for a potential continuation of the Post Genesis Archie comic (which is just me hoping that happens one day.)

I imagine Archie didn't try to buy back the rights to the characters they lost because aside from only needing the game cast and to a lesser extent the Freedom Fighters, it'd be a waste of money on Archie's part to buy back characters they'd lose to SEGA if the license got pulled, which seeing as how it did...
But since IDW isn't facing that problem there's always a chance at least for every character not created by Penders and probably Fullops as well.

16 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Penders has a history of writing Mina in an absolutely atrocious manner, I'd rather take her being gone forever now than having Penders take a dump on her again.

Well I meant if they could ever officially use her in the IDW comic or something.