Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Ken needs to look at what animation is currently out there. Not even close to the style of LSC. Like a lot of things need to change for it work in a 2d or 3d animation.

Unless it's a so bad it's good, poorly animated 3D animation... Then I could see a lot people watching it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I assume he means its more viable because an animated project wouldn't need the gathering of people a live action one would.

I don't know if anyone would want to work on a movie starring a bunch of walking talking alien Knuckles rip offs for a movie that SEGA could probably step in and put a stop to if they wanted. Even if the movie does get made it'd probably be in the discounted movie pile in a Walmart or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new app date.

Yup, he's aiming for September. Will he go through with it? Well look at the next tweet he put out and judge for yourself.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new app date.

Yup, he's aiming for September. Will he go through with it? Well look at the next tweet he put out and judge for yourself.

Experience says 'no'. He's said things like this in the past, mentioned 'possible' releases and then come up with nothing. Off the top of my head I can recall him gunning for a winter release, and twice he said he'd have it ready for SDCC. To say nothing of "Coming Soon in 2012!". 

Also.... call me crazy, but methinks he'd be better off if he just focused on getting Lara's story out before he decided to branch out into side-stories. Call it a hunch. Ah, but then, that would mean actually WRITING about his teenaged protagonist, and lord knows the guy hates writing teenagers. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, horridus said:

He claims that he HOPES to have something out by Summer,

3 Months ago it was this now we're just about at summer and we have another 3 months away release plan.

22 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

3 Months ago it was this now we're just about at summer and we have another 3 months away release plan.

Well, technically, summer ends on September 22nd with the Fall Equinox, so he might still make it! /s 

6 minutes ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

Well, technically, summer ends on September 22nd with the Fall Equinox, so he might still make it! /s 

While we're being technical by summer would be a date before summer starts.

20 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I mean, just going off that quote, it doesn't specify *which* summer.

Man Summer 3010 is going to be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 4
  • Way Past Cool 1

Or you could just focus on English and focus on other translations later.

Considering he hasn't put out a single book, I can't help but I feel like it'd be more appropriate to replace story line with plans. The only positive that could come from this would be someone fixing Ken's characters if Ken allows it.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Or you could just focus on English and focus on other translations later.

Considering he hasn't put out a single book, I can't help but I feel like it'd be more appropriate to replace story line with plans. The only positive that could come from this would be someone fixing Ken's characters if Ken allows it.

I pity anyone who would write/draw/work for Ken. He's shown to be incredibly nitpicky over any art that isn't his, especially fan artists. The work they hand in would be skewed by him until its unrecognizable.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would say, see how the first book goes before even making side stories and such... but this is the same guy who tried to make a movie for 'best selling' comic book. So...

Ah... looks like I'm out. It was tempting.  Clip studio is best for the manga style comics. Considering that Penders has Clip Studio, he probably would've had an easier time if he just made the comic black and white.

• Nice Smile 1

Isn't the going page rate something in the low 3 figures area? Thats going to get expensive fast.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:45 PM, horridus said:

He's got... hiiiiigh hopes, he's got... hiiiiigh hopes, he's got high apple pie in the skyyyyy hopes~

But seriously.... you have neither one nor the other out. You haven't given much clue as to how long until EITHER of these things will be released. Perhaps you should just stick to one project, finish it, and then move on to other things, yes? 

His plans are way too ambitious for something that isn't even out yet! I think you should see if the series is even a slight success before trying to get an animated series off the ground. 

On one hand, I'd like to say that it's not that bad to speculate on what the project could become, as long as it's in the purely speculative "if this is a success, I could see animation being a suitable form for the adaption".

But what Ken has said is fucking idiotic. First off - animation isn't any more or less viable in "quarantine era" than live action. Especially for a show. You still need a crap ton of animators/artists packed into a small building. This has been a direct reason why a crap ton of anime shows are now delayed to either fall, or next year - because no one can work on them. 

Secondly - it's irrelevant, and stupid. Ken hasn't released a book in 9 years since this fucking thing was announced. Not only would a animated series be utterly foolish when this book hasn't been released, especially since there's almost definitely gonna be a major recession, come the end of the whole mess, but the quarantine is going to be done and over long before Ken gets a single episode of animation done with his current work ethic. And if he tried to get funding, he'd probably get laughed out of the building. 

It comes off as Ken just trying to sound relevant for the sake of it, despite how dumb it makes him sound.  

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

16 hours ago, AlienBunny said:

I would say, see how the first book goes before even making side stories and such... but this is the same guy who tried to make a movie for 'best selling' comic book. So...

Ah... looks like I'm out. It was tempting.  Clip studio is best for the manga style comics. Considering that Penders has Clip Studio, he probably would've had an easier time if he just made the comic black and white.

Given that Ken's definition of 'cartoony' is rather broad, this'd take a while even if he didn't have such an odious personality. Back on his forum several artists got together to demonstrate ways he could make the Echyd'nya more visually distinct from the Sega Echidna. One design in particular was a humanoid that looked like it could could have been descended from octopi, that none the less retained the very basic ideas of the Echyd'nya design put forth by Penders. 

Penders dismissed it as being 'too Disney', despite the fact that it was more realistic looking than his own work. Granted I think he said that both out of spite and due to being obstinate about wanting his oh so original work to be blatantly derivative of Sonic, but still, if THAT'S indicative of what he considers 'cartoony' then he's gonna be hard pressed to find someone who can fulfill his 'unique' desires. 

I remember that happening, but I don't remember what it looked like. Is the image still floating around somewhere?

Just now, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I remember that happening, but I don't remember what it looked like. Is the image still floating around somewhere?

I doubt it. Last I checked, the web archives didn't save the images that were posted there. I do remember though that, while humanoid, it was way more alien than anything to do with the Echyd'nya... so naturally, Ken had to disparage it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Probably still exists on Pender's forums. Although it would probably be hard to find.

48 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

Probably still exists on Pender's forums. Although it would probably be hard to find.

Aren't Ken Penders' forums down or did he finally bring them back?

7 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Aren't Ken Penders' forums down or did he finally bring them back?

Yeah, they've been down for a while now. Even before that he just kinda stopped posting there and focused all his time on Twitter. 

Could be wrong, but I don't think the drawings were posted exclusively on Penders' forms, I think they were also on Tumblr or something. Not that that really narrows it down, but just saying I don't think they're gone for good.