Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On one hand, it's easier on the eyes to leave it be, on the other hand that's probably completely illegal to leave things as they were. Just because Archie no longer publishes Sonic doesn't mean everything from said comic is in the Public Domain Ken.

11 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Oh jeez. It's been a while since I've combed through the series so I'm bad at spotting who does what at this point. Except Ron Lim. Couldn't forget that if I tried.

Edit: Still, I am curious if Penders is working with the original art teams on those stories and getting their blessing before republishing anything.

Penders has been asked about that, about whether or not he's received permission from the various artists, colorists and inkers whose work is ultimately being used in this project. He's never actually said yes and has merely given vague assurances that he's 'got this', much like whenever he's questioned about the fact that while he might own the stories, a lot of those stories explicitly feature characters trademarked and copyrighted by SEGA. 

11 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Hedgefox is known for posting links to pirated scans of the Archie comics.  So, does this mean Ken is using pirated scans for Beginnings?  Because that'd actually be kind of hilarious.

Hilarious, and appropriately very pathetic. Sheesh. 

4 hours ago, Adamis said:

When I translated this story three years ago *, he provided me with just (bad) scans of the pages.

* He recently asked me to translate the story. Which I did. In 2017. He forgot and was ready to pay a second time for that work.

Huh. That is... somewhat concerning that he doesn't seem able to keep track of details like that. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:11 AM, horridus said:

Penders has been asked about that, about whether or not he's received permission from the various artists, colorists and inkers whose work is ultimately being used in this project. He's never actually said yes and has merely given vague assurances that he's 'got this', much like whenever he's questioned about the fact that while he might own the stories, a lot of those stories explicitly feature characters trademarked and copyrighted by SEGA. 

Hilarious, and appropriately very pathetic. Sheesh. 

Huh. That is... somewhat concerning that he doesn't seem able to keep track of details like that. 

You think he just forgets what he said or did in the past and just repeats them again and again repeatedly because he thinks they're new, hence why his work is stuck in place?

29 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

You think he just forgets what he said or did in the past and just repeats them again and again repeatedly because he thinks they're new, hence why his work is stuck in place?

Entirely possible, given that he forgot that he was the one who revealed that Kragok was Remington's father. But I was thinking more like, it doesn't say anything good about how seriously he is actually taking this if he can't keep track of things like what he's paid for and the like, especially given how much he touts himself as both a professional and as someone with business sense. 

ok so I have never heard about this Ken Penders guy in my life.. not even in his art, which I thought was weird for sonic, but it could work. and the writing was also pretty nice from what I heard.

I've seen most of what he's done during the past few days, when I say his face, he looked like one of this anime fat guys who stalk young ladies. I thought the movie pitch wasn't all that great; no polish, baddish acting, and no direction into what the movie is about, especially when you look at the concept art and stuff. The Lara Su Chronicles...…..eeeehhh, I don't know how to feel about it. and most of his art ranges from pretty neat, to inaccurate, to just straight up ugly.

If Ken is still thinking of how to fit current world topics into this thing, he will never finish it.

• Thumbs Up 2

What could possibly go wrong making a movie based off of a comic that only lasted but a single issue. He could have spent all this time working on a Lost Ones graphic novel reboot which probably could have gotten him some good will at least but, nope. Gotta be those Echidna's.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

What could possibly go wrong making a movie based off of a comic that only lasted but a single issue. He could have spent all this time working on a Lost Ones graphic novel reboot which probably could have gotten him some good will at least but, nope. Gotta be those Echidna's.

This has been mentioned to him before. In the end he's all too aware that the Sonic stuff is the only thing that makes him even remotely noteworthy or brought him any kind of fame. It's not about vision or wanting to continue the stories he started in Archie- it's about desperately trying to monetize whatever popularity he had in those days in whatever way he can. 

Personally I'm still giggling at him talking about producing and directing films as if any of his works have been released in any capacity. That's akin to talking as if having written a manuscript makes you a writer. 

You must have some VERY childish friends, Penders. Both for having asked something that asinine and for them believing that you are in any way capable of actually addressing something like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

You must have some VERY childish friends, Penders. Both for having asked something that asinine and for them believing that you are in any way capable of actually addressing something like that. 

Penders better watch himself. A certain person compared Sonic to real life events recently and it didn't end well for him. Of course, both of these people are egotistical crazies who do anything for attention so pea's in a pod.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 4 weeks later...

My my my, it has been nearly a month since we posted here. Well, do pardon me for dusting the old place off, but we've finally gotten something that provides a bit... insight? I suppose? On TLSC.

That's nice, Ken. I mean sure you've announced your intention to replace Athair with a woman called Auri-On, but sure, whatever you say. Until you actually get this story out, we don't really have any way of actually verifying anything you say regarding this, and given the vast swathes of things you don't own, it's a tad dubious to believe that this is in fact the case. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, there has been some indication of what he's doing with this.  In the previews for The Storm, we can see changes happening to the world because of what happened at the end of M25YL.  The implication seems to be that Sonic messing with the timestream is causing reality to alter, and that it's creating a new timeline where some things are different, and that the original timeline(s) still exist somewhere.

Of course, he's explaining it really poorly, and it definitely doesn't help that Sonic going back in time and changing things shouldn't even remotely affect things like Athair being replaced.

I think the problem is that Ken's seeing it as Sonic going back in time 25 years somehow alters ALL of history like the Genesis Wave, but he doesn't understand that everyone else is looking at it with actual time travel logic instead of Genesis Wave logic.  He's basically drinking Pepsi from a Coke can and wondering why everyone else is assuming he's drinking Coke.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 3

7 hours ago, horridus said:

My my my, it has been nearly a month since we posted here. Well, do pardon me for dusting the old place off, but we've finally gotten something that provides a bit... insight? I suppose? On TLSC.

Homer said it best that one time:

NH92wY.gif

But seriously, though, I wonder if this is just him reiterating that "everything is canon," just in a different, cloudier way.

• Thumbs Up 5

So my guess is he's trying to say that the altered timeline is still basically the same but with alterations like everyone being nightmarish abominations and Athair being a woman somehow.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

But seriously, though, I wonder if this is just him reiterating that "everything is canon," just in a different, cloudier way.

Oh, most definitely. One of the major themes of this entire escapade (asides from Egomania and Unrealistic Expectations in general) has been Ken wanting to have his cake and to eat it. He's trying to cast as wide a net as he can with regards to the pre-reboot continuity despite all the logical factors keeping it from actually being able to harmoniously exist as a canon with his current direction. It's little more than a cynical attempt to draw people in with something he can't really use. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1285319750927609856

So safe bet that he's missed yet another deadline he's set for himself. I can't imagine how he feels busier now than when he was actually held to a deadline.

Oh, most definitely. I regret that we will not witness him bending himself into a pretzel justifying why he still has nothing for Comic-Con, but we knew it would be this way one way or the other. 

Does Half Life: Alex count as Half Life 3? Because if it does, we actually got Half Life 3 before Ken released an issue of TLSC. Like, holy Jesus, it's been about ten years since this shitstorm started? Ken is actually going to die from old age before this comic gets done. It might not even get started if he continues on like this...

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay, so I haven’t fully kept up with this topic (as usual) for the past year or so. Which I suppose is a good thing.

But I came in just to ask one simple question: How much of this project has he actually completed? He isn’t still on his first book, is he?

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Okay, so I haven’t fully kept up with this topic (as usual) for the past year or so. Which I suppose is a good thing.

But I came in just to ask one simple question: How much of this project has he actually completed? He isn’t still on his first book, is he?

He's released several pages of the tie-in prequel comic (which is meant to bridge the gap between 25YL and TLSC), and a scant few pages and other images of the first book. There's little indication of where he's at precisely with the first book, but given how sporadically he releases stuff and the fact he still has yet to give even a vague idea of when precisely any of this will be released, it's pretty safe to say that his progress has been utterly minimal. 

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, horridus said:

He's released several pages of the tie-in prequel comic (which is meant to bridge the gap between 25YL and TLSC), and a scant few pages and other images of the first book. There's little indication of where he's at precisely with the first book, but given how sporadically he releases stuff and the fact he still has yet to give even a vague idea of when precisely any of this will be released, it's pretty safe to say that his progress has been utterly minimal. 

You think with how much time has past he’d have made some serious progress. It’s been years now.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

You think with how much time has past he’d have made some serious progress. It’s been years now.

Aye. By the time of this year's end it will officially have been nine years since he first announced this project ("Coming Soon in 2012!"), and when 2022 rolls on by an entire decade will have passed, and he will still have nothing to show for all his hyping, his boasting and all his making a jackass out of himself on twitter.

In short? EXACTLY what his various critics and detractors said would happen. 

• Thumbs Up 7

8 hours ago, horridus said:

Aye. By the time of this year's end it will officially have been nine years since he first announced this project ("Coming Soon in 2012!"), and when 2022 rolls on by an entire decade will have passed, and he will still have nothing to show for all his hyping, his boasting and all his making a jackass out of himself on twitter.

In short? EXACTLY what his various critics and detractors said would happen. 

Not only that, but if he takes that long and still has nothing to show for it then it really sells how much of an asshole he was for engaging in this lawsuit to begin with and having swaths of characters get axed.

If I were in his position, I’d at least just demand royalties or something like that for my work and let the characters I made live on while people know I was involved and the one who made them. No need to take away something fans enjoyed only to never let them see the light of day for 10 fucking years, sheesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Not only that, but if he takes that long and still has nothing to show for it then it really sells how much of an asshole he was for engaging in this lawsuit to begin with and having swaths of characters get axed.

If I were in his position, I’d at least just demand royalties or something like that for my work and let the characters I made live on while people know I was involved and the one who made them. No need to take away something fans enjoyed only to never let them see the light of day for 10 fucking years, sheesh.

Penders has repeatedly claimed that that was, in fact, what he was after... unfortunately though that's not really the case. In addition to royalties Penders wanted to retain ownership of his characters, and the problem with THAT is that Archie could only publish Sonic so long as everything they made for the book was owned by SEGA. Penders retaining ownership of his characters would essentially make him a secondary licensor on the book, in violation of Archie's contract. And that's without getting into the fact he wanted control over decisions made about characters such as Julie-Su and Locke... or the fact he attempted, in lieu of money, tried to get his Knuckles' movie made instead...

Point of order- despite how Penders tries to play it, his demands were never, ever reasonable. 

And yeah... all that grief that happened with Archie has pretty much officially happened for nothing, because it's pretty clear at this point that Penders is never going to deliver on any of his grandiose promises. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 1