Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On 3/22/2021 at 1:41 PM, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Who cares about a app for a comic that doesn't exist.

On that matter:

Remind me if Shattered Tomorrows is even supposed to be the main comic itself or one of many spin-offs Penders has planned for this damn franchise.

Either way, he's apparently only just NOW "nailed" the opening segment for a 14-page comic.

One that he claims will actually come out this year.

Pardon me, but I have my doubts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

44 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Remind me if Shattered Tomorrows is even supposed to be the main comic itself or one of many spin-offs Penders has planned for this damn franchise.

Either wat, he's apparently only just NOW "nailed" the opening segment for a 14-page comic.

Penders is like that obnoxious forum fanboy who keeps droning on and on about his big dream project despite having almost nothing to show for it other than idea guy fairy tales, but he gets to do that as a paid career (I think; does he get paid these days?).

Also, gotta say, I've been lurking this thread for quite a while before signing up, and I want to thank you all for the pages of entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5
  • Fist Bump 1

For someone so dismissive of video games, it's funny to watch as he is basically giving us the Duke Nukem Forever of comics.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Either wat, he's apparently only just NOW "nailed" the opening segment for a 14-page

Ok not to defend him but he says it's a 14 page preview for the graphic novel which means it's most likely the first 14 pages which from what I've seen of Boom Studios Power Rangers OGN's isn't an unreasonable amount of pages for a graphic novel preview.

Teensy weensy sorta-update here. 

So, that's the con-lang of the Echyd'nya. I'm not dedicated enough to track this page down to do a side-by-side, but I'm reasonably certain it's a cipher as suggested earlier. I think I'd appreciate the effort to differentiate The Floating Island (Avion) a bit more if A) He hadn't gone on and on about how differences between the old and the new would be minimal and B ) If he didn't keep insisting on this being a hard sci-fi story and this being an utterly alien world while utilizing something clearly derived from Latin. 

That last one is a bit petty, I admit, especially given his refusal to undo the clearly Earth based names of many of the characters, but still. 

EDIT

Okay so I finally tracked down the page and did a side by side- whoever suggested the Echydnya language'd just be a font? They get a cookie, cause that's what it is, right down to the exclamation point getting its own symbol. 

I should also note that 'Avion' is a name used in He-Man, as the homeland for THIS guy- 

Stratos - He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

I'm honestly willing to give Penders the benefit of the doubt, but between this and the CyberDark thing... his independently creative abilities ain't lookin' so hot. 

"Avion" means "plane" in French.

Also, it's a last-minute rename as it was still "The Floating Island" in the app menu I translated a couple weeks ago.

Besides, I got new material to translate. 14 pages of "Shattered tomorrows". 3 finished pages (with "top quality" Photoshop work, you'll see) and the rest is in script format.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 hours ago, Adamis said:

"Avion" means "plane" in French.

Boy you really DO learn something new everyday, and that is so, so much better/worse.

Also, it's a last-minute rename as it was still "The Floating Island" in the app menu I translated a couple weeks ago.

Besides, I got new material to translate. 14 pages of "Shattered tomorrows". 3 finished pages (with "top quality" Photoshop work, you'll see) and the rest is in script format.

Huh, interesting. While I can understand the need to change 'The Floating Island' into something different/more unique (at least in theory), I do have to wonder what prompted the change so suddenly. 

And oh boy, I cannot wait to see what new and amazing ways Penders will disappoint us all. Shouldn't really be possible a this point, but it seems to be his one true talent. 

"Lara-Su would die of embarrassment if she saw herself portrayed this way." Girls don't like comics. ~Uber Feminist  Ken Penders.

Also oh, good we're going right back to bratty hateable M25YL Lara-Su. Awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

"Lara-Su would die of embarrassment if she saw herself portrayed this way." Girls don't like comics. ~Uber Feminist  Ken Penders.

Also oh, good we're going right back to bratty hateable M25YL Lara-Su. Awesome.

Oh come now, that's hardly fair- she's just starting out after all. She's BOUND to get better in due course. 

...by about volume 5 or thereabouts. So, effectively never. Whiner Lara is here to stay. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ken you can't reprint M25YL and just say that the unaltered 25YL!Knuckles is just the Praetorian. That's clearly Knuckles and always was intended to be Knuckles before you legally couldn't use Knuckles for your fanfic.

Except not really. I'd say Ian wrote a better story about it when the Archie comic needed to be rebooted.
Pre-Genesis Bunnie's original limbs were just turned robotic. Writing a story where her nervous system is no longer working well with her robotic limbs can justify a need to upgrade them and make it a interesting story but to me at least doesn't come off as the kind of story that anyone whose handicapped can relate to as opposed to Post Genesis Bunnie who had to have said limbs replaced to keep her alive and be be able to walk around like before.

Actually, if Knuckles could reply to any of that irrelevant debate he'd no doubt say none of that matters because he's red. But to get to the actual topic since this isn't the place to get into this, No Ken, like the person who tweeted their reply said. Mobius as far as the old continuity is concerned was confirmed to be a future Earth. SATam as was planned for Mobius in the SATam continuity. Knuckles isn't an alien here, he's just a highly evolved anthropomorphic Echidna.

Sonic isn't meant to be Star Trek Ken. Not every aspect of it has to be super scientific. Yes there's some Sci-Fi in it through Eggman and Tails being scientific genius and Shadow's backstory and creation being a created life form. But no one plays or reads Sonic for Sci-Fi.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the Bunnie thing. Is he talking about the story that ended with Bunnie talking about how hot her new parts made her look?

On the Mobius thing. Nice to see he's still showing the exact amount of respect for other writers and just how much their contributions actually matter to him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1375134610028294145

Welp that's it. My brain is fried. No connection to Sega. Jesus Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The M25YL K’Nox doesn’t look anything like the Knuckles marketed by SEGA. While people may disagree with that, legal precedent is on my side. Also, M25YL has no connection to anything SEGA related. So no, no worries at all on my part.

I don't know what precedent he could be referring to but I don't feel this is a situation like Scourge where he could smear the lines?

Like, sure, Scourge (or "Evil Sonic") is effectively a different character from another universe; yes, he's literally just biker gang Sonic but he's not Sonic. I'm not sure this tracks for M25YL Knuckles because that is Knuckles from the main comic book, just older. Even if the set up is Penders's, this is basically the character Sega marketed originally even if you want to argue about how much Archie diverged from the games anyway.

I can't tell if I'm missing something or if he's just baiting a C&D so he can push things onto Sega about how they don't want people reading the old stories even though he's the primary reason we can't have them.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I'm not sure this tracks for M25YL Knuckles because that is Knuckles from the main comic book, just older.

I don't remember how it shook out, but I seem to recall DC being involved in a case where Superboy -- the young, Smallville-raised version who escaped an exploding planet Krypton, rather than the clone or Superman's son -- was a different character from Superman.

What I do remember is that apparently caused DC some headaches for years with regards to who they could show and using the Superboy name.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, I'm getting a real laugh out of how oblivious he is to how his logic regarding the whole Knuckles Omnibus thing could screw him. By one way or the next he's acting as if ownership of the stories somehow overrides or sidesteps the copyrights of the characters and concepts not owned by him- Knuckles, Sonic, Chaos Emeralds, etc. 

So if he could do this as he says, then what would stop SEGA/Archie/IDW or what have you from reprinting Flynn's stories given that, while they all feature stuff that belongs to him, they are not WRITTEN by him? Like, for any of this to work, he's basically arguing that copyright and ownership is functionally worthless. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

7 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Hopefully no one tells him.

Wouldn't matter, cuz he'll be like 'Oh I have lawyers protecting me, so no copyright law in the universe can stop me'!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

10 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Hopefully no one tells him.

I literally was trying to tell him that but he's so fucking pig-headed he doesn't care. You tell him "Hey you don't really have the right to reprint comicsfeaturing other people's property" and he just responds with "The courts were in my favor" nevermind the case was actually dismissed and settled out of court IIRC but whatever! 

I honestly at this point hope he gets a rude awakening and gets his ass sued into oblivion. I don't care if he "Never signed a contract" (Then how the fuck were you employed and got paid?) I'm just at the point where I want to see him get what's coming to him.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

More specifically, hopefully no one he might listen to tells him.

Is that even possible?!?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

More specifically, hopefully no one he might listen to tells him.

I doubt even the ghost of Jack Kirby could get through to Penders at this point. The man could try to explain the difference in creating as well as co-creating many iconic characters and stories where they could still stand on their own outside of being tied to the greater universe as opposed to creating characters solely for a licensed property that you can't really use anyway.

The man'll only acknowledge the facts he wants to acknowledge when he wants to acknowledge them.

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 weeks later...

So, just out of curiosity - when is his ETA For this awful project? He also keeps mentioning an “app”, I’m actually too lazy to try and google that or search in the App Store.... but he actually made an app for this “thing”? 

does anyone have screenshots of it (if that’s true and I didn’t miss read this)?

12 hours ago, OwlEyes said:

So, just out of curiosity - when is his ETA For this awful project? He also keeps mentioning an “app”, I’m actually too lazy to try and google that or search in the App Store.... but he actually made an app for this “thing”? 

does anyone have screenshots of it (if that’s true and I didn’t miss read this)?

He's had several deadlines in the past and failed to meet all of them, the earliest being when he announced it was 'coming soon in 2012!'. As for the App, it's something he's spoken of often, and he IS doing work on it. He's even said he's 'aiming' for SOMETHING to be released this summer, but given his past failures when it comes to this, nobody is holding their breath. 

So in short? This project is officially in 'it'll be finished when it's finished' mode. 

14 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

So uh: 

I really cannot wait to see the self-published Lost Ones novel, because we all know if ANYTHING ever comes of that godforsaken project of his, THAT would be the most likely to actually manifest. Slightly concerned as to what this 'project' is, but given his track record, I'm not exactly holding my breath for anything of substance to manifest... as per the norm for Penders.