Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

15 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

it's just...these two are random echidnas, who do nothing and have nothing remotely interesting about them. 

And Penders seems to have forgotten that the internet is a thing so a quick background check on their (lack of ) character is inevitable. 

He can't get away with just suggesting that they're some important characters that we should be shell-shocked are back. 

3 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Meanwhile, I'm here just trying to figure out what at all the second tweet he made as a reply has to do with the first, with no in-between to connect the two.

"I had peanut butter and bologna for lunch today. It's usually peanut butter and ham, but I like to shake things up. Also, Sir Connery will appear in THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES. He hasn't been seen since that one story he appeared in!"

I looked through the thread and he's replying to someone who asked about this rando new character but for some reason he replied to his own tweet instead of the guy asking the question. 

Oh boy, Jaker and Perriwinkle. They haven't been seen since their debut issue in Sonic issue 131! I sure hope he brings back Bimmy too. I'll be super disappointed if he doesn't.

Just because you gave them with a name for their single appearance doesn't mean they are memorable characters with any kind of a fan following. But then again.. given that this is Penders we are taking about... it would actually be more surprising if he did realize this.

I want to make a joke who Penders should bring next, but I can't.

Jaker appears in 1 panel and has 1 line of dialogue. A single sentence.

That's a new low.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That's a new low.

Oh, he's a preexisting character? I thought that was the new male lead who I guess is going to be Lara's love interest or whatever. 

21 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Oh, he's a preexisting character? I thought that was the new male lead who I guess is going to be Lara's love interest or whatever. 

That guy was already revealed.

tumblr_phwo1wNugX1upract_540.jpg

• My Emmerdoods 1

9 hours ago, Razule said:

Yeah that's who I thought Ken was talking about. 

I remember old Professor Chins McGee, master of Echidna Exposition. He was the true hero of Mobius 25 Years Later because he gave me shit to talk about at the start of that really long, boring story where nothing happens aside from a bunch of moms making plans for dinner over Skype.

Didn't care enough to remember his name was Perriwinkle. You sure that's not Pair-of-Wrinkles? 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Didn't care enough to remember his name was Perriwinkle. You sure that's not Pair-of-Wrinkles? 

Literally the only reason I matched up "Mr. Perriwinkle" to that echidna is because "oh yeah, he's the guy who looked like he was melting".

16 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That's a new low.

Probably Random Echyd'nya #666 from the K'Nox: 20 Years Later comic series. (I think I spelled them correctly?)

I'll be honest, I believe very few people that even read this whenever it comes out are going to recognize/remember those obscure one-shot characters from 17-18 years ago when that story was first made, especially when they go through the "uncanny valley sci-fi treatment". 

And wow, almost forgot about the alien fusion version of Geordi La Forge and Kanye West.

• 3 weeks later...

Not so much an update as it is an occurrence related to LSC, but Penders has decided to share this-

Given that Penders repeatedly stated Hershey and Geoffrey weren't a thing in LSC, I'm a little shocked by him evidently indulging this given his usual attitude towards the things that didn't stem from him. 

Ken Penders: Feminism and Female Empowerment! Look how inclusive I am!

Also Ken Penders: Here's art of Hershey in a typical submissive female pose with beefy masculine Geoffrey. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

A lot of people say that Penders' art can look good without all of the splash-dash photoshop effects, but that just looks horrible. Like, straight up uncanny valley bad.

• Thumbs Up 3

45 minutes ago, horridus said:

Given that Penders repeatedly stated Hershey and Geoffrey weren't a thing in LSC, I'm a little shocked by him evidently indulging this given his usual attitude towards the things that didn't stem from him. 

My guess is that in a slight bout of self-realization, he's finding it to appease whatever audience he has left.

So we have sci-fi versions of a tender moment with Pepe Le Pew and Penelope from the uncanny valley. Judging from the expression, I would say he is looking to get some tail, if you catch my meaning.

And maybe sweet talk her with a French accent...

On 5/9/2021 at 9:29 AM, Razule said:

i've been out of the game for a minute vis a vis penders and seeing this was like a war flashback

10 hours ago, horridus said:

Not so much an update as it is an occurrence related to LSC, but Penders has decided to share this-

This is another I'm sure I've seen that pose before but can't think where pictures.

12 hours ago, horridus said:

They both look terrible but Hershey looks even worse than Geoffrey in my opinion. Like, her oval shaped face looks terrible Geoffrey's muzzle not looking as fluffy as Geoffrey's makes me feel like there's a grown woman under there stretching her body. And their noses shouldn't be that big either.

I figured out what those faces were reminding me of.

2OY8Luu.png

I don't wanna do this, but we gotta dump the quaaludes...

• Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, Sixth-Rate Soma said:

i've been out of the game for a minute vis a vis penders and seeing this was like a war flashback

Would you believe things have gotten much worse with Penders since you left? Cause trust me, they certainly have!!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

So is the book finally coming out after what 10 years of development?

• Chuckle 1

11 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Who said it was in development yet?

Do we know more about the app and why there's seemingly no book? I always thought this was going to be a book. Is it not anymore, or was it ever one?

Edit: removed the tweet because it was already discussed here.

18 hours ago, horridus said:

This is so ugly. They look too human is the problem.

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Apparently there is no physical book. It's all going to be on the app. I think? It's honestly hard to get a straight answer. 

19 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Ken Penders: Feminism and Female Empowerment! Look how inclusive I am!

Also Ken Penders: Here's art of Hershey in a typical submissive female pose with beefy masculine Geoffrey. 

If this existed in a void it wouldn't be so bad.

As it stands though, that is not the case- Hershey looks more nervous than anticipating and St. John looks more predatory than smoldering. If this is meant to be a tender or romantic scene, then Penders' is failing miserably to convey those things. And frankly, given Penders insistence that Geoff and Hershey AREN'T married in his take on things since that was a Bollers development, I got this sickening feeling that this isn't really meant as an emotional picture so much as it is St. John living up to his origins as a ripoff  reference to James Bond...

19 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

A lot of people say that Penders' art can look good without all of the splash-dash photoshop effects, but that just looks horrible. Like, straight up uncanny valley bad.

I myself prefer 'good by comparison', and even then its only really with the caveat of him drawing humans. This however is just wretched. Hershey looks like one of those cats from the CGI Cats movie as interpreted by Robert Crumb, and her butt looks like a deflating balloon. Like God damn, how do you mess up THAT badly?

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

As of yet there is still no set release date for any of this other than vague generalizations, and even then we need to get through the App with the prequel comic before we evidently get to the real meat of things. 

2 hours ago, Kittea said:

So I decided to check the replies to his pinned Tweet and there's this reply.

I always thought this was going to be a book? Is it not anymore, or was it ever one?

This is so ugly. They look too human is the problem.

If I remember correctly, Penders initially intended this as a physical release, but then decided to go digital and focus on releasing it through an App. I suspect that at the core of things, it is because it is easier to self-release via digital means than going through the efforts of either finding a mainstream publisher or going independent. 

And yeah, Penders work is pretty much a deeply uncomfortable middle ground between realistic humans and the style he used when working on the Sonic book. It's the end result of him simultaneously trying to differentiate this visually from Sonic, but at the same time not being entirely willing to do so- hence we get the worst of both worlds, and the end result is just an ugly, ugly mess.