Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On 6/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, Promethean0416 said:

Usually when new artwork of his characters, a rough snippet of a story outline is posted (see above for example), or even an update on a presumed release date, then yes there is critique to be said (which is usually always negative considering how he designs those characters). But the same thing has been said over and over again on how much it looks like uncanny valley, where he plans on taking the story, and the point of the matter is that it has not been released yet despite all the talk of getting it out there and getting international versions made as well as the fact that he is practically doing it by himself, which are likely factors in why it is taking so long.

But then again, a lot of these online comics out there update a lot faster and usually around this amount of time, get roughly 5-6 stories done (hazarding a guess, feel free to correct my math).

A lot of the people that read the old Archie Sonic comics during his and Ian's tenure have likely moved on to other things at this point, and hardly anyone would even remember these characters aside from those that still have a genuine interest in it. There is also a chance that online reviewers will pick it up and give their opinion on it but aside from those, I do not see it turning into a full-fledged franchise similar to Sonic, but this is just my opinion.

Yeah, pretty much. There's not a lot left to really say at this point, and there really won't be until he finally releases this mess... which frankly is looking increasingly unlikely given that it's been almost ten years now (and will officially be ten years since once 2022 rolls on by since he first announced all this), and we don't even have a vague clue as to when any of this is meant to release. While there will always be the eventuality of new aspects of this to focus on, we really are kind of just in treadmill mode at this point. 

Aand yeah, while the fact he's doing this alone DOES mitigate things a bit? It doesn't entirely excuse them, especially since Penders has in the past boasted about the fact that one of the reasons he was hired was because he 'got the job done'. His truly abysmal progress is inexcusable, especially given his insistence on devoting his efforts to an App and OTHER projects (that show a similar lack of progress). I can't speak to how many stories they get done, but yeah, Web Comics tend to get a lot more out than Penders has shown- even if he only did two pages a week every month, he'd at least have enough for a book or even two books *seven years ago*. 

His belief that this will be a franchise is pretty much a pure fantasy by this point. Not that it was ever gonna happen, but in the earliest days, he MIGHT have been able to rope new people in. By now though... I think even people who were intending to hate read it are just kinda done with him in general. 

On 6/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, Promethean0416 said:

spacer.png

EDIT: Here's what appears to be a "rough draft" of what appears to be a backstory on one of his main characters. Aside from the usual uncanny valley look, I am trying to wrap my head around the "4th wall" dialogue and why it is necessary.

I would hazard a guess that it's an attempt by Penders to make his info-dumping/expositing seem more 'natural' or 'excusable'. A rather poor attempt at that. 

Lien's dialogue makes me feel unclean for reading it, and the fact whoever she's talking to has a hand injury akin to Kragok's is setting off ALL kinds of alarm bells in my head... ugh. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder, I'm pretty sure that's the reprint of Mobius: 25 Years Later, not his big dumb book.

• Thumbs Up 4

53 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Sorry for the thread bump, but mark your calendars and see if this actually happens.

Stop trying to make your lame-ass fanfiction of a dead continuity canon, Ken. Save for a few lone DeviantArt groups you don't wanna associate with anyway due to the... vast political differences between them and you, no one fucking cares.

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Sorry for the thread bump, but mark your calendars and see if this actually happens.

And ruin a perfectly good calendar?

• Chuckle 5

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Stop trying to make your lame-ass fanfiction of a dead continuity canon, Ken. Save for a few lone DeviantArt groups you don't wanna associate with anyway due to the... vast political differences between them and you, no one fucking cares.

tbh i and many would care to see how shitty it ends up being.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Just a reminder, I'm pretty sure that's the reprint of Mobius: 25 Years Later, not his big dumb book.

Yeah it is. Plus he's said multiple times now that there will be a print version of the main book it's just coming later.

I'm assuming he's serializing each chapter on his app and then when a volume is finished it'll be collected in a Graphic Novel...huh. Doesn't that practice sound familiar? 😛

4 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Can he even do that?

26 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Can he even do that?

He shouldn't but apparently he can. 

• Thumbs Up 3

We'll see. Penders has made promises like this in the past and squelched every time, and those were more realistic and financially feasible than re-printing things into a book. Even if we ignore the legal dubiousness of this, it costs a lot of money to do what he's proposing, money he'd be very hard pressed to see a return on. 

Frankly though given how he's phrased things, I wonder if he WANTS Sega to do something, if only to give him publicity and public sympathy. 

But again- we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out, if at all. 

• Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, horridus said:

Frankly though given how he's phrased things, I wonder if he WANTS Sega to do something, if only to give him publicity and public sympathy.

At this point, this is all for attention. Nothing more. We all know he's never going to put up this stupid book, or reprints. Hell, he barely makes a new page just to give the illusion that this project is coming.

Again, this is all just for attention that he doesn't deserve.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, horridus said:

We'll see. Penders has made promises like this in the past and squelched every time, and those were more realistic and financially feasible than re-printing things into a book. Even if we ignore the legal dubiousness of this, it costs a lot of money to do what he's proposing, money he'd be very hard pressed to see a return on.

23 minutes ago, antyep said:

At this point, this is all for attention. Nothing more. We all know he's never going to put up this stupid book, or reprints.

While I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes nothing, I'm less certain about this one. He is promising this just under a year from when he intends to release it. That might be the closest announcement he's ever made to deadline. I can't recall any others closer. More importantly, as far as I can tell, the biggest barrier for TLSC is that Ken has to (well, feels like he has to) write and draw every single page himself, and he's not very skilled or quick at either of those. If it comes down to repackaging other stories, then I'd be much more inclined to believe he could make it happen.

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Can he even do that?

Ken holds the rights to his stories and characters, but he does not own the rights to Sonic's IP, characters, and most importantly (in my opinion) their designs. If he's really just reusing Steven Butler's art whole-hog, I think he may wade into some problems even if he changes everyone's names. A hog by any other name is just as blue.

Of course, this is a tenuous prediction at the absolute best, I'm just saying Ken likes to promise things further off than this.

The small number of people still engaged at this point will accept whatever excuse there is for it not happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how he can act like Ian's some sort of gate keeper for who can or can't appear in the comic.

My guy, Ian's politely saying that he can't legally bring back Mina or anyone created for the Archie comics because neither SEGA nor IDW own the rights and both parties don't see a point in trying to buy them back. IDW won't waste money buying the rights to characters that they'll lose should SEGA yank the license away and SEGA certainly won't want to buy back a bunch of characters they won't even use.

Hell, even if IDW did have an interest in buying up the rights to some of the Archie characters it's still up to SEGA.

Ken, you burned your bridges with SEGA. You could have played ball and been far more reasonable but you weren't. You told them it was your way (with demands) or the high way and they took off. You took a gamble and it blew up in your face.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 2

What a piece of garbage. Directly sabotaged a comic a lot of people cares about and has the gall to expect Sega to pay for his creations. Dude doesn't deserve a single cent from them and unless he gives them back for free are not worth saving, really amazing how he can be like this for so long 

• Thumbs Up 2

After I calledhim out for attention seeking he said it was "Pathetic even for me" and like even after all the condescending and talking down that somehow was the final straw for me and I blocked him. I hope nothing more for him to crash and burn.

• Thumbs Up 3

You guys have to give him credit, he's taking international clown week very seriously this year. 

Gotta love how Kyle responded and Penders got super pissy over that too:

What the fuck even is the point Penders is trying to make? He says Ian doesn't know what the legal situation is...when Ian says the legal situation is "we dont own these characters and therefore legally can't use them". And then he has the neck to go out here and act as if he's egging SEGA on, saying "I wish they'd use my characters so my lawyers have a easy payday" - ALL while he's planning to re-release work featuring SEGA characters for profit, and ripping off SEGA characters' designs in the process (fucking K'Nox). Is this just yet another 'SEGA should let me control this franchise for characters only a specific subset of people give a rat's ass about!"? 

I've seen this man scream into the void and say nothing for the sake of attention, but this time is astonishingly dumb.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just stumbled upon his latest tweet shitshow. God, I wish Sega had a way to take this moron to the cleaners... but I know that's not happening, so I'm just hoping and praying to God that he has no involvement in Prime. (He says he has no interest in returning to Sonic, thank God.)

2 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Just stumbled upon his latest tweet shitshow. God, I wish Sega had a way to take this moron to the cleaners... but I know that's not happening, so I'm just hoping and praying to God that he has no involvement in Prime. (He says he has no interest in returning to Sonic, thank God.)

IMO - Ken Penders is never going to be on any Sonic project again, period. He got SEGA caught up in two, count them - two lawsuits over his work, continues to be a consistent bother to them, is a widely disliked creator for the wider fanbase. In short, he isn't worth the trouble, and I can't see SEGA ever deciding that his subset of random echidnas that not many people care about is enough to ever consider making a deal with him for. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

Jesus Christ, the very state of Ken Penders' ego!!

Yes, just because you created something automatically means you're above any other creator who dares to use your characters, quality be damned.

• Thumbs Up 3

The man's lost his damn mind at this point. How he was able to swindle Sega/Archie with logic like this is beyond me...

16 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Jesus Christ, the very state of Ken Penders' ego!!

Yes, just because you created something automatically means you're above any other creator who dares to use your characters, quality be damned.

Let's ignore the fact that by this logic, that means Ken Penders used SEGA's creations, which means SEGA is actually well-above him, and by that logic, you could then claim that SEGA employees like Yuji Naka who were never involved with the comic itself contributed far more than him (which I mean, is actually probably a fair point as a Sonic comic wouldn't exist without Sonic, but again - this is more so on the actual contributions and writing of the comic).

But let's take into the account that Penders had wasn't even main writer for massive chunks of Archie Sonic (Bollers took that role up til the Knuckles comic was canned), Knuckles lasted only 32 issues, and the fact that Ian wrote well over 100 issues of the regular comic, over 60 issues of Universe, god knows how many issues of X, and all of the spin-offs, books, and whatever else inbetween, and the idea that Penders 'is above him' becomes absolutely laughable.

• Thumbs Up 4