Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

18 hours ago, Zaysho said:

10 years of "I had to give up Scourge for this shit?" is the worst possible anniversary.

I’m not even a fan of Scourge and I find this a kick in the nuts for his fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I’m not even a fan of Scourge and I find this a kick in the nuts for his fans.

It's a shame that they can't use Scourge due to this whole lawsuit ordeal.

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope Penders goes through with this comic and 20 years later and sega either sues or realizes the only way to stop this madman is by taking the Archie characters back.

But at this point it seems like wishful thinking.

• Thumbs Up 4

TBH, even if he gave back the Archie character, I don't think they would come back. First because SEGA is more interested by their own character, but secondly because they'll become older and older, and less and less relevant to newer fans. So I think that convincing SEGA to accept them back in a comics or stuff would be really difficult, even if all the Penders issues stopped.

So I feel that for them, the Penders affair is already "solved" as he is now basically just a old man yelling on twitter that he was the best and not doing its own comics sooooo better than the official, that can't really affect that much their product.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yea at this point Sally and the FFs have a better chance at being in IDW let alone the games than Penders’ characters…

…and that’s reaaaaally not saying much.

• Thumbs Up 3

Literally the only people who would take interest in this news are fans of said characters, all of whom can just use them in fan fics and fan comics. Nobody who actually has a solid foot in the entertainment industry will be interested in negotiating for the rights of Pepe Le Pew playing James bond or Scourge the evil counterpart of a character they can't even use.

I really feel like he hopes IDW and SEGA will somehow see this tweet and take interest which obviously they won't. Archie Sonic is deader than Disco Ken. I'm sorry.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, at least there's now a chance for Sega to bribe Ken enough cash for him to clear at least Scourge - and possibly Sally - for IDW and/or Sonic Prime's inevitable season 2. I know they won't, but hey... a guy can dream, right?

So um...this sounds like something that you'd only be saying if you realized the project you've spent a decade on is too big of a project and you're completely in over your head to me.

I'm almost expecting him to say he's sold his characters back to Sega at this point.

• Thumbs Up 4

The fact that he put friggin Scourge on the list show at the same time how much he is desperate and sketchy at the same time. The character is litterally "Evil Sonic", transformed by the writer after him.

It's literally the character that SEGA can the most easily create an expy of, without that character being downright Scourge. Especially in Prime where there is hundred of different way of having a "evil Sonic from another dimension". I mean, there is already several alternate evil version of Sonic. We also have in Sonic Boom a Mirror Dimension where the character are the opposite without being evil. They could also go the "uchronia" road, where an event corrupted Sonic (maybe taking inspiration from Super Sonic). They could even reference more the Glitch Sonic from Sonic 2, if they want.

TBH, I think that if SEGA want an "evil Sonic" again, they won't have to ask anything to Penders. And they won't want to.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 8/19/2021 at 9:16 AM, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, I think that if SEGA want an "evil Sonic" again, they won't have to ask anything to Penders.

Pretty much. And I believe we can all guess that it's happening in Prime at some point... I just hope they get him right.

Like, don't make "Evil Sonic" a joke. Treat him like the horrible terror that he should be; an effective god with little conscience and a penchant for delivering death and genocide with a smileTHAT is what an Evil Sonic should be like, not a lame frat-boy given the Devil's powers just because.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, to be fair even with the "multiverse" premise, i'm not sure if they'll want to create a Scourge/Evil Sonic (there are a lot of arguments against that, like that it have been down four times already, not counting the hundred of Metal Sonic and in a way Shadow, so in a way "Evil Sonic" could be seen as a "tired tropes"), what I'm sure is that if they wanted to, they would do it without consulting Penders.

( And I'm not even talking about how such a character could be, as there are a lot of question. Scourge (amplification of the ego of Sonic and removal of what make Sonic an hero) is just a way to do that, there are a lot of variation possibles. It could have an opposite "superficial personality", it could have a personality that seems "Sonic but more modern and morally perfect" at the first time, but a twisted manipulator, it could be a twisted version of Sonic basic tropes of "Sonic destroy bots", it could be a Sonic that work for the Eggman of his dimension, it could be a corrupted Sonic like Cinos or "Sonic the King", it could be a completely different character to happens to be a "Sonic"... Which for me prove how much they don't need Penders for that lol )

And about the other character he cited… Well to be frank, SEGA won't want any official character parents and stuff (if they want one, they'll invent them themselves), and they will care even less characters related to characters they aren't using :'). And as the Sonic Team seems to be involved in everything Sonic nowadays, the chances of a different company making Sonic stuff licence them to do that are nearly 0.

• Thumbs Up 1

On this development, I don't think that he is going to get much out of this from SEGA or IDW, which may conflict with certain mandates.  He may or may not get an interested fanfic writer or two, but I do not see this going anywhere due to that illusion of control that is there.

EDIT: Deleted due to misreading his post. Seems he is more open on how those characters will be used.

55 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

I really feel like he hopes IDW and SEGA will somehow see this tweet and take interest which obviously they won't. Archie Sonic is deader than Disco Ken. I'm sorry.

And he only has himself to blame.

1 hour ago, KingMario05 said:

Well, at least there's now a chance for Sega to bribe Ken enough cash for him to clear at least Scourge

That....would not be a good outcome honestly. If SEGA indulge him, actually paying him money for such, we all know he'd take that victory, run with it, and then inflate things to sooth his ego further.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

That....would not be a good outcome honestly. If SEGA indulge him, actually paying him money for such, we all know he'd take that victory, run with it, and then inflate things to sooth his ego further.

True. And he wouldn't shut up about it so...

Dammit. Dammit, dammit, god fucking dammit.

1 hour ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Honestly, I think the main reason he's doing this is so he can continue to pretend he isn't the reason the more popular characters he made (namely Scourge) aren't ever showing up in IDW. He can put this up and claim that SEGA could 'easily' include his crap by paying the license, while conveniently ignoring that SEGA has no real motive to use any of his stuff, and even less desire to so. I mean shit, one look at his insane, paranoid rants about Flynn ALONE would be reason enough for them to stay away, even without all the other stuff. 

It's just a pathetic cry for attention and an attempt to dodge responsibility for the fallout of his actions. 

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Honestly, I think the main reason he's doing this is so he can continue to pretend he isn't the reason the more popular characters he made (namely Scourge) aren't ever showing up in IDW. He can put this up and claim that SEGA could 'easily' include his crap by paying the license, while conveniently ignoring that SEGA has no real motive to use any of his stuff, and even less desire to so. I mean shit, one look at his insane, paranoid rants about Flynn ALONE would be reason enough for them to stay away, even without all the other stuff. 

It's just a pathetic cry for attention and an attempt to dodge responsibility for the fallout of his actions. 

Anyone's who's been following his tweets lately, knows that he'd blow a gasket, the minute "licensed" characters of his were supposedly written "out of character" as far as he's concerned. Forgetting walking on a tightrope or eggshells. It'd be permanent hell, having to stick to his stipulations.

And you just know, the only thing he'd love more than the money he gets out of the deal is being able to wave his ego held high, and have the pleasure of being able to shut SEGA, Flynn, or whomever is working on the comics down for "misusual" of his alleged property.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Well, at least there's now a chance for Sega to bribe Ken enough cash for him to clear at least Scourge - and possibly Sally - for IDW and/or Sonic Prime's inevitable season 2. I know they won't, but hey... a guy can dream, right?

Sega still owns Sally and the Freedom Fighters. They existed before Penders was involved in the series at all.

2 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

They could even reference more the Glitch Sonic from Sonic 2, if they want.

An Ashura reference would be amazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

By the way, this may be a bit unrelated, but how's Archie Comics doing right now?  Are they doing okay after the fallout with Penders? I brought this up because Sonic the Hedgehog was one of Archie Comics' highest selling comics at the time and I wonder how the lost of such a massive comic book series impacted their company?

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

By the way, this may be a bit unrelated, but how's Archie Comics doing right now?  Are they doing okay after the fallout with Penders? I brought this up because Sonic the Hedgehog was one of Archie Comics' highest selling comics at the time and I wonder how the lost of such a massive comic book series impacted their company?

They're still around doing their thing. I can't speak for how they're doing as a company but as they haven't folded and are still chugging out books, and Riverdale is still a thing on Netflix, I'd say they've more than moved on from the whole thing with Penders. Much like.... well, everyone BUT Penders. 

And evidently Scott Fulop, but other than that cringe inducing website he doesn't really seem to be active at all on the net. 

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Well, to be fair even with the "multiverse" premise, i'm not sure if they'll want to create a Scourge/Evil Sonic (there are a lot of arguments against that, like that it have been down four times already, not counting the hundred of Metal Sonic and in a way Shadow, so in a way "Evil Sonic" could be seen as a "tired tropes"), what I'm sure is that if they wanted to, they would do it without consulting Penders.

But remember, Ken invented the multiverse!

• Chuckle 2

6 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Ken has no rights on sally

• Thumbs Up 2