Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I'm reminded of the Fleeting Demographic Rule, which argues there is a rate of turnover in different products before most of the old target fans have moved on and old stories and ideas can be reused again.

Silver Age comics pegged this at three years. Wrestling at a much more (less?) generous seven. 

The old Archie comics continuity ended in 2013, eight years ago. One more than wrestling, and nearly three times what the turnover rate for comics used to be (I don't know what it is now).

On the plus side: What's old is new again! ...but then you can just make new characters for far less.

And on the downside, odds are a good chunk of anyone who cared has long since moved on.

• Thumbs Up 3

quota.thumb.png.975b51edb2eeaccd76d6a0a9f2da8c1f.pngI'm kind of hyper focused on this. That's just it, isn't it? Let's say SEGA took Scourge and made him pan in the comic. Well that goes against Penders' idea of him being straight, so Penders will write it out in his own book. Killed a character? Well no, Penders says they're still alive here.

When SEGA is licensing Sonic there's no doubt rules that apply, like don't give Sonic a gun. So if Penders is licensing his characters, he'd probably have some rules too.

Even if Penders says SEGA can do whatever, if he's writing a different canon, it's no doubt going to conflict.

• Thumbs Up 8

9 hours ago, AlienBunny said:

quota.thumb.png.975b51edb2eeaccd76d6a0a9f2da8c1f.pngI'm kind of hyper focused on this. That's just it, isn't it? Let's say SEGA took Scourge and made him pan in the comic. Well that goes against Penders' idea of him being straight, so Penders will write it out in his own book. Killed a character? Well no, Penders says they're still alive here.

When SEGA is licensing Sonic there's no doubt rules that apply, like don't give Sonic a gun. So if Penders is licensing his characters, he'd probably have some rules too.

Even if Penders says SEGA can do whatever, if he's writing a different canon, it's no doubt going to conflict.

Yeah, what Ken's saying here is really weird, why would he care about what happens to different incarnations of his characters? It's not like things that happen to Fleetway Sonic directly happen to game Sonic or Boom Sonic and need to be accounted for in the story. I think it's best to think of it like the characters are living entirely different lives. Either he's saying that in a lengthy and roundabout way or he's still trying to make TLSC the one true future.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Gee golly gosh, I do wonder why SEGA/IDW might be reluctant to work with a man intentionally spreading false information and hounding their current head-writer with blatant lies, and trying to send Sally/FF fans to rally against him.

Fucking scumbag of a man.

• Absolutely 8

As if asking for $10,000 per character wasn't asinine enough, now the guy is seriously trying to push the narrative that one writer could just as easily use those characters.

Uh huh. The characters that he claims to own and is charging through the nose for.

And he's acting like this one sole guy could easily do it.

I swear, his arguements literally collapse on top of each other with how much they contradict one another.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

As if asking for $10,000 per character wasn't asinine enough, now the guy is seriously trying to push the narrative that one writer could just as easily use those characters.

Uh huh. The characters that he claims to own and is charging through the nose for.

And he's acting like this one sole guy could easily do it.

I swear, his arguements literally collapse on top of each other with how much they contradict one another.

The literal only way Ken can "win" an argument is by tiring the other party out with ignorance, inconsistency or outright lying.

He can fight someone on how he very visibly loathes Ian, even with every evidential piece against a hypothetical "I don't have anything against the guy." And rather than focus on the hostility he'll focus on anything else but. Or at least, that's how I see it with him.

"You don't stay in that position by being a snowflake"

I, uh

I don't think the guy who quit because the editor wasn't letting him do whatever he wanted unchecked anymore gets to say that.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

"You don't stay in that position by being a snowflake"

I was waiting with bated breath for him to finally drop the angry boomer's favorite buzzword. *chef kiss*

• Way Past Cool 1

• Threw a temper tantrum and sued Sega and Archie over "his" characters being used, resulting in a reboot and eventual cancellation of the Archie comics
  • Charges a borderline extortionate amount of money for use of "his" characters that barely anyone remembers
  • Has had a one-sided vendetta against Ian for years, for no reason other than sheer bitterness that Sega doesn't want anything to do with him (gee, I wonder why), trash talking and spreading blatant lies about him every chance he gets

"Easy to deal with" is the last thing I'd say to describe Penders.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I'm loathe to say anything to defend Mr. Snowflake here, because even when he's right about something, you know there's something wrong with it, but...

I was under the impression that it was $10,000 for the whole lot. Like when you get a license for Sonic, you're usually getting the whole cast, rather than just Sonic himself.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I'm loathe to say anything to defend Mr. Snowflake here, because even when he's right about something, you know there's something wrong with it, but...

I was under the impression that it was $10,000 for the whole lot. Like when you get a license for Sonic, you're usually getting the whole cast, rather than just Sonic himself.

You're correct, technically. But when the only characters of the bunch people might give a rat's ass about is about...three total, then it looks much more ridiculous. 

It's also been pointed out that $10,000 is about the entire budget of creating one whole issue, which would significantly eat into the comic's budget so we can get beloved comic superstars such as Dr. Quack and Dylan the Porcupine back.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You're correct, technically. But when the only characters of the bunch people might give a rat's ass about is about...three total, then it looks much more ridiculous. 

It's also been pointed out that $10,000 is about the entire budget of creating one whole issue, which would significantly eat into the comic's budget so we can get beloved comic superstars such as Dr. Quack and Dylan the Porcupine back.

Oh, I'm not arguing any of that, but "per character" still means that even just getting Scourge AND Elias alone would be $20,000 over the established period (plus all other terms and conditions), and that's not the case.

Ken pulls enough crap on his own to call him out on, we don't need to effectively make stuff up to go on about, too.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

To add to this he's asking for 10 grand because that's what Sega licensed Sonic for once again showing how out of touch this man is.

So in his usual bouts of grandeur (or desperation really), to make up for the fact that he can't really back up his arguements,  Ken has left the duty of research....up to the people he's debating.

Uh huh....yeah. Resorting to the whole "look up my argument's sources on Google" BS maneuver.

Absolutely sure that doesn't mean he's just full of crap and stalling. :U

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

So in his usual bouts of grandeur (or desperation really), to make up for the fact that he can't really back up his arguements,  Ken has left the duty of research....up to the people he's debating.

Uh huh....yeah. Resorting to the whole "look up my argument's sources on Google" BS maneuver.

Absolutely sure that doesn't mean he's just full of crap and stalling. :U

Sure, like Google and the Internet is going to do any good....

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, what gets even richer is how he explains his "reasoning":

Yeah, they do that to support their arguments Kenny.

And yet, for some mysterious reason, you can't be arsed to do the same. Hmmm. It's almost like that information doesn't exist in your favor.

• Thumbs Up 5

I too get extremely tired and upset at people ruthlessly oppressing me by demanding I provide evidence for the wild accusations I make about people constantly

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 6

There isn't even any benefit on Pender's end to anyone watching that podcast. Ian just professionally said that there are legal hurdles that are preventing the use of any Archie characters from what I can recall. There was no finger pointing. No take thats, not a hint of malice. Absolutely nothing that remotely justifies Penders hostile response.

• Thumbs Up 6

I learned in high school, maybe earlier, that if you provide a statement to be taken as fact, the burden of proof lies with you, not your opponent.

This is some basic-ass debate club shit. But then again, this is the guy who seems to believe "cosplay is not consent" is something people just made up to troll him...

Source:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/494327506334269440?s=20

• Thumbs Up 4

Just a reminder to everyone: it is very important to this man that you know he's definitely a feminist

• Thumbs Up 6

33 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Just a reminder to everyone: it is very important to this man that you know he's definitely a feminist

The way he wrote Sally, really tends to beg a differ.

• Thumbs Up 2

More people need to call Ken out on how he'd be nowhere if it weren't for Sonic SatAM. He butchered the SatAM characters and concepts for the most part, but without SatAM, half of his concepts would not even exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mega said:

More people need to call Ken out on how he'd be nowhere if it weren't for Sonic SatAM. He butchered the SatAM characters and concepts for the most part, but without SatAM, half of his concepts would not even exist.

Hell he wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for Sonic period. Like outside of this series all he has to his name are 3 pages of Valiant Legend of Zelda comics and drawing some Star Trek comics here and there as big noteworthy things.

Sonic is and always will be the only thing he did that was popular and that's because it was a part of one of the single most popular things of all time.

Like you could argue the same for Ian but at least he's contributed to popular comics like IDW TMNT and the MLP/Transformers crossovers and has at least once gotten to write Superman and worked with a great like Mark Waid. All-in-all Ian is way more successful than Penders can ever hope to be and he'll always be bitter and jealous of that.

• Thumbs Up 3