Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On 9/7/2021 at 4:17 AM, SkyHorizon said:

Aside from that, I've always thought that all the whole "Dingo stuff" was totally redundant. I mean, it was a badly executed clone of the Dark Legion. Which was a badly executed clone of the Brotherhood when you look at the similarities you pointed out :)

I always found it funny Penders tried to make the Dingoes both fascists and a mistreated minority.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I always found it funny Penders tried to make the Dingoes both fascists and a mistreated minority.

Yyep. Its a clear indication that he doesn't think to care much about WHAT he's referencing or ripping off. Just that he includes it in his work and plays it off like he made it himself.

The Dingoes were weird, man. They were depicted as downtrodden working class people, then they were suddenly this city-conquering Nazi regime, then as protesters for the Echidna politics. They were all over the place in terms of characterization, basically suited to fit the role of whatever threat Penders wanted to include in that issue. =P And you'd think they'd be depicted as sympathetic, considering they live under the Echidnas and are considered deserving of their poverty because they're like lesser people...but instead Penders makes them Nazis when they rise up against them, as if to justify why everyone on the island hates them.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

Well this has no end.

I removed your off-topic complaining about the thread once already. If you don't care find another thread to post in instead of thinking you can barge in and dictate what people post about. Take the hint. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 9/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

And he wants to make a movie out of that, why?

Penders views filmmaking as the end game of comic books and the ultimate example of a comic book 'making it', in addition to the money that would theoretically come from such a thing. Honestly, given the way he treats movies, I legit think he's someone who wanted to be a filmmaker but 'settled' on comics as a means of generating content to be made into films. Just look at his obsession with getting a Knuckles film made. 

On 9/8/2021 at 4:42 PM, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Whataboutism is the most powerful tool in the Penders playbook.

I still crack up at the time he justified the Echidna/Echyd'nya all looking alike in-universe with the fact that old school star trek and Marvel used to do the same. As if those weren't some of the most heavily criticized parts of retro-science fiction, that 'Ditto Aliens' makes them less of a species and more of a singular mass. 

Anyway- not a real update, in fact it's just Penders doing that 'Oh I Got This WONDERFUL Idea Thing' that he does, but we may or may not have the replacement name for Robotnik in this verse-

Either that or, god help us, he's trying to somehow make THIS a thing-

Robotnikuw.png.44562552fd3809d499a4b6211ac10cd1.png

If it's the former though... well, I wasn't expecting a lot of effort, and yet somehow this is still less than what I expected. Even in the face of 'Warlord Kintobor'. 

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

I don't know how off-topic this is, but I guess it's about Penders' writing. 

I've been wanting to read a Knuckles spinoff that focuses more on Echidna lore. Is Penders' Knuckles spinoff comic absolute garbage or should I give it a read? I'm willing to overlook flaws if a story is still enjoyable, but Penders is Penders, and I don't totally trust it considering it started this whole Echidna mess.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I've been wanting to read a Knuckles spinoff that focuses more on Echidna lore. Is Penders' Knuckles spinoff comic absolute garbage or should I give it a read? I'm willing to overlook flaws if a story is still enjoyable, but Penders is Penders, and I don't totally trust it considering it started this whole Echidna mess.

Take it from someone who spent a big chunk of his childhood obsession over every little detail of that series- it's not enjoyable enough to ignore the flaws, not even remotely. As a kid, I liked it because I liked Knuckles and was too inexperienced a reader to recognize what it was I was actually reading, and eventually I realized I liked it more for the hypothetical ideas than the actual content, until eventually realizing that so much of it was just... a waste of time. The lore that is presented in that book doesn't hold up under any serious scrutiny, and the attempts to tackle 'deep' subjects come off as more ludicrous than anything. The Brotherhood doesn't do anything up except take up page space, and all the while there are promises of things leading somewhere big that never come to fruition. 

I'd recommend reading it purely for the purposes of research. Otherwise in terms of quality, there's not a lot going on.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The Knuckles comics can be enjoyable sometimes. Other times they feel like a bore. Sometimes they can be offensive, especially if you think about them too much. Overall they are definitely not great, but they're not completely bad. If you keep your expectations low, you may find them somewhat worthwhile. I don't regret giving them a try, since there are some decent stories, but other stories felt like a longwinded waste of time. Especially since sometimes it's overly dense with lore and loses the plot of actually being a fun Knuckles comic.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, horridus said:

I don't understand... why is it when he does something like this, I feel like I'm hating myself for having read it instead of him?

5 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

This is what reading Penders' Knuckles series reminds me of, in a nutshell:

21 Abe Simpson Moments That Will Never Not Be Funny

Probably his Sonic stuff, too.

Really, though, I'd say it's almost like a D&D or other RPG manual, where there's a lot of potentially good ideas just begging for a GM to flesh them out, except the RPG stuff is usually already better-developed. If D&D, etc. is like buying a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, then Penders' stuff is more like getting the box of macaroni without the cheese sauce packet.

• Chuckle 5

13 hours ago, horridus said:

Anyway- not a real update, in fact it's just Penders doing that 'Oh I Got This WONDERFUL Idea Thing' that he does, but we may or may not have the replacement name for Robotnik in this verse-

I love how all the sequelsare "Let's see what X is doing" so nice to know that just like M25YL Lara-Su is barely even going to factor into her own story.

Also if Eggman is dead at this point what does it matter? Is he going to incorporate the fact Ian had them join the Empire? Because apparently Everything is Canon.

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Because apparently Everything is Canon.

I'm pretty sure he means that in a "there's a multiverse (that I created), so all of Ian's stuff still happened... just way over there, far out of the way of my TRUE sequence of events!" way.

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I'm pretty sure he means that in a "there's a multiverse (that I created), so all of Ian's stuff still happened... just way over there, far out of the way of my TRUE sequence of events!" way.

Fair enough. I'm still wondering what it matters to the events of this story that the Dark Leg...cyberdark colony fought Eggman once? 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Fair enough. I'm still wondering what it matters to the events of this story that the Dark Leg...cyberdark colony fought Eggman once? 

Considering he only came up with the idea after a decade of working on this, probably not at all

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/10/2021 at 3:48 PM, SBR2 said:

Honestly, I think that's just him trying to 'correct' the events of Return to Angel Island and basically 'prove' that his Dark Legion/Cyberdark Colony or whatever the fuck is superior to Eggman/Robotnik. Which in turn makes it hard to be excited for this plot point even in the hypothetical given the whole 'the Legion could eat Eggman and all versions of him for breakfast' line. 

The whole thing is just juvenile, and by this point him speculating on what he's going to do is just him jingling keys for the people who still think he's gonna deliver on any of this. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh boy. Can't wait to hear more talk about the app than the actual book.

• Absolutely 1

15 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Which ruling was this so we can try and predict what he's gonna say?

Here we go:

• Federal Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers on Friday handed down a decision in a closely watched trial between Apple and Epic Games.
  • Rogers issued an injunction that said Apple will no longer be allowed to prohibit developers from providing links or other communications that direct users away from Apple in-app purchasing.
  • Rogers said Apple was not a monopolist and “success is not illegal.”

These were the key points.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Penders can own variants of an existing character like Scourge, wouldn't that mean Sega owns variants of his characters, like Dark Enerjak and Anti-Jules?

42 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

If Penders can own variants of an existing character like Scourge, wouldn't that mean Sega owns variants of his characters, like Dark Enerjak and Anti-Jules?

Unfortunately no. 
By the time Archie got there act together with contracts and paperwork they realized just how much stuff created for the comic couldn't legally belong to them and SEGA. The only variants that could be kept are literally ones not created nor based off of Ken's characters such as Rosey the Rascal, Cutlass Depardieu, Dagger Walrus, Scarlette Rabbot Demo Duck and Blockbuster. Though I doubt we'll ever see any single one of them again all things considered.

1 hour ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Unfortunately no. 
By the time Archie got there act together with contracts and paperwork they realized just how much stuff created for the comic couldn't legally belong to them and SEGA. The only variants that could be kept are literally ones not created nor based off of Ken's characters such as Rosey the Rascal, Cutlass Depardieu, Dagger Walrus, Scarlette Rabbot Demo Duck and Blockbuster. Though I doubt we'll ever see any single one of them again all things considered.

I still don't really understand how Sega can't use variants of his character if he can use variants of theirs.

I could see Sega buying Scourge off of Penders solely to avoid Lara-Su having any ties to Sonic, considering they'd want to avoid the franchise's reputation being dragged through the mud once again.

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I still don't really understand how Sega can't use variants of his character if he can use variants of theirs.

Simply put: Penders is a hypocrite, and SEGA doesn't want to go to the effort and expense of explaining why in a court of law, especially when it's taking so long for him to actually produce anything that would be infringing that he's drafting future generations into his scheme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are non-character concepts like Chaos Knuckles' form also owned by Penders, can he not do that, or did he not bother to copyright them?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 1:14 AM, horridus said:

Either that or, god help us, he's trying to somehow make THIS a thing-

Robotnikuw.png.44562552fd3809d499a4b6211ac10cd1.png

If it's the former though... well, I wasn't expecting a lot of effort, and yet somehow this is still less than what I expected. Even in the face of 'Warlord Kintobor'. 

I'd assume he got the name back when he 'won' back his characters, and is re-using...wait, he was trying to use the Kintobor name in Lara-Su Chronicles?