Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Uh... uh... uh...

Is that... is that for real...? It looks like a low budget parody...!

Babylon 5 has better CGI than that! 

What the actual fuck?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh... uh... uh...

Is that... is that for real...? It looks like a low budget parody...!

Babylon 5 has better CGI than that! 

What the actual fuck?!

No, no. This was real. He was serious. I could hardly believe it myself at first...

For those actors' sakes, it's just as well it seems to be in development hell.

I wonder if the actors were embarrassed when they seen the trailer. I sure would be.

Though, a part of me that loves cheese loved the guy's flight thing. lol

And that came out, what, in 2009?

So f*cking amateur on every conceivable level, yet he insists people are more than willing to help you.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, there's one thing I've been legitimately curious about these last few years...

...how is Penders actually getting any money while he's wasting spending all his time on this Lara-Su shit? What's his source of income?

It just baffles me how he's even putting food on the table when he doesn't seem to have actually done anything since he was let go from the Sonic comic, save for work on his own abominations.

You know, there's one thing I've been legitimately curious about these last few years...

...how is Penders actually getting any money while he's wasting spending all his time on this Lara-Su shit? What's his source of income?

It just baffles me how he's even putting food on the table when he doesn't seem to have actually done anything since he was let go from the Sonic comic, save for work on his own abominations.

Probably either a menial low wage job in which he tries to advertise his eventual rise to glory while everyone thinks he's a lunatic...

Or he's doing inking and pencilling anonymously or something...

Isn't he married (who the hell would)? He could just be leeching off his wife if so. :P

If not, let's try and find which McD's he works at. :lol:

And a statement during tbe suit was that he didn't have enough cash to even travel to New York or something.

My bet is he eats cheapo food and gets unemployment from the gov't.

Isn't he married (who the hell would)? He could just be leeching off his wife if so. tongue.png

If not, let's try and find which McD's he works at. laugh.png

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with stay-at-home husbands, if that's what they want to do and their partner has the income to support it. 

I've actually got a quick question for any of you with a handle on Penders's old sayings. I've been trying to renovate the LSC wiki all morning into something more readable (under an old alias), but I've hit a roadblock with this article. Rewriting it is simple enough, but I simply don't have the citations for all these sayings. Do any of you have an idea where I can find a reference to all of these?

@Soma: You can probably find reference for at least some of those statements via his twitter. Most of them honestly sound like things fans have pieced together from looking at his actions or picking apart anything he's said in a public space. Though, to be honest, most of that page reads more like outright mockery as opposed to actually poking holes in his logic. That's me though.

Here's where their bit about the Nocturnus probably comes from at least. And this is the closest I can find to compare what they said about him "owning" Knuckles, which he doesn't say (he just claims to have brought value to him, which is at odds with what he's said in the past about only creators being able to add value to their characters... which, unfortunately I can't find at the moment, but I know I've seen from him before).

I'm sure there's stuff all over his forum, too, though I couldn't even begin to think of where to look...

Thank you kindly, comrade. If the rest of you feel up to it, you can help me editing over here. I'm trying my best to make sure the wiki remains snarky, but in a classier, more informative way, a la Transformers Wiki, and you guys have far more info on your hands than I do.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well since Penders is that delusional, two can play at that game! Web comic style!

So how's this for a premises that leads to the getting back to the Prime Zone story:

Sonic comes to after being engulfed the white light of the Genesis Wave, but find himself aboard a space station floating in the middle of an unknown pocket dimension. As Sonic wonders where he is and tries to recall his last encounter with Eggman, he is suddenly approached by a mysterious BEM alien. The Bem alien explains how he was able to detect his life presence from another zone and was ableto save him from being bound to the altered Prime Zone (Post SGW world). At first Sonic is confused by what he meant by that, but the BEM alien then explains that the reality he's from is in a damaged state, and the neighboring zones have been erased as a result, thanks to a force that tampered with it. "Eggman!" Sonic exclaimed. The BEM alien also tells him that Sonic wouldn't be able to return even if he wanted to. Sonic demands to know what happened Tails, Amy, Silver, and the rest of his friends. The BEM alien then shows him to a computer surveillance room, with a huge monitor present, much to Sonic's surprise. The BEM alien explains that he has been monitoring and making a census list of every being in existance from each zone, and that Tails is unfortunately bound to the altered Prime Zone with possibly no memory of the previous world, while Amy and Silver's whereabouts are unknown. Sonic also remembers that the arctic Freedom Fighters were with them too when they were going up against Akhulut and Mecha Sally. The BEM alien explains that Sally is too safe, but like Tails, has no memory of the previous world. Seeing the growing concern in Sonic's face, he decides to cut to the chase and tell him the true reason as to why he brought him to his dimensional surveillance room. The BEM alien explains that nearly 2/3rds of the population between the altered zone and Sonic's prime zone has been erased, much to Sonic great shock. After a brief pause of silence, Sonic hesitantly asks who exactly has been erased. With feeling of heavy burden, the BEM alien opens up a document, containing a long and lengthly list of those who have been erased. He goes on to read out names such as Jules, Bernadette, Lobo, Marcos, Maria (Wolfpack), Reynard, Archimedes, Penelope, Arlo, Dylan, Hamelin, Elias, Megan, Rob O' the Hedge, Mari-An, the Felidae, Lyco, Leeta, Aerial, Athena, Hope, Fiona, Scourge, Saffron, George Sommersby, Horatio Quack, Friar Buck, Lil' John, etc. In a devasted state of mind as he continues to read, Sonic quickly outbursts "STOP!!!!!!! No more!...........no more.......". As Sonic gets a grip on the subject, he asks how could this have happened and why were they specifically erased, the BEM alien wonders this with as much concern as him. He then indicates that this maybe more than a mere coincidence. An nearby voice then says "It is.". From the shadows, the person reveals himself to be none other than Harvey Who, whose clothes are worn out and tatered. While the BEM alien says that he wondered where he went off to, Sonic remembers him from their previous encounter from way back. Sonic then asks the BEM alien how he and Harvey know eachother. The BEM alien mentions that he met him a few days ago. After Harvey Who briefly explains to Sonic about the Secret Freedom Fighters and his behind-the-scenes work around New Mobotropolis, he then begins to tell him about the recent events he was involved in. However, the conversation is interrupted by two more BEM aliens to alert their leader that their guest is coming to. As the five head to the other room to check up on the person in mind, Sonic then discovers that it is no other than Knuckles himself.

End of Part 1. I don't know if I'll summarize anymore, but I'll list some brief expainations to anyone interested. I know it's not as good as Flynn, but at least I'm trying to get our characters back to where they need to be.

BTW, the whole BEM thing is tentative. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I'd personally love to see a fan-comic based off Prime and all that, even more to write for it (I'd draw it but I have the artistic abilities of a retarded cockroach) -- but I think it'd be best to start it off right where it left off, no need for aliens.

Sonic stops Eggman in the cross-over -- stopping the laser from hitting the Chaos Control and wakes up where he was left off with Mecha Sally, Tails, Silver, etc. aboard the Death Egg. Basically an alternate reality where Sonic fixes time.

Of course, if this ever happened, I'd want the person(s) writing it to go back and read the entire comic series over again.

I'd love to do it, myself. But again, awful artistic skills.

Wonder what Penders would do if it happened. lol

It'd probably be a good idea to put some disclaimers on the footer of the website, though.

Honestly, if this was going to be attempted, it would be better to wait for Ian's Lost Hedgehog Tales to come out so it can be recreated in the way it was initially intended.

But that's just my recommendations.

• Thumbs Up 4

I thought about that as well. Honestly, the whole fan-online comic continuation thing ran in my head for a while.

On one hand, it seems like the purest route to take. On the other, if fans were to do their own take, it's more of showing their own abilities and writing style.

Penders would probably have the audacity to pull a major cease & decist on anyone who would try to continue the old story. I'd LOVE to see him try.

Sadly, he's crazy enough to do it. This is also to same guy who tried to sue over Dark Brotherhood and Mega Collection, they same guy who expect people to pay him to draw his characters, the same guy who's on the internet more than any writer who has written anything commercially released. 

This guy has WAY too much free time.

Fan works can be a very mixed bag... I personally think StC Online is generally terrible. I'd worry that StH Online would go the same route. One of the reasons StH has been so awesome since Flynn took over arguably is the hand of Sega keeping things in check. No such check would exist in a fan comic and you could end up with the same kind of egotistical writing that we're so critical of Penders for.

• Thumbs Up 3

True, but I feel some people can keep themselves in line, keep from injecting too awful material into the fan comic, know there's some lines they can't cross.

And, at times, I'm a bit critical of SEGA having the say on some things, a lot of what they say can make little sense, and some things they done in the past is almost as bad as Penders. Almost.

As long as the fan knows a bit of what they're doing, I don't think it'll go too rough. Maybe a little bit, but not too bad. I'm also a bit lenient on just fans creating things than actual businesses. I suppose I have a double standard there.

• Thumbs Up 1

True, but I feel some people can keep themselves in line, keep from injecting too awful material into the fan comic, know there's some lines they can't cross.

And, at times, I'm a bit critical of SEGA having the say on some things, a lot of what they say can make little sense, and some things they done in the past is almost as bad as Penders. Almost.

As long as the fan knows a bit of what they're doing, I don't think it'll go too rough. Maybe a little bit, but not too bad. I'm also a bit lenient on just fans creating things than actual businesses. I suppose I have a double standard there.

No, not at all. I think it's totally fair to have different standards for fan works. Fan works are under no obligations towards the franchise or to its audience. They can be as weird and wild as the creator wants. Fan works are an expression of the creator's views of the franchise, so if they want to cut loose and make it a furry teen drama, they can do. If they want to sideline all the official characters and turn their comic into an epic interplanetary war story with West Wing style political subplots, they can do.

Ahem.

Point is, fan works don't have to please everyone, because they're the stories the fans themselves want to tell, and that's fine. That's beautiful and wonderful. And they have much more niche audiences anyways. But official works truly represent the franchise and need to follow certain standards, because they have the more general audience. The point I'm making is that an StH Online should at least try to maintain similar standards if it views itself as the spiritual (ugh...) successor of the old continuity. After all, with the Flynn era of StH, it seems it's those standards that made the comic so fucking awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Point is, fan works don't have to please everyone, because they're the stories the fans themselves want to tell, and that's fine. That's beautiful and wonderful. And they have much more niche audiences anyways. But official works truly represent the franchise and need to follow certain standards, because they have the more general audience. The point I'm making is that an StH Online should at least try to maintain similar standards if it views itself as the spiritual (ugh...) successor of the old continuity. After all, with the Flynn era of StH, it seems it's those standards that made the comic so fucking awesome. 

Oh, yes. Absolutely. The way I feel is that those who start this, if it happens, would do it because they love it and want to continue it.  I ask myself, when writing some some stories for my own purpose, "Does this sound like the characters I'm writing about?" For this, "Does this sound like Flynn era Sonic?"

So, I feel the spirit would probably be in there. That's the point, after all.Flynn works because he understands that. It's a Sonic comic, should be about Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Amy, etc. Due to the subject, it's also about the Freedom Fighters, Snively, and the other characters play support and stuff.

I suppose, for this, there should be ground rules in place, certain "mandates", if you will, that people cannot cross when writing. Granted, they're under no legal obligation, but those who did it should respect it.

With Penders, however, he went wild with it, but he wasn't a Sonic fan to begin with. He didn't respect the series, the characters, or anything. He respected only his own work.  And he's not a great writer to boot. Ian respect them.

So, whoever is the writer, needs to understand and respect the subject. While they can go a little bit more loose, in the end, it's still Sonic and the point of this fan comic is to continue what was left and lost.

Bringing the subject back to Penders, I was reading KtE #6 this morning, and this final panel amused me...

tumblr_n7vj9gnPbe1teg32yo1_1280.png

"Oh yeah, we threw in Knuckles as a bonus!"

That... is a lot truer than implied... throughout the series as a whole. This is what we call kidding on the square

• Thumbs Up 3

With Penders, however, he went wild with it, but he wasn't a Sonic fan to begin with. He didn't respect the series, the characters, or anything. He respected only his own work.  And he's not a great writer to boot. Ian respect them.

To be fair, not being a fan wasn't really the problem; the writers of StC weren't fans of the games either, but they bothered to research the material they were writing for and make use of it even as they put their own spin on things. Penders big problem was that he was Penders; an egomaniac and sub-par writer, and as you said, only really respected his own work and ideas. His ego led him to believe that fans were buying the comic solely BECAUSE of his ideas rather than the fact that it was something that featured their favorite video game and tv characters. 

Frankly, even if he HAD been a fan, I don't think things would have turned out much better either. He's just not very good at any of this, when you get down to it. 

To be fair, not being a fan wasn't really the problem; the writers of StC weren't fans of the games either, but they bothered to research the material they were writing for and make use of it even as they put their own spin on things. Penders big problem was that he was Penders; an egomaniac and sub-par writer, and as you said, only really respected his own work and ideas. His ego led him to believe that fans were buying the comic solely BECAUSE of his ideas rather than the fact that it was something that featured their favorite video game and tv characters. 

Frankly, even if he HAD been a fan, I don't think things would have turned out much better either. He's just not very good at any of this, when you get down to it. 

True, but from what I understand, StC writers did respect the subject, whereas Penders doesn't. He only respects his own work, and even then its abusive respect.

Like I said, he's not a very good writer, but it probably would be less ugly if he did have respect for it. Not pretty, but less ugly.

• Thumbs Up 1

True, but from what I understand, StC writers did respect the subject, whereas Penders doesn't. He only respects his own work, and even then its abusive respect.

Like I said, he's not a very good writer, but it probably would be less ugly if he did have respect for it. Not pretty, but less ugly.

Possibly.... I should really track down those Star Trek issues he wrote, (all 4 of them or so), if only to see how he holds up when writing for something he DOES respect (the guy is a vocal trekkie). I'm betting it'll just be horribly boring rather than horribly boring and asinine.