Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

51 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

It literally just dawned on me but Ken should really leave his Facebook and Twitter up because if he deactivates either it'll make it that much easier for some people to impersonate him.

Yeah and the people who impersonate him might make lots of false claims against him that he didn't do.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, horridus said:

Penders never bothered to really promote anyone else to the position after BobR passed on.

Passed on? As in dead or even he got sick of Penders' crap?

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

He passed away.

Ah, I didn't recall this ever getting brought up in the thread prior. Sheesh. His big fan mod has died before the first issue of Lara-Su Chronicles saw a single sale, let alone, release. Good grief.

I'm surprised this twitter thing is neither somehow already a parallel to the TLSC plot or inspiring another re-write.

Just now, Rabid-Coot said:

I'm surprised this twitter thing is neither somehow already a parallel to the TLSC plot or inspiring another re-write.

Give Ken enough time and he'll proclaim he realized how "genius" his writing was by discovering a parallel.

7 hours ago, Razule said:

He passed away.

Ah, I've completely botched the timeline of things- this happened years after Penders basically abandoned his old site and forum. Ah well, my point remains that he never really seemed to entrust the duties of moderator to anyone else but BobR, and I doubt there's anyone else he'd be willing to take a chance with for his Discord/New Forum. 

3 hours ago, horridus said:

Ah, I've completely botched the timeline of things- this happened years after Penders basically abandoned his old site and forum. Ah well, my point remains that he never really seemed to entrust the duties of moderator to anyone else but BobR, and I doubt there's anyone else he'd be willing to take a chance with for his Discord/New Forum. 

Ugh.  Bob Repas was someone I knew personally and the reason I was introduced to Ken in the first place.  He was a creepy nasty man, and I feel safer now that he’s gone.  But it’s telling that Ken kept a monster like that as a best friend.  

(Sorry I had to get that out)

Anyway, Ken has a couple of people sucking around now, and one of them apparently colours his art now.  So maybe he’ll go to one of them for mod duties.

• Thumbs Up 2

Double update:

Seems it's the beginning of the end. Anyone going to take the plunge to see what his site/message boards are like?

7 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Double update:

Seems it's the beginning of the end. Anyone going to take the plunge to see what his site/message boards are like?

Nope. 

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

Double update:

I swear that feline doctor looks more and more like the Live Action Grinch with each update. Also, pretty sure we've seen this panel before at some point or the other.

And I'm gonna take a hard pass on signing up. This entire project has been a waste of time and effort for everyone, and its clearly never going to finish. If he doesn't think the public is worthy of seeing his 'progress', then he can languish in his private kingdom till the End Times for all I care. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

17 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

This is a rather "enlightening" take on how he approached the Knuckles comic series and where he is planning on taking this subject into TLSC:

https://kenpenders.com/blog/

It's rather comforting that Penders even now retains that uncanny talent of his to type up scads of words while simultaneously saying nothing whatsoever. Most people when making a blog post about worldbuilding religion for their project might take the time to actually elaborate on said religion(s) of the setting, give some insight into where the people here come from theologically speaking. Not our boy Penders though, oooh no, why actually enlighten us about this facet of the Echyd'nya's lives when he can go on rambling, meandering tangents about his own relationship with religion and his work on Knuckles? 

Only Penders. Oooonly Penders. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

18 hours ago, horridus said:

It's rather comforting that Penders even now retains that uncanny talent of his to type up scads of words while simultaneously saying nothing whatsoever. Most people when making a blog post about worldbuilding religion for their project might take the time to actually elaborate on said religion(s) of the setting, give some insight into where the people here come from theologically speaking. Not our boy Penders though, oooh no, why actually enlighten us about this facet of the Echyd'nya's lives when he can go on rambling, meandering tangents about his own relationship with religion and his work on Knuckles? 

Only Penders. Oooonly Penders. 

I love how he starts off talking about Knuckles and how the LSC stories are a direct continuation of the Sonic comics but then swears up and down that K’Nox isn’t Knuckles.  Dude if he wants this to be a direct continuation, why doesn’t he just rewrite and retcon the initial story?  Turn Sonic and Sally and Espio into original characters?  He did that with Rotor.  Now he’s a Rhino.

1 hour ago, babsiwuff said:

I love how he starts off talking about Knuckles and how the LSC stories are a direct continuation of the Sonic comics but then swears up and down that K’Nox isn’t Knuckles.  Dude if he wants this to be a direct continuation, why doesn’t he just rewrite and retcon the initial story?  Turn Sonic and Sally and Espio into original characters?  He did that with Rotor.  Now he’s a Rhino.

Perhaps it’s hard to come up with alternate enough designs and names that people would recognise them and bring him into a lawsuit he isn’t so lucky with, K’nox as years later knuckles looks different enough from normal knuckles but king sonic is sonic with a crown at most

3 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Perhaps it’s hard to come up with alternate enough designs and names that people would recognise them and bring him into a lawsuit he isn’t so lucky with, K’nox as years later knuckles looks different enough from normal knuckles but king sonic is sonic with a crown at most

K’nox is literally just Knuckles if fugly and overdesigned.

10 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

Dude if he wants this to be a direct continuation, why doesn’t he just rewrite and retcon the initial story?  Turn Sonic and Sally and Espio into original characters?  He did that with Rotor.  Now he’s a Rhino.

To begin with, if he goes through THAT effort then there's no point to trying to sell his old work. From the start he's made it clear he wants to profit off of his Sonic and Knuckles work continually, and if he explicitly retcons and reworks everything not only does that take a lot of time and effort (which is anathema to him)? It also kills whatever potential interest people have in his work. No matter what he likes to claim, he knows the only thing that people are interested in is his Sonic work. He needs that connection more than anything, hence why for all that he changes, he ultimately does as much as he can to retain those Sonic elements, hence why the Echidna are now 'Echyd'nya' and still look like SEGA Echidna squeezed into a human mold. 

Likewise, he also knows which characters are the biggest draws. Rotor has fans, but he's never been the kind of A-Lister that Sally or Sonic or Knuckles is. As such? There's no real problem with actually changing him extensively into a new character to serve the same function Rotor did in the original stories. Sally and Sonic on the other hand? They're 'The Princess of Acorn' and a 'Blue Spined Erinicidae' (which basically means Hedgehog), and much like 'K'nox' have to retain as much of their original self as he can legally manage. 

It's all just utterly staggering, self-serving cynicism at the end of it, and a quiet admission of his continual dependence on a Franchise he always disdained and dismissed as 'beneath him'. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, horridus said:

To begin with, if he goes through THAT effort then there's no point to trying to sell his old work. From the start he's made it clear he wants to profit off of his Sonic and Knuckles work continually, and if he explicitly retcons and reworks everything not only does that take a lot of time and effort (which is anathema to him)? It also kills whatever potential interest people have in his work. No matter what he likes to claim, he knows the only thing that people are interested in is his Sonic work. He needs that connection more than anything, hence why for all that he changes, he ultimately does as much as he can to retain those Sonic elements, hence why the Echidna are now 'Echyd'nya' and still look like SEGA Echidna squeezed into a human mold. 

Likewise, he also knows which characters are the biggest draws. Rotor has fans, but he's never been the kind of A-Lister that Sally or Sonic or Knuckles is. As such? There's no real problem with actually changing him extensively into a new character to serve the same function Rotor did in the original stories. Sally and Sonic on the other hand? They're 'The Princess of Acorn' and a 'Blue Spined Erinicidae' (which basically means Hedgehog), and much like 'K'nox' have to retain as much of their original self as he can legally manage. 

It's all just utterly staggering, self-serving cynicism at the end of it, and a quiet admission of his continual dependence on a Franchise he always disdained and dismissed as 'beneath him'. 

This recent post of his strengthens your statement further, especially the last part:

https://kenpenders.com/community/news-and-notes/enerjak-parallel/#post-52

Though I am wondering which of the discussed characters/groups he means in his response...

14 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

This recent post of his strengthens your statement further, especially the last part:

https://kenpenders.com/community/news-and-notes/enerjak-parallel/#post-52

Though I am wondering which of the discussed characters/groups he means in his response...

That response of his is super confusing.  What 25 year asset?  Is he referring to the Archie comics? And is he upset that people might use his concepts or might not?

I did notice that he’s not screaming about “enerjak” so maybe someone told him to knock it off?

18 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

That response of his is super confusing.  What 25 year asset?  Is he referring to the Archie comics? And is he upset that people might use his concepts or might not?

I did notice that he’s not screaming about “enerjak” so maybe someone told him to knock it off?

Yeah, he's talking about the Archie comics. It's something he likes to tout as justification for his notion that Archie has some kind of super enormous fanbase despite it only ever being a niche part of the franchise, and despite the fact that he only really values HIS contributions to it. The fact SEGA found it much easier to just be done with it all rather than have anything to do with him never really seems to cross his mind. 

Ideally, Penders not yakking about Enerjak might have something to do with him finally learning to not run his mouth off without getting his facts straight, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

8 hours ago, Adamis said:

I don't remember any mention of powerful echidnas in the game ?

You don't because there weren't. The person putting this in front of Penders is either deliberately trying to get a reaction out of him or is every bit as media illiterate as Penders himself. 

• Absolutely 1

Well THIS is a thing.  Apparently Ken had photos from pre-production of Spider Man 4, and the photos went absolutely VIRAL.

I have to admit, Ken's a huge hot mess, but he does have a ton of connections.  It's a good reason why he's so obnoxiously full of himself, but I'll admit, I've met some of the folks he knows, and his connections are weirdly solid.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1597048420501291009?s=20&t=v-cVOkXiRMz74OSkWpl-Qg

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

Well THIS is a thing.  Apparently Ken had photos from pre-production of Spider Man 4, and the photos went absolutely VIRAL.

I have to admit, Ken's a huge hot mess, but he does have a ton of connections.  It's a good reason why he's so obnoxiously full of himself, but I'll admit, I've met some of the folks he knows, and his connections are weirdly solid.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1597048420501291009?s=20&t=v-cVOkXiRMz74OSkWpl-Qg

Yeah, this was a surprise. Heck, after posting those tweets, he gained a few hundred followers within a day. Even NY Times featured him on an article:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/28/spider-man-4-pics-show-john-malkovitchs-vulture-costume/

• Thumbs Up 1