Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Basically a whole thing about idiots complaining about diversity in comics and harassing comics creators and those who don’t fall with their views but can we please see about getting back on top on Ken?

I should point out- that 'new' trailer? It isn't new at all. It's the same 'new' trailer he released over four years one Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRepublicTV/videos/10154227475884854/

All of this is just Penders doing as Penders does- re-releasing the same crap he always does and then pretending it's some new breakthrough, all without ever providing so much as a hint as to when any of this is meant to be released. 

It's an old, old song and dance by this point, on all fronts. 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, horridus said:

I should point out- that 'new' trailer? It isn't new at all. It's the same 'new' trailer he released over four years one Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRepublicTV/videos/10154227475884854/

All of this is just Penders doing as Penders does- re-releasing the same crap he always does and then pretending it's some new breakthrough, all without ever providing so much as a hint as to when any of this is meant to be released. 

It's an old, old song and dance by this point, on all fronts. 

Good lord, the acting and camera work on this is awful!  The quality reminds me of something I’d see with a half ass Christian children’s show.

Why in the world does Ken think this is anything to be proud of?  I couldn’t even make it halfway through that trailer!

13 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

Good lord, the acting and camera work on this is awful!  The quality reminds me of something I’d see with a half ass Christian children’s show.

Why in the world does Ken think this is anything to be proud of?  I couldn’t even make it halfway through that trailer!

It's kind of a thing with him- that basically since he made something, it is deserving of praise for the fact it was made. Not because it was made well or because it was interesting, but the fact it was made at all. When he first released that abortive trailer for the Lost Ones, people called out the cheap-ass green screen effect. He insisted they were wrong to do so because it was 'the same as Hollywood', regardless of the fact that it wasn't the technique they were criticizing but the fact he'd done it so badly. 

Yeah, it all looks pretty dated, and IIRC, the only change that he made on The Republic was he replaced Bush with Trump in the opening sequence. Not sure what upgraded sound he is intending to put on it before release, but even if he had access to the best stuff, not sure if it will be enough to make it tolerable.

On his Lost Ones trailer, I agree it is definitely dated too (both these trailers came out in 09?), because I remember not only the cheap effects, but didn't he "borrow" some music from a couple of well-known movies (Watchmen and Iron Man)?

On 12/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, Promethean0416 said:

Yeah, it all looks pretty dated, and IIRC, the only change that he made on The Republic was he replaced Bush with Trump in the opening sequence. Not sure what upgraded sound he is intending to put on it before release, but even if he had access to the best stuff, not sure if it will be enough to make it tolerable.

On his Lost Ones trailer, I agree it is definitely dated too (both these trailers came out in 09?), because I remember not only the cheap effects, but didn't he "borrow" some music from a couple of well-known movies (Watchmen and Iron Man)?

It was more like a Sneak Peak than an actual trailer, an excerpt from the supposed first episode of the Republic. That being said, the Republic was initially conceived of as a kind of commentary about the George W. Bush era of the presidency and featured footage of him. He kinda stopped talking about it during the Obama years only to rev it back up once Trump started getting attention with a new scene directly referencing the president, IE the 'new' trailer we just got... thus leading us to that incredibly cringe inducing 'Trump Card' pun. Knowing him, the Republic will be altered yet again the next time there's a Republican in the White House. 

And yes, he did indeed 'borrow' music for the Lost Ones. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdiHDzT6YbQ

You listen to the first minute or so and its the exact same track. From what I've heard there WAS originally Iron Man trailer music in the Lost Ones, but it was later replaced with the more Generically Cinematic music we now 'enjoy'. 

On 12/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, horridus said:

It was more like a Sneak Peak than an actual trailer, an excerpt from the supposed first episode of the Republic. That being said, the Republic was initially conceived of as a kind of commentary about the George W. Bush era of the presidency and featured footage of him. He kinda stopped talking about it during the Obama years only to rev it back up once Trump started getting attention with a new scene directly referencing the president, IE the 'new' trailer we just got... thus leading us to that incredibly cringe inducing 'Trump Card' pun. Knowing him, the Republic will be altered yet again the next time there's a Republican in the White House. 

And yes, he did indeed 'borrow' music for the Lost Ones. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdiHDzT6YbQ

You listen to the first minute or so and its the exact same track. From what I've heard there WAS originally Iron Man trailer music in the Lost Ones, but it was later replaced with the more Generically Cinematic music we now 'enjoy'. 

This reminds me.  Earlier this year, he said the Republic was done.  So...it's NOT done?

(Also why does he only use that ONE font for everything he does?)

14 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

This reminds me.  Earlier this year, he said the Republic was done.  So...it's NOT done?

(Also why does he only use that ONE font for everything he does?)

So he claims aside from a recent update saying that he is working to "enhance the sound" before he decides to release it. Then again, he has been hardly ever known to meet deadlines in the past on more than one occasion...

45 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I though Ken said he was done with Twitter?

That he did. Quite dramatically, at that. As predicted, it seems to have been little more than posturing. 

12 minutes ago, horridus said:

That he did. Quite dramatically, at that. As predicted, it seems to have been little more than posturing. 

Yeah, I have a feeling he only said that to get more attention.

Just now, Rabbitearsblog said:

Yeah, I have a feeling he only said that to get more attention.

Pretty much. Everything else he does is a performance, so hey, at least he's being consistent. 

6 hours ago, horridus said:

Pretty much. Everything else he does is a performance, so hey, at least he's being consistent. 

Yeah, though it did not hurt to prepare in case he stuck to his guns. But who knows, he may actually make a deadline of sorts...eventually...maybe.

And yeah, he seems to be using it more frequently again than his new forums, which have been dead for over a month now aside from the occasional news update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 4:24 PM, babsiwuff said:

Speaking of which, his "fans" gave him a lot of Christmas presents this year.  Someone loves him a ton, if they were able to score him a Knuckles plushie from Build-A-Bear!

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1608607761738379264?s=20&t=dXlCT5NdAbuftZCa1uR8Hg

Well, more power to him. Glad to see he had a good holiday. Anyway...

I'm no writer or storyteller, but shouldn't one make the main story involving these characters first BEFORE all this extra stuff is made? I always thought these data files were created for the characters after the main story featuring them would be done, and then as time goes on for these stories, to gradually build up these characters until they get to a certain point to where their bios can be made with all of their pertinent information along with extras.

But I digress...

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I'm no writer or storyteller, but shouldn't one make the main story involving these characters first BEFORE all this extra stuff is made? I always thought these data files were created for the characters after the main story featuring them would be done, and then as time goes on for these stories, to gradually build up these characters until they get to a certain point to where their bios can be made with all of their pertinent information along with extras.

But I digress...

By necessity for the entire premise the history of these characters are different so I think his idea is that it quickly catches new readers up to speed on those not familiar with the old comics 

Him: "Let's talk about what I'm planning for Avengers: Infinity War..."

Fan: "Dude, I'm still waiting for that Iron Man movie!"

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

21 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

But I digress...

Yeah, pretty much. While writers keeping internal files in order to keep the facts of the story straight are one thing, those aren't things you share with people AS you are making the story. Penders is pretty much declaring that he's prioritizing what is essentially the 'gimmick-y' part of things over the actual story itself. It's the sort of thing you see with newbie Webcomic creators who are SO excited to show off their their world and characters that they dump a bunch of info in character pages, before we actually reach the parts where they're introduced. 

9 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Him: "Let's talk about what I'm planning for Avengers: Infinity War..."

Fan: "Dude, I'm still waiting for that Iron Man movie!"

I said it once and I'll say it again- Penders isn't counting his chickens before they hatch. He's planning the international fried chicken RESTAURANT CHAIN before purchasing his first hen and rooster. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Is this the vital story of um actually if that fight happened my characters would win?

Oooh yeah. He's been very adamant about how the Dark Legion- oh, excuse me, the CYBERDARK COLONY could 'eat Robotnik for lunch along with any version of him'. Nearly twenty years later and he's STILL ass-pained over Eggman beating the Legion. 

Ah yes, the whole “this isn’t a Sonic story but I’m going to use Sonic characters and pick up where the Sonic comic left off” creed.  9.9

I wonder how much he won’t get done this year?