Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

18 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

An update on the Archie art he was working on. Looks like he got some coloring/inking done from the looks of it...

Also, anybody going to WonderCon this year?

It's frustrating to see this. This is pretty great proof that he can in fact color things in decently, and yet when it comes to the Lara-Su crap he always insists on doing that weird texturing/shading thing he does that makes everything come off looking greasy and abused by the burn tool. There's always these little signs that he could've made something, if not good, then at least decent looking... and yet for whatever reason he just refuses to actually play into his strengths. It's maddening.

• Thumbs Up 5

23 hours ago, horridus said:

It's frustrating to see this. This is pretty great proof that he can in fact color things in decently, and yet when it comes to the Lara-Su crap he always insists on doing that weird texturing/shading thing he does that makes everything come off looking greasy and abused by the burn tool. There's always these little signs that he could've made something, if not good, then at least decent looking... and yet for whatever reason he just refuses to actually play into his strengths. It's maddening.

Let's see what happens with this pic.  So far he hasn't added any shading.

4 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

Let's see what happens with this pic.  So far he hasn't added any shading.

Oh, I don't doubt for a minute that the end result is going to wind up looking grease slathered like everything else he makes these days. It's the way of the Penders at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, don't make me go to bat for the guy...

The piece has a very retro Archie-looking vibe to it, and so far, the coloring seems to match that. He might keep it that way as a stylistic choice in homage to the past.

Of course, if his usual way of coloring wasn't cringe, then I'd say the smart play would be to offer versions in each style.

Then again, if he was to use his norm, that would be the smart play anyway.

And now we have a pretty plain title page with a poor art version of Alternate Lara-Su (wait, which one's the alternate again?) that looks like it was put together with little effort:

EDIT: Adding info on initial prices he is planning on charging.

EDIT 2: Adding new tweet and to give my opinion, if it is anything like the previews he showed at last year's Comic Con, then it's got some ways to go before it ever matches up to a modern style. But that's just me...

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.

It is hard to say which is the alternate, but then again, was there ever any alternative?

Spoiler

20230312-Femchidna.jpg.f26f25d90b23a8f25cd0b11553a5459b.jpg

People still do this meme, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sure, Ken. Sure you will. I'm sure people are going to be very interested in badly edited reprints of Sonic comics. And they're DEFINITELY going to be intrigued by Lara staring with her dead eyes while a badly drawn version of who she used to be poses next to her. And of course the masses are going to be all too willing to shell out 40 bucks for the hardcover copies you don't have. And I'm sure when you half-ass things on the big day, just like you've done every other Big Day you've announced, you'll have a wonderfully convincing excuse at the ready.

Just like virtually every other time you've done this over the last solid decade.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, horridus said:

Sure, Ken. Sure you will. I'm sure people are going to be very interested in badly edited reprints of Sonic comics. And they're DEFINITELY going to be intrigued by Lara staring with her dead eyes while a badly drawn version of who she used to be poses next to her. And of course the masses are going to be all too willing to shell out 40 bucks for the hardcover copies you don't have. And I'm sure when you half-ass things on the big day, just like you've done every other Big Day you've announced, you'll have a wonderfully convincing excuse at the ready.

Just like virtually every other time you've done this over the last solid decade.

I'm sure they'll shell out for the 40 buck hardcover copies the same way they shelled out for the IPhone 5 cases and the acorn badges!

yeah so none at all

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, horridus said:

Wondering…. He’s given up licensing his characters and the NFT thing.  Think he’s done with both those endeavours?

On 3/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, babsiwuff said:

Wondering…. He’s given up licensing his characters and the NFT thing.  Think he’s done with both those endeavours?

Hadn't heard anything about the NFT thing, so probably on that one. As for the other thing, that's up in the air, especially with his comment on a certain character's availability until later this year...

But I digress. Anyway, new update on the Archie art though I don't see much of a change, I can probably excuse it as due to how the pic was taken plus the lighting, but others can throw their two cents on this if need be.

There is such a thing as "attention to detail" but from what has been shown so far, I am not seeing this so-called "multimedia experience" that he is talking about as to why it is taking as much time as it has to even come close to releasing his first chapter/volume/book/whatever. 

At least he is being a little more honest on when (or if) the "multimedia experience" is finally released, though doesn't it have something to do with Sega too?

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

There is such a thing as "attention to detail" but from what has been shown so far, I am not seeing this so-called "multimedia experience" that he is talking about as to why it is taking as much time as it has to even come close to releasing his first chapter/volume/book/whatever. 

At least he is being a little more honest on when (or if) the "multimedia experience" is finally released, though doesn't it have something to do with Sega too?

I’m honestly getting cheesed about this.  The debut of his app turned out to be something he showed off in 2016.  No further progress and he just cycles through because he knows people forget.  

Basically he’s not drawing anything or doing anything but gives the illusion he is and I hate it.  And his reprint of M25YL will never ever see the light of day, because it’s a story that literally features Sonic, Knuckles, and a chunk of SatAM characters.  He’d have to redraw the whole thing to fix that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can anyone make heads or tails on what this means?

I mean, I can understand getting severely injured from leaping from too great a height even in water, but yeah, this has me baffled. If he's trying to create intrigue or mystery for this "multimedia experience", I am not sure if this is the best way to do it. Also, from the cover, wondering if it's Anthony Mack...sorry, the Commander who is going to leap in with her? To theorize (seeing who gets my references):

Is she under a villain's control thinking she is leaping from a waterfall?

Is she following a legend of sorts, like one with a sleeping statue?

Did she drop some money down the waterfall and now she has to dive down to get it before her next bill is due?

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

This man can't even settle on the details for his story, let alone pay them any kind of meaningful attention. That he is trying to insist its taking so long due to him having a perfectionist streak is laughable given the quality of what he's shared so far, or rather the incredibly distinct LACK of quality and care.

His fixation on doing a multimedia release is built upon him seeing himself as a legitimate media competitor rather than the Indie comic creator that he is in reality. He doesn't/refuses to grasp that the reason big companies due huge multi-media releases with tie-in stuff is because they have the resources and means to do so as part of a greater strategic plan to build profit up. Likewise, multi-media releases have SOMETHING to base their release upon- a book or a movie or tv show or SOMETHING.

I swear he does this because he legit thinks he can recapture the kind of media release Sonic had back in the 90s, without pausing to think of the disparity between what he can do and what an actual game company could do.

3 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Can anyone make heads or tails on what this means?

I mean, I can understand getting severely injured from leaping from too great a height even in water, but yeah, this has me baffled. If he's trying to create intrigue or mystery for this "multimedia experience", I am not sure if this is the best way to do it. Also, from the cover, wondering if it's Anthony Mack...sorry, the Commander who is going to leap in with her? To theorize (seeing who gets my references):

Is she under a villain's control thinking she is leaping from a waterfall?

Is she following a legend of sorts, like one with a sleeping statue?

Thoughts?

I can answer that one actually. A while ago Penders released tidbits of the book's script, and to make a long story short Rutan challenges Lara-Su for the right to be Guardian, and like an idiot she accepts. Part of that challenge involves diving into a river off a waterfall as depicted here.

Penders might think he's created the core 'meaningful' moment, but the way the script depicted things I get the feeling that it's going to be a lot less symbolic and dramatic than what he's thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Penders might think he's created the core 'meaningful' moment, but the way the script depicted things I get the feeling that it's going to be a lot less symbolic and dramatic than what he's thinking.

Aw man, c'mon! You just don't get it! Don't you understand that by having Lara-Su foolishly throw her guardian status into jeopardy so she can prove that she isn't afraid to take dares, that she's really proving...

thinking.gif

it uh

it

it proves she...isn't afraid of dares.

uh

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

19 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. I mean, Ken has been doing the Lara Su Chronicles for over 10 years at this point and yet, there's still nothing to show for this project.  And it just seems like recently he just pointed out that he wanted to try a multimedia approach to this.  Why didn't he mentioned this when he first announced the Lara Su Chronicles series?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. I mean, Ken has been doing the Lara Su Chronicles for over 10 years at this point and yet, there's still nothing to show for this project.  And it just seems like recently he just pointed out that he wanted to try a multimedia approach to this.  Why didn't he mentioned this when he first announced the Lara Su Chronicles series?

He has, many times.  Any time anyone asks about the deadline, he pontificates about his stupid app, and how it's more than just a comic like he's better than any comic creator out there.  Meantime, I have several pals of mine who have been regularly putting out webcomic arcs and have used the internet, social media and hard copies to sell their work.  

Meanwhile, in the time it's taken this moron to even produce 5 pages of his comic, Archie finished its run, IDW started theirs, and the latter has ended up carrying over various writers and artists that started in the former.  Everyone involved has since overshadowed anything Ken will ever do.  But even after all that, he still thinks he's better than everyone.  It's a crazy cycle.  

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

He has, many times.  Any time anyone asks about the deadline, he pontificates about his stupid app, and how it's more than just a comic like he's better than any comic creator out there.  Meantime, I have several pals of mine who have been regularly putting out webcomic arcs and have used the internet, social media and hard copies to sell their work.  

Meanwhile, in the time it's taken this moron to even produce 5 pages of his comic, Archie finished its run, IDW started theirs, and the latter has ended up carrying over various writers and artists that started in the former.  Everyone involved has since overshadowed anything Ken will ever do.  But even after all that, he still thinks he's better than everyone.  It's a crazy cycle.  

Yeah, I've seen a lot of artists and writers complete their works in a small amount of time. But I don't see anything from Ken Penders other than a few artworks he has made.

I will say that despite the few previews and script tidbits he has revealed in which he hasn't shown much, this is a pretty poor comparison to a real-world event (pretty sure he has done this before too):

Maybe whenever he fully releases his "multimedia experience" will there be a better idea of how this compares to before...

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I will say that despite the few previews and script tidbits he has revealed in which he hasn't shown much, this is a pretty poor comparison to a real-world event (pretty sure he has done this before too):

Maybe whenever he fully releases his "multimedia experience" will there be a better idea of how this compares to before...

This comparison is disgusting and Penders is disgusting for making it, especially given the ongoing nature of the conflict. If he had an ounce of empathy or care for the people of Ukraine and their struggle he'd not do this kind of shit and instead focus his efforts on ways he can do help for them rather than shilling his insipid book and trying to hype himself as a writer.

• Thumbs Up 4

Penders has been doing this shit for years and will absolutely never admit any fault for it. It is so fucking gross.

I learned who this guy is in the same breath I was told to blame him for the loss of some narrative elements I liked. There are posts in this thread from years back where I was an angry teen who was sure there could've been no wrongdoing on the corporate side and he was a swindler with no right to his works.

Obviously, I have a more nuanced understanding now. I see the legal hurdles that caused the scenario, how Archie and SEGA fucked up, and really I just think private intellectual property law is a capitalist scam and both sides should be able to use whatever characters and concepts they like so long as the work created isn't plagiarized.

With the advent of newer better Sonic comics, the games and shows having better stories and a more general feeling that the stories told with his concepts were used to their best potential, a lot of that anger should've faded. But instead, the distaste has only grown as he just cannot be anything but the nastiest fucking dude. It's getting more and more uncomfortable trying to even talk about his silly comics when the looming factor of him being a complete creep is an elephant in the room that just will not stop growing.

I can't even begin where to start! It's one thing for me to make youtube videos where I point out how misogynistic his writing is, how he normalizes and apologizes for parental abuse, how he trivializes real-world atrocities and bigotries and injustices by trying to Sonic-ify them and failing spectacularly, and how...well some of it is just straight-up racist. But at least what is fictional is what is contained, to some extent. A writer can make mistakes, even huge mistakes, and come away looking fine by confronting those problems and working to improve (I would also like for his work to be less boring and clunky and logically-dysfunctional, but one step at a time). Penders constantly wants to celebrate how progressive and feminist and morally-upstanding he is. But all that showboating is such a god damn farce, when he is misogynistic in real life. When he doubles down on his condoning of abuses. When he relentlessly assaults us with direct comparisons to current real-world atrocities and bigotries and injustices, and uses them to not just advertise his shitty vaporware comic app bullshit, but to directly attack anyone and everyone who disagrees with or contradicts him. Or when he's just...still straight-up racist in real life, plenty of times. It's been fifteen years since the last thing came out with his name on it that anyone noticed, and he clearly has not learned a god damn thing. Now, every day I see his name I get a new revelation about exactly how bad he not only is, but always has been (and worse).

I just...I'm kind of at a loss here. Is engrossing ourselves in this man's shittiness a form of digital self-harm? I'm not gonna stop making my videos, obviously, but I feel like there is almost nothing good about keeping this thread here, or at least me continuing to reside in it. I think I need to stop, and not come back until either something actually releases (unlikely) or he realizes that other insane & cruel people are his only remaining consistent demographic, and begins marketing to them directly (possible).

• Thumbs Up 8

7 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Penders has been doing this shit for years and will absolutely never admit any fault for it. It is so fucking gross.

I learned who this guy is in the same breath I was told to blame him for the loss of some narrative elements I liked. There are posts in this thread from years back where I was an angry teen who was sure there could've been no wrongdoing on the corporate side and he was a swindler with no right to his works.

Obviously, I have a more nuanced understanding now. I see the legal hurdles that caused the scenario, how Archie and SEGA fucked up, and really I just think private intellectual property law is a capitalist scam and both sides should be able to use whatever characters and concepts they like so long as the work created isn't plagiarized.

With the advent of newer better Sonic comics, the games and shows having better stories and a more general feeling that the stories told with his concepts were used to their best potential, a lot of that anger should've faded. But instead, the distaste has only grown as he just cannot be anything but the nastiest fucking dude. It's getting more and more uncomfortable trying to even talk about his silly comics when the looming factor of him being a complete creep is an elephant in the room that just will not stop growing.

I can't even begin where to start! It's one thing for me to make youtube videos where I point out how misogynistic his writing is, how he normalizes and apologizes for parental abuse, how he trivializes real-world atrocities and bigotries and injustices by trying to Sonic-ify them and failing spectacularly, and how...well some of it is just straight-up racist. But at least what is fictional is what is contained, to some extent. A writer can make mistakes, even huge mistakes, and come away looking fine by confronting those problems and working to improve (I would also like for his work to be less boring and clunky and logically-dysfunctional, but one step at a time). Penders constantly wants to celebrate how progressive and feminist and morally-upstanding he is. But all that showboating is such a god damn farce, when he is misogynistic in real life. When he doubles down on his condoning of abuses. When he relentlessly assaults us with direct comparisons to current real-world atrocities and bigotries and injustices, and uses them to not just advertise his shitty vaporware comic app bullshit, but to directly attack anyone and everyone who disagrees with or contradicts him. Or when he's just...still straight-up racist in real life, plenty of times. It's been fifteen years since the last thing came out with his name on it that anyone noticed, and he clearly has not learned a god damn thing. Now, every day I see his name I get a new revelation about exactly how bad he not only is, but always has been (and worse).

I just...I'm kind of at a loss here. Is engrossing ourselves in this man's shittiness a form of digital self-harm? I'm not gonna stop making my videos, obviously, but I feel like there is almost nothing good about keeping this thread here, or at least me continuing to reside in it. I think I need to stop, and not come back until either something actually releases (unlikely) or he realizes that other insane & cruel people are his only remaining consistent demographic, and begins marketing to them directly (possible).

I agree with this.  I have my own reasons for despising Ken.  But the fact that he's just as hideous and selfish to other people makes me feel better, knowing that it's not just me, you know?  At the same time, I honestly started rooting for him a little when I started seeing what I thought was new material.  But then I found out that NOTHING was new, this was stuff he drew eons ago, that he cycles through to make himself look important to the idiots who make up his fans.

I guess I stick around this thread because occasionally he does something exceptionally disgusting or phobic, or even just plain odd, like the NFT thing or that horrible pic of Tails he did.  Watching him obliviously dig himself deeper has a gross kind of fascination to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like he is now ready to sell these prints and so far, as of this post, looks like he managed to sell 6 of them: